Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-28-2016, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: 89 525i
water pump repmacement

hello, im new to the whole bmw thing. ive recently purchased a 525i that was running fine, but now requires a water pump im thinking. I already have the new pump, and am stuck trying to get the old one out... im no mechanic by any means, but am capable of replacing this with the appropriate guidance. ANY, and all help would be greatly appreciated, as this is my primary transportation.
Advertisement
Old 01-28-2016, 06:40 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
First you should get a Bentley manual. Second all I remember on the water pump removal (it was weird and I did not like it, the 535i's water pump is much easier)

1. remove fan and belts (remember the fan clutch is reserve thread)
2. remove all of the bolts
3. Now there are 2 spots on the water pump (I believe on the side) that you take 2 of the bolts and tighten them in, which will push the pump out.
4. Sorry that is as far as I remember.

Andy
Old 01-28-2016, 07:09 PM

thank you andy.
I have the new pump but don't see any threaded holes for such a reverse pressing to happen... isn't there a link to the Bentley manual on here somewhere?
Old 01-28-2016, 10:10 PM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Should be an M20 motor according to the vintage. Four bolts hold it on once the pulley is off, IIRC. It's been a while since I last wrenched on an M20.

Plenty of helpful links in the sticky's at the top of the forum.

OP, where about in AZ are you?
Old 01-29-2016, 04:37 AM

Mein Auto: 535i 1989
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radian View Post
Should be an M20 motor according to the vintage. Four bolts hold it on once the pulley is off, IIRC. It's been a while since I last wrenched on an M20.

Plenty of helpful links in the sticky's at the top of the forum.

OP, where about in AZ are you?
Crap I missed that.

What I said is all wrong.

Andy
Old 01-29-2016, 02:11 PM

I looked in the Bentley manual and it shows a pump that has 2 hose connections and mine clearly has only 1... all of the other pumps for the m50 and m60 ect are completely different from mine. also it says that there is a spring in the bottom of the pump that has something to do with the tension on the camshaft belt ??? im at a loss at this point.
Old 01-29-2016, 02:33 PM

Mein Auto: E36
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2600 View Post
I looked in the Bentley manual and it shows a pump that has 2 hose connections and mine clearly has only 1... all of the other pumps for the m50 and m60 ect are completely different from mine. also it says that there is a spring in the bottom of the pump that has something to do with the tension on the camshaft belt ??? im at a loss at this point.
Watch this.

Old 01-30-2016, 10:46 AM

water pump

thank you for the video, I got it out, and changed but now the car is still overheating... I bled it for an hour almost then ran it for 10 minutes before the needle started creeping towards the red. heater controls were set to the hottest with fan on lowest setting. with radiator cap off, no bubbles were visible. I let the car cool for 2.5 hrs, then removed the thermostat and refilled system, bled again, then ran for 10 minutes to have it heat up the same way???? is the radiator clogged up maybe? it looks newer, the old pump I took out had a cast impeller, not plastic which suggests that it as well as the radiator have been replaced at some point... it also only had 2 bolts holding it on? that spring with the pin is a joke on the water pump, I understand how it centers up the impeller in the center of the cavity or whatever but its a bloody problem getting this in by yourself. should I have removed the hood? that's a pain in the ass too, as im used to working on a Chevrolet; haha I know, I suck but that's what I grew up with. I was reading an article that mentioned that the head has a cavity that holds air unlike the head designs on other models? could there be air trapped in the engine? its like theres no circulation in the engine at all and however long it takes to get hot is only 10 minutes. please help.
Old 01-31-2016, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: '91 535i 5-spd
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrbob2600 View Post
...that's a pain in the ass too, as im used to working on a Chevrolet; haha I know, I suck but that's what I grew up with..
You mean a RWD V8? Try an Ecotec water pump next time.

If you were closer I'd drop by to help diagnose your car. Like I said, it's been a long time since I had an M20 though, and I didn't experience any of the overheating issues that were/are so prevalent with the engine series.
Old 01-31-2016, 11:09 AM

rwd v8

haha, yes a Chevrolet. indeed this has me stumped. Capricorn said to bleed the engine again so im going to try that today and see whats what. there are virtually no mechanics here that are euro friendly so to speak. I cannot find anyone who will look at it for less than 100 an hour. ha, I couldn't even drive it to them as it overheats really fast.
Old 01-31-2016, 03:33 PM

thread change

please leave all comments for this thread in the "rapid overheating" thread that I started. thank you guys for all the help. you're all very knowledgeable on these cars..

mrbob2600

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)
Today's Posts Search