Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-04-2011, 04:18 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: X3
Well said Mole.

There are some VERY opinionated people on here. These are some of the same people that have been very critical for years on this forum. These people think they are a complete expert and you should do things their way only and if you don't they call you out on it and keep pushing over and over. Reminds me of my arrogant and stuck up neighbors that think they are better than everyone else.

As someone above said, regardless of DHP or not, the X3 is still a better driving experience than anything in it's class. I agree that DHP is cool and changes the driving experience but for me I thought the non DHP was just fine and if I did buy it it would probably stay in normal mode most of the time (probably just like most DHP owners.) I am not saying that because I have regrets, I am saying it because it is true.

Enjoy your choice, that's what makes this country great. No one has to drive it but you.

Time for this thread to DIE.....
Old 05-04-2011, 05:06 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Here's an actual review of dhp!!!!!! :)

Hey all -
I'm going to officially review DHP now...and I actually know how to write a better review as a result of the thread going the way it did. I'm actually one of the few people who seems to have had the chance to significantly drive both DHP and non-DHP...and when I say significantly, I mean several test drives, one of those being about 30 minutes with each vechicle.

So that being said, I think the "responsible" thing for me to do is actually bring this back to it's original intent...which was a review of DHP!!!!! So I'll do that for everyone. And just as reference points for people...I'm not a lazy soccer dad who doesn't like driving...I have an STI and can assure you I know how to push a car through a turn. ...just sayin...

First though... EV I'm totally not attacking...seems that way but not..just that certain things rubbed the wrong way but I'm over it...and NO I'm not regretting anything...I completely made an educated decision not to get DHP and I'll explain why..and I still don't want it.

So first off: DHP vs non-DHP. Does it make a difference??? Yes...anyone who says otherwise is lying...HOWEVER...the degree to which it makes a difference is really what we need to focus on so that's what I'll do. There are 3 areas in which everyone will see changes...and I'll list them out in the order in which they are affected:
Throttle
Steering
Chassis (dampers)

First throttle: Immediately when you top the sport button the response changes...the throttle gets WAY more touchy, it holds gears longer, changes shift points and it just feels like the X3 had a cup of coffee. HOWEVER...and this is a BIG HOWEVER... you do NOT (and I say NOT) need DHP to get thsi affect...that's right...you DON'T!!! For those of us who buy the 35i and get the "sport activity package" (to use the right term and not offend anyone God forbid), with the SAP and the 35i you ALSO get the "sport transmission". Now folks this means a few things: 1) on the sports transmission (without DHP) you still get normal, sport ansd sport+...yes that's right...you get that for the transmission/throttle side of the world....totallly. So the affect I describe here with throttle response can be achieved without DHP. 2) by getting the sport tranny, you ALSO get manual mode..yes folks that's right again....manual mode. And no I'm not talking about "sport mode" where the car will still shift itself...there is a manual mode with this tranny and you have to shift...yes that's right you have to shift just like it was a stick shift...so everyone who is b*tching about no stick shift..***** the 35i with the sport tranny.

Steering: I'll admit that in "normal" or "non-DHP" mode, the steering is WAY different than "typical BMW" feel...it's electric...what do we want. If you shift this to "sport", you'll get some feel but not enough to make anyone here happy. Folks who don't care as much about "true BMW feel" will say it feels almost the same as normal mode, and folks who want big forearms will say it's weak still.... now if you drop it in sport+, you'll feel a difference for sure. Again, folks who don't care about big forearms will say "wow now that gives response etc..." "pureist folks however will still say it isn't want they want. It is absolutely a compromise with this car...it's electronic steering...even with sport+, folks who are used to the way a 3-series feels will think the X3 still falls short...now it's not bad, but still not the same. I had an '01 3-series coupe and I can say it doesn't come anywhere close to traditional 3 series feel. So based on that, I was like "humm...take it or leave it...leave it....for 1400 bucks...leave it." Again it's good...a very good compromise for the electronic factor, but still not what pureists will want.

Chassis (dampers) Ok...I'll make the statement here....to me, almost a non-factor. I was throwing the X3 around pretty good and I can tell you that non-dhp and "normal dhp" have a difference when driving hard... "normal DHP" is actually setup for a "comfort setting" whereas non-dhp has "normal" setting...yes there is a differenc when driving hard. If I had DHP I would actually be leaving it in sport mode to get the same feel as a non-dhp setup X3....that's really my take. However...sport mode DHP really doesn't change the chassis setup enough to make pureists happy and not enough to show a difference to folks who are not pureists. Ok...drop it into sport plus...yes there is a slight difference, but again, unless you are throwing this thing around HARD you will not see a big difference...just "tooling around" and normal city etc driving, the sport+ mode will just feel a little tighter and such...however nothing to make the pureist happy. The folks who are not pureists will say "hummm that's different", but again to take advantage of it you better be throwing it around. AS A NOTE...AN IMPT NOTE...anyone who loves the way the older X3 handles and expects that DHP will bridge that gap will be SURPREMELY disappointed...no way it does that. Even in sport+ mode the X3 will absolutely not handle or feel ANYTHING like the older X3..just not gonna happen at all...no how, no way, not even close. So to that point...EV you will be disappointed. Again to me sport+ is a compromise for folks like you who want a little more...but if you want it to feel like a 3-series or the older X3, just not gonna happen.

NOW FOR THE KICKER....if you really really really want the full affect of the X3 with sport+, you better (and almost have to) order the M-sport package. Now I didn't get to drive this...have to admit... however EVERYTHING I have read on DHP points to the fact that a non-M sport X3 in sport+ will behave DIFFERENTLY than an M Sport equiped X3 with DHP. There are some things that change with the M sport more than non-M sport that enables the higher end X3 to take advantage of sport+. (too much to post on this thread but finde the DHP "chart that is out there and you'll see)

So in summary..... for a pureist, you will never be happy even with DHP. If you really really really want an X3, the DHP is a MANDATORY thing for you and it will only serve as s compromise to get you part of the way to where you want to be...however it will NOT feel like a 3 series or the older X3...just not gonna happen. For the non-pureist, if you have the extra money, buy it...why not...it's there. However realize that for you, it will probably complicate your driving experience b/c you are going to sit there wondering "what do I want to push now". I think most people who get DHP and are a semi-pureist will leave it in sport mode...those who leave it in "normal" will actually be downgrading their driving experience from a non-dhp equipped X3. (seriously I believe that) Now for those of you who get the M-sport package...enjoy...however again it's not going to handle the same way the older X3 did.

Ok everyone...so SORRY for this long write up, but this is my official review!!!
Old 05-04-2011, 05:22 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Mole has done a great job of describing it. I just finished the running one team for BMWNA on the X3 difference tour thru the midwest. I'm a contract trainer and not a BMWNA employee. (now) I drove a DHP 2.8 and 3.5 4250 miles - from Pensacola to Kalamazoo Michigan and all points in between. His write up is spot on - DHP for me was the same in normal as a car without it - drove MANY DEALER CARS that were non DHP...all our corporate cars had DHP. The "normals" are the same. Steering tightens a bit in sport and sport+. But the M sport changes it again.

When I got home I bought my wife the X3 you see here ,I liked it so much. I got it without the DHP - the only thing I would like the DHP for is the steering - being electric, it certainly is smooth but eliminates some "feel". But as her daily driver, she did not need it. Her 328 Coupe with sport suspension we traded out is the car to rip around in, the X3 is still an SAV.

I'm about done here, too many for me that just want to argue when they have no basis in fact or experience with the things they joust about - take care!

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-04-2011 at 05:55 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 06:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
Mole has done a great job of describing it. I just finished the running one team for BMWNA on the X3 difference tour thru the midwest. I'm a contract trainer and not a BMWNA employee. (now) I drove a DHP 2.8 and 3.5 4250 miles - from Pensacola to Kalamazoo Michigan and all points in between. His write up is spot on - DHP for me was the same in normal as a car without it - drove MANY DEALER CARS that were non DHP...all our corporate cars had DHP. The "normals" are the same. Steering tightens a bit in sport and sport+. But the M sport changes it again.

When I got home I bought my wife the X3 you see here ,I liked it so much. I got it without the DHP - the only thing I would like the DHP for is the steering - being electric, it certainly is smooth but eliminates some "feel". But as her daily driver, she did not need it. Her 328 Coupe with sport suspension we traded out is the car to rip around in, the X3 is still an SAV.

I'm about done here, too many for me that just want to argue when they have no basis in fact or experience with the things they joust about - take care!
Just like Glen, I drove with and without and the only thing I felt I really wanted was the steering.

Great write up Mole. One point though. I do believe the 28i and the 35i w/o SP tranny has the sport mode as well. While not having paddle sifters you can use the joy stick to accomplish the same thing. Putting it into sport mode by moving the joy stick to the left does the same thing as hitting the sport button. (As far as the tranny goes)

-CR
Old 05-04-2011, 06:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cer2225 View Post
Great write up Mole. One point though. I do believe the 28i and the 35i w/o SP tranny has the sport mode as well. While not having paddle sifters you can use the joy stick to accomplish the same thing. Putting it into sport mode by moving the joy stick to the left does the same thing as hitting the sport button. (As far as the tranny goes)

-CR
Hey cer...thanks.. I'm trying to keep this this thread to factual things now and not opinions...we'll see.

As far as the tranny goes, I should have been more specific but it was a long post and I didn't get into more detail. You are right... the 28 does give you the ability to shift like the 35i...all bimmers have that. However the setup on the 35 is definitely different from the tranny point of view... and here's why... on the 28i you just get the "normal setup" which yes includes the "push to the left and shfit thing", however the 35i has a "sport automatic transmission with shift paddles"....go to bmwusa and build a 35 and build a 28 and you'll see...it's definitely different. The below is taken directly from the bmwusa website when you build a 35 with sport package:

"Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles: includes adaptive transmission control with sport or manual shift modes and steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. When in sport mode, shifts can be generated via the console-mounted shift lever or paddle shifters"

Check it out...all the books I have on X3 and stuff I read list the 35 as 'sport automatic transmission"...and the 28 as (8 speed auto) Its the same tranny but I believe that 35 has electronics that change its behavior. I may be wrong, but I think "manual mode" is only on the 35...and when I say 'manual mode' I dont' mean the ability to shift... I mean it actually puts the car in manual mode as if it were an 8 speed stick vehicle...just without the clutch...meaning you actually have to drive around and shfit like you had a clutch...only its just with using the paddles or lever. I don't think the 28 has this...may be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Glen can you confirm?
Old 05-04-2011, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 535Xi, 2006 X3 (wife
Quote:
..... DHP for me was the same in normal as a car without it ..... The "normals" are the same. Steering tightens a bit in sport and sport+. But the M sport changes it again .....
Glen E,

Could you elaborate on what the M Sport does differently?

I've been trying to understand what each of DHP, Sport Activity Package, and M Sport options provide.

I thought the difference between M Sport and Sport Activity was cosmetics plus the different wheels, and you had to additionally order DHP with either of those to get dynamic damping.

Any light you can shed on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
Bruce
Old 05-04-2011, 07:56 AM
Retired

Two bullet points in the M Sport package say:

"Sports suspension tuning with stiffer dampers"

"M leather steering wheel and variable sports steering"

Have not driven this package yet.

RTOM.....
Old 05-04-2011, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
Hey cer...thanks.. I'm trying to keep this this thread to factual things now and not opinions...we'll see.

As far as the tranny goes, I should have been more specific but it was a long post and I didn't get into more detail. You are right... the 28 does give you the ability to shift like the 35i...all bimmers have that. However the setup on the 35 is definitely different from the tranny point of view... and here's why... on the 28i you just get the "normal setup" which yes includes the "push to the left and shfit thing", however the 35i has a "sport automatic transmission with shift paddles"....go to bmwusa and build a 35 and build a 28 and you'll see...it's definitely different. The below is taken directly from the bmwusa website when you build a 35 with sport package:

"Sport Automatic Transmission with Shift Paddles: includes adaptive transmission control with sport or manual shift modes and steering wheel mounted paddle shifters. When in sport mode, shifts can be generated via the console-mounted shift lever or paddle shifters"

Check it out...all the books I have on X3 and stuff I read list the 35 as 'sport automatic transmission"...and the 28 as (8 speed auto) Its the same tranny but I believe that 35 has electronics that change its behavior. I may be wrong, but I think "manual mode" is only on the 35...and when I say 'manual mode' I dont' mean the ability to shift... I mean it actually puts the car in manual mode as if it were an 8 speed stick vehicle...just without the clutch...meaning you actually have to drive around and shfit like you had a clutch...only its just with using the paddles or lever. I don't think the 28 has this...may be wrong but I'm pretty sure. Glen can you confirm?

Mole,

I can't be sure either. As far as the Adaptive transmission goes it is the same. That's the learning thing. If there is really anything different or not besides the paddle shifters I think it would be hard to tell. I am sure it is similar to the sport mode shifting on my current 08 X3 which is fun to play with on occasion but I rarely use it. Sometimes the marketing guys will add a few extra tidbits to their explanations to make you think you are getting something more. Bottom line, no one would ever notice the difference. Well, almost no one...
Old 05-04-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Two bullet points in the M Sport package say:

"Sports suspension tuning with stiffer dampers"

"M leather steering wheel and variable sports steering"

Have not driven this package yet.
Thank you. Where can I find the M Sport Package with this information? I've been looking on the BMW web site but have not seen this.

Bruce
Old 05-04-2011, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Mole,

I can't be sure either. As far as the Adaptive transmission goes it is the same. That's the learning thing. If there is really anything different or not besides the paddle shifters I think it would be hard to tell. I am sure it is similar to the sport mode shifting on my current 08 X3 which is fun to play with on occasion but I rarely use it. Sometimes the marketing guys will add a few extra tidbits to their explanations to make you think you are getting something more. Bottom line, no one would ever notice the difference. Well, almost no one...
When I saw the term sport automatic transmission on the BMW web site X3 page, I assumed it was what was offered on some of the LCI models of the E60 5 series and is offered on many of the F10 5 series cars. I don't have a SAT on my 5 series, but from what I've read here it offers faster shifting through different firmware, independent of paddles and independent of the adaptive feature. People who have the SAT post that it is faster shifting when set to the SAT mode.

I would be curious to know if the SAT offerred on the X3 35i offers faster shifting.

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by BruceOmega; 05-04-2011 at 08:32 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:33 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
Thank you. Where can I find the M Sport Package with this information? I've been looking on the BMW web site but have not seen this.

Bruce
make Google your friend - "X3 M sports package" yields this:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408530

RTOM.....
Old 05-04-2011, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceOmega View Post
When I saw the term sport automatic transmission on the BMW web site X3 page, I assumed it was what was offered on some of the LCI models of the E60 5 series and is offered on many of the F10 5 series cars. I don't have a SAT on my 5 series, but from what I've read here it offers faster shifting through different firmware, independent of paddles and independent of the adaptive feature. People who have the SAT post that it is faster shifting when set to the SAT mode.

I would be curious to know if the SAT offerred on the X3 35i offers faster shifting.

Thanks
Bruce
That's a good question. It may not offer faster shifting but it does change the shift points on both tranny models. There may be a reason that BMW does not give a lot of details and differences. Call me skeptical...

-CR
Old 05-04-2011, 09:14 AM

Mein Auto: M3 & X3
BMW has sown quite a bit confusion about what's in the DHP, SAP, and M packages. The best information is contained in the 4/1/2011 Package and Order Guide which can be found in PDF form at http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showth...=445900&page=2, just scroll down to the post by Beyu. In a nutshell, suspension control is via variable dampers which are contained only in the DHP. The M-sport package doesn't have any suspension modifications and in fact the first item on the list is '225 Sport Suspension delete'.

Hope this helps.

Marty
Old 05-04-2011, 01:38 PM

Quote:
make Google your friend - "X3 M sports package" yields this:

http://x3.xbimmers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=408530
Thank you. Yes, I should have used Google, mea culpa.

I'm wondering if that announcement was intended for a country other than the US.

This could imply a MT:

The M gear selection lever boasts particularly short throws. In the BMW xDrive35i with standard eight-speed automatic transmission Steptronic, the M leather steering wheel also features gearshift paddles.

I also noticed this non US spelling

With the M Sports package, the side skirts, wheel arches and front and rear aprons are in body colour for example,

Thanks
Bruce

Last edited by BruceOmega; 05-04-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:56 PM
Retired

good points - we did not have this package avil on the tour in feb/march...

RTOM.....
Old 05-04-2011, 02:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
It's kind of funny to see people worked up about this. If you didn't get DHP, it's no big deal. I didn't get the ZSP for my 5 either (winter delivery and didn't want to deal with run flat summer tires), but sportier shocks will compensate. I'm chiming to help perspective buyers, not to criticize.

BMWNA puts out pretty confusing information. Read the pricing sheets / specs carefully from the printed PDFs (not BMWNA website). ZMP only gets you performance control (torque vectoring) part of the DHP. You still have to pay $1,300 to get adjustable dampers and sport steering.

It's interesting that many people don't think twice about getting Navigation or other convenience options (even without reading enough real world reviews - see the case of Navigation maps for F10), but agonize over the DHP.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Mole,

LMAO...good one. You are most likely correct...and God knows that BMWs marketing material can be ...well.... insufficient! I didn't realize the "adaptive" think was the learning...but make sense. THe more I think about it, I'm guessing that "sport transmission" is the paddles and the marketing gurus have stretched the lengths of truth with this one. If the 28 has manual mode they are are definitely right b/c other than that I don't see it either.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
LMAO...good one. You are most likely correct...and God knows that BMWs marketing material can be ...well.... insufficient! I didn't realize the "adaptive" think was the learning...but make sense. THe more I think about it, I'm guessing that "sport transmission" is the paddles and the marketing gurus have stretched the lengths of truth with this one. If the 28 has manual mode they are are definitely right b/c other than that I don't see it either.
For sure the 28 has manual mode by tipping the joy stick to the left just like in my current 08. That leaves paddle shifters as the only difference between the two trannys as far as I can tell.

-CR
Old 05-05-2011, 05:54 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Well said Mole.

There are some VERY opinionated people on here. These are some of the same people that have been very critical for years on this forum. These people think they are a complete expert and you should do things their way only and if you don't they call you out on it and keep pushing over and over. Reminds me of my arrogant and stuck up neighbors that think they are better than everyone else.

As someone above said, regardless of DHP or not, the X3 is still a better driving experience than anything in it's class. I agree that DHP is cool and changes the driving experience but for me I thought the non DHP was just fine and if I did buy it it would probably stay in normal mode most of the time (probably just like most DHP owners.) I am not saying that because I have regrets, I am saying it because it is true.

Enjoy your choice, that's what makes this country great. No one has to drive it but you.

Time for this thread to DIE.....
If you want to call me out have the guts to do it instead of playing some innuendo game.

I don't think I am the complete expert, but after driving an X3 three times with different circumstances I really cant tell the difference between that and a Q5, except it is much faster.

Many agree that BMW's are quite sparse on interior. So given simple logic that X3 and Q5 have the same driving behavior, are priced differently (Q5 cheaper), and that the DHP affords better handling in turns and acceleration.Otherwise I would buy a Q5 and save some money. So for me since I like to drive aggressively it seems that the only way I would spend money on the new X3 is if the DHP actually makes a difference.

And while my comments are against BMW and not people, People like you seem to fan the flames that it is personal. Never could figure that attitude out.

In the meantime I am done with this thread as I have found out what I needed to know. a new x3 for me must have DHP.

Mole thanks for your info and the hutzpah to actually reply to me by name.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more

Last edited by Evlengr; 05-05-2011 at 05:56 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:35 AM

Evlengr,

I am not afraid to call you out by name but it is funny how you knew I was talking about you.

After reading your posts for the last few years, you most certainly are the self-proclaimed expert on this board and anyone that disagrees with you is wrong or should go buy another car.

Glad to see your done with this thread but I can't wait to start reading your next opinionated post.

ps. "Remember, It's ok to spend money, just not to waste it."

-CR
Old 05-05-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Evlengr,

I am not afraid to call you out by name but it is funny how you knew I was talking about you.

After reading your posts for the last few years, you most certainly are the self-proclaimed expert on this board and anyone that disagrees with you is wrong or should go buy another car.

Glad to see your done with this thread but I can't wait to start reading your next opinionated post.

ps. "Remember, It's ok to spend money, just not to waste it."

-CR

Yeah typical until confronted they have nothing to say and then like my neighbor has a lot to say from the safety of his porch.

:bawl ing:

And like I said it is my opinion that they drive the same and that now I know without dhp I wouldn't buy one.

BTW I am that same horrible person that started the DIY thread, the pay it forward thread (free give aways), and saved dozens of drivers/owners the hassle of having to deal with BMWNA with tranny issues by being so vocal make BMWNA come clean on taking care of the faulty GM6. Otherwise according to them it would be your driving style.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7

Last edited by Evlengr; 05-05-2011 at 07:44 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:10 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Come on guys, be nice. Evl has done a lot for the board over the years. His documentation of the terrible software (my opinion) problem with the GM6 A/T has helped many festers break through the spring loaded SA response of "they all do that" or "we have never seen that before". Not to mention the excellent audio advice on upgrading the sound system in the X3. We all have opinions, but there are many festers who provide valuable information and I consider Evl to be one of the best. So, thanks for the good inputs Evl!
Old 05-05-2011, 08:53 AM

UncleJ,

You are right. Lets play nice. I am willing to let it go. I am editing this last post here in hopes to end this so we can get back to the topic because that is what really is important.

DHP or No DHP, that is the question. I say lets start a poll.

Last edited by cer2225; 05-05-2011 at 09:21 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:26 AM

Quote:
UncleJ,

You are right. Lets play nice. I am willing to let it go. I am editing this last post here in hopes to end this so we can get back to the topic because that is what really is important.

DHP or No DHP, that is the question. I say lets start a poll.

Seems fair enough. I guess I am just frustrated with BMW making you pay extra for something that came with the vehicle before, and then not having the decency to have one to drive at any event I have been to.

I was looking forward to this version not only being faster but one step closer to a real "M" class BMW.

My apologies for letting this get out of hand.

Thanks UJ

However the thread did accomplish what it started to do. It made me even that more determined to find one so I can have a first hand experience on the advantage or disadvantage of spending/wasting the money on it.

Still have until next year to decide while I build my war chest for a large cash down payment. Already have $10k banked. It s either this or mods to my current MT 08.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
Old 05-05-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evlengr View Post

Seems fair enough. I guess I am just frustrated with BMW making you pay extra for something that came with the vehicle before, and then not having the decency to have one to drive at any event I have been to.

I was looking forward to this version not only being faster but one step closer to a real "M" class BMW.

My apologies for letting this get out of hand.

Thanks UJ

However the thread did accomplish what it started to do. It made me even that more determined to find one so I can have a first hand experience on the advantage or disadvantage of spending/wasting the money on it.

Still have until next year to decide while I build my war chest for a large cash down payment. Already have $10k banked. It s either this or mods to my current MT 08.
Absolutely let's hug!! It's in the past, and like I said before...it's actually threads like this that make forums great b/c it shows our passion...and honestly since I've joined I've read more stuf from EV and the info he's put out there has been awesome..especially the audio stuff b/c I was stressing over that for a while...and now I'm glad I didn't do the "premium upgrade" and I'll do aftermarket later. Anyway...let's get this back to what's most impt...and that's the X3. I hope that the long @ss review I put out there helped b/c honestly I really do think I got a good feel (no pun) for DHP vs non-DHP.

I think EV has a good point on the "feels like a Q5" think, but I'd say "almost...". I think the Q5 still feels a bit fat and is not as fluid as the X3...and I think the X3 feels a little quicker through the turns etc. HOWEVER...when I compare this X3 to the older X3, certainly this X3 has a ride that is less jarring to your spine, but yes the compromise is steering feel (a bit) and tightness in the suspension. (a bit) HOWEVER...that being said, it STILL handles and feels better than anything else out there, even without DHP...the Q5 is indeed close but to me it still feels fat. There were times on my Q5 ride where I was like "come on get around the turn" whereas with the X3 it just felt like it popped through turns more quickly. DHP from my experience does nothing for the throttle feel b/c you can get that with the sport mode on the tranny. Steering, yes I felt like it was a bit firmer in sport+...however I must say this... the Q5 actually has a better steering feel b/c it's VERY firm and makes you work..no doubt. Suspension: yes...however I'll say this...you better be driving like I think EV does in order to notice a difference....b/c if you are just going around normal every day driving with on ramps off ramps etc, it will not matter one bit...sorry I just didn't get enough feedback on the suspension in sport+ to make me think that for every day driving it's gonna matter. Again though...driving hard witha lead foot...I think it'll show up. When I put it in sport+ and I was pushing it, the main thing I noticed was that it "straightened up" just a tad quicker...however if I was not pushing it, it would have done the same. AND HERE'S THE MAIN THING...you better have those 19's with performance tires on, b/c to push it to where it matters, the all-seasons are the weak link....and will give way before anything else.

So: here's my final vote...and I'll caveat. IF you have everything you want in the package first, and then you don't care about another 1400, then yes. However don't skimp on what you want first even if its navi or a sunroof.

If money is no object, then yes obviously...why not.

If you are deciding based on your driving style I'd say this: If you drive like I think EV does and live in an area where soccer moms and old ladies and 1 million people (like in northern jersey) won't always get in your way, then yes. If you are like me and live in said northern jersey and drive very spirited sometimes and the rest not, I'd say no...skip DHP.

IF you are buying this thing to hopefully drive it like a sports sedan: yes get it
If you are buying this thing to have an awesome beautiful vehicle that can give you more thrill than anything else in it's class....but aren't buying it to drive it like a sports sedan: no skip it

And remember...you can always get the STI to beat the b@lls out of the pavement...I like doing that!!! I'll be happy to lend it for a test drive
And for the record...no matter how much BMW has deviated from the original feel of the X3, I'd never buy an Q5 over this car...the Q5 was very plush but it's just not a BMW!!!!

Last edited by mole7374; 05-05-2011 at 11:20 AM.