Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 03-28-2010, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 745i
03 745i - Car will not start

I need some trouble shooting help:

My wife puts the key in pushes the brake and then the push start button, the car pops out the key and doesnt start. Now the dash is flashing the message "Starter! Leave engine running - Trans. range N with engine on." and the car is not responding to the key wither in terms of the door locks, trunk lid etc. etc.

Do i need a new starter??? Do i need to replace the battery in my key???

Any infomation/help would be very much appreciated!!! The car is at my wife's job which is literally dwn the street from a BMW dealership but we ca
nt get the car started to get it there...

Advertisement
Old 03-28-2010, 06:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 745i
would be good if she would disconnect battery, wait 15 minutes, and connect again. can she do it?
Old 03-28-2010, 06:08 PM
MERK MODE

Send a message via MSN to gridlock249
Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Looks like to me you need to get BMW to reprogram your key. That is why it keeps rejecting it by popping out. Its about $150 to reprogram it. You might have to tow it to them unfortuneately.

J
Upgraded AIB/HID lights| HID Foglight

Development: LED Lights | IPOD audio compatible

(C) SAFEKICKS INC. ENTERTAINMENT. ::
Old 03-28-2010, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw E64/5, Maserati GT
I thought keys can't be reprogramed?
Old 03-28-2010, 07:05 PM

also auto insurance should cover towing
but i would come and disconnect battery before towing and wasting $ at dealer
Old 03-28-2010, 07:47 PM

disconnect the battery or just turn the battery off by using the on ff switch which is above the fuse box...
Old 03-28-2010, 08:59 PM

disconnecting the battery will do a reset
with switch off it wouldnt
Old 03-28-2010, 09:02 PM

how do i go about doing that? is it in the owners manual?
Old 03-29-2010, 11:35 AM

Mein Auto: bmw 745li
My car did this yesterday so i took off the neg side of the battery that is located in the trunk and let it sit for a couple of min and then it started up. Theres nothing more embarassing having a 7 series that doesnt start i had to go threw it last night good luck.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:05 PM

thanks for the tip it is greatly appreciated!!!

where in the trunk is this connection located? near the fuse box area or somewhere else???
Old 03-29-2010, 12:11 PM

Mein Auto: AC Schnitzer 745i Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by alex66 View Post
thanks for the tip it is greatly appreciated!!!

where in the trunk is this connection located? near the fuse box area or somewhere else???
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2810754...7622880089625/
Old 03-29-2010, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: bmw 745li
its where the spare is its to the right of the spart you can just unscrew it, and have you tryed to jump the car i actually had to do this to get my car to turn over because it would just make clicking noises but everything works well now.
Old 03-29-2010, 12:15 PM

car is still fully functional in terms of electricity, locks, trunk lid, lights, etc. so i dont think i would want to jump it. just doesnt want to recognize my key ...

but i will try disconnecting the battery thank you very much for the help...

worst case i get it towed a mile to the bmw dealer!!!
Old 04-01-2010, 11:25 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 745i
Try this... if i can remember correctly...push the key into the slot and hold it in there for several seconds. this should re-initialize the key with the car. then try to start. these keys can't be program only the earlier stuff. Do you have another key to put in the car? if that key works , then you narrowed it down to that key. if it recognizes the key, but still doesn't start, try rolling down the window if it creeps down then you have a power issue like a battery, etc. if none of your keys work you might have a failure of the module that your putting the keys in. hope it works
Old 04-01-2010, 08:07 PM

i appreciate everybodys help!!! all i had to do was disconnect the battery, re-cnnect it and the car responded to the key again immediately!!! has been driving since the day after i initially posted this dilema!!!

amazing i was soooooo close to having the car towed to bmw, god knows how much they would have banged me for!!!!!!!

thanks again to everyone that posted responses they are/were greatly appreciated!!!
Old 04-05-2010, 09:58 AM

Mein Auto: E 61,E 65, 10 range rover
im am going through this problem right now, do i disconnect the negative or positive cable to get it to restart.?

what causes this problem? i used a key today that i have not used in a long time, and just ran some errands around town this morning. could it be the key?
Old 04-05-2010, 10:05 AM
stlbmw

Mein Auto: 2002 745Li/1999 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by javablack View Post
im am going through this problem right now, do i disconnect the negative or positive cable to get it to restart.?

what causes this problem? i used a key today that i have not used in a long time, and just ran some errands around town this morning. could it be the key?

Disconnect the neg. Recall...when the neg terminal of any power source is removed
there is no ground to complete the circuit...no power will flow unless there is an adequate ground. Leave it disconnected for about 15-20 min. Hard to say what the exact cause is.
Battery power up to snuff ?

stlbmw

2002 745Li

1999 528i
Old 04-05-2010, 10:10 AM

Mein Auto: E 61,E 65, 10 range rover
Quote:
Originally Posted by stlbmw View Post
Disconnect the neg. Recall...when the neg terminal of any power source is removed
there is no ground to complete the circuit...no power will flow unless there is an adequate ground. Leave it disconnected for about 15-20 min. Hard to say what the exact cause is.
Battery power up to snuff ?

stlbmw
it was replaced a few years ago i will disconnect the negative cable and see what happens. thanks
Old 11-10-2010, 09:22 PM
The Outlander

Send a message via MSN to theoutlander
Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745 LI
I just got into my car and experienced the same problem. I'm going to try the recommended solution. It did cross my mind to do that as it seems like some software issue to me ... anyway, hope that works. Thanks for the tips!
Old 10-20-2011, 08:37 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 bmw 745i
2003 bmw 745 key

hey everybody today i tried to fix my lock button on my remote ... i did but now my car doesnt grab the key when i insert it in the car but it does locks and unlocks the car .... any ideas ???
Old 06-16-2012, 04:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745Li
We have a 2003 BMW 745Li & Today I just had the same problem, the key keeps popping out and doesnt start. The dash is flashing the message "Starter! Leave engine running - Trans. range N with engine on." and the car is not responding at all to the key.

I am sooooo happy and grateful that I found this forum! I was at my wits end and my last resort was to try what was listed above in this fourm by Dismarine745, which was, "take off the negative side of the battery, that is located in the trunk and let it sit for a couple of min and then it started up."

I did not think it would work. BUT IT DID!!!!! You just saved me a ton of cash and I cannot thank you enough Dismarine745!!!!! How in the world did you come up with this fix and looking toward the future what do you think is really wrong with it? Any ideas?

Thank you so much! I am very grateful to have my 745 back in my own garage without having to tow it here.

Thanks & Bless u!
Old 12-19-2012, 02:16 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 bmw 745i
im having having the same issue help

2002 bmw 745i ..wont accept key fob qnd wont start apon returning from shoping ..windows also stuck down ..how can i get windows up and what should i try to resolve issue ..i only have 1 key
Old 07-10-2013, 04:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 735i
Quote:
Originally Posted by josefrivas View Post
hey everybody today i tried to fix my lock button on my remote ... i did but now my car doesnt grab the key when i insert it in the car but it does locks and unlocks the car .... any ideas ???
Any solutions on this?
I am having the same problem...
Old 07-10-2013, 04:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 735i
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonasChild View Post
We have a 2003 BMW 745Li & Today I just had the same problem, the key keeps popping out and doesnt start. The dash is flashing the message "Starter! Leave engine running - Trans. range N with engine on." and the car is not responding at all to the key.

I am sooooo happy and grateful that I found this forum! I was at my wits end and my last resort was to try what was listed above in this fourm by Dismarine745, which was, "take off the negative side of the battery, that is located in the trunk and let it sit for a couple of min and then it started up."

I did not think it would work. BUT IT DID!!!!! You just saved me a ton of cash and I cannot thank you enough Dismarine745!!!!! How in the world did you come up with this fix and looking toward the future what do you think is really wrong with it? Any ideas?

Thank you so much! I am very grateful to have my 745 back in my own garage without having to tow it here.

Thanks & Bless u!
You having problem in the keys keep popping out? Taking the negative of the battery out and leave it for a min and did the trick? No other programming needed after taking off the negative terminal?
Old 08-25-2013, 06:24 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 745LI
2003 745li WONT START!,PUSHES KEY OUT!

Hi Guys,I bought a 2003 745LI BMW at the auction I drove it home a 2 hour drive home. it drove fine air conditioner blew strong everything worked fine windows,sunroof,seats,shades,idrive needed programming,besides feeling like it needed new tires and a good alignment everything was peachy. I parked it and took off the battery for charging.

I charged it and installed the battery back a few weeks later (was detailing and changing oils,filters,rotors, ect...) and it wouldn't start and it wont accept my key it pushes it out.
the idrive wont come on and there's no power to my windows,shades,radio (cd player accepts cds but wont play them). I did change the original key fob casing could i damaged or unprogrammed the chip?
  • What works:
  • side mirrors,power seat adjustments, power locks, cd player,(sucks in cd but will not play),
  • inside lights,dashboard lights,speedometer lights,door lights,reading lights,doors self close feature.
  • trunk lights
  • rear lights
      • Issues:What doesn't work.
      • key not accepted is pushed out. "NON COMFORT ACCESS" dealer verified via my vin. number.
      • car wont start,no response from ignition start button, no noise,crank nothing, (as if not powered but does light up when I turn on the light switch.
      • headlamps did work for a bit then turned off and wont turn on anymore.
      • no idrive (doesnt power on black screen),windows,sunroof,radio,ignition,non responsive
NOTE: I did change the original key fob casing could I have damaged or unprogrammed the chip?

Please help id like to get my baby back on the road. Thank you all for your time.

Last edited by Jorge554; 08-25-2013 at 06:26 PM. Reason: format

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search