Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 01-23-2017, 03:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D
Rough Idle bummerfest

Hello all,
Just bought a lightly used (114K miles) 2011 335d for only 12K
I'm not new to diesels but definitely new to BMW. The car is in damn good condition considering the amount of miles on the vehicle. just needs some trim pieces and the side indicators replaced due to age

HOWEVER, while driving from Phoenix to California, I did get a check engine light and reduced power (2k rpm limit) that seemed to clear itself after 2 minutes. Power seemed normal afterwards until i got onto surface roads. The car has developed a rough idle that almost feels like a misfire when the vehicle is idling at a stop. the SES light is now on full time and is reading generic code P0101 which I have read on here could be anything from the MAF to DDE (is this what the ECU is called?) or an injector. I took it into a shop and the claimed they could not replicate the rough idle but did do 12 - 13 factory programming updates. Problem went away for 1 week then has returned.

I know the guy I bought it from and drove it for a whole week before purchasing, the problem didn't exist about a month ago. Trans/diff service was done roughly 2000 miles ago, no problems to report in the 1500 miles between the service and me purchasing it. It also has never had a CBU clean out done (HOW TF???)

Has anyone had that code in combination with the very rough idle? What are the chances this isn't an injector??? And if it is tuning, should I wait till next month when I do the full delete exhaust, egr race pipe, and 2.8 tuning from fixmyVW??

I am still happy with the car, nicest car I've owned for sure. Cannot wait to unleash all the torque in this monster!!!!

oh and as far as suspension upgrades, just swap to M3 parts or what?

Last edited by Kittennmittenz; 01-23-2017 at 03:55 PM.
Advertisement
Old 01-23-2017, 04:19 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 328d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kittennmittenz View Post
Has anyone had that code in combination with the very rough idle? What are the chances this isn't an injector??? And if it is tuning, should I wait till next month when I do the full delete exhaust, egr race pipe, and 2.8 tuning from fixmyVW??
So why are you here?
Old 01-23-2017, 04:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ingenieur View Post
So why are you here?
Has anyone had that code in combination with the very rough idle? What are the chances this is an injector???

^^^ that's a question. People come to forums to ask questions and get answers. So it seems that even the diesel bimmer guys are funny guys too

Last edited by Flyingman; 01-23-2017 at 06:15 PM. Reason: Inappropriate Language
Old 01-24-2017, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 diesel
Clean your MAF, check for vacuum leaks, see if any of the boost hoses popped out. All easy and free things you can do.
Im not familiar with that code, if you are deleting all that stuff then it may get fixed with tuning and such. Good luck and post updates after its all done.
Old 01-24-2017, 08:38 AM

Mein Auto: 4 BMWs, 1 Jeep, 1 Vespa
Can't help with the code, just here to say welcome and congrats on the new to you BMW Diesel.

Wondering how you're planning on getting away with the mods in CA, assuming you're going to "reset it" come smog time?

Old 01-24-2017, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, 328ix, hard bargain
so, you brought it into a shop and they didn't pull the BMW DTC's? The SES was on, so there had to be something other than a generic P code. The shop did a bunch of programming updates, but didn't do any troubleshooting specific to the MAF Sensor or issues commonly associated with P0101? Things like check the MAF sensor to see if it's dirty, testing the MAF sensor, checking air filter, cracked intake boot/vacuum leaks, bad EGR throttle valve (btw, BMW extended the EGR throttle valve warranty for M57 diesel engine to 10yr/120k miles, you can verify if your car has it by going to bmw-rp.com)?

Last edited by imtjm; 01-24-2017 at 10:47 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 10:39 AM
Oil Burner

Mein Auto: 335D
CBU cleaning is never a bad idea - especially at that mileage. I'd be willing to bet that, along with the typically associated carboned-up injector tips will be your findings.

Last edited by Nadir Point; 01-24-2017 at 10:49 AM.
Old 01-24-2017, 01:35 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335D Msport
I had P0101 and I unplugged the MAF and replugged it. My connector doesn't give the nice click sound so I guess it has a little play now. I had just done an oil catch can install and had the MAF connector off while the intake box was puled out of the way. After replug and driving for about 10 minutes the SES went away. This was at about 38,000 miles and I'm now at 53,000 miles.

The only real way to know if you have CBU is to look. The intake manifold has to be pulled off and use a boroscope to look into the head's ports. Also, use the scope to look inside the intake. I only had a minor buildup on my ports. The main rectangular ports were very clean and the tangential ports (smaller round ones) had a little bit but not enough to warrant walnut shell blasting. I have stopped the carbon source and "most of" the oil source which both mix to form the pudding like CBU that collects. I say most of the oil source as the turbos themselves can theoretically have an oil seal leak and the head itself can have a valve stem leak. Both of these can happen on a gas car too though. I feel that early on the main source of oil comes from the crank case ventilation scheme. My oil catch can doesn't seem to get that much collection though. So, either the oil isn't condensing in it (like it should) or I don't have much oil vapor coming out of the crank case ventilation duct. Last time I looked in my EGR valve, it was bone clean and no oil film. It may be time for another peek though. The winter months are when it should be cooler to get better collection within the can. My dipstick in the can barely registers that I have anything in it which means about 0.3" full or so. Dipstick doesn't go quite to the bottom. Come over to e90post/m57 and n57 diesel section where we do a fair amount of mods.

I did brisk past one other proven method of stopping and possibly reversing CBU. A number of people have went to meth/water injection which cleans the intake and head's ports. A user here and E90post named Hoooper showed us before and after pictures of running meth with about 10,000 or 15,000 miles in between. The ports cleaned up. I have no went to meth injection myself but there are a group of believers out there. Of course, meth inj gives another 20 hp or so too :-]. Hoooper will likely be along shortly to attest the cleaning that it does.

Last edited by BB_cuda; 01-24-2017 at 01:40 PM.
Old 02-04-2017, 01:29 PM

Update: rough idle is now a constant issue. My plan is to do all of the modifications noted above, plus the CBU clean out. (Along with other boring maintenance stuff) I can't imagine the problem existing after that. Will check the MAF, vacuum lines, etc. while we are in there. Will update once done.
Hopefully, problem solved and we can skip to just exhaust videos and performance fun!!
Just ordered the full delete exhaust and egr race pipe, 2.8 tuning, larger intercooler, and plugs for those swirl flaps. I spoke with the guys from FixmyVW and he mentioned that JR tuning is working on 500hp tune/turbo kit for these cars!!

Do these engines have the crankcase oil fumes routed into the intake like diesel pickup engines do?

Also, can someone point me in the right direction for the water/meth injection kits?? I've ran them on diesels before and have had great results
Old 02-04-2017, 01:39 PM
Oil Burner

Mein Auto: 335D
Quote:
Do these engines have the crankcase oil fumes routed into the intake like diesel pickup engines do?
Yep - and it is the precursor to CBU. I presently have my vent branched through a catch can on the intake side with the other side of the tee dumping to the old DEF port at the bottom of the downpipe.
Quote:
Also, can someone point me in the right direction for the water/meth injection kits?? I've ran them on diesels before and have had great results
W/M is certainly a great add-on for the diesels. I have 3 running it right now. I'd recommend buying a pump, tank, nozzles, solenoids, switches, etc. and roll your own. It costs less, works better and is more reliable in the long run, at least in my experience.

Last edited by Nadir Point; 02-04-2017 at 01:41 PM.
Old 02-05-2017, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Quote:
I think you are going to find that pretty much any vehicle with an internal combustion engine has crankcase fumes routed to the intake manifold. (I stand ready to be educated about that, but since the 1967 addition of this feature was credited with taking care of about 80% of pollution from such engines, I doubt it would be ended easily.)

But yes, BMW's diesels have those fumes routed to the intake. And yes, the combination of oil vapors and soot can result if the formation of concrete-like carbon deposits.
formerly '69 BMW 2002 and '67 BMW 2000CS

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners & Enthusiasts
Today's Posts Search