Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

E63 / E64 M6 (2006 - 2010)

Old 02-23-2010, 06:31 AM

Mein Auto: performance cars
M6...which transmission?

I am buying an M6 but have yet to select a tranmission. I have read compelling arguments stating that one transmission is great and the other is to be avoided. The confusing thing is that I have read these opinions about BOTH transmissions. My question is this: Which transmission is clearly desireable or that is better suited to the V10 engine? Thank you very much.
Advertisement
Old 02-23-2010, 07:06 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 M3 Vert
There is no clear answer to your question. Some people like the "semi-auto" transmissions like SMG-III or DCT and others think there use is a travesty. This is a personal taste only issue. There isn't a clear superior option for the S85 based on its characteristics in my opinion.

I think you need to look at the car and how you drive it. The 6'er is a blvd cruiser not a sports car. Personally, I think the SMG-III would be a better fit, especially if traffic is an issue too.

Are you buying new or used? If new, I'd say keep your powder dry and await the 2011s later this fall. No point in rushing to buy the last model year 6'er months before it's replaced, especially since the new car 1) appears to be "de-Banglized" and 2) has a more powerful, yet more efficient power plant.

If you're inclined for a semi-auto transmission, the DCT version sure to be in the new car is a step up from SMG too.

Last edited by md7562; 02-23-2010 at 02:54 PM.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:43 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: MB SL550
I think it's a personal choice, and depends on your driving style/preference/skill. Having said that, the M6/M5 were designed for the 7 speed SMG and vice versa. The 6 speed manual was an afterthought. Hope this makes your choice a bit clearer.

Last edited by BravoMikeWiskey; 03-01-2010 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-18-2010, 05:29 AM
Sejanus

Mein Auto: From BMWs to Porsches
Quote:
Originally Posted by md7562 View Post
There is no clear answer to your question. Some people like the "semi-auto" transmissions like SMG-III or DCT and others think there use is a travesty. This is a personal taste only issue. There isn't a clear superior option for the S85 based on its characteristics in my opinion.

I think you need to look at the car and how you drive it. The 6'er is a blvd cruiser not a sports car. Personally, I think the SMG-III would be a better fit, especially if traffic is an issue too.

Are you buying new or used? If new, I'd say keep your powder dry and await the 2011s later this fall. No point in rushing to buy the last model year 6'er months before it's replaced, especially since the new car 1) appears to be "de-Banglized" and 2) has a more powerful, yet more efficient power plant.

If you're inclined for a semi-auto transmission, the DCT version sure to be in the new car is a step up from SMG too.
+1! It really is a matter of personal preference. The BMW V10 is a monster power plant and I like the way it responds to the SMG. I use the paddles almost exclusively; there's a slight lag between 1st and 2nd gears, but after thereafter it's pretty damn responsive and quick. 2nd gear pulls like it could last forever; typically after 2nd, you're exceeding the speed limit.

"You think that's air you're breathing now?"
-Morpheus
Old 03-18-2010, 04:06 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 BMW 540i Sport 6-spd
With the disclaimer that I've driven neither, my understanding is that the three pedal version was made as an afterthought, due to demand from (ironically, and not just in an Alanis way) the U.S. market. In the SMG version, you can completely turn off the DSC. Three pedal, you can only turn it down a good deal. Many have also complained that the Getrag gearbox just isn't designed to work with the V10 in the same way that the SMG is.

I'd want a clutch pedal, but sadly there are clear disadvantages here that don't apply with most other cars, even BMWs.

Last edited by TJSwoboda; 03-19-2010 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:34 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35d, 2007 M6
If you follow the M6 Boards you'll notice 90% of all issues with M6's are related to the SMG. I bought an 07 coupe with the manual transmission as if I decide to not go for an extended warranty I CAN repair/replace a manual transmission or clutch. I couldn't do that with the SMG.

The manual trans puts you more in tune with the car and with a modified exhaust it's more fun as you can "show off" your exhaust much better. Anyone can drive an SMG but the manual gives you a little more exclusivity too. I've had lots of compliments on the manual transmission in such a beautiful car also.