Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 02-24-2004, 02:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW
Autoweek comments on BMW Prod. Launches

http://autoweek.com/cat_content.mv?p..._code=06320767
Old 02-25-2004, 12:25 PM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Good article

I dont see the X3 or the new 6 being a cannibalization issue. Maybe the X3 would impact the 3 touring. But the Touring isn't that big of a seller anyway.

I love their defense for the January's sales drop for the new 5...cold and snow.
Hmmm. It wasnt cold or snowing in FL or in Cali. And the cold and snow didn't seem to impact X5 sales

Photobucket
Old 02-25-2004, 09:23 PM

Mein Auto: 2003 OB 330i
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
Good article

I dont see the X3 or the new 6 being a cannibalization issue. Maybe the X3 would impact the 3 touring. But the Touring isn't that big of a seller anyway.

I love their defense for the January's sales drop for the new 5...cold and snow.
Hmmm. It wasnt cold or snowing in FL or in Cali. And the cold and snow didn't seem to impact X5 sales
OTOH, CA and FL do not make the whole of the U.S. market, but looking at sales between years 1, 2, and 3, etc., then your point would be valid. Can the dip in sales really be attributed to the weather?
Old 02-26-2004, 06:06 AM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
I work at one of the largest dealers in the country, and the reason we didn't se;; any 5 Series in January was because we didn't have any to sell. They have only been sitting on the lot for an average of 2-3 days (if they haven't been pre-sold). IMO, the reason the X3 buyers are going to the X5, is because there is not a big enough separation on lease prices.
Old 02-26-2004, 06:52 AM
Do the interns get Glocks

Send a message via AIM to LmtdSlip
Mein Auto: 325iC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick330i
OTOH, CA and FL do not make the whole of the U.S. market, but looking at sales between years 1, 2, and 3, etc., then your point would be valid. Can the dip in sales really be attributed to the weather?
No they dont but they probably make up the majority of unit sales.

I don't have any hard facts but I would guess that Cali, NY/NJ, FL and TX in that order probaly make up the large majority of unit sales. And of those, only in NY/NJ was weather a factor.

Photobucket
Old 02-26-2004, 06:59 AM
meroglot

Send a message via AIM to 'Cane
Mein Auto: ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LmtdSlip
No they dont but they probably make up the majority of unit sales.

I don't have any hard facts but I would guess that Cali, NY/NJ, FL and TX in that order probaly make up the large majority of unit sales. And of those, only in NY/NJ was weather a factor.

I think FL is #1. 4 of the top 6 largest dealers are here.
Old 02-26-2004, 07:33 AM

Mein Auto: '05 330Ci ZHP
People that don't like the new styling will continue to twist anything to show these cars are not selling, or believe "stats" that are not true, or simply make things up.

Yesterday I had to post actual sales numbers to refute someone's comment that Z4 sales slipped last spring/summer. Today, we have someone from a dealership basically saying they don't get enough 5's from the factory to meet demand. The dealer here cannot keep Z4's or 5's on the lot more than a few days. Did this article look into the actual supply numbers to the dealerships? Did they investigate whether or not 5's are just sitting on the sales lot for long periods of time?

And how do they reconcile this???? "U.S. sales of the 5 Series dipped 4.8 percent in January to 2,675 units compared with the same month last year. The 5 Series was up 14.2 percent in December and 34.6 percent in November." They are worried about a "dip" in January when there was an increase the prior two months???

Last edited by Jayhox; 02-26-2004 at 07:37 AM.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:49 AM

Mein Auto: '04 330i
I would think the $11,000 discounts on 7 series and $6000 discounts on Z4s (advertised at the local BMW dealer website) - would indicate poor sales of those two cars.

Also, even though the 5 series is ugly - if it's still more attractive overall than the competition, it'll sell. After all, it's not competing against the E39 or other good looking BMWs, just against its class competition.
Old 02-26-2004, 11:11 AM
...worked on the railroad

Mein Auto: 2003 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhox
People that don't like the new styling will continue to twist anything to show these cars are not selling, or believe "stats" that are not true, or simply make things up.

Yesterday I had to post actual sales numbers to refute someone's comment that Z4 sales slipped last spring/summer. Today, we have someone from a dealership basically saying they don't get enough 5's from the factory to meet demand. The dealer here cannot keep Z4's or 5's on the lot more than a few days. Did this article look into the actual supply numbers to the dealerships? Did they investigate whether or not 5's are just sitting on the sales lot for long periods of time?

And how do they reconcile this???? "U.S. sales of the 5 Series dipped 4.8 percent in January to 2,675 units compared with the same month last year. The 5 Series was up 14.2 percent in December and 34.6 percent in November." They are worried about a "dip" in January when there was an increase the prior two months???

Jayhox,

I bought my 325i from the largest dealer in the US (Crevier BMW, Santa Ana, CA). The last time I was there, for Inspection I, I asked why I never saw any 5-Series on the showroom floor (there was 1 Alpina, several 7-Series, an X3, and a Z4 or two). The answer I got was - "we never have any 5's available; they're all pre-sold when they get here"

Now, I visited a BMW dealer closer to where I live (BMW of Riverside), and there were a couple of 5-Series and an X3 (there were other 5-Series outside, by the entrance). BMW of Riverside is a waaaay smaller outfit than Crevier, and yet they had several 5-Series.

Interesting.
Old 02-26-2004, 08:22 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 328d M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by car_for_mom
Jayhox,

I bought my 325i from the largest dealer in the US (Crevier BMW, Santa Ana, CA). The last time I was there, for Inspection I, I asked why I never saw any 5-Series on the showroom floor (there was 1 Alpina, several 7-Series, an X3, and a Z4 or two). The answer I got was - "we never have any 5's available; they're all pre-sold when they get here"

Now, I visited a BMW dealer closer to where I live (BMW of Riverside), and there were a couple of 5-Series and an X3 (there were other 5-Series outside, by the entrance). BMW of Riverside is a waaaay smaller outfit than Crevier, and yet they had several 5-Series.

Interesting.
A couple of thoughts on all the above: From Oct 2003 (or thereabout) when the new 5's were coming it it was rare to see any 5's at any of the dealers here in San Diego (and yup...I went to all of them), They basically had the standard 530 in Sport and non-sport.(demos)...and the rest were pre-sold. Last week at Brecht BMW in Encinitas (North SD County) They must have had a dozen 5-series unsold on the lot. Two were 545i's...one with a $15,000 market add for the SMG (say WHAT?) and the other 545i had no sport package. I think ONE of the remaining 10 525/530 models had Sport packs and none of them had Navigation. Now I know that Nav. was delayed in the early production and I was told by my salesman that BMW had a supply chain problem with the active steering system thus limiting the Sports Package. Bottom line from my perspective: people want the technology and they will wait for it......I just think that for the moment the 5's on the lots are under-configured and people ORDER these cars more than they drive one off the lot. But that will probably even out over time.

As for the X-3 having slow sales....again until very recently there wasn't much inventory on the lots. But the above article mentioned something very interesting about the interior dimensions of the X-3 vs X-5: The X3 has two cubic feet greater cargo space and 1.5 cubic feet less of overall interior space. I think I know where they found most of that extra cargo space: THEY TOOK IT FROM THE REAR PASSENGERS! I'm only 5-11 but I couldn't sit in that back seat for more than 30 minutes. And since this is a "go anywhere" vehicle and "going anywhere " usually involves perhaps a "long drive" to the ski slopes...I think this would be a very uncomfortable for more than 2 adults. Another point: go to the BMW website and build yourself an X3 and X5 both with 3.0 engines. You can really buy an X5 with fewer options for about the same price as a loaded up X3. However...I'm sure the X3 will catch on to some degree. It's a great move up car from the all-wheel drive Subaru!!

Mark/San Diego
545i Silver/Black/Sport/Nav/Logic/FDRS ED 4/30/04 (got the airline tix today..yippeeee!!)

Last edited by MarcusSDCA; 02-26-2004 at 08:29 PM.