Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 04-23-2011, 03:52 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
2011 Nav/idrive -- split screen issue

I have a 2011 328i sedan (nav/idrive). I like to set it up with split screen, so that the right panel shows "entertainment details." However, I noticed that when I play music from my USB flash drive in the center console, the album art takes at least 10 seconds or so to load once a song starts playing.

But, when I turn off split screen, the album art loads virtually instantaneously as the song starts (which is how album art is supposed to be).

Has anyone else noticed this? Why would split screen cause this? I want to make sure its not just my car. As it stands now, it means when playing from an external device (my USB stick) I would need to turn off split screen, but otherwise turn split screen back on (which is a little annoying).

Can someone with a 2011/or 2010 and Nav test this out please?
Ads by Google
Old 04-23-2011, 05:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 328 xdrive
I noticed this too. In split screen the mini album cover appears right away on the left and the larger picture on the right delays a few seconds. I attribute it to larger picture slower upload? Anyway no big deal as the song info pops in before the cover. I leave my Nav permanently on split screen with Nav on the left and radio, cd, iPod on the right.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,

Last edited by 3284me; 04-23-2011 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-23-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3284me View Post
I noticed this too. In split screen the mini album cover appears right away on the left and the larger picture on the right delays a few seconds. I attribute it to larger picture slower upload? Anyway no big deal as the song info pops in before the cover. I leave my Nav permanently on split screen with Nav on the left and radio, cd, iPod on the right.
Mini album? Larger picture?

In my split screen, the sizes of the album covers are the same, both in the split screen (right-side area) and the middle of the screen area. When set to split screen while my external device (USB flashdrive is playing) where you can see both the album art on the right (split screen side), and at the same time see the album art in the center portion of the screen, they both are the same size AND they both take at least 10 seconds too appear. One does not appear before the other, nor are there any size differences.

Only when I turn split screen off does the album art appear as soon as the song starts.

And you say the delay is a few seconds -- its minimum 10 seconds for me (except with split screen off). Can you take a picture with your cell phone of the difference size album art you see? I would like to see what you mean by "larger picture on the right."

By the way, you can set a programmable memory key for your nav screen, so you can get back to it with one button push (with your preferred map view and map scale).

Last edited by caesarp; 04-23-2011 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
Mini album? Larger picture?

In my split screen, the sizes of the album covers are the same, both in the split screen (right-side area) and the middle of the screen area. When set to split screen while my external device (USB flashdrive is playing) where you can see both the album art on the right (split screen side), and at the same time see the album art in the center portion of the screen, they both are the same size AND they both take at least 10 seconds too appear. One does not appear before the other, nor are there any size differences.

Only when I turn split screen off does the album art appear as soon as the song starts.

And you say the delay is a few seconds -- its minimum 10 seconds for me (except with split screen off). Can you take a picture with your cell phone of the difference size album art you see? I would like to see what you mean by "larger picture on the right."

By the way, you can set a programmable memory key for your nav screen, so you can get back to it with one button push (with your preferred map view and map scale).
Here you go. Two covers in split screen mode.

2011 328xi. Space Grey, Beige Dakota Leather, Premium pkg., Value pkg., NAV, SAT, Heated SW, Steptronic,
Old 04-24-2011, 04:20 PM

Quote:
Here you go. Two covers in split screen mode.

Well that's odd, because on the same screen that you show (which I believe is called the "current playback" screen), this is what I see (only album art on the split-screen/right-side):

Now, if I jog the Idrive button to the left from that screen, I get this (album art on both left/right, but the exact same size, so it looks silly):

What do you see if you go back one (to the left using I-drive, from the screen you show)? Do you see both album art covers, but the same size in that situation?

The only other way I see any album art is to remove split screen, then I see this:

Now in the above pic, you see the top left icon that I'm on (highlighted in red)? When you click that is when you (but not I) get to the screen where you see small album art (and the normal size in the split screen) -- right?. I don't see that when I click that icon.

Am I missing a setting? Why do we see something different? My car was built March 2011 (when was yours built)? Also, under in the main menu, go to software version, do you see the same version number for external device software support?:

I'm playing my music directly from a USB stick in the armrest console. Is that what you are doing? Or are you playing from the hardrive of the car?

Another possibility is -- are you using an Iphone, or something other than just a plain USB stick?

By the way, having nothing to do with the above, I have tip for you on your albums (I see you have the Allman's Greatest Hits playing). If you want the album to play in track order, not alphabetical order, edit the song names to start with numbers, like this: 01 Statesboro Blues 02 Ramblin Man etc. That album does not start with "Ain't Wastin Time No More".

Not that it makes that much of a difference on greatest hits albums, but I'm a stickler. If you do it like that, the 01 is ignored when searching for song name and it won't display in the list with the 01 or 02, etc. But when you have it in an album folder and play the album it will play the tracks in the correct order.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:21 PM

My car was built 11/10. I am using an iPod touch connected to the USB in the center console using the white iPod cable that came with it. I just leave it in the car all the time. My iPhone stays in my pocket for Bluetooth calls. Since I am using an iPod and you are using a USB stick this must be the reason for the difference in the screens. Only other thing is the software since you have the updated March build. I will check my software version and shoot the back screen shot you asked for tomorrow.

Old 04-24-2011, 06:00 PM

Quote:
My car was built 11/10. I am using an iPod touch connected to the USB in the center console using the white iPod cable that came with it. I just leave it in the car all the time. My iPhone stays in my pocket for Bluetooth calls. Since I am using an iPod and you are using a USB stick this must be the reason for the difference in the screens. Only other thing is the software since you have the updated March build. I will check my software version and shoot the back screen shot you asked for tomorrow.
Regardless of what you see on the left-side, does it take almost 10 seconds for the album art to load in the split-screen (right-side)? It takes a minimum of 9 or 10 seconds for album art to show if I have split-screen engaged, no matter what.

With split-screen off, album art shows instantly.

Last edited by caesarp; 04-24-2011 at 06:25 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 08:06 PM

Yes there is a delay of about 5 seconds tops on the right with split screen. Sometimes in between songs it will go off and come back as well.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:37 PM

Quote:
I just plugged in my wife's Ipod (Nano) and it still shows album art as my USB stick does (no small album art when viewing current playback -- as you see).

Does anyone else with a March 2011 build see the small album art and the large album art?

Would they really have removed this feature with a software change?
Old 05-15-2011, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 335i Coupe
I have a MY2011 built in OCT 2010 and mine also looks like 3284me. So, it must be a difference in software versions. I know there was a change in March 2011 for BMW Apps, something not supported by pre March builds... so I'm not sure if the dealer can do a software update?
PCD 12/21/2010: 2011 335i Coupe 6MT | Black Sapphire Metallic | Saddle Brown Dakota | Premium Pkg | M Sport Pkg | Harman Kardon | Navigation | iPod/USB | Sirius | Smartphone Integration | Heated Seats | Comfort Access
Old 03-31-2013, 05:26 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Split Screen Assistance 2011 328i Please!!!

Happy Easter.

I have a 2011 BMW 328i with navigation and I usually use my iPod.

My preference is for the iPod information (cover and song) to be on the right and navigation on the left. With the patience of a kind BMW salesman right after I bought it we finally were able to set it but it took 45 minutes.

Now, after a few weeks, my screen has reverted with navigation quite small on the right and the iPod on the left and as much as I try, I cannot get it back.

Does anybody have the steps on how to correct this step by step or know where I can obtain the steps? An algorhythm maybe? Anything would be appreciated.

Thank you.
Old 03-31-2013, 06:05 PM
Lost but making good time

Mein Auto: '11 335xi Sedan
First, activate the split-screen view if it isn't already: Press the Option button and select "Split screen" if it is not already checked. Then:
  • Entertainment details: Push the controller to the right. Depending on whether the right pane is showing a map view or something else, either the map scale will turn red or "Split screen content" will appear at the bottom of the right pane. Either is your confirmation that the cursor is active in the split screen. Press the controller to open the content menu. Turn the controller to select "Entertainment details" and press to confirm.
  • Map: Press the Nav button twice. Turn to select "Map" and press to confirm. (Or, press Menu, then select Navigation > Map.)
I suggest two things to help prevent this from recurring: Spend a few evenings reading the owner's manual (it's all in there), then spend some time sitting in the parked car and exploring all the options and menus. iDrive is remarkably well organized and easy to use but by design, it consolidates a large amount of information and controls. It's easy to lose track of infrequently-used options like this until you are familiar with the system.

You can also store shortcuts to these two options to return easily to this setup. Set the map to your desired view and scale, then press and hold one of the "radio" preset keys for at least two seconds. From then on, a quick press of that key will recall the map view. While the split-screen content menu is open and you have "Entertainment details" highlighted (before you select it), press and hold another button to store that function as another shortcut. Now you can restore your preferred view with just two steps.

Again, all of this is in the manual...spend some time with it to learn even more features & tricks.

N47 35' 30.13" E11 10' 33.36" - End of break-in...you can guess what came next. BMW CCA

Last edited by Zeichen311; 03-31-2013 at 09:26 PM.