Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 04-26-2011, 08:25 PM

Mein Auto: BMW 750LI
Transmission Fail Safe! Help!

I Have a 2006 BMW 750li and it started going into transmission fail safe mode about a month ago. At first it only did it every once in a while. I would have to restart the car for it to go away. But now restarting the car does not work anymore. It is now stuck in that transmission fail safe mode and will not get out of first gear or gain any power. I have been to two seperated dealers and both say they are not sure why its not workn and suggest i get a new transmission. Which is the opposite of what i want to do!! The car only has 100 000 miles and i kno i must be another options besides gettin a new tranny. Ive tested the battery and alternator and both seems to be workn fine. As i have read that those items could be the problem. Now im lost. Any advice will help.

Thanks in advance
Ads by Google
Old 04-26-2011, 08:29 PM
02 745Li-Blk Saphire/Tan

Mein Auto: 02 745Li
These transmissions are not that great... may just really need a new one. Sorry but that's my 0.02

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer App

Borbet 128's
H&R Springs
Shadowline / Sport Trim
Dual Exhaust
ACS Lip and Spoiler
Fully Loaded
Old 04-26-2011, 08:37 PM
Tirona

Mein Auto: 750Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by msj0506 View Post
I Have a 2006 BMW 750li and it started going into transmission fail safe mode about a month ago. At first it only did it every once in a while. I would have to restart the car for it to go away. But now restarting the car does not work anymore. It is now stuck in that transmission fail safe mode and will not get out of first gear or gain any power. I have been to two seperated dealers and both say they are not sure why its not workn and suggest i get a new transmission. Which is the opposite of what i want to do!! The car only has 100 000 miles and i kno i must be another options besides gettin a new tranny. Ive tested the battery and alternator and both seems to be workn fine. As i have read that those items could be the problem. Now im lost. Any advice will help.

Thanks in advance
All you need to do is change yourr transmission oil and get a new tranny pan and seals. Your transmission is fine. Your oil level is low due to a bad seal. Had the same exact problem and all the dealers suggested to get a new tranny. After I changed the pan, seals and filled it up with oil everything was fine. Try not to use the car to much or let is get hot cuz your oil is low and you dont want to demage it any further. Take it to an indy shop and change the seals and fill it up. 200-300$ job. Let us know
Old 04-26-2011, 09:36 PM
Little Odessa

Mein Auto: bmw
Cracked Mechatronic Seal Adapter can give that error due to low pressure
Old 04-26-2011, 10:14 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: bmw 745LI
Quote:
Originally Posted by USALEXUSBMW750 View Post
Cracked Mechatronic Seal Adapter can give that error due to low pressure
yes,Mechatronic Seal Adapter can couse the problem + do what kontir says and your problem will go away. good luck
Old 04-26-2011, 10:44 PM

What about the integrated Module?

OK tks for the advice...Could it be the integrated supply module also? i read that too. Not sure what to do first... or whats really gonna fix the problem. Tryn to save as much money as possible...dealers in my area are charge 700 just to replace to seal and sleave and the transmission flush.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Could it be the integrated supply module also?
if your car starts with no problems,then no, not in your case, most likly mechatronic seal is foulty.
Take it to an indy shop or transmission shop.

Last edited by ikob; 04-26-2011 at 11:25 PM.
Old 04-26-2011, 11:19 PM

Mein Auto: bmw m3 series 01
Before you take that big step , its worth to check electrical coneccions , found my trany prob my 02 sensors wheir welded together cauzing fuzes to blow up and car going into safe mode hard shifting etc . The fuze under the hood wheir getting blown up solved the prob and no more trany prob , just worth to double check I was in the same boat as you couple weeks ago ...
Old 04-26-2011, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikob View Post
if your car starts with no problems,then no, not in your case, most likly mechatronic seal is foulty.
o ok..yea it starts with no problem. I did notice that at first it only did it when i was going into drive or reverse from the park position. I was checkn the voltage as i was tryn to figure out what caused it and the voltage dropped on my battery everytime i shift it into drive or reverse. But will slowly climb up as im guessing the alternator took over running the car. Is that normal? Also when i started the car it takes a while for the battery volts to return to the normal range of 14- 14.5. I was first thinkn that the alternator was taking too long to kick on and take over the running of the car but i got both the battery and alternator checked and they tested fine.

Also if it is the mechatronic seal how do i replace that or is that the same thing as the pan and seal that comes with the new transmission pan, seal and filter
Old 04-26-2011, 11:57 PM

Quote:
It is now stuck in that transmission fail safe mode and will not get out of first gear or gain any power.
as far i know it happens when mechatronic seal is foulty.
dont think u have the alternater or the battery issue...

Last edited by ikob; 04-27-2011 at 12:19 AM.
Old 04-27-2011, 12:18 AM

Quote:

Also if it is the mechatronic seal how do i replace that or is that the same thing as the pan and seal that comes with the new transmission pan, seal and filter
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...14&hg=24&fg=15

you will have to chage #1 and #2,transmission pan comes with filter.
Old 04-28-2011, 05:43 AM

Mein Auto: bmw m3 series 01
Does the car revers gear work? B cuz if it does theirs a lower possibility that your trany is bas , this cars are known for losing revers ,if you haven't then you still good , and I believe its not stuck in first gear its actually third gear that's why the car so heavy , don't forget to update on the forum ....
Old 04-28-2011, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: 745li
Its most likely the o-ring on the Mechatronic Sleeve, replace that O-ring. The O-ring is pretty much like any O-ring, overtime it begins to shrink and lets in oil into the electrical connector. My tranny was dropping into safe-mode here and there and when i changed the O-ring everything has been golden since.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:07 AM
Little Odessa

Mechatronic sleeve and seal adapter two different things, sleeve does have a o-ring that shrinks with time but then fluid will come out little by little, which cause the transmission goes to safe mode by the low lever and overheating, but Mechatronic Seal Adapter when gets bad then transmission goes to safe mode without any leaking or just a little bit but not dropping, usually they change both of them ether one gets bad
Old 04-28-2011, 08:13 AM

Quote:
Mechatronic sleeve and seal adapter two different things, sleeve does have a o-ring that shrinks with time but then fluid will come out little by little, which cause the transmission goes to safe mode by the low lever and overheating, but Mechatronic Seal Adapter when gets bad then transmission goes to safe mode without any leaking or just a little bit but not dropping, usually they change both of them ether one gets bad
hmmm i just learned something knew, whats the location of the SEAL ADAPTER. ill prolly tackle that on my next tranny change, i thought the Mechatronic sleeve and seal adapter was the same ol thing haha. Thanks learned something new for sure.
Old 04-28-2011, 08:17 AM

Where does #2 go??
Old 04-28-2011, 09:22 AM
Little Odessa

I think its on the top of mechatronic unit
Old 04-28-2011, 10:14 AM

Quote:
I think its on the top of mechatronic unit
in order to install mechatronic seal, mechatronic unit has to be removed by unscrewing #3 and #4 screws,(see link above) not easy job but it can be done.My sugesstion is to let all this indy or transmission shop handle.

Last edited by ikob; 05-01-2011 at 09:29 PM.
Old 04-28-2011, 10:27 AM

Car in the Shop

Quote:
Originally Posted by ikob View Post
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...14&hg=24&fg=15

you will have to chage #1 and #2,transmission pan comes with filter.
Tks alot for all ur help ....This is all good advice..surely saves me alot of headache.

Took the car to a transmission shop today..ill undate when i hear something back!
Old 04-28-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memoal23 View Post
Does the car revers gear work? B cuz if it does theirs a lower possibility that your trany is bas , this cars are known for losing revers ,if you haven't then you still good , and I believe its not stuck in first gear its actually third gear that's why the car so heavy , don't forget to update on the forum ....
yes it the reverse gear still works...tks for ur advice..i took it to the shop today..will update later.
Old 05-01-2011, 09:35 PM

Quote:
yes it the reverse gear still works...tks for ur advice..i took it to the shop today..will update later.

Please update the forume with the results.
Old 01-28-2013, 04:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Quote:
Hi, so what's the update? Did it fix your reverse issue? I have the same problem where once the engine gets hot I get Transmission Fail Safe mode where I cannot go Reverse or even Forward.

Please let me know if the recommendations above fixed the problem and how much did you pay at the repair shop?
Old 03-09-2013, 05:36 PM
BMW 745i

Send a message via Skype™ to Youngz22
Mein Auto: BMW 02 745i
Hey any update on your car I'm also having the same problem please reply back with answer
Old 03-09-2013, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
My car had this problem. I replaced the integrated supply module and even the power module. It wasn't until I replaced the alternator that I fixed it. The alternator tested fine but this was the issue.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:28 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 745i
Ooookay, so I replaced the adapter and sealing sleeve and the problem is GONE! Pretty easy job if your transmission fluid pan bolts don't strip (it was not the case with my car). Little bit tricky placing back the sealing sleeve/connector, unless I did it the wrong/hard way. But the bottom line those two parts fixed the issue. I could clearly see the adaptor was damaged, so I think that's the only part that needs replacement. Good Luck!