Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 01-01-2013, 09:06 PM
Banned

Mein Auto: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by ttaylo036 View Post
Quote from the Frog

Its the K-bus that is not connected on all cars. On the cars with the round diag plug under the hood the K bus is not connected to the OBD port.

FYI not all those pins are connected on the OBD port. Newer cars connect CAN but older ones did not. It was only mandated in the US in 2008

A quick google search leads me to believe that the e46 does NOT have a CAN bus. It uses ISO 9141-2 on the diag port. If you want to decode speed information your best bet is probably to get a USB VAG-COM adaptor and use BMW INPA/EDIABAS and connect to your car's K-line. Google around INPA and you will find more information on it. Its a great tool to have anyways, you can read way more specific information from the cars computer besides the generic stuff that the OBD reader tells you. Think how the Peake tool is advertised only this is what BMW dealers and factories use. (well dealers use DIS but, whatever I digress, both talk to the computer through the K-line)
Toooo complicated, and will not work for quick n dirty diy. sigh.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:13 PM

Mein Auto: 318ic
I thought the same.

Although there is still hope for a repair

It might not be to bad if all you have to do is attach the emulator to trick the DME and change the perimeters with the K-line tool.

I already downloaded the software its pretty generic and looks easy lol
Even if the red label fixes my ride, when I get a few extra bucks I will buy the emulator and K-line tool and attempt to trick my silver DME

I'm kinda of a car hoarder I will probably never sell this car, and I need a back -up. I do believe someday these parts wont be around.

Last edited by ttaylo036; 01-01-2013 at 10:07 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertobaggio20 View Post
Tim, how did you confirm that you had no spark ? What test/steps did you take ? Thanks.
I bought that $10 spark plug diagnostic tool at advance auto.
And I did confirm that it would work on another car
oh and I have no spark on any of the 4 plugs

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/web...=ignition+tool

Last edited by ttaylo036; 01-01-2013 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:46 PM
Banned

Ok, what a coincidence, and that will certainly work. If your CPS resistances are correct according to YOUR bentley manual, then this is an EWS issue. It can't possible be a main relay problem.....urghh.
Old 01-01-2013, 09:54 PM

The Hayes manual actually gives CPS perimeters for all BMW engines which is nice.
Old 01-05-2013, 12:19 PM

Gentlemen,

At 3:07pm a usps package arrived at my residence. My 19 year old Red Label DME had found its new body.

After only 5 mintues of intense surgery, the tired ol' BMW was brought back to life!!!!

Guys I'm practiclly in tears....tears of joy another BMW saved from the scrap heap lives to die another day.

This has been an amazing journey and without ALL your help I would have never fixed this car.

Tim

Old 01-05-2013, 01:12 PM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
Great news Tim !!!!!!

Was this a red label DME (413)? If so, I think that you are the first person that has successfully bypasses EWS on a 318, and with a 6 cylinder DME to boot !!!

Would love for you to write up a synopsis of your journey If you don't mind.

Again, congrats !!!

Edit: Tim, in your OP on 10/10/12, you mentioned that you had a red label (413) DME. Is that the same one you wound up using or did you get a different one?

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Last edited by BMR_LVR; 01-05-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Check out this item I found on eBay: http://pages.ebay.com/motors/link/?n...d=300834506572

Just buy that dude. Read the description. Non ews 318is 16 valve engines ecu. Pull the trigger. I'll pay for it assuming it is not doa and does not work on your ride.
^^^^^^^
This is the post that changed everything!

The Red Label I bought was for a 6cyl back in October, it didn't work.

I bought another red label that was recently listed on Ebay. This listing clearly stated that it was for a 318 4cyl 1994.

Roberto found this item on ebay, he is a gentleman and a scholar.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:30 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
^^^^^^^
This is the post that changed everything!

The Red Label I bought was for a 6cyl back in October, it didn't work.

I bought another red label that was recently listed on Ebay. This listing clearly stated that it was for a 318 4cyl 1994.

Roberto found this item on ebay, he is a gentleman and a scholar.
Yeah, I didn't think that the 413 red label would work in your car. For those that may search later, could you post the part number for your 318 red label DME?

Again, so glad you got it running and it's good to know that the wiring modification and DME swap works for the 318 as well.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-05-2013, 06:33 PM
Banned

Quote:
Gentlemen,

At 3:07pm a usps package arrived at my residence. My 19 year old Red Label DME had found its new body.

After only 5 mintues of intense surgery, the tired ol' BMW was brought back to life!!!!

Guys I'm practiclly in tears....tears of joy another BMW saved from the scrap heap lives to die another day.

This has been an amazing journey and without ALL your help I would have never fixed this car.

Tim

By the traditions of this thread, there is only one appropriate response to your post above :

If you don't have time, then you can skip to the last 15 seconds:

I'm very glad that you solved this problem. Enjoy the car now.

Please wait exactly 7 days, set your phone's forward alarm, and then read the following :

" Now please sell off that 413 dme to someone else with an ews2 problem, and sell off, return or exchange your silver bavauto dme that you just purchased, and if possible, begin the search for an EWS2 delete chip with upgraded fuel air maps for a 318is m42 engine, and when you find it and its not pricey, buy it, plug it into your old silver label dme, plug it in, enjoy the car, and keep your current red label 318is ecu as a working spare for as long as you hold onto your car.

Recover as much of the recoverable costs that you put into this repair. Trust me, you're going to need the money for other things.

The 3 other things that comes to mind would be a cps ($90), fuel pump relay ($15) and fuel pump ($120), all oem only, and at a steal considering its for a 18 year old car and that these components will last for 10 years each. Your car will hit each of these speed bumps within the next few years and you will want to set it on fire at that time.

Although.....hmmm....considering the incredibly low mileage, maybe you can skip it entirely. Practically no wear and tear, huh ?

But then....that should also follow for the stupid EWS 2 system. Didn't work there, did it ?

Are you sure that you have a genuine 10k engine? Did someone jimmy with the numbers, just to sell off the car ?

Anyways, considering the EWS2 cockup is in the low probability box of the E34's no-crank or no-start issues, and you got hit by that, I wager that it would be prudent for you to take care of the 3 clowns to begin with. Remember, you took 12 months to sort this out, alot of downtime on a head turner of a car that should be seen and not merely read about. "

Please, have a long cold german beer, wind the windows down even if its winter, and go for a long, high speed controlled drive and enjoy your car.

And have a happy new year.

rgds,
Roberto GS ( that's gentleman and scholar for the noobs )

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 01-05-2013 at 08:09 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 10:29 PM
Humble E34 lover

Another note to make during our celebration of the resurrection of Tim's car,

I reviewed all of the posts relating to his situation and it was Supertech777 who first suggested a DME for a e36 318 pre ews2 era in post #192

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Last edited by BMR_LVR; 01-05-2013 at 10:31 PM.
Old 01-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Another note to make during our celebration of the resurrection of Tim's car,

I reviewed all of the posts relating to his situation and it was Supertech777 who first suggested a DME for a e36 318 pre ews2 era in post #192
I thought it was you ? I had told him to get a red label dme and produced some links from ebay, and you pointed out that those links were for a 525 and we're dealing with a 318is, nd that the dme would thus not work, which I had overlooked because er this is an E34 forum?
Old 01-05-2013, 11:23 PM
Banned

No it was noel, but post #194 instead.

And.....I DID find an EWS2 delete /performance enhancing chip and linked it just a few posts after Noel's :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-318i-is-...26571b&vxp=mtr

To quote from the description :

Specs:

Peak power gain: 11 hp@5500 rpm
Peak power: 148 hp (up from 138 hp)
Peak torque gain: 19 ft-lbs @ 2500 rpm
Peak power: 147 ft-lbs (up from 134 ft-lbs)
Rev limit increase: 200 rpm
No EWS function

Would have only cost $55. I must have forgotten about it later on.

This is a good time to remind everyone. Your car is your responsibility. Educating yourself about your car as best as you can, is the first step in discharging your responsibility. If you skip around, are unfocused, etc, the environment might not fill in all the gaps, or fill in all the gaps coherently enough for you to solve your issue swiftly or at the lowest possible cost.

Tim, I strongly suggest that you purchase that $40 ($55 with shipping) EWS2 delete /performance enhancing 318is chip from the same seller. Search for his other auctions or on ebay generally, or pm him and ask for another set, and buy the chip. Plug it into your old silver label DME, and get an enhanced ride ! Keep the red label as a spare. I think I did suggest this earlier to you as well. Tsk tsk tsk sir tsk tsk tsk. The problem could have been efficiently solved in october. When your car is down, the first person who needs to be tuned up must be ourselves. Our "gameface" has gotta be on for the car. Only then will we prosecute the matter efficiently.

Tim, another reason why you should try to salvage and use your original DME is because your car has just 10k miles. Its almost a museum piece, a collectors item in a sense, and for such candidates, as much of the original stuff ought to be kept with the car as practicable.

We've not heard from him today......I think I know where that sonic boom came from then. lolol

Rgds,
Roberto

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 01-05-2013 at 11:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 AM
Banned

In fact, here you go, your 318is EWS delete chip :

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-318i-is-...50913570587%26
Old 01-06-2013, 01:10 PM

I wanted to wait 7 days to post as Roberto had mentioned lol. but hey what fun is that!

Yes its true this BMW does have 10k miles this car has a history. The car was bought new in 1995 the owner (which I kinda new) wanted to make a show car out of it. So he shipped the car to some of the finest car builders at the time. He lives in KY and shipped the car to California to be completely customized. After a year and well over 200 grand spent he took the car on a tour of showcars that toured the US for 3 years.

Keep in mind he Gold Plated every piece of the suspention and motor as well as completely repainted it, new interior nothing was untouched. Sometime around year 1999 the car and enclosed trailer was stolen and the car was never seen again! Fast forward to 2002 the car was found in prestine condition in a unpaid storage unit. The car was listed on EBAY now with a Mark on the title due to being recovered stolen.

I sent the seller a $1000 to pull it off ebay. Since I new all the history of this car I had to have it. I worked out a deal with the seller and he shipped the car to me. Oddly the car was completely "as it was" nothing removed... hell I drove it 50 miles the night I got it home lol......when I received the car it had 6400 miles I have drove the car a few thousand miles since I bought it.

Anyways I'm not a huge fan of Gold so I have redone and repainted it.
So there is the skinny on this car

I remember calling a vendor on Bimmerforums that said there was no such upgrade for the 4 banger. After talking to the rep on the phone about the lack of performace chips for the 4 cyl I moved to another direction. I'm sorry I didn't investigate this further almost brain overload on EWS II

Again thanks for everyone that has helped me.

Last edited by ttaylo036; 01-06-2013 at 02:53 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 01:16 PM

Quote:

I never seen that before, jeez

Last edited by ttaylo036; 01-06-2013 at 01:20 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
I never seen that before, jeez
A. Well sir i did put it up there in october
B. Buy the chip now.
C. Please repair the ews 2 system on your car, there may be other threads for it. Buy things from the dealer if you have to.
D. Please purchase s new car.
E. Please drive that other car.
G. This one is a garage queen, for private shows.
H. Please, when you are not driving this car, remove the ecu to prevent car theft, even if the ews2 system has been repaired.
I. Purchase a new property in in the country to house this car.
J. Buy a new car
Old 01-06-2013, 03:19 PM

I already live in the sticks
I have several rides, here is a pic of how I roll to shows lol

enough about all that I don't want to highjack this awesome thread.

Anyways I'll buy the chip for my stock DME

Last edited by ttaylo036; 01-06-2013 at 03:25 PM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:44 PM
Banned

Quote:

enough about all that I don't want to highjack this awesome thread.

Anyways I'll buy the chip for my stock DME
No no.

a. Buy the chip. Keep it when it arrives.
b. Repair your original EWS2 system properly. Verify that the stock unmodified silver ecu works fine at all ranges.
c. Swop the chip into the red label dme that you're currently using. Store the original red label dme's chip somewhere safe. Don't forget where you stored it.
d. Swop in the chipped dme from time to time when you feel like having a good time. You will not have to delete the EWS2 again. The EWS2 authorises crank and the ecu IF the ecu is looking for it. With EWS-deleted ecu in there, the ECU won't look for it and will just proceed to fire up the engine upon crank.
e. Make sure your car does not get stolen without having to modify it further by putting in additional security systems and the like. I would purchase a secure storage location, a gated patrolled property, or at least, remove the dme whenever I leave the vehicle for the day.
f. I am perplexed that you have that many cars, yet you did not respond to this garage queen with the correct collector's approach that it richly deserves.
g. I think you should take another look at your approach to your entire car collection.
h. Please execute the diagnostic port jump start method with your original dme in, the ews2 system bypassed as it is right now, and the key in position 2 (key#2), and let us know what happens in the other thread.
i. After that, go on holiday, enjoy your ride without driving it as far as possible, and then come back and tell us all about it after 7 days. My apologies, that thread and the idea just came up and would only take you a few minutes to try so I had to ask.

rgds,
Roberto GS

Last edited by robertobaggio20; 01-07-2013 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Banned

One more thing. Do not sell this car despite the offers you'll surely be getting via pm.
Old 01-07-2013, 10:39 AM

Quote:

Contacted seller about this item today.
This chip is for BMWs without EWS and as we both know my stock silver DME has EWSII, truly disturbing.
Old 01-07-2013, 11:02 AM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Contacted seller about this item today.
This chip is for BMWs without EWS and as we both know my stock silver DME has EWSII, truly disturbing.
Ahh .... as I suspected .... "No EWS" did not equal "EWS delete".

Well, the good news is that the EWS bypass and red label DME (for the 318 - I still would like to know the number of the DME) worked so you can drive your car

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 01-07-2013, 11:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Ahh .... as I suspected .... "No EWS" did not equal "EWS delete".

Well, the good news is that the EWS bypass and red label DME (for the 318 - I still would like to know the number of the DME) worked so you can drive your car
I took pics I will upload them tonight.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM

Confirmed compatibility

the hand written 343 on the silver label is from the factory

Last edited by ttaylo036; 01-07-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 01-07-2013, 02:39 PM

I also talked to these peeps today:
http://www.turnermotorsport.com/c-15...-software.aspx

According to customer service (which seems extremly knowledgeable) There isnt and never will be a chip to bypass the EWSII for the 318 M42 motor. They will not spend the resources to develop such a chip.

I'm still liking the emulator idea as a last resort