Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion of BMW's 4th generation E65/E66 7 Series flagship. The E65 generated much controversy, due to its radical styling and iDrive user difficulties. Nonetheless, the E65 broke records to become the best-selling 7-series iteration ever, especially after its 2005 facelift.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:40 AM

Mein Auto: 535xi
At times, it's Comfort Access

And other times it's just a regular door. Not a mission critical issue, but 3/4 of doors work most of the time with comfort access - no key, just pull slightly or nudge the handle to lock the doors and engage the alarm. The rear driver-side door seems to be on vacation.

Lately, it's been spotty, as in 75% of the time it will work as it should but the rest of the time, no response, no vehicle alarm engagement either. The remote lock/unlock works fine though, as does the soft-close door feature. I changed the remote battery to a fresh one, so it's not that. No errors showing anywhere. No doors flying open while driving either (phew).

So I'm thinking it could be a bad antenna or control module, but the whole intermittent nature of the problem begs the question is something else factoring into this? Bluetooth phone maybe? It doesn't seem to be location specific (garage versus parking lot or other cars around).
Old 10-14-2009, 09:47 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 06 750Li
i know I'm probably wrong when i say this but it worked for me...try putting your key in the starting slot next few times when you're driving...mine was acting up and i put it in and it fixed the problems.

probably a coincidence but worth a try loll

2006 BMW M5
SOLD: 2006 750Li Monaco Blue/Black|Sports Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Logic 7|Rear Entertainment|Night Vision|SAT/HD|Cold Weather|Luxury Seats|Rear Power Sunshades|35% Tint|22" Custom Wheels|H&R's|Alpina Trunk Spoiler| ACS Roof Spoiler| MTEC v3|
Old 10-14-2009, 11:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 Escalade, 2012 750Li
This same EXACT problem has been happening to me as well. and it's the rear driver's door that doesn't respond to the comfort access. and at times the driver's door doesn't open either. the key battery was good, and the key remote worked just fine. I Pretty much always have the Key in the FOB slot. I solved it by switching Keys. but still, if anybody has any suggestions, please post em. I'm still under CPO warranty, but I bet the Dealer will just say they couldn't replicate the problem.

thanks in advance for any further help.
Old 10-14-2009, 02:08 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 750Li
i had a similar issue with my 06 Li driver's side rear door. Finally the door wouldn't stay closed at all, they had to replace all of the latch system. I ended up having to tie the door shut!
Old 10-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
Quote:
Originally Posted by justmike View Post
i had a similar issue with my 06 Li driver's side rear door. Finally the door wouldn't stay closed at all, they had to replace all of the latch system. I ended up having to tie the door shut!
Fyi, for those not under warranty, this is a very easy thing to fix; there is a piece near the interior door handle that commonly breaks -- similar to the hood cable type of break. 15-minute fix at most.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...
Old 10-15-2009, 08:39 AM

Update

Driving a few times now with the current key fob in the ignition slot. This morning, had the same problem, comfort access lock and unlock on the rear driver side door didn't work. Yet it did work as normal using comfort access via the driver's door.

I'll switch to the second fobbie this weekend and see if there's a diff. I suspect Keif might have identified the solution there with the broken handle component. Hello CPO coverage.

Thx for all your responses, glad I'm not the only one seeing this issue.
Old 11-02-2009, 11:35 AM

In the shop now

She's at the dealer now. Of course when I was dropping it off and trying to re-create the issue to the SA, comfort access worked flawlessly... all ten times that I tried to show that it wasn't working!!!

It's like the car knows it's at the dealer. SA said they'd check for faults anyways.

Now I noticed something when I was there. Maybe you have too: I have a building access fob on the same keychain as my 7 key. It's a proximity-based fob, ergo, it's RFID and thus transmits/receives RF signals from the access panel at the building door. It's not battery powered as far as I can tell, so it's a matter of inches in terms of the operating bubble. When I was at the dealer, I had the 7 key separated from the fob/rest of my key chains. Could it be?

Anyone know if there's any cases of interference here with comfort access outside the vehicle (engine start/stop in the vehicle works, no prob)? It's always been an intermittent issue - never a continuous hard stop malfunction. There's no operating frequency on the building fob, so I'm speculating here. I've got wifi at my house, but it's nowhere near the car, and is in the 2.4ghz band. Cordless phone is in the 5.8ghz realm too. Hmmm.
Old 11-02-2009, 04:39 PM

Had the same issue with the same door. Required a whole new door handle assembly under warranty.
Old 11-02-2009, 05:17 PM

Mein Auto: 330d & 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by reescher View Post
She's at the dealer now. Of course when I was dropping it off and trying to re-create the issue to the SA, comfort access worked flawlessly... all ten times that I tried to show that it wasn't working!!!

It's like the car knows it's at the dealer. SA said they'd check for faults anyways.

Now I noticed something when I was there. Maybe you have too: I have a building access fob on the same keychain as my 7 key. It's a proximity-based fob, ergo, it's RFID and thus transmits/receives RF signals from the access panel at the building door. It's not battery powered as far as I can tell, so it's a matter of inches in terms of the operating bubble. When I was at the dealer, I had the 7 key separated from the fob/rest of my key chains. Could it be?

Anyone know if there's any cases of interference here with comfort access outside the vehicle (engine start/stop in the vehicle works, no prob)? It's always been an intermittent issue - never a continuous hard stop malfunction. There's no operating frequency on the building fob, so I'm speculating here. I've got wifi at my house, but it's nowhere near the car, and is in the 2.4ghz band. Cordless phone is in the 5.8ghz realm too. Hmmm
Just started happening to me whenever new neighbours park next to mine with their new RR or RS6 - only if they've gone before me in the morning, so I suspect it has something to do with the remotes on the RR/RS6 messing with the CA. OK 100% of the time otherwise. No real biggie, just a touch annoying...
Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
G Trues

Mein Auto: 2007 BMW 750Li
over the weekend my drivers side door was popping open sometimes and now the comfort won't work on the door..don't know what the prob is.

Old 11-02-2009, 05:54 PM
It's all about me!

Mein Auto: 2012 750LI, 01-330Ci
Quote:

Anyone know if there's any cases of interference here with comfort access outside the vehicle (engine start/stop in the vehicle works, no prob)? It's always been an intermittent issue - never a continuous hard stop malfunction. There's no operating frequency on the building fob, so I'm speculating here. I've got wifi at my house, but it's nowhere near the car, and is in the 2.4ghz band. Cordless phone is in the 5.8ghz realm too. Hmmm.

Hmmmm....I'll bet your on to something. Seems logical that there could be some type of interference.

2012 750LI Mineral White
2012 X3 Alpine White
2007 750LI Barbera Red
2001 330Cic Orient Blue
2000 328i Jet Black(Sold)
2004 X3 Mystic Blue
Old 11-02-2009, 07:01 PM

Software update for now

Got a call from the SA early this evening. There is a fault showing with comfort access. He said they were going to perform a software update on it first to see if that resolves the issue. Said it was between the comfort access antenna and the car. Next step would be to replace the antenna or other hardware involved.

Had the SRS/tensioner alert pop up in the last week or so too, and he mentioned that was going to be a software upgrade too. Just one of those weeks I guess.

I've got a 335 sedan loaner, which is quite the corner carver compared to the 7. It doesn't seem to grip as well as the 7 with ARS at the max, but the acceleration is very nimble and pleasantly torquey with the turbo. And I can't tell you how much tighter the tranny feels on it. More reassuring shifts.
Old 11-02-2009, 07:27 PM

Mein Auto: Kubota on 48's
Quote:
Originally Posted by gman750 View Post
over the weekend my drivers side door was popping open sometimes and now the comfort won't work on the door..don't know what the prob is.
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...ight=door+open

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 11-03-2009, 12:51 PM

Sure, this thread pops up, I post that I had the problem with the driver's rear door before, and today the driver's door CA fails. Son of a beotch. I love this car, I hate this car. At least it's covered under the CPO warranty, goes in next week.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:20 AM

I hear ya. When it's running it's really running well. Otherwise, the seat in the BMW Service waiting room is beginning to perfectly mold to my arse.
Old 11-05-2009, 05:35 AM
G Trues

headed to get this problem fixed ASAP

Old 11-05-2009, 10:27 AM

So the car is back. The CA parts are on order from Deutschland. Covered on the CPO warranty. SA said there was a voltage fault as a result of the problems and was impacting the SRS system, hence the popup alert on that component. Lovely how that's all connected in such a manner.

I've had a grounding strap problem before, wondering if that's playing into the vehicle randomly shutting done other systems now. (When the strap went or broke, the transmission crapped out and I got the "reduced or limited engine power" and "only forward gears (sic) are available".

Meanwhile, CA worked today but not yesterday. Go figure.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:26 PM

Mein Auto: 11 X3 xDrive35i (F25)
Quote:
So the car is back. The CA parts are on order from Deutschland. Covered on the CPO warranty.
Glad to see this covered by CPO as my normal warranty runs out in 300 mles.
Old 11-05-2009, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigeon View Post
Sure, this thread pops up, I post that I had the problem with the driver's rear door before, and today the driver's door CA fails. Son of a beotch. I love this car, I hate this car. At least it's covered under the CPO warranty, goes in next week.
cpo extended covers comfort access? SURE??? 100% certain??? i asked my SA and he said NO...wtf

2006 BMW M5
SOLD: 2006 750Li Monaco Blue/Black|Sports Package|Convenience Package|Comfort Access|Logic 7|Rear Entertainment|Night Vision|SAT/HD|Cold Weather|Luxury Seats|Rear Power Sunshades|35% Tint|22" Custom Wheels|H&R's|Alpina Trunk Spoiler| ACS Roof Spoiler| MTEC v3|
Old 11-05-2009, 02:19 PM
G Trues

I wish all service advisers would link a problem DEEP into the cpu system to detect it...creating it as a CPO covered problem instead of "door handle" out your pockets problem..that would be sweet

Old 11-05-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robohopar View Post
cpo extended covers comfort access? SURE??? 100% certain??? i asked my SA and he said NO...wtf
for all of you with CPO cars, you can see exactly what is/isn't covered right here.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Conte...y/Covered.aspx

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 11-05-2009, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: 2006 750 Li
Checked the BMW site for warranty info

I noticed the special offers tab. Now I have to wait till morning to see why I was not offered the 0.9% financing. I bought within the window, but BMW USA could not tell me if my dealer is participting in this program, I have to ask them.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:29 PM

I asked my SA three times if it was covered, he said it was, just the $50 deductible is all I will be incurring on this one. They did check the modules overnight to see if this issue was stemming from that.
Old 11-07-2009, 10:05 AM

Quote:
I asked my SA three times if it was covered, he said it was, just the $50 deductible is all I will be incurring on this one. They did check the modules overnight to see if this issue was stemming from that.
you have to pay a $50 deductible for CPO????? thats garbage

E66 SAPPHIRE BLACK
Old 12-08-2009, 08:00 AM

It's sorta Comfort Access

Well, three door handles and antennas later, I'm still having the same problem. It worked for a day or so and then back to "only works when it wanna".

Going in again this weekend for another looksee. The write-up on the first ticket had lots of references to faults, over-voltages and having to recharge the battery a few times. Me thinks this is a major electrical issue here.

A few months back the grounding strap(s) had to be replaced and I'm wondering more and more about this car's integrity in light of these ongoing electrical issues. Only has 62k on it and was looking forward to replacing the "consumable" suspension components next year in hopes it would be working perfectly at that point. But alas, foiled again. Fingers crossed.

I still have faith, in the car and the SA. When the car is running well, damn it runs great. But fickle things like this keep me suspicious.

See More Related BMW Stories

Tags
alarm, comfort access, remote

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Today's Posts Search