Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > The Best of Bimmerfest! > BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts

BMW Diesel Owners / Enthusiasts
Do you own a diesel powered BMW? Maybe a 335d or a BMW x35d? Come and talk about what makes your car great!

Old 07-12-2011, 10:20 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW 335d
Car is at the dealer for the squeal - hopefully will get fixed. I had to wait three weeks for the parts to come in. They gave me a 535i for a loaner - NICE
Torque - I know the highs and lows.
Old 07-13-2011, 06:30 AM
Pedant and Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by taibanl View Post
I dont know details but its something tech's do when they are stumped.
Good one!

It's actually what they do when they've followed all the directions for "cheap fixes" and it didn't solve the problem, and they have to get BMWNA's central warranty department to pay for the "real" fix (that they should have done 1st, but weren't allowed to do by the bean counters.)

You know - it's like what the medical insurance companies do with our healthcare.

Last edited by floydarogers; 07-13-2011 at 06:33 AM.
Old 07-13-2011, 08:59 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d & 2014 535i
Hey all,

I 'll give you all an update shortly. This is mainly happening to MY 2011 + .
Old 07-13-2011, 09:48 PM

OK - here's the latest on my D. I received a call from my SA this afternoon. BMW engineering has gotten invoolved because apparently they are seeing a good number of squealing cars in the hotter climates. BMW engineering is taking a methodical approach (which means slow) to try and figure out why and how to solve the problem. Slow is OK as I have a very nice 535i loaner. If it were a 328, I would not be happy.

Anyway, they added one ounce of compressor oil today, but no go - still squeals. Tomorrow, they will change belts and even try non-oem belts. I think I heard my SA say that they had seen ac compressors seize as well. They are being asked to take lots of pressure and temperature readings on the refrigerant. The SA said that their service manager can make my car squeal at will (sounds like a sexual thing to me - LOL).

In any case, I don't know when I will get my car back. At this point, I would guess Friday or Monday.

I will keep all posted.
Old 07-14-2011, 05:33 AM

Mein Auto: F30 335i

This is what I'm hearing in the hot weather. High frequency noise is present on the video first 20seconds than quiets down for about 10 seconds and comes back. Video taken with the phone and I moved around too much.
Not sure if that is what you guys hear but that is what I was able to capture.
Update:

I think both recording are related.
First shows consistent noise which is always there, fallows compressor cycle. Second shows what other noticed whenever temps are high (last week in 80,90,100s), every-time after car seats for few hours shortly after start-up.
Pretty embarrassing when I leave house at 6am or work parking lot.

2013 335i F30

B45, LCSW, ZMM, ZDH, ZPP, ZTP, 337, 2TV, 428, 494, 688, 6AA, 6AB, 6VA
2010 335d E90 - Gone
300, LCAD, ZPP, ZSP, 2XA, 302, 465, 494, 4B9, 609, 655, 677, 6FL, 6NF
Flickr

Last edited by tlak77; 07-20-2011 at 01:58 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlak77 View Post
This is what I'm hearing in the hot weather. High frequency noise is present on the video first 20seconds than quiets down for about 10 seconds and comes back. Video taken with the phone and I moved around too much.
That's NOTHING like the belt squeal I've heard a few times. You could have recorded the squeal from the other end of the block and still have heard it loud and clear!

Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 07-14-2011, 08:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35d
Quote:

Post #45 is a video of my sound.

Retired 2011 335d AW, M Sport, Premium and Convenience pkg, Heated Seats, Nav, HK, iPod/USB, smart phone. ED 8/31/10

Retired 2008 335i Coupe 6-speed Manual, Montego Blue, Sport, Premium, CW, Nav, PDC, AS, Shade, HD, Sat, Ipod/USB, Logic 7, CA
PCD 11/07

Retired 2004 545i Sapphire Black/Black 6-speed Manual, Sport.
Old 07-14-2011, 01:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 x3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ335D View Post
OK - here's the latest on my D. I received a call from my SA this afternoon. BMW engineering has gotten invoolved because apparently they are seeing a good number of squealing cars in the hotter climates. BMW engineering is taking a methodical approach (which means slow) to try and figure out why and how to solve the problem. Slow is OK as I have a very nice 535i loaner. If it were a 328, I would not be happy.

Anyway, they added one ounce of compressor oil today, but no go - still squeals. Tomorrow, they will change belts and even try non-oem belts. I think I heard my SA say that they had seen ac compressors seize as well. They are being asked to take lots of pressure and temperature readings on the refrigerant. The SA said that their service manager can make my car squeal at will (sounds like a sexual thing to me - LOL).

In any case, I don't know when I will get my car back. At this point, I would guess Friday or Monday.

I will keep all posted.
Hey AZ335D...
What dealer are you using???
I have had Chapman Scottsdale look at my 2011 335d and the problem has reoccurred.
Thanks for the info.
RISKYBZ
Old 07-14-2011, 08:53 PM

My car is at North Scottsdale BMW. Eric is my SA and he is keeping pretty close track of what is going on with the car.

They replaced the belt with an aftermarket belt (per BMW engineering instructions), and it seems to have done the trick. I believe they specifically used a Goodyear belt.

They are driving the car to put 80 - 90 miles on it to check and see if the squeal comes back. I should get it back tomorrow. However, in the mean time, I am enjoying the 535i loaner car.

Last edited by AZ335D; 07-14-2011 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:00 PM

Quote:

That doesn't sound anything like the squeal my car was making. Mine sounded like a typical loose belt squeal. You could hear it from a long way away.

The sound I heard on this video almost sounds like supercharger whine, or if I didn't know better, like square cut gear teeth.
Old 07-15-2011, 08:01 PM
hang up and drive!

I would agree, my squeal did not sound like this. Sounded like the typical fan belt squeal.

Man, if my car really sounded like yours I'm not sure I would have bought a diesel! Sounds like a freaking diesel train to me.

I'll break my D out of the garage tomorrow, nice and hot and humid here in South Florida, perfect weather for making my car squeal at will!

If I can record the noise I will.

2010 Black 335D Sport/Premium, Michelin PSS 235/265
2000 Silver Z3 3.0i (Ret)
1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
1968 Black 1600 Coupe (Ret)
Old 07-15-2011, 10:06 PM

Here is the truth about loud squealing noise.

As promised earlier I'll post my experience with this issue. Please accept my apology as I'm unable to post the story sooner due to just arriving back home from aboard recently.

I first realize the loud squealing noise back in March around the same time my 335d is due for first schedule maintenance. This sounds just like what BMW Power & taibanl have posted. When this occurred, everyone in the parking lot would hear it. It has such a high pitch which is extremely embarrassing at times.

In order for a SA to agree to fix it, you will need to duplicate the problem. Below is the procedure for me to duplicate the problem:

#1) Vehicle has to be cool down;

#2) Start the engine with AC off, then turn on the AC after a few seconds;

#3) The weird, strange & high pitch noise will occur only during the start up, idle or low speed cruising & with AC on. You will never hear it on highway; &

#4) The noise appears to be from either AC unit, tensioner pulley or belt.

The attached invoice dated March 19th shows that AC belt was replaced. This cures the noise issue. According to my SA, the AC belt was being eaten up. He had no explanation why this is happening but he did mention that this is the 1st case relating to AC belt being eaten up for MY 2011. He even mentioned he had never seen anything like this before.

On April 25th, I've to contact BMW service center (see attached diagnostic) again to let them know this issue is resurfacing. They decided to keep the vehicle overnight this time to further observe the problem because the new belt is eaten up again. They must had felt bad for me as they gave me a F10 535i as a loaner. Consequently, they determine the whole AC compressor unit & the belt need to be replaced. The main problem at this stage is getting the part. Since my 2011 335d is the first of its kind to ever experience this issue, my SA has to order the part from Munich plant and there is not a single unit available in the whole country. They also let me know this is a new compressor unit which has a new part number & it is incompatible with the prior model year.

On May 24 th, I bring in the car for the AC compressor unit replacement. I end up having loaner car for 1/2 a day & the service center has to pospone the replacement due to a faulty unit being sent directing from Munich plant. I ask if he can show & explain to me why the unit is faulty which he did. ( Attached invoice showed the part is damaged & another unit is reordered) Apparently, the new AC compressor unit has a pulley that is bended at an slight angle which is just like the one I am having problem with. SA told me that new unit will eat up the AC belt and causes high pitch loud squealing noise. At this point, I'm speculating if some of this AC compressor units that Munich assembly plant currently using might be defective. Anyhow, he promised me to priority my case & have Munich re-sent another unit ASAP.

The main thing about this issue is unlike HPFP which will not affect diesel engine at all. SA also say he had never seen anything like this on 335 prior to my case. It might have to do with the new unit BMW is using on MY 2011+ . At this point, I have to leave the country for both personal & business trips. I didn't get an opportunity until July 6th to bring the car in to get the AC compressor replaced. The whole repair takes a few hours but they still go ahead and issue the loaner for me. (The final invoice dated on July 6th will show you a lot more detail about what are replaced and so on.)

Overall, I'm extremely satisfy with the way BMW service center deal with the issue. However, I wish that BMW NA will allocate more parts and store them at a centrally located facility so that it won't take long for others to order the same part.

I sincerely hope this will help some of you here that are experiencing the same issue.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	belt-03192011.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	131.7 KB
ID:	285296   Click image for larger version

Name:	belt-04252011.jpg
Views:	98
Size:	106.1 KB
ID:	285297   Click image for larger version

Name:	belt-05242011.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	285298   Click image for larger version

Name:	belt-07062011.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	259.8 KB
ID:	285299  

Last edited by bayoucity; 07-15-2011 at 10:25 PM.
Old 07-16-2011, 03:22 AM

Mein Auto: 335d, WRX, 325is, Eurovan
Regarding any speculation on model year changes as it relates to the "squeal", just FYI my MY 2010 with a production date of 2/10 also exhibits the squeal occasionally. I have not yet brought it in to be looked at.

Graham

2012 328xiT
M-Sport/Manual/iDrive-free
Old 07-16-2011, 04:08 AM
hang up and drive!

Listening to what Houston describes, I can only imagine that there could be an alignment issue between the pulley drive(s) and the belt.

There are "V" belts and serpentine belts. The "V" belt rides in the groove of the pulley wheels, while the serpentine has no "V" and the pulleys are flat not grooved, so any misalignment could cause the belt to want to run off of the pulley and/or wear abnormally.

I have no idea what type of belts we have on these cars.

In general Belts should last 50k miles. They wear and also age, so old belts need replacement even if they don't have the miles.

Loose belts are a very common cause for the squeal and this is easy to determine and correct. They squeal more frequently when it is high humidity and/or if they get wet. It can be very loud and will come and go as the compressor comes on/off and can go away after the belt warms up a bit. Worn pulley bearings, bad A/C compressors or P/S pumps will also cause the squeal, and require a bit more diagnosis.

Regardless this should all be covered under your maintenance agreement. So just take it in have them look at it.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 07-16-2011, 06:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Regarding any speculation on model year changes as it relates to the "squeal", just FYI my MY 2010 with a production date of 2/10 also exhibits the squeal occasionally. I have not yet brought it in to be looked at.

Graham
GB,
My production date is 6/10. Be sure to have your SA verify the part #.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:41 AM

I have my car back with no squeal (keeping fingers crossed). Apparently they replaced the belt with an aftermarket belt to get rid of the squeal. My SA did say that the aftermarket belt was somewhat tighter than the OEM belt. They also added one ounce of compressor oil but that did not eliminate the squeal.

Now if the car will just run for awhile with no SES light or belt squeal, I'll get to drive MY car and not a loaner car.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:53 AM

This is a summary of my experience with getting the squeal fixed.

1. Initially they thought that the pulley bearing was bad. They ordered the parts (it took about a month for the parts to come in).
2. I was notified of the parts arrival last week and made an appointment to bring my car in.
3. I was called on Wednesday, and was told that BMW engineering was involved and was directing the repair because there have been a number of complaints about the squeal. Apparently 6 diesels in Tucson, mine and one other at BMW of North Scottsdale were specifically mentioned. He also mentioned that their tregional technical service manager had indicated that some A/C compressors had failed.
4. When I spoke with my SA on Wednesday, he told me they were told to add 1 oz. of compressor oil, which they did, but the squeal did not go away.
5. They were then directed to try diffferent drive belts - my understanding is that they tried a new OEM belt and it did not solve the squeal, so they tried the Goodyear belt and it did stop the squealing.
6. I don't know if they replaced the pulley bearing or not.
Old 07-16-2011, 09:10 AM

I was recently told by a RT that BMW has a fix for this. Apparently, this is something unique on the 335d upon startup with the A/C on. I have not experienced this noise problem.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:44 AM
hang up and drive!

OK folks. I actually opened up my hood and poked around. Damn that engine is packed in there!

We definitely have a serpentine fan belt. It is flat with grooves, but not a V-belt, as it has to make a number of bends and reverse bends around wheels and pulleys that I could not see very well.

I started up the engine with A/C on and did not get any sort of a squeal at all. Even when I revved the engine a bit. What I did notice is the sound of something like pebbles (cavitation perhaps?) coming from the A/C compressor. I tried with A/C on and off and definitely it is a noise coming from the A/C compressor, so it is not anything else.

I could not manage to even begin to determine if my belt was loose, just not enough room to get your hands in there.

I did record the sound and if I can figure out how to download it from my BB I will post that here.

I ran an errand and when I returned got out and listened again and it would seem the noise was less coming from the A/C compressor once it was up and running and hot, so could just be an initial start up issue.

If I ever hear that squel again I will be visiting my dealer pronto.

1999 Silver R1200C (Ret)
Old 07-17-2011, 11:04 AM

@ flyingman

I will not worry about it if it doesn't squeal like the video posted by BMW Power & taibanl.
Thrust me, everyone on your street will probably hear it when it is happening. My office's parking garage is about 300 ft x 250 ft and my staff can hear it when the faulty compressor was squealing back then.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ335D View Post
I have my car back with no squeal (keeping fingers crossed). Apparently they replaced the belt with an aftermarket belt to get rid of the squeal. My SA did say that the aftermarket belt was somewhat tighter than the OEM belt. They also added one ounce of compressor oil but that did not eliminate the squeal.

Now if the car will just run for awhile with no SES light or belt squeal, I'll get to drive MY car and not a loaner car.
@ az335d

You might want to perform a visual and sound check about a month from now. It is because my SES never light up throughout the whole incident. My SA just replaced the belt initially.

The returning of the loud squeal (2nd incident) triggers the replacement of compressor unit & new belt.
Old 07-17-2011, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bayoucity View Post
@ az335d

You might want to perform a visual and sound check about a month from now. It is because my SES never light up throughout the whole incident. My SA just replaced the belt initially.

The returning of the loud squeal (2nd incident) triggers the replacement of compressor unit & new belt.
Thanks, yes I am going to keep a close eye (ear) on it. My SES light never lit on these incidents either.

I drove the car up into the mountains this weekend (about 75 miles each way) - AC on and some sprints up to --- well lets just say I was moving quickly, and will drive back to Phoenix tomorrow. So far it is not making any squealing noises
Old 07-17-2011, 05:00 PM
Selling my soul to BMW!

Send a message via AIM to mt3ch
Mein Auto: 11 335d, 12 X5d, 13 EVO
Glad I found this thread!!! Ive been having the dreaded squeal for about 2 months now. Car lives in TX but was driven to South Florida and now its a recurring problem during cold start. I left the ar at Brahman of Palm Beach and they ordered some pulley that was on backorder. I had to return to Texas before the part arrived so now Im at the mercy of Classic BMW in Plano, TX. I guess Im going to have to drop the car off to be diagnosed, but I really dont want them changing all sorts of parts in a brand new $50k car. God help us once the d is outta warranty, jk.....I hope.

So if the Goodyear belt is the fix, Im ok with that. Anything to get that JBD on faster

And a little Burger Tuning for my diesels.
Old 07-20-2011, 09:05 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 335d
I've experienced the squeal several times also.

I am scheduled for 13K service next week at Momentum West in Houston. Hopefully my experience will as fruitful bayoucity's. I'll post an update afterwards.

335d - 7/22/10 ED
Old 07-20-2011, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisanguyen View Post
I've experienced the squeal several times also.

I am scheduled for 13K service next week at Momentum West in Houston. Hopefully my experience will as fruitful bayoucity's. I'll post an update afterwards.
Chris,

PM me if you want to know which advisor took care of my compressor & belt problem. Momentum West off I-10 between Highway 6 & Barker Cypress is my service center.

The key is to be able to duplicate the problem else they won't be willing to mess with it.