Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E34 (1989 - 1995)

E34 (1989 - 1995)

Old 02-20-2012, 11:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 1997 740iL / 2006 X5 4.4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dez96328i View Post
...It's not the battery.
  1. The ignition was removed.
  2. The starter was bypassed.
  3. All power is on but it won't turn over.
  4. The security light is blinking...
  5. ... I drove the car to the mechanic and it has been on a lift for 2 weeks with the key in the ignition.
  6. Nothing electrical was worked on.

Desmond
Can you give more info/details as how the battery was ruled out as not being the culprit.

I'm trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the ignition was left on for 2 weeks as the car remained on a lift...yet...now that the car won't start...it's not due to a severely discharged battery...which is what would happen to a battery left on for two weeks.

Again, its not that it couldn't be something else...but from what we've been told...I can't see how your battery could not be the issue without more details as to how the battery was ruled out not to be the culprit.

Did they give you any specs on the battery? Did they recharge the battery then test it again to see if it's still holding a charge? What are the battery's voltage numbers when they put a meter on it? How about when they put a load on the battery...does the voltage drop off like cement block thrown in the river...or does it retain enough cranking amps to start the car?

Left on for two weeks...a car battery could discharge to the point of permanent damage...especially if it's already had over a couple of years service.
Q {BMW CCA Member #191509}
2006 E53 X5 4.4i (Sterling Gray) 12/05 mfg date <<~>> 97 740iL (Arctic Silver) 3/97 mfg date
(SOLD)
99 540iT (Orient Blue) <<~>> 95 525IT (Alpine White)
91 735iL (Schwarz Black) <<~>> 85 325e (Bronzit)

http://imageshack.com/scaled/grid240/822/e38e532ndsigpic.jpg
Old 02-20-2012, 11:57 AM
Humble E34 lover

Mein Auto: 1992 525i
^ I assumed that OP meant that the key was just left in the ignition (in "0" position) for the 2 weeks. I don't think that situation would cause his problem.

However, if your understanding of his situation and your scenario is correct, then I agree completely that the battery could be toast.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noego View Post
It's Deja Poo - as in, I've heard this **** before.
Steve

Calypso Red 1992 525i with 200K miles

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM

Mein Auto: 97 328i
HI, I joined this forum after discovering this thread. I have had EWS II woes for a long time now, and am about to atempt this on a 97 328i. I'll let you know how it goes.

PS BMR_LVR, I'd like to stop and check out the wiring on your car when I'm in randleman this weekend if you dont mind of course....
Old 02-21-2012, 11:55 AM

Mein Auto: 96 328i
The battery in the car is fairly new, just a few months old. I was made aware that the battery had not drained at all. The key must have been in the completely off position. They checked the battery first. Checked the starter. Aware of the ignition ring issue and removed the ignition. He is having someone come in to check the wiring on Monday. Any other suggestions? It's been 3wks and I was supposed to take a road trip tomowwow, which is why I had it cheked out in the first place. I just want to figure this out so if it happens again It will be an easy fix. Thanks for the input.

Dez
Old 02-21-2012, 10:35 PM

Mein Auto: 95' 525it
no start. starting to suspect EWS...

First of all, awesome thread. Wish I wasn't reading it becauase my car wont start though. My no start is a no crank no starter engagement at all kind of no start. Here's how it started.

The 95' 525it is my wifes car. Every couple of months We would have a no crank situation. But whenever we jumped it it was fine for another couple months. Before this we did have some water leak under the seat from the sunroof on the right side where the bat is. We sorted that out and I don't think we have had a leak in a while. Anyway this no start seemed like it was just something in the charging system. battery tested fine, so I thought maybe something is leaching off of it. So as I'm planning my next move to figure out why this is happening, the wife calls me and the car won't crank again. I take the battery to get charged and tested again. Test is fine. I put charged battery in, and it fires right up. The next morning my wife tries to start it and from what she says it acted like it wanted to start and then nothing. No cranking, no clicking from the starter. All my acc. work though.
This time when I try to jump it I still get nothing. I check across the terminals as I'm jump starting and I have more then enough juice to start. I check the voltage at the starter and turning the key to the crank setting just on battery power I get 10.5 volts. While jumper cables are on I get over 12 volts. Either way no action from the starter even though it's getting juice. I take the starter out and take it to autozone and it tests fine. I put it back in the car and try to jump it by crossing the terminals and turning the key. Nothing. I check my fuses and I can't find anything suspect. I want to make a relay tester to test those next.
I checked my ground wires on the left and right firewall and the ground strap from motor to frame. they all look perfect but I still want to test them when I get someone else with me to turn the key while I have my multimeter.
I'm starting to suspect the EWS system or my DMS.
I just don't know why the starter would not be doing anything if it has juice. When I turn the key to the "start" with the headlights on they go off. Bentley manual says that might mean a short in the system. All my grounds look good though. I read someone say if you aren't getting crank and you turn your key to "start" if your radio stays on that points to ECM fault. Normally your radio would go off when cranking to put all power to the starter.
So my question is: Before I go down the path of EWS and DMS what else could cause a no crank situation? As far as I know I need to:
Test relays
load test ground wires?
Would crankshaft pos sensor make a no crank?
Thanks to anyone who can help hear. Car is stranded at my house so could be much worse. Would be nicer if it had quit in my garage though....
Old 02-22-2012, 12:47 AM

Mein Auto: 525it 1995
Great thread

Found this thread from a Google search....

I'm currently diagnosing a 1995 525it.

After parking the car one night....the next morning it would not start.

It cranks, but it will not catch. After a small squirt of starting fluid there was no change (no start and the cranking sound did not change or improve)

I figured I had fuel but no spark....I guessed it was the crank position sensor and I swapped it out with a new one. Once the CPS was installed it still didn't start, but unlike before, it came close to starting. (Previously it cranked, but it seemed as if all cylinders were not getting spark). I then pulled the plugs and they were wet and fouled. After installing new plugs the no start problem remains. I pulled the new plugs and they are wet.

I then pulled the fuel pump fuse and cranked the engine....it would start for a brief moment and then die (which is expected, but I wanted to confirm that I do occasionally get spark) whatever spark I am getting, it is weak enough that even with my new plugs, I cannot get the engine to fire.

I have looked at the motor grounding cable, but I might need to check again to confirm

Fast forward to this thread....I believe my problem is either the DME relay or the DME itself. Thanks for the Great info about silver and red DME's

Any info or thoughts would be appreciated!
Old 02-24-2012, 10:19 AM

Mein Auto: Euro M
Check the CPS with checking the resistance through a digital multimeter, unplug the fuel line to the fuel rail and crank the car and see if fuel squirts out. If those 2 can be for sure ruled out, check the relay for the DME in your fuse box, even easier, if you have a OBD1 car do the stomp test, if you have an OBD2 car get a scanner.

As for the other EWS issues, if you're not scared of not having EWS (IMO it's pointless), just read the thread and cut the appropriate wires and check if it works, if it doesn't you haven't lost anything except for 15 minutes of your time and EWS. However, if you value the EWS system do not listen to me, although you could always fuse the cut wires later.
Old 02-25-2012, 06:50 PM

Ok I snipped the EWS green 66 wire going to the ECU. Now I'm looking for the EWS module under the dash(I have an e34). I'm having a hard time distinguishing it from all the other crap under there. I'm consulting the bentley wiring diagrams but they are a little harder for me to find. I'm used to my '81 528's diagrams. Little more simple haha.
So Any tip on how to find it on an e34? Is the harness always yellow?
Old 02-25-2012, 08:12 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by e12gabe View Post
Ok I snipped the EWS green 66 wire going to the ECU. Now I'm looking for the EWS module under the dash(I have an e34). I'm having a hard time distinguishing it from all the other crap under there. I'm consulting the bentley wiring diagrams but they are a little harder for me to find. I'm used to my '81 528's diagrams. Little more simple haha.
So Any tip on how to find it on an e34? Is the harness always yellow?
I have not done it on the E34, but the connector for the EWS module on my E36 was yellow.

You may want to PM Supertech777. He did it on his E34.

Good luck.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-26-2012, 08:11 AM

Compare the guage and colour of wires that are coming out of your yellow module to the ones of that posted in this thread earlier, if they match there is a 90% chance it is the same.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:28 PM

I've found the EWS box up under my dash and the e36 wire colors aren't the same in the e34. Annnnd I've been banging my head against a wall with my bentley manual. I'm looking at the wiring diagrams for the coded drive away protection and THOSE color wires don't match at all. Not even close. Then I realize the diagram I'm looking at is for "1993 535i, 1993 & 1995 525i & 525i touring." So why would the diagram be the same for a 93 535i that had EWS1??? I'm guessing the bentley manual doesn't cover late model 95 cars with the EWSII. Kinda weird. I was expecting a little more for the bentley but oh well. I found a wiring diagram online that seems to fit my colored wiring. Also trying to collaborate with Supertech777 because he has a e34 as well with a EWS delete. I'll keep posting progress.
Old 02-26-2012, 10:38 PM

Mein Auto: 1989 525i M20B25
Quote:
Originally Posted by e12gabe View Post
I've found the EWS box up under my dash and the e36 wire colors aren't the same in the e34. Annnnd I've been banging my head against a wall with my bentley manual. I'm looking at the wiring diagrams for the coded drive away protection and THOSE color wires don't match at all. Not even close. Then I realize the diagram I'm looking at is for "1993 535i, 1993 & 1995 525i & 525i touring." So why would the diagram be the same for a 93 535i that had EWS1??? I'm guessing the bentley manual doesn't cover late model 95 cars with the EWSII. Kinda weird. I was expecting a little more for the bentley but oh well. I found a wiring diagram online that seems to fit my colored wiring. Also trying to collaborate with Supertech777 because he has a e34 as well with a EWS delete. I'll keep posting progress.
bentley sucks for diagrams

use this:
http://wedophones.com/BMWManualsLead.htm
Old 02-27-2012, 06:37 AM

FYI this thread was about EWS1 not EWS2, if I recall correctly, I would be weary of following these instructions as further modifications may be needed to disable your EWS2 system.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:08 PM

OP was about working on a 95 325i with a silver label DME so correct me if I'm wrong but that should be EWS2. Anyway, I just got back from work so time to go out and lay on my back peering into the guts of my dash again.
Old 02-27-2012, 05:40 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMikha View Post
FYI this thread was about EWS1 not EWS2, if I recall correctly, I would be weary of following these instructions as further modifications may be needed to disable your EWS2 system.
Nope ... it is about EWSII. It was done on my 1995 325is E36. The same technique works for the 1995 E34, I'm just not sure about the wire colors. I know it works because Supertech777 did it with my assistance

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-27-2012, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMR_LVR View Post
Nope ... it is about EWSII. It was done on my 1995 325is E36. The same technique works for the 1995 E34, I'm just not sure about the wire colors. I know it works because Supertech777 did it with my assistance
[SIZE="7"]
Old 02-27-2012, 07:48 PM

Mein Auto: 1995 525i
This is the most used thread in here Steve Good Job !
Old 02-28-2012, 04:49 PM

Just did this on my 97 328i today and it went wrong.

Got the right DME from a local bone-yard, cut the green wire and spliced the black/yellow wire and green/black wire together, turned the key, all dash lights lit up like they should and nothing happened. ASC light came on and wouldn't turn off, tachometer went crazy and kept bouncing back and forth. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Old 02-28-2012, 05:02 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonkeyPunch View Post
Just did this on my 97 328i today and it went wrong.

Got the right DME from a local bone-yard, cut the green wire and spliced the black/yellow wire and green/black wire together, turned the key, all dash lights lit up like they should and nothing happened. ASC light came on and wouldn't turn off, tachometer went crazy and kept bouncing back and forth. I'm not sure what to do at this point.
Not sure if this technique works on the OBD II cars (post 95). I guess maybe it doesn't. I would recommend that you return all of your wiring to the way it was and take it to an independent mechanic.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-29-2012, 05:23 AM

So your car is OBD1?
Old 02-29-2012, 05:58 AM
Humble E34 lover

Yes. Here in the states, OBD II started with the '96 models.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-29-2012, 12:34 PM
4 cylinders of fury

Mein Auto: 92 318is
Hello everyone I'm not new to the forum just never posted until now...... I bought a 5/95 build date 325i with the spinning ignition problem. Just to clarify if I install a non chipped key cylinder and clip the green wire to the ews I will be fine or at the least bypassed the ews?

Sent from my LG-P925 using Bimmer App
Old 02-29-2012, 02:11 PM
Humble E34 lover

Hello Vigorpat. Welcome.

Bypassing the EWS II involves more than just cutting the green wire. This thread details it pretty well.

You can order a new cylinder tumbler from the BMW dealer that will allow you to continue to use your current key and not have to deal with the EWS. I had to replace my tumbler and seem to recall that it was about $150. To me, that is a lot better than trying to put in a different/used tumbler (the key would have to match the tumbler and would obviously not fit your doors or trunk) and having to deal with the EWS delete.

Here is a link to replacing the tumbler. I followed the video and had little difficulty swapping the tumbler: .

Good luck!

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold

Old 02-29-2012, 02:58 PM
4 cylinders of fury

Mein Auto: 92 318is
Thanks for the video .........I guess I wasn't completely clear and I apologize ...I have been reading the threads and I am completely confused. Separate from the getting the key from BMW (price is a bit much for me right now since I am overhauling the cooling system and need to be able to start the car) do I also need a red label dme ? A ews delete chip? Sorry again its so confusing.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:08 PM
Humble E34 lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by vigorpat View Post
Thanks for the video .........I guess I wasn't completely clear and I apologize ...I have been reading the threads and I am completely confused. Separate from the getting the key from BMW (price is a bit much for me right now since I am overhauling the cooling system and need to be able to start the car) do I also need a red label dme ? A ews delete chip? Sorry again its so confusing.

If you use a used/different tumbler, you will need a different key. The EWS II will not recognize the key and will "immobilize" the car. In other words, it will not allow the starter to engage or the ignition system to function.

If you were to try to bypass the EWS, you either need to get a red lable DME and do the wiring modifications as outlined in this thread, or you can get an EWS delete chip to put in your current DME.

Someone here (I can't believe I can't remember who it was ), went the EWS delete chip route and it worked fine for them. I seem to recall that they got it on Ebay at a good price. The one in one of the links in this thread is pretty expensive.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Quote:
Steve

1991 735i - Sold
1992 525i - Sold
1995 325is - Sold
2000 528i - Sold