Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

7 Series - E38 (1995 - 2001)

Old 04-22-2011, 11:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 740il
00 740iL - White smoke. Ahhhhh, what now????

When I start up my baby, either in the morning or after she has been still for about an hour, I get a cloud of thick white smoke from the tailpipe. It smells awful, like burning rubber or something along those lines. It will pour out of the exhaust for about 5-10 seconds, and then stop. help!!!!
Ads by Google
Old 04-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2000 BMW 740I SPORT
White Smoke on start up is the classic OSV back cover plate. The IC cover is located and mounted on the back of the manifold. Theres a rubber diaphram that cracks..You`ll have to remove it and there 7 Torx head screws that will make you want to cry...They are hard to remove because they are brittle heads..They strip easily...Removing the Manifold is your best move ..There u can remove the torx heads with Vice grips..Replace the torx head bolts with HEX HEADs instead....I did this ...Also when u install new one make sure u buy the orange rubber gasket...Also theres 4 rubber gaskets on the manifold that need replacing..They CANNOT BE RE-USED...

Torx head bolts that are a PITA
2000 740i Sport , Alpina 21`, Alpina Lip, Alpina Deco Stripe kit,Dinan 7,Dinan TB, DINAN CAI, DINAN Exhaust, Dinan Software Stage 5, Dinan manifold, Highline individual interior,Eibach/Bilstein,Zimmerman Timing guides done
Old 04-22-2011, 12:08 PM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
Is the engine running hot? Is the smoke just white or white-blueish? Smells like rubber or like burned oil? When it smokes is the engine cold? Oil consumption? Check your oil and coolant levels. Millage on the car?

Rubber smell and white smoke could indicate a failure in your coolant system...Again, is the engine overheat?

Oil smell and white-blueish smoke could be due to a failure in crankcase ventilation system (PCV/rear cover of the intake and related gaskets/seals) or your valve stem seals are very worn. Again, millage on the car?

To better pin point your problem, more information is needed.
Old 04-22-2011, 02:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 740il
The smoke is thick and white, and does not happy when car is fully warmed up. Only in the morning when I start it for work, and if it's been sitting for more than about an hour. The car has 157,000 miles on it. The car does not overheat.
EESH, OSV looks a bit much for me--not mechanically inclined. But hopefully I can find someone to dig into it...
Old 04-22-2011, 04:56 PM

Mein Auto: '99 740IL, K75RT
at 157k miles you could have the crankcase issue as well as the valve stem seals. Similar symptom's. If you running on 0W/5w or synthetic I suggest to move to a thicker (10W/15W) non synthetic and ad some oil additive to it. It work's for me. When the oil is fresh (less than 500 miles on it) the smoking still happens more likely the crankcase ventilation is your issue. If the smoking comes after the oil is worn/used a bit more more likely the valve stem are your issue.
Old 11-15-2013, 10:14 AM

Mein Auto: 1997 740 IL
CCV Valve Fixed Smoking-$60 Part

The CCV valve replacement ($60) remedied the embarassing oil smoke 100%. Its amazing.