Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 12-27-2010, 07:12 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 750Li, A4 2.0T
Door not closing anymore :mad:

I'm so pissed off. This morning, my wife got in the car and she couldnt close the door anymore. Just bounces back, like there is no latch mechanism in place. Both int & ext door handles work alright, the centralized & door lock works, alarm works, but the door just won't close.

It's a 06 750Li with comfort access and 60k miles. This is the 1st major defect, I had no problems before.
But what a engineering failure this is. How can you design such an important system with no mechanical backup? This is either sheer stupidity or life threatening cost cutting.

My specialty is user centered design. So, since I got the car I saw countless things that make no sense, but this one tops the list. If I would have the time and the nerve, I would sue their ultimate driving ass like there no tomorrow. This is a major safety issue.

Can anybody give me a hug?

Advertisement
Old 12-27-2010, 07:16 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Send a message via Yahoo to vsapra
Mein Auto: 2006 760Li
Had the same issue about 3 years ago. I drove to the dealership holding the door with my left hand and steering with my right.

I feel your pain bro'

V.
Old 12-27-2010, 07:28 PM

Mein Auto: 328i, 750Li, A4 2.0T
You're one "lucky" guy. Having the problem with the passenger side door, basically I cannot drive the car without somebody in the passenger seat, to hold the door. It's incredible, not sure if to laugh or cry.

Even my dad's '78 Moskvich couldnt get so much shame. It's true, if I lifted the carpets, I could see the road and the dirt, but that's another story ...
Old 12-27-2010, 08:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by metrathon View Post
You're one "lucky" guy. Having the problem with the passenger side door, basically I cannot drive the car without somebody in the passenger seat, to hold the door. It's incredible, not sure if to laugh or cry.

Even my dad's '78 Moskvich couldnt get so much shame. It's true, if I lifted the carpets, I could see the road and the dirt, but that's another story ...
what model of moskvich was 412 ?
Old 12-27-2010, 08:19 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750Li
i had tis issue on my previous 06 750, i was lucky enough that it was drivers door and it was just within 3-4 blocks from Manhattan BMW and it happened in the business hours, Lol
Old 12-27-2010, 11:16 PM
Local Enthusiast

Mein Auto: E65,P71 Police Intercept.
Get that fixed asap. If the door closes and cannot be opened anymore the interior door panel has to be destroyed $$$

. 360infiniteusa Angel Eyes . H&R Springs . mObridge AUX Integration .
Old 12-28-2010, 05:11 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Ok I got got question on this issue is it really cold where u are?

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App
Old 12-28-2010, 06:05 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 Bmw 750Li
LOL why dont u tie a rope to ur door and then tie it to ur other door tight then drive to the dealership. itll be like a secondary seat belt =)

2007 750 Li | Mtec v2.1 Angel Eyes | 6000k DMM Tuning HID Fog Lights
2008 Mercedes S600 v12 baby!
2003 Lexus GX470 PEARL WHITE
Old 12-28-2010, 06:20 AM

Mein Auto: BMW745I E65 ,BMW318 IS 94
Quote:
Originally Posted by vsapra View Post
Had the same issue about 3 years ago. I drove to the dealership holding the door with my left hand and steering with my right.

I feel your pain bro'

V.
tell me your joking
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 AM

Send a message via Yahoo to vsapra
Mein Auto: 2006 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lastcombo View Post
tell me your joking
Forgot to mention it was my drivers side door. No way I could stretch that much!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:56 AM

Mein Auto: 750li
This defect occurred on my 06 on all 4 doors over the last year or so. It's expensive, a major pain, and absolutely ridiculous. BMW should have designed a mechanical redundancy into the comfort access system b/c you are SOL if it happens out on the open road. I also was upset that they don't cover this defect for free...it really is not a standard warranty issue but rather a safety defect. pretty poor on BMW's part IMO

Just wondering....is this a pretty common occurrence...has it happened to alot of owners?

Last edited by Willy Carter; 12-28-2010 at 10:15 AM.
Old 12-28-2010, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
Happened to me 6 months ago, i fixed it, it was simple. But I forgot what I did.

650i sport hud ac schnitzer eibach resognator delete m6 quads akebonos
Old 12-28-2010, 12:00 PM

Mein Auto: 745i
Lol at headshot

That's what I was thinking and you said it. Jokes I cracked up at work in my glass office an people were looking! Lol
Old 12-28-2010, 12:10 PM
stlbmw

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li/1999 528i
Had an 02 745Li. Never had a door problem like this, but over the past year I came to many realizations these cars have alot of
issues that have indicated there is no depth to their engineering. I had all I could take and sold the car.
With the laundry list of problems these cars have, the door is just the tip of the iceberg.

2002 745Li

1999 528i
Old 12-28-2010, 01:56 PM

Mein Auto: '03 745Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by MakaveliFaison View Post
Happened to me 6 months ago, i fixed it, it was simple. But I forgot what I did.
Awesome! LOL
Old 12-28-2010, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 07 750Li
Had this issue a few months back, i played with the latch, pushed it in with my finger then it started working again so i could go to the dealership. They fixed the door, and also ordered me a new door handle

2007 BMW 750Li Black on Black
~Night Vision, Active Cruise Control, Comfort Access, Executive Package
~22" MRR GT1, ACS roof and trunk spoiler, 15mm spacers in front 20mm in rear, 3k fogs/6k headlights, tint, angel ibrights, eibach springs in front and lowering links in rear
Old 12-28-2010, 03:02 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Carter View Post
This defect occurred on my 06 on all 4 doors over the last year or so. It's expensive, a major pain, and absolutely ridiculous. BMW should have designed a mechanical redundancy into the comfort access system b/c you are SOL if it happens out on the open road. I also was upset that they don't cover this defect for free...it really is not a standard warranty issue but rather a safety defect. pretty poor on BMW's part IMO

Just wondering....is this a pretty common occurrence...has it happened to alot of owners?

Just curious, when this happened did this happen with your car:
If you slammed the door, right before it would close comfort access would stop the door and softly close the door? If yes, I think your car among others may have been the reason for the redesign with the software update.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:44 PM

Not really....the latch just stopped working altogether and there is no mechanical backup to trigger the latch. Replacing the latch with labor on one door cost over $800 if memory serves. I had the others removed and lubed for a cost of about $600) at a local non-BMW dealer and they are still hanging in there although I can't be sure how long they will last. What a joke!

I don't think a software update would fix the problem I experienced but who knows.
Old 12-28-2010, 03:50 PM

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willy Carter View Post
Not really....the latch just stopped working altogether and there is no mechanical backup to trigger the latch. Replacing the latch with labor on one door cost over $800 if memory serves. I had the others removed and lubed for a cost of about $600) at a local non-BMW dealer and they are still hanging in there although I can't be sure how long they will last. What a joke!

I don't think a software update would fix the problem I experienced but who knows.
The latch is partially electronic so the door can lock properly with the slower closing soft close doors. Like I said, try slamming a door and see if it closes or stops and soft close intervenes at the last moment. If the latter, than your car doesn't have the updated software which allows it to slam shut. I'm guessing that the updated software puts less wear on the door latches...
Old 12-28-2010, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmeance View Post
The latch is partially electronic so the door can lock properly with the slower closing soft close doors. Like I said, try slamming a door and see if it closes or stops and soft close intervenes at the last moment. If the latter, than your car doesn't have the updated software which allows it to slam shut. I'm guessing that the updated software puts less wear on the door latches...
I think mine acts like the former so I must have the updated software.
Old 09-11-2011, 05:05 AM

Mein Auto: 750Li
My dad had the same issue on his 07 750Li. The door was not properly whilst he was driving. Luckily he was in city not motorway. One hand on the wheel and one pulling the door. As 'metrathon' said, it's life threatening, the final say from them is they will repair 4 doors without a penny. But my dad wants them to pay back what he paid for (which is already a lot less if there were any accidents caused *touchwood). Of course they refused. My dad is considering to get to the media.
Old 07-24-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: Tahoe, 750I
just had this happen today , dicked around with handle a bunch and now it works as it should. I would rather get ahead of this , for those of you that had this repaired what exactly was the cause?
Old 07-25-2012, 05:18 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW X5;2002 BMW 745i
Count Me In

This happened to me last winter when I opened my door with chunks of ice on the handle. It wouldn't latch closed and the soft close didn't work anymore. I don't have comfort access. I pushed the black latch in and out a few times and played with the door lock plunger a few times. Then I pulled out my phone, did some searching, and read somewhere to try and pull both the interior and exterior handles at the same time. I think that was what did the trick and it has never happened since. If you want to be proactive / or to see if you can find the problem while it's happening, take off the interior door panel and check all the plastic things that hold in the bowden cables for both the interior and exterior door handles. I think if they slip loose there won't be enough tension for the cable to work. Think of it like the brakes on a bicycle.
Old 12-24-2012, 09:04 AM

Mein Auto: City
I had this issue with my driver side rear door. and had to drive home with one arm holding the rear door..very painful. glad that it wasnt passenger side rear door. This morning i tried to see if it was just temporary problem but it wasnt working so i played with the latch, pushed it in with my finger then asked someone to pull both inside and outside handles at same time and ....YAY it fixed it.... hope you can try that it might save you $500-$800...if not it could make you able to get to dealership..
If this helped you please dont forget to mention it here..it could help some other fellow bmw owner same way it helped you....
Old 12-26-2012, 08:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 750 LI
Door not closing recall

There is a recall for this issue. My vehicle (07 750LI) is at the dealer now because they had to order parts. The recall calls for updating a program. When they attempted that I guess the computer told them to order parts because the door still would not close. This issue only happened to me when I went out of town. Lifting the handles did not work for me anymore. However standing outside and holding the door closed cycled the mechanism and it eventually closed. Of course I thought of this once I got home.
Recommend all BMW owners register their vehicle to include the vin at their nearest dealership http://www.bmwusa.com/

This will enable BMW to send coupons for oil changes and recall notifications. That is how I got notified. You can also book an appointment online/schedule maintenance/other/door not closing recall. Bring in your key and they will check if your VIN has the recall. I believe the recall went as far back as 02. I left the notice in my vehicle.

Being they could not give me my vehicle back due to safety issues they had to give me a loaner.

Hope this helps

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search