Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 6 Series

6 Series
The BMW 6 Series builds on BMW's sporty heritage with aggressive lines and an incredible motor to back the design up. Available in coupe and convertible trims with a standard 4.8 liter engine producing 360 horsepower and 360 lb-ft of torque, the 6-series is a popular choice that exceeds expectations.

Old 04-21-2011, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: Chevy Malibu
Question Buy a Vert with no Garage?

Hey guys, quick question for you. I'm finally picking up a 6 series after years of driving a pos that a nasty divorce left me with

I live in San Diego, and don't have a garage. I was wondering if discoleration of the ragtop is an issue at all since I can't keep it housed indoors. This will be my primary vehicle too, but I'm thinking of keeping my clunker for small day to day chores. I doubt I'll ever want to drive it again though

Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 04-21-2011, 09:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650 vert
No first-hand knowledge as mine is in the garage and parking deck, but in looking at used 2007 models when I bought mine six months ago, I really didn't see any discolored or faded tops. With your nice fairly dry weather in SoCal, you should be good, but if you're worried about fading, just go with a car cover for the sun.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:04 AM

Thanks Greg. I also live right next to the ocean. Sand and Dust could potentially be a problem as well. I absolutely love the verts, but I don't want to be in for a surprise either
Old 04-21-2011, 10:12 AM

yeah, if you've searched the other threads, then you know that the vert tops can be a little tempermental and problematic, even without salt, sand/dust, sun, etc. a good cover with undertie could still be a help if you went ahead.

'07 650i vert, beige/jet black, sports & cold weather pkgs, comfort access, logic 7, sat radio, Miro M6 wheels (with Michelin super sports), M6 spare tire, tint, windscreen, triple resonator delete, m-tec v3 AE's bulbs, corner bulb delete and m-tec fogs
'11 Acura MDX Advance with Entertainment pkg for wife - no mod's '04 Acura TSX (daughter) and '12 VW GTI - Autobahn (son)
Old 04-21-2011, 10:27 AM
Michael

Mein Auto: Black Sapphire BMW Z4 3L
6 series cover

Hi, I have a BMW external cover, which is designed to fit the vehicle. As my car will not fit in my garage I have used it through the winter and will do the same through the summer. It is a great piece of kit, very light in weight and when you know how to fit it on the car, ( a little practice needed) it is extremely easy to live with and would recommend its use ( we are talking some 2 mins if that to fit)...... I imagine that it is very cheap to buy in the US as in the UK it costs some 230.
Just thought, the only slight downside is a windy day, but this can be overcome quite easily
Old 04-21-2011, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 650 convertible!!!
You will be fine if you take care of the car properly. Since I bought my 6 for my wife and she is at work all day with no covered parking our car is exposed to the sun all day. When we got married and I gave her my Guards Red Boxster it was the same. After 10 years of ownership with a Red car it never faded a bit in the paint or top. Same after a year and a half with the Black bimmer outside 5 days a week all day. It looks brand new.

First, start using a nice polymer based wax sealant. The protection will last for 6 months. Use what you like but there are many products out there that work, just don't use carnuba wax from the auto store as it will melt off in a month. Four Star Products, Maguiars, there are a bunch of them. Pick one and stick with it. Everyone has an opinion of which is the best, I personally feel that the gap has closed between many of them so you can't go wrong.

I use Raggtop to keep the top looking nice. It has some UV protection, I just put it on once every couple of months. For the dash and leather seats I use Aerospace 303, it gives protection without the annoying shine and dust/hair/dirt attraction that ArmorAll has. Plus it provides UV protection. Everything in my car looks new despite it being in the sun all day.

I do have tinted windows but we do not use a sunshade in the window. At least you have the luxury of not having rain every stupid day of the week. The beautiful San Diego weather, while dry and dusty, with 70 degree weather, will be less abusive than my 95 and rain every day.

Good luck, you will love the car.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:08 PM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
If you keep it clean, SoCal weather should not be a problem for your 6 vert. Congratulations as well!

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 04-21-2011, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 650i Convertible
You should be fine. Even though mine is in a garage, I've seen 04 models with the tops that looks as good as new. All you have to do is treat the top to keep it look good all year round. I do a once a year treatment with the BMW convertible top treatment kit but you can get other products out there that works just as well. Congrats on the new ride and glad to see you are recovering from the divorce
Old 04-21-2011, 06:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
I would recommend two things:

1) Car cover (if possible)
2) Frequent applications of RaggTopp

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 04-21-2011, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 650 Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post

[EDIT] = make that three things - protect the entire interior with 303 Aerospace protectant on every surface. You need to protect the interior from fading. This will help tremendously.

2012 650 Coupe - Alpine White / Black Interior / M Package / Premium Sound
Previous Bimmers:
2008 650i Convertible - Monaco Blue / Saddle Brown Pearl Leather / Premium Sound / Sport / Cold / Comfort Access / Lane Departure / HD Radio / Sat Radio
2004 645Ci Convertible - Reverse Sensors / Reverse Camera / Retro iPod
2005 545i Sedan
2003 330Ci Convertible
2001 330Ci Coupe
1998 323i Convertible
1995 318i Sedan
Old 04-21-2011, 06:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 650i
You will probably be fine. I live in NC and I have to have a garage. We get snow sometimes and I'm sure the weight of snow would be bad. We received 3 rounds of hail two weekends ago. I'm sure that would have done some damage to the top and the body.

2008 650i Sport Convertible
Monaco Blue | Saddle BrownLeather | Comfort Access | Cold Weather Package | Park Distance Control | Heads Up Display | Navigation | Sirius | Logic 7 Premium Sound HD Radio
Old 04-21-2011, 07:08 PM

You guys have all been great. Thanks for the feedback and excellent help! I'm looking at a few options and hopefully I'll end up with a vert, but I'll be happy either way
Old 04-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
Dammit...i miss La Jollla and Birdrock...get the car..enjoy it...garage or not
Old 04-23-2011, 06:20 AM

agree about missing sunny san diego... need to get back for a round at Torrey Pines!

Old 04-23-2011, 06:54 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: Off-Brand
and Moondoggies afterward, if it's still there
Old 04-23-2011, 03:34 PM

Moondoggies is still around
Old 04-23-2011, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 650i Convertible
Quote:
Originally Posted by TopDownInFL View Post

+1. Should be ok with those. Good luck on the car!

2006 550i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 330i, Monaco Blue, Beige Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.

Sold - 2006 SLK350, Iridium Silver, Black Leather, 7-speed AT, Comfort Package, Heating Package.

Sold - 2006 530i, Titanium Gray, Black Leather, STEP Auto, Nav, Cold Weather, Premium Package.