Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 04-25-2011, 09:23 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Production Timelines??

Quick questions...

So I know that the actual build process takes about 40 hours and BMW does this over about 2 weeks of calendar time.... however, once it hits the "production finished" stage, how long until it shows up at the dealer?

My X3 is scheduled to be "finished production" tomorrow the 26th, and from there it has to go to "in route" and then "at prep center" and then "at my dealer". How long does all of this normally take...another couple of weeks? I'm in New jersey
Advertisement
Old 04-25-2011, 09:30 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i & 2013 328iX
I think you need to count an average 2-3 weeks after production...
Old 04-25-2011, 09:31 AM

ok sweet....that is not at all bad.....so I'm looking at Mid-May..good deal.

My setup is:

35i
Mineral Silver
Black Leather
Premium
Tech
Sport
Cold Weather
BMW Apps
Old 04-25-2011, 09:38 AM

Mein Auto: 328xi E90
Depends on where you live in relation to the plant in SC. I've read reports from others that car arrived at dealer 6-7 days after it completed production. This was for folks on the East Coast of the US
Old 04-25-2011, 09:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pault View Post
Depends on where you live in relation to the plant in SC. I've read reports from others that car arrived at dealer 6-7 days after it completed production. This was for folks on the East Coast of the US
Yep understood...see original post I'm in New Jersey...northern to be exact.. .I think the 2 week estimate is a good gauge...makes sense
Old 04-27-2011, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 528 Xi
6 to 7 Days tops

My X 3 finished on April 20th. At the dealer on April 27th. I live in Upstate New York.
So 6 to 7 days tops from the day of finished production stage.
Good Luck..
Old 04-27-2011, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgolf View Post
My X 3 finished on April 20th. At the dealer on April 27th. I live in Upstate New York.
So 6 to 7 days tops from the day of finished production stage.
Good Luck..
wow...that's sweet... thanks. Mine finished up today so should be soon!!!
Old 04-27-2011, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 xDrive28i
I have mine in production to be completed by April 29th. Hoping to get delivery by May 10th.
Old 04-28-2011, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 (wifes car)
Mole- same here. Southern Connecticut. Ours was still showing "at prep center" when it was sitting on the dealers lot.
If you are dealing with Ramsey, as you know, they get a lot of cars..will be here before you know it...
'08 Super Duty Power Stroke (retired)
'07 MB ML CDI (retired)
'04 Toyota Solara convertible (retired)
'03 Range Rover HSE (fired)
Old 04-28-2011, 04:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tyresmoker View Post
Mole- same here. Southern Connecticut. Ours was still showing "at prep center" when it was sitting on the dealers lot.
If you are dealing with Ramsey, as you know, they get a lot of cars..will be here before you know it...
Yea I've figured out that the BMWUSA site is not that great with tracking progress...and neither is the 1800 number...800 number seems to be off by a day and BMWUSA seems to be off by 2-3 days.

Yea I'm dealing with Prestige in Ramsey (great experience BTW..all around) You too? Who did you deal with?
Old 04-28-2011, 05:25 AM

I think we all need to make sure that none of the add-ons (options, packages) delays the production... I've heard that some options effect the production time by months!
For example, in US, in a couple of other threads, some say that if you go for the Nav. Pack without the power tailgate, then you've got delays... (to be confirmed)

We face a longer delivery time here in Canada since it has to be delivered (by truck I guess) up to Toronto... the production takes a week but it seems we have 3 week delivery on our hands!!!
Week 19( May 9th) will my baby's production week and looking at the 3 week delivery, I'm looking at 5th of June delivery... :-(

Does anyone know if accessories such as rear sunblinds, etc. add to this time? Since the dealership mentioned that they will install all extra accessories ordered prior to pick up...

Last edited by Shaw; 04-28-2011 at 05:26 AM.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
I think we all need to make sure that none of the add-ons (options, packages) delays the production... I've heard that some options effect the production time by months!
For example, in US, in a couple of other threads, some say that if you go for the Nav. Pack without the power tailgate, then you've got delays... (to be confirmed)

We face a longer delivery time here in Canada since it has to be delivered (by truck I guess) up to Toronto... the production takes a week but it seems we have 3 week delivery on our hands!!!
Week 19( May 9th) will my baby's production week and looking at the 3 week delivery, I'm looking at 5th of June delivery... :-(

Does anyone know if accessories such as rear sunblinds, etc. add to this time? Since the dealership mentioned that they will install all extra accessories ordered prior to pick up...
It's really hard to find out the truth in regards to the delays... What I've gathered from multiple threads on this site and other threads on other sites, is that the one "confirmed" delay is due to the power tailgate...it's not the combo nav/tailgate..its that if you WANT the tailgate you are being pushed out b/c the motor/parts associated with the tailgate are not there. So basically if you want the convenience package or the tailgate as a stand alone be prepared to wait a while. Tailgate not worth it IMO...it's not that big to lift.

In addition, starting in May they are mandatory NAV with all production. This is harder to confirm but from what I've gathered it's due to one thing....Bluetooth etc now comes standard on the X3 with or without nav....however the part (chip etc...whatever) that enables wireless to work WITHOUT nav is not there due to Japan earthquake...so, when you add nav though that feature comes back b/c it's built into NAV anyway...so rather than have X3's beign shipped without that they want to keep production moving etc...I'm not 100% sure on that but, that is what I've kinda gathered by reading.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
It's really hard to find out the truth in regards to the delays... What I've gathered from multiple threads on this site and other threads on other sites, is that the one "confirmed" delay is due to the power tailgate...it's not the combo nav/tailgate..its that if you WANT the tailgate you are being pushed out b/c the motor/parts associated with the tailgate are not there. So basically if you want the convenience package or the tailgate as a stand alone be prepared to wait a while. Tailgate not worth it IMO...it's not that big to lift.

In addition, starting in May they are mandatory NAV with all production. This is harder to confirm but from what I've gathered it's due to one thing....Bluetooth etc now comes standard on the X3 with or without nav....however the part (chip etc...whatever) that enables wireless to work WITHOUT nav is not there due to Japan earthquake...so, when you add nav though that feature comes back b/c it's built into NAV anyway...so rather than have X3's beign shipped without that they want to keep production moving etc...I'm not 100% sure on that but, that is what I've kinda gathered by reading.
not a bad argument...
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post

BTW and FYI.... actual production takes about 40 hours but calendar days is about 10 I think... from the videos I've seen from other people (posting their production videos) all of them say "40 hours) on build time, but I know that mine went into production on 4/18 and wrapped up 4/27.
Old 04-28-2011, 07:55 AM

Mein Auto: E90/E91
For what it's worth, I have the convinience package on my build (with power tailgate) and I am scheduled for Week 18 with estimated completion May 2. I would assume by this that the power tailgate problem no longer exists.

Another thing important to keep in mind is that the minute you have a production number, all the parts needed for your vehicle are allocated/ordered for it. If there is going to be a problem, they should know right away and likely your dealer would be notified or advised of a delay. Since the factory uses JIT for almost all inventory, there can still be glitches (i.e. vendor not being forthcoming about a potential shortage, etc.) but once you have status 112 you should be safe.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:40 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Placed my order 3/28, car delivered 4/25
Old 04-28-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonskitchen View Post
Placed my order 3/28, car delivered 4/25
wow that's fast...did you get your production video on the bmwusa website?
Old 04-28-2011, 11:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
I did yesterday but they are 'experiencing technical difficulties with this media" -- so i can't watch it... boo.
Old 04-28-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonskitchen View Post
I did yesterday but they are 'experiencing technical difficulties with this media" -- so i can't watch it... boo.
oh man...I hope that means you are still getting it and that it's not jacked up....