Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series

3 Series / 4 Series
The 3 Series / 4 Series Forum. If you would like to see all new posts in all the forums, click here.

Old 02-25-2004, 05:08 PM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
dealer or neighborhood place (smog check)?

One of those new 'Test Only' places recently opened about a mile away from me, and it set me to wondering (I searched on 'smog check', but didn't quite find what I was looking for) if I dare take Karl Bimmer there vs. driving the 15+ miles to Crevier?

I'm thinking that a neighborhood place wouldn't be able to reset the computer once the car was put up on the dyno? And, I admit to a bit o'elitism, after all, this is a BMW we're talking about!

I seem to recall that the charge for a smog check at Crevier is something like $110; I think the neighborhood place charges about $80-$90 or so.

The money isn't really the question, and I'm willing to slog down the 91 to the 55 (I have FastTrak, so I can go through the toll lanes) - it's just if I could get the smog done in my area - that would be nice.

Thanks for all your help, folks!
Old 02-25-2004, 05:15 PM
King of Rear Clunks

Mein Auto: 01 325iT, 88 M6
Why do you need to smog the car? Current requirement is 4 years from new, then every other year after. I've had mine for almost 3 and it's never been smogged.
Old 02-25-2004, 11:50 PM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaz
Why do you need to smog the car? Current requirement is 4 years from new, then every other year after. I've had mine for almost 3 and it's never been smogged.
Ah! I was thinking that I'd have to smog it at the end of this year...thanks for the information!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:55 PM
Hi

Mein Auto: Frankenstein monster
You'll get a notice along with your DMV renewal indicating you need to smog the car. If you're concerned about the neighborhood places 4 years down the road, ask them questions and see if they seem knowledgeable to you; if not, move on to the next place.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:33 AM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Also, all it takes to reset the DSC/ ABS after a dyno is drive around normally. once you go above ~20mph, the system will run a self test and reset itself.

Just had my NYS emissions test done a few months ago, by the time i drove around the block, the light had reset itself.