Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > M Series > E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

E60 M5 (2006 - 2010)

Old 01-06-2012, 09:37 AM

Mein Auto: 550i
06 M5 charge for "diagnostic time?"

2006 model M5 with 47K miles. Car has violent kick when shifting into gear. Sometimes, 1st gear cannot engage until car has started to roll a little.

I am told the "clutch" is not included in the CPO warranty, only the transmission. However, they say they are "40%" sure the problem is the clutch. The technician wants me to be charged a $600 fee for "diagnostic time" so he can take the transmission apart and evaluate the clutch.

I have never heard of anyone charging money to find out what is wrong with a car. Also, they will have to take the transmission apart anyway because it is obviously failing. Why would I pay them $600 to do something they will have to do even if part of the work is not covered by warranty?

Has anyone ever heard of this?
Ads by Google
Old 01-07-2012, 08:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
Hard to say !!! Do shift-settings have an effect on these violent shifts? Are you shifting manually? If so, at what RPM?
Some possibilities –
It could be a software problem … Any idea when was it last updated and which version?
It could be gear and/or clutch position sensor? They may have to reset your clutches after they replace the sensor/s .
Does the gear indicator blink when you/car up shifts and then comes the jerk? – Possible cause “Gear Synchronization” and/or CDV – Clutch Bi-Directional Valve.
Normally, diagnostic fee is included in total repair cost, if the repair done at the same facility.
Hope this helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodcat View Post
2006 model M5 with 47K miles. Car has violent kick when shifting into gear. Sometimes, 1st gear cannot engage until car has started to roll a little.

I am told the "clutch" is not included in the CPO warranty, only the transmission. However, they say they are "40%" sure the problem is the clutch. The technician wants me to be charged a $600 fee for "diagnostic time" so he can take the transmission apart and evaluate the clutch.

I have never heard of anyone charging money to find out what is wrong with a car. Also, they will have to take the transmission apart anyway because it is obviously failing. Why would I pay them $600 to do something they will have to do even if part of the work is not covered by warranty?

Has anyone ever heard of this?
Old 01-07-2012, 08:37 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2007 ///M5
On another note, it's a normal practice to charge diagnostic fee if it's not covered by CPO. How much is fair …. that's debatable. As an option, you may take it to a reputed Independent BMW Shop in your area for a diagnosis and then determine your future course.
Here's the list ….just in case.
http://www.bimmershops.com/bmwshops/california/
Old 03-17-2012, 01:36 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 M5
I just paid 2400 dollars for diagnostic time at BMW Fayetteville and the problem is a 3000 dollar one