Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Closed Thread

Old 08-19-2013, 04:04 PM
The Silverback

Mein Auto: 2006 750Li
BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Bought this thermostat about 3 weeks ago

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-90C-Ther...item3a840457dd

We all know the numerous problems our cars accumulate over time and most of them come from the car running hot all the time. If your cooling system is still sealed your car should get no hotter than 103C degrees when driving in the city and 99-100C on the highway, If you start hitting numbers between 105-110 then your cooling system is already compromised. Your engine and transmission share the same cooling system so this is some serious ****.

Anyhow decided to install the thermostat this past Friday before taking a trip to Chicago. Did some testing and drove around the city before I left, I was at 92-93 degrees driving in the city, the highest it'll hit is 96 then it drops back down to around 90, so let's just say for city driving the temp is between 93-96C. Jumped on the highway later and man the car just felt happier, definitely had more power and I was picking up speed faster than usual. On my whole trip to Chicago which was 2hrs 30min the temp held steady at 92-93C and not once did it go above that. When I got to Chicago I did some heavy city driving, bumper to bumper traffic and the highest I'd hit was 96C degrees, bear in mind it was a hot day too about 85F. Checked temp too on my way back from Chicago and it held steady at 92-93C.

I know some of you are gonna say the company that makes those has bad reviews. Yes I googled them, Yes I read the reviews. What you guys are forgetting is all you really need is the inner parts of the thermostat, so for peace of mind I took out the inner parts of the 90C thermostat and put them inside my OEM stock housing, replaced O Ring No worries (See attached image)

So to answer anyones question yes the thermostat works and will save you a ton of expense and headaches down the line ONLY IF YOUR COOLING SYSTEM ISN'T ALREADY LEAKING, otherwise it's pointless installing it. The choice is yours but I think this is my best mod yet on this car, I'm loving it.

HOW I INSTALLED THE THERMOSTAT!!!!!

BEFORE WE BEGIN, BEAR IN MIND YOU'RE DOING ALL THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK JUST AS I DID!!!!!!

1.) First you wanna get access to the thermostat, if you don't know how watch this video.

- WHEN YOU NOW HAVE ACCESS TO THE THERMOSTAT DRAIN ALL THE COOLANT FROM THE RADIATOR BEFORE YOU REMOVE IT, I REPEAT DRAIN RADIATOR. The drain plug is at the bottom left corner of the radiator, you will have to jack up your car so you can get underneath it to remove the plastic shield under the car that protects engine bay, look it up in TIS if you're unsure

2.) AFTER RADIATOR IS DRAINED, proceed to remove Thermostat as shown in video, there's one 10mm bolt behind the thermostat that's gonna give you trouble as it's hard to reach but if you have extra big hands like I do, grab a 10mm wrench such as this

And reach from under the thermostat to remove the bolt, you'll have enough leverage space that way rather than attempting to unscrew it from the top.

3.) When you have removed the OEM thermostat, wipe it down and remove the O Ring (we're gonna replace it with a new O Ring) now we're gonna swap the element from the 90C thermostat and put it into the OEM thermostat housing

4.) The stock stat pops apart by compressing down the tab that slides across the top of the element spring and turning the unlatching part from the housing, do the same for the 90C thermostat. If you're unsure how to do this I HIGHLY ADVISE you find someone who does because you could hurt yourself or damage the thermostat. When you take out the element TAKE NOTE of location of the hole at the bottom of the element it should be on the same side where the sensor plug is but right above it, when you install the 90C element in the OEM housing it has to be in the same position.

After you have the 90C element installed in the OEM housing, remove the O Ring from the 90C housing and put it on the OEM housing, dip your finger in some coolant and put it around the ring.

5.) Re install your new hybrid thermostat and put the car back together as directed in the video that showed you how to remove it.

6.) I recommend you use OEM BMW coolant and mix it with Distilled water, it's a 50/50 mix, don't re use the coolant you drained.

Top up the coolant per these directions and IT'S VERY IMPORTANT THAT YOU VENT YOUR COOLING SYSTEM AFTER REFILLING COOLANT to prevent uneven warming up which might spike your temp higher than it needs to be because of air bubbles, our cars self vent but I still recommend manually venting.

Venting cooling system and checking for
leaks (N62, N62TU)

Warning!

Danger of scalding!

Open sealing cap only after engine has cooled down.

No vent plugs on radiator and thermostat housing.

Cooling system is vented while it is filled and during subsequent
idle operation.

Note:

Before filling, turn on ignition. Set blower to low level. Seat heating
controller to maximum temperature. This ensures that the heater
valves are fully opened and the auxiliary water pump starts up.

Important: The auxiliary water pump must deliver coolant in order
to ensure fully venting!

Installation:

Use only recommended coolant.

Check cooling system for leaks

Perform filling operation slowly.

Pour coolant into expansion tank (1) up to MAX mark.

Start engine and run at idle speed for approx. one minute (cap
open). Then adjust coolant level to MAX.

Close cap and run engine up to operating temperature until main
thermostat opens. Check cooling circuit and drain plug for leaks

And that's it, ENJOY your cooler running 7 series
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1376960558341.jpg
Views:	438
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	392523  

Last edited by KingSilverback; 08-23-2013 at 10:45 PM.
Advertisement
Old 08-19-2013, 06:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '03 745Li

That's the one SfBay custom ordered and is now selling on eBay. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I'll check Back in a month to see how your car is doing then i'll Order one.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )

Last edited by First_745Li; 08-19-2013 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-19-2013, 06:25 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li

Google the manufacturer.

Old 08-19-2013, 06:32 PM

Mein Auto: 750li
That company has bad reviews.
Old 08-19-2013, 07:40 PM
Besessen Deutsch Autos

Mein Auto: 2006 X5 3.0

Excellent news and keep us posted on how its going.
If i had known id have bought the 4.8is instead
The i6 is treating me great though, just lacks power
I will probably grab one anyway though.

06 X5 3.0 Toledo Blue Metallic/Light Beige 2:
Adaptive Xenon Headlamps, Panoramic Sunroof, Rear Sunshades,
+Factory Aux Input in Ashtray, Bluetooth, Rear PDC Sensors, Rear Electronic Adjustable Seat Backs,
+White Angel Eye LEDs, +5000k LED H11 Foglights, +Blacked Out Chrome Grill Surround, +Puddle Light Logo Projector
.. more updates to come

PREVIOUS 2002 745i
Old 08-19-2013, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 645
This very interesting subject I wanna do it my 645 before running into big problems
Old 08-19-2013, 07:50 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingSilverback View Post
That's all you really need from the the new thermostat.
Damn should hv kept the old one when I replaced it 8 months ago.

'11 328i
'07 Audi A8 (w/ 20,000 miles)
'03 745Li (sold)
'03 Acura TL-S
'02 Infiniti QX4 (sold )
Old 08-19-2013, 10:39 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Mein Auto: Ford Pinto
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperSnoop View Post
Google the manufacturer.

+1
Old 08-19-2013, 10:41 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Yes I googled them, Yes I read the reviews. What you guys are forgetting is all you really need is the inner parts of the thermostat, so for peace of mind I took out the inner parts of the 90C thermostat and put them inside my OEM stock housing, replaced O Ring No worries
you should have made that statement in your Original Post !!!
Old 08-20-2013, 05:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2008/2011 750Li
KingSilverback -- Did you notice any loss in performance or MPG?
Old 08-20-2013, 06:46 AM
The Silverback

Re: BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd750Li View Post
KingSilverback -- Did you notice any loss in performance or MPG?
Mpg is still relatively the same or a tad bit better, nothing significant but I'll test when I fill up my tank. As far as performance goes, the car now feels more aggressive, it's picking up faster than before. Right after I installed the thermostat, I met another 750 and he was trying to keep up with me from behind but my car was picking speed up faster than his. What you need to realize is at a lower operating temp your oil is a little thicker, your vanos works better, therefore better timing settings which helps with pick ups. When your operating temp is between 102-105c oil temp is about 120-140 which makes it very thin so lubrication isn't that good plus pressure is lower, so wear and tear is like two times faster, so yes your performance will improve greatly and your car will live a longer happy life.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using BimmerApp mobile app
Old 08-20-2013, 09:49 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 750LI
Quote:
Mpg is still relatively the same or a tad bit better, nothing significant but I'll test when I fill up my tank. As far as performance goes, the car now feels more aggressive, it's picking up faster than before. Right after I installed the thermostat, I met another 750 and he was trying to keep up with me from behind but my car was picking speed up faster than his. What you need to realize is at a lower operating temp your oil is a little thicker, your vanos works better, therefore better timing settings which helps with pick ups. When your operating temp is between 102-105c oil temp is about 120-140 which makes it very thin so lubrication isn't that good plus pressure is lower, so wear and tear is like two times faster, so yes your performance will improve greatly and your car will live a longer happy life.

The BMW coolant system uses temperature as a function of performance and fuel efficiency. Your cooler running engine is adding some performance but make no mistake your fuel economy is NOT going to be better. But it's not like we bought these cars to save gas anyways right? Did you swap out both thermostats or just one?

Sport Package, Rear Entertainment Package, Comfort Access, Cold Weather Package, Smoking Package, L7 High Def Audio
Mods = Powdercoated 149s, Black hood vent and kidneys, LED lighting update, BMW puddle lights (all doors), custom coding by "Triple_O_Coding" (including VIM), updated navi DVD from "PAPER", 90C hybrid thermostat.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 545i
I modded the stock tstat to run these temps and he's right about the performance gains.At least when your up to temp.I have recieved one tstat temp fault but reset myself.I learned of this mod from LS Corvette guys who's tstat is basically the same as ours.Been running this way for 15k miles and UOA looked great.Have found no other problems.I am hoping seals last longer this time is my main reason for trying this.Also I am not affiliated with the OP but may purchase one of his TStats for future use.
Old 08-20-2013, 10:38 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 760Li

Is there a DIY for swapping the thermostat? I'm wondering if its easy on the N73.

Old 08-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Is there a DIY for swapping the thermostat?
See this video. Fairly straight forward....takes about 25 minutes being very careful!

The process is similar to V12 - 760.

Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM
The Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
The BMW coolant system uses temperature as a function of performance and fuel efficiency. Your cooler running engine is adding some performance but make no mistake your fuel economy is NOT going to be better. But it's not like we bought these cars to save gas anyways right? Did you swap out both thermostats or just one?
Yeah that's why I said MPG is still relatively the same. Naw as I stated I took out the inner part of the 90c thermostat and put it into the OEM thermostat housing. Make sense? so the inner part of the OEM Thermostat was REPLACED by the 90C Thermostat inner part.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
I modded the stock tstat to run these temps and he's right about the performance gains.At least when your up to temp.I have recieved one tstat temp fault but reset myself.I learned of this mod from LS Corvette guys who's tstat is basically the same as ours.Been running this way for 15k miles and UOA looked great.Have found no other problems.I am hoping seals last longer this time is my main reason for trying this.Also I am not affiliated with the OP but may purchase one of his TStats for future use.
Yeah that's what I'm telling them, performance increases drastically and less damage on your car in the long run.

Quote:
Is there a DIY for swapping the thermostat? I'm wondering if its easy on the N73.

HD750Li posted the video I was gonna post, BUT PLEASE use the red drain plug at the bottom of your radiator to drain all the coolant out before you do this otherwise you'll make a helluva mess in your engine bay, I got lazy and didn't wanna jack up the car to drain my radiator, tried to pour the coolant into jugs as I was taking things apart and yeah I made a big friggin mess, some coolant spilled on my belts but I used a towel soaked in really hot water wiped things down and everything was good. I repeat DRAIN the coolant!
Old 08-20-2013, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thesatman View Post
Did you swap out both thermostats or just one?
I'm under the impression that E65/E65 including 760 only has one thermostat. Am I wrong?
Old 08-20-2013, 03:36 PM
The Silverback

Re: BMW 90C Thermostat For N62, N63, N73 Engines

Quote:
Originally Posted by hd750Li View Post
I'm under the impression that E65/E65 including 760 only has one thermostat. Am I wrong?
I didn't get what he meant either.

Old 08-20-2013, 04:10 PM

Mein Auto: 545i
Why not use the new housing also?
Old 08-20-2013, 04:59 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
FYI according to BMW's internal tech documents, a 1% increase in fuel efficency was noted for every 10 Degrees C the temp was raised. So if we get 20MPG, we've gained .2MPG by turning up the temp. Not worth it for me to deal with all the broken rubber seals and gaskets.
2010 Honda Accord Basque Red/Beige
Old 08-20-2013, 05:06 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolfan13 View Post
Why not use the new housing also?
GOOGLE THE MANUFACTURER & you will understand why , Although
just using the part he is referring to is still produced by a manufacturer
that has horrible reviews on a whole lot of there products ...
Old 08-20-2013, 05:23 PM
The Silverback

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAPER View Post
GOOGLE THE MANUFACTURER & you will understand why , Although
just using the part he is referring to is still produced by a manufacturer
that has horrible reviews on a whole lot of there products ...
I'm not forcing anyone to buy this, merely sharing my experience. Yes the manufacturer has bad reviews but there's a very low chance things might go wrong by me only using the inner part and my factory housing e.g me using the whole 90C thermostat and the housing falling apart on me while driving. Better option to me than shimming my OEM Thermostat and I still get cooler temp.
Old 08-20-2013, 05:28 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
I'm not forcing anyone to buy this, merely sharing my experience. Yes the manufacturer has bad reviews but there's a very low chance things might go wrong by me only using the inner part and my factory housing e.g me using the whole 90C thermostat and the housing falling apart on me while driving. Better option to me than shimming my OEM Thermostat and I still get cooler temp.

I'm not saying your forcing anyone to use or buy this product .
I'm just pointing out that even though you are just using the inner
Temp part , That it is still manufactured by a company with lots
of bad feedback on a lot of there products .
Old 08-20-2013, 05:46 PM
The Silverback

Yep I'll take my chances using only the inner part than running at a hot temp all the time and doing even worse damage to my car and more money out of my pocket.
Old 08-20-2013, 06:01 PM
CRISP & CLEAN

Quote:
Yep I'll take my chances using only the inner part than running at a hot temp all the time and doing even worse damage to my car and more money out of my pocket.
& I commend you on your adventure , I would have probably
done exactly the same as you , If my car ran hot . Fortunately
for me my car does not run hot .
Closed Thread