Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 08-03-2012, 11:45 AM

Mein Auto: 2013 MINI JCW Countryman
Resetting emissions?

I have taken my car to the state emissions folks to get inspected, and in turn, to get registered.

Unfortunately, the car has failed three times. The emissions guy the last time was very nice - because of him, I went to the dealership where they educated me about the need to reset the emissions system following work on the engine, which might take up to 7 hours of highway driving. And there was emissions work done prior to my picking up the car.

I tried to search here and was unsuccessful in finding anything about this. Can anyone point me to more info about this? I've just completed a 2 hour drive, and am going to try a retest. Hopefully I won't have to go driving some more if this isn't enough to have reset things.

And my temp tag expires tomorrow - I may be able to have a 30 day grace period, but not sure.

Thanks in advance!
Ads by Google
Old 08-03-2012, 01:07 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Wow, that's interesting.

They might be referring to the "adaptations" that are described in the document linked here:

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...50&postcount=4

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 08-03-2012, 05:41 PM

Well, some 350+ miles after some recall work was done on my car prior to my purchasing it (and at this moment I don't know exactly what was done), my car still insists on failing the Davidson County, TN emissions tests. The testers and the local BMW service techs told me that it's normal for modern diesels needing to be "cycled" after any service that touches the emission system to reset it. However, they both thought that over 300 miles should be plenty of driving to do that.

The testers referred to the car as failing 2 out of the 6 categories - on the printout, they are listed as OBD results. It passes Comm, Mil, KOEO, KOER, and gets "Not Ready" for "HeatedO2" and "Cat".

So, the car is going to be worked on at the local BMW dealership on Monday.

Might anyone here be able to gather meaning from this?
Old 08-03-2012, 06:18 PM
HerrDoktorProfessor

Mein Auto: '11 335d
Interesting. I just did my PA state inspection today and because it's a diesel it didn't need emissions testing at all.

Entertaining America Since 1975
European Delivery July 26th 2011
ED Video: https://vimeo.com/60051914
ED Trip Report:http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=557294

335d| Deep Sea Blue| Black/Aluminum | Stuff | Gadgets | More Stuff | Power Whatnots | Auto-Verbing Nouns
BMWCCA #448878
Old 08-04-2012, 07:17 AM

Mein Auto: 335d
I'd like to point out, only because everyone is always bagging on "Kalifornia", that we don't have to test our cars for the first 5 years after sale. Also, we have no annual inspections either (so feel free to drive around without headlights, taillights, bumpers, doors, whatever, we don't care!).
Old 08-04-2012, 10:47 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
We don't care about the lack of all those things -- however the Chippies do and will cite you in a heartbeat for any or all of the above. The days of "fixit" tickets have pretty well disappeared now that our beloved Gov. Moonbeam and the clowns in the statehouse have spent us into bankrupt status. They need all the money they can get their grubby little hands on and tickets are one way they do it.
Old 08-06-2012, 06:55 AM

Aint this some crap wasnt Califonia the state that ENSUED the SMOG test and at One time long time ago cars were specifically made to comply with California smog regualtions and the rest of the country did not have to comply with , and NOW we all have to go thru these BS regulations and guess what California is BROKE!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
We don't care about the lack of all those things -- however the Chippies do and will cite you in a heartbeat for any or all of the above.
Uh, no they don't; as evidenced by all the vehicles driving around without them. Local City cops selectively enforce vehicle regulations depending on what City, but CHP couldn't give a rat's ass about them.
Old 08-06-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 335D, 435i (Ordered)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maybe335d View Post
I have taken my car to the state emissions folks to get inspected, and in turn, to get registered.

Unfortunately, the car has failed three times. The emissions guy the last time was very nice - because of him, I went to the dealership where they educated me about the need to reset the emissions system following work on the engine, which might take up to 7 hours of highway driving. And there was emissions work done prior to my picking up the car.

I tried to search here and was unsuccessful in finding anything about this. Can anyone point me to more info about this? I've just completed a 2 hour drive, and am going to try a retest. Hopefully I won't have to go driving some more if this isn't enough to have reset things.

And my temp tag expires tomorrow - I may be able to have a 30 day grace period, but not sure.

Thanks in advance!
They're correct. Something about the ECU being able to conduct "X" number of cycles regarding the emissions system. Happens on gassers as well. It's X miles and X starts/stops

Last edited by BMWTurboDzl; 08-06-2012 at 01:28 PM.
Old 08-07-2012, 08:23 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Pasa-d -- Well maybe the chippies don't care in SoCal but they seem to up here. The chippies, county mounties, and the city smokies all will cite vehicle problems. The dark tinted window seems to be a favorite with the chippies, and lack of a front plate bothers the city smokies. Of course if you are running against a little old lady in a red Super Stock Dodge down Colorado Blvd then -- hey who cares!
Old 08-07-2012, 03:49 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
No emissions checks on diesels in Texas. So my sticker is only $14.75. New cars have a 2 year inspection sticker in Texas normally but after that, it's every year. Since I purchased out of state (PA) and drove back, I had to get an inspection when car was only 7 months old (I bought a loaner with 6000 miles). this was part of the out of state titleing process.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:52 PM

Mein Auto: 01 530i SP
mine failed emissions I believe b/c the CEL was on for my on/off P0740 error code. After not getting definitive answers I purchased the $98 Equus 3100 OBDII Scan Tool from WMart, erased the code and took it back and passed the retest. My fault for taking it in while the CEL light was on. Stupid thing went off as I was driving out. I started to turn around but was thinking it prob would still fail w/the code stuck in mem. That I still wonder b/c NOW after the fact I have read that the CEL on does fail the test...but does it fail when no CEL but code in mem???? Anywho, I do notice the newer scanners like this one have the 3 emission lights (green/yellow/red) and although it erase the code out of mem, the yellow lights up for 'pending' code - as I'm already aware of my issue P0740 Torque converter clutch open needs to be addressed.

So, I said all that to say, if at the end of the day you're looking to pass the emissions test to allow renewing tabs (like me), if it's an option for you (w/your car issues) than either consider buying a scanner or going somewhere to have it/them cleared. For the first time I noticed today that the Actron Autozone uses has the erase button on it. My thought was I could've saved $98 and all they had to do was hit the erase key! But these days having your own scan tool seems to be the right thing to do.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:21 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWTurboDzl View Post
They're correct. Something about the ECU being able to conduct "X" number of cycles regarding the emissions system. Happens on gassers as well. It's X miles and X starts/stops
Yeap. I believe all cars are this way in hopes of weeding out the people who simply reset their computer to try and avoid getting caught by the state inspection for thrown codes(that cause you to fail). Which is something is much prefer to deal with over a true sniffer test since here on gassers it is one or the other based on vehicle age. I think once a car is 25 years old here then it is just safety inspections, diesels here are just safety inspections.
Old 08-09-2012, 07:56 AM

Mein Auto: 01 530i SP
Also, comparing the two tests, the only diff is on the SAS (Secondary Air Sys or Smog pump), the failed tests shows it "Ready" while the passed test shows it "Not Ready" - which I understand b/c I cleared the code after it's 1min job already ran for the day that morning. Perhaps waiting another day giving it a chance to run "after clearing mem" would've registered it also as "Ready". But thankfully it's not needed for a pass/fail so I'm good! lol
Old 08-14-2012, 06:56 PM

Well, the local dealership has had my car since August 6. Being driven by various dealership staffers with dealer tags. Still awaiting two monitors to reset! They have been nice enough to give me a loaner car.

Could a situation like this have been prevented? Should the selling dealership had done warranty work that impacted the emissions system immediately prior to the sale? Should that selling dealership have attempted to put enough mileage on the car to reset the monitors?

Not sure how this could've been avoided.
Old 08-15-2012, 06:56 PM

Well, miracles do happen! Got a call from the dealership - all has properly reset today, and the car has passed emissions!

I happen to be out of town for work, so will pick it up Friday afternoon.

Patience is a virtue!
Old 08-16-2012, 05:02 AM

Mein Auto: 4 diesels
Glad that worked out for you.

How many miles and on/off cycles did they have to put on your car?

2004 Ram Cummins with lots-o-mods
Old 08-18-2012, 01:00 PM

Picked up the car yesterday. Took them about 10 days to get 5 of 6 items reset. And the car would pass emissions without that last one being reset.

They put about 750 miles on the car, and gave me the car back with a full tank of gas. They even took the car to the testing center, got it tested, and got me the necessary paperwork.

While it was annoying, not sure who should have or could have done things different to prevent this. The local dealer was good enough to give me a loaner as soon as one freed up. The selling dealership wanted the car to be in the best shape possible. The only real opportunity for improvement would have been if I had been explicitly told when I received the car that this was likely to be an issue, I would have made a point of putting more miles on it as soon as I got it. Instead, I ran out of time with the expiration of my temp tag.

Oh well. Hopefully all's well that ends well.