Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 05-08-2011, 06:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: BMW X5
If i would not mid the spending extra bucks and wait (at the time when i bought my 2011 x5, cayenne was just about hit to the dealers) i would have definately bought an cayenne. There are people here drive 90K X5's.
I had a budget and I got a 60 K X5, equally configured cayenne was coming around 68 to 70K. I would choose cayenne for the looks and interior. rear end in both cars suck.

Performance, i thing cayenne has some decent engine out there.

I got the diesel X5 so no alternative for that in cayenne world unless you want to get the Hybrid which is for the price of an high end X5.

Bottom line, for me, if they have given cayenne for 60K and if it was available, It would have been my choice.

BTW i had a 2008 GL320CDI too, and i agree the post above "driving a ultra luxury Bus with Mercedes badge" Handling performance, By far BMW.

Cayenne VS X5 that is a very though question, I think cayenne would win.

Good luck with your search. and test drive them both.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: '05 M3--'11 X5 50i
[QUOTE=winterk;6030939] but the Porsche carries a stigma I didn't want

It can't be worst than a BMW = "asshole"?....
'08 535i-"never more HPFPs"-sold
'05 ///M3 'vert - my Valium
'11 X5 50i:blck/blck-all the goods, except the M package
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 PM
BMW 1st timer

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 35i
I owned a 2006 RRS HSE(non SC) and IMHO It was Fu*king AWESOME. Yes gas milage sucked but when you buy a 60k vehicle I wasn't really concerned about gas prices. I absolutely loved to start that truck up (i had a Borla cat back system put on so it sounded great) and drive it any chance I had. I used to wait till the worst weather would be going on just to drive in it. I had no reliability issues, a couple of Land Rover gremlins that we liked to call them but always cleared on re-start up. I had Pirelli ATR tires put on after the cross contacts went bald and the Rover was an animal on the beach and in the deep snow. It was like sitting in a cockpit, very comfortable on long drives, no body lean and had ample power. I will eventually own another one as I'm waiting on the re- design and it will be a SC. Now on the flip side the BMW X5 is also very fun to drive, comfortable and very very nice buts it's just not enough truck for me (that's why I bought it for the wife). Good luck.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:31 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5, Mercedes ML350
Regarding Cayenne vs X5, Cayenne sucks. Yes, for some people name Porsche means in sport more than BMW, but that is true when u talk about 911 or bolids and etc.. In Cayenne u have high seats, absolutely smooth and non-sportive ride, feeling like u are driving Lexus LX. It has no way to be compared with those feelings BMW rises.

By the way - for those who very often goes off-road with big families and etc.. LX Lexus is much better than GL, RR and etc.. But if u are mainly in the city and vey rare are off-road X5 is the best, because it rides as a sedan.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:46 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i & 2011 X5-3.5
I highly recommend the x5. I have had Jeeps and Lexus and there is no comparison. friends have MB, Porsche and Audi. Nice but not my choice. My wife's X5 is really a great car. 3.5 TT is good, but should have got the 4.4 TT.
2011 550i, Black Saphire, Black Nappa leather, Anthracite headliner, Convenience Pkg, Premium Pkg #2, Sport Pkg, Dynamic Handling Pkg, Sport Auto, Delivery on 6/24/10

2011 X5 xDrive 35i Sport Activity, Black Sapphire, Black Nappa, Convenience Pkg. M Sport Pkg, Technology Pkg. Comfort Access, Satellite Radio, Premium hi-fi system, Delivery on 5/26/10

Previous BMWs
2006 550i
2001 330cic
2003 745Li
2000 M5
2000 540i
Old 05-12-2011, 08:16 AM

Mein Auto: '13 X5 M
Quote:
Originally Posted by alistairg View Post
Honestly, on a BMW forum, you're always going to get answers biased towards the BMW, but...

I drove an X6 35 until last week, and it handled incredibly well. I also drive an '06 M3 and an '09 BMW sportbike, so handling and "driver focus" is very important to me.

RANGE ROVERS
I *love* the look of both the RR Sport and RR Full Size. I found the interior of the sport lacking in quality and finish, and I drove a full size and felt travel sick driving it. Also the technology of both (apart from the absolute latest RR Full Size) is lacking compared with BMW - and I like having buttons to push . Eliminated due to cabin quality, and lack of driving fun. Reliability is probably on a par with all - my X6 in two years and 14,000 miles had a new nav unit, new alternator, new fuel pump, replaced passenger seat, new battery

CAYENNE
I liked the old Cayenne S, even though it was really a fancy Touareg in many ways. However, the dealer service near me (Seattle) is truly dire, and that's a deal breaker when I'm spending 90k. The new one just looks a little too much like a Hyundai Santa Fe for my tastes now tho.

Q7
Just too "momsy" for me, both in driving and looks. Lots of buttons to push, and fit-and-finish is good.

ML/GL
I have a friend with an ML63AMG and I love it. However, running costs are criminal, and it still doesn't have the "something" that a BMW has when you drive it. Another friend just got rid of his GL, which was like driving a bus. If you like a Yukon Denali or Escalade you'll like the GL. If you don't have 43 kids and 6 dogs on every trip, it's a large barge and drives like it.

BMW
The X6 I had handled like nothing else I've driven for the size. I actually had more confidence throwing it around corners than I do my M3. Now that adaptive drive, oyster interior, and the twin turbo engines are on the X5 - I've ordered a V8 with all the toys. The X6 is incredible but is impractical even for me as a single guy. I can't go skiing with friends (either the friends or the skis stay behind), can't fit my road bike in the trunk, and can't have anyone over 5'10" in the back.

For me - the post-LCI X5 was the clear winner. Incredible handling, awesome power, decent fit and finish, great dealer service, lots of buttons, road presence, and practicality.

YMMV tho
+1 This is similar to my impressions as well having driven all of these in trim higher trim levels. The RRS sc was fun and looks great out of the gate, but friends have reported issues that I don't care to deal with, and the driving feel is significantly less connected that an X5 50i. The Cayenne S is the clear competitor to an X5 50i sport, but I couldn't get over the new Hyundai-like exterior. The single decent rim option on the new Cayennes is so overpriced too. A loaded X5 50i sport/adaptive is my recommendation after having it for nearly a year. So versatile and so much fun when called upoon.