Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Closed Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:11 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: was 530d, is X5d 2011
He's new to the forum, he does not know the rules of the forum, he does not know a few lords of the forum…. he will learn….

WTB: spare tire kit
Old 01-11-2012, 06:38 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Someone rang?
Old 01-11-2012, 07:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 X5 35i Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2012 View Post
I pickuped up my new 2012 BMW x5 two days ago. I did not see a compact(spare) tire and I asked my sales guy and he told me that X5 does not come with a compact(spare) tire. When I read owner's manual coming with the X5, it is said that a compact tire is located in the cargo area under the floor panel. I am confused.
Unfortunately the compact spare is a $150 option when you order the vehicle and is not standard. An X5 with the 3rd row option cannot carry the compact spare. There have been a few others who have forgotten to order this option. You can get it aftermarket from your dealer (close to $600 i believe) or do an online search for one yourself and get one cheaper (as an example http://www.beastpower.com/p/bmw/bimm...-bmw/BM-E70-ST)

Old 01-13-2012, 02:27 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
I paid about $80 for the steel rim and $130 for the compact spare on TireRack a while ago. The tire I got was a Continental T155/90R18 compact spare.

I spent another $40 on the mounting, jacks, tire iron, etc. Overall it all fits under on the rear cover. Sure it's nice to have it stock, but it wasn't even an option when I ordered my vehicle. I don't think you can purchase the center post that holds the spare in place as that comes with the spare tire from the factory. I found 2 $3 tire chocks works great holding it centered otherwise (plus they come in handy when you need to change your tire).

Last edited by alphaod; 01-13-2012 at 02:30 PM. Reason: Grammar correction
Old 01-14-2012, 09:21 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Susan2012 View Post
I pickuped up my new 2012 BMW x5 two days ago. I did not see a compact(spare) tire and I asked my sales guy and he told me that X5 does not come with a compact(spare) tire. When I read owner's manual coming with the X5, it is said that a compact tire is located in the cargo area under the floor panel. I am confused.
I ordered one from the dealer over the counter. had to order whell, tire, valve stem seperately and the pay to ae it assembled.
Came to @$300. I am going to order the Continental Non Run Flats THE TIRE RACK recommends.
I will keep you posted
Old 01-14-2012, 12:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 335d
Post Cheney

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoUnion View Post
And why do you seem to care?
I am offended by boorish behavior and try to reduce it through feedback.
Perhaps you are unaware of how you come across.
Makes folks apprehensive about posting.
Not very productive.
Old 01-14-2012, 12:12 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 x5 sav
Quote:
Originally Posted by iehrlich View Post
Not very productive.

If the very people who whine so often didn't feel so compelled to peruse the boards seeking inefficient posts to comment on they might not feel so offenended when they find one.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:02 PM

I was actually just able to get a brand new compact spare for free but it didn't come with anything else like jack or lug wrench. Do I need to buy the oem parts or can I just get something at pep boys?
Old 01-14-2012, 01:15 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Mein Auto: 535i M Sport; 328i Wagon
Quote:
Originally Posted by brettnyc View Post
I was actually just able to get a brand new compact spare for free but it didn't come with anything else like jack or lug wrench. Do I need to buy the oem parts or can I just get something at pep boys?
I've answered this before. But since you seem to feel entitled to flip off the seasoned owners who post here, you're on your own.

BTW I'll take a boor over a bore any day.

Current BMW's:
2014 535i MSport Space / Black, ZCW, ZDA, ZLP, ZLS, ZPP, H-K and 704
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-14-2012, 01:17 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Not very productive.
Whareas the grand total of 3 posts you have made have been extraordinarily helpful. Much more so than AutoUnion's, ard's or mine.

Good work, Sparky.

Current BMW's:
2014 328i Sport Wagon, Glacier / Black, ZSL, ZD2, ZD3, ZDH, ZLP, ZPP, ZTP, and H-K

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-14-2012, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
I've answered this before. But since you seem to feel entitled to flip off the seasoned owners who post here, you're on your own.
I am a seasoned owner. Never flipped you off or mentioned your name. Guilty conscience? But thanks for proving my point. If you can't get a simple question answered on a subject specific message board without pissing someone off then something / someone is wrong.
Old 01-14-2012, 01:40 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Here's the deal. Since I am on my 3rd E70, I "may" have some knowledge that can help folks out. Like the guy on the other thread who was looking for the proper torque for his lug nuts and apparently didn't know there was a PDF version of the owner's manual. (He didn't want to walk 5 blocks to his garage to check the paper manual, which raises the interesting question of how he was going to operate his torque wrench from 5 blocks away. Whatever).

When AutoUnion, ard, I or anyone else posts to a thread, we are "subscribed". That means we get an email whenever there is a new post. Most of the time, that's a good thing, because if someone we are trying to help says "I didn't understand your answer, could you elaborate?" we can get right back to the guy while he is still online.

Sometimes, subscribing is very frustrating. E.g. when an OP comes back on the thread and states the same thing (vaguely) over and over and over again, we get email after email. I guess one solution is never to post, which means not downloading any of the information we've accumulated over many years of ownership. Is that productive? Another solution is to never subscribe to a thread, just lob out info, ride off into the sunset and let folks sort it out on their own. A third solution is to keep on keeping on and flame the occasional d-bag with 3 posts who doesn't get it. Sorry you don't like my choice. Maybe I will reconsider it and go with Door #1 or Door #2 instead.

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-14-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Here's the deal. Since I am on my 3rd E70, I "may" have some knowledge that can help folks out. Like the guy on the other thread who was looking for the proper torque for his lug nuts and apparently didn't know there was a PDF version of the owner's manual. (He didn't want to walk 5 blocks to his garage to check the paper manual, which raises the interesting question of how he was going to operate his torque wrench from 5 blocks away. Whatever).

When AutoUnion, ard, I or anyone else posts to a thread, we are "subscribed". That means we get an email whenever there is a new post. Most of the time, that's a good thing, because if someone we are trying to help says "I didn't understand your answer, could you elaborate?" we can get right back to the guy while he is still online.

Sometimes, subscribing is very frustrating. E.g. when an OP comes back on the thread and states the same thing (vaguely) over and over and over again, we get email after email. I guess one solution is never to post, which means not downloading any of the information we've accumulated over many years of ownership. Is that productive? Another solution is to never subscribe to a thread, just lob out info, ride off into the sunset and let folks sort it out on their own. A third solution is to keep on keeping on and flame the occasional d-bag with 3 posts who doesn't get it. Sorry you don't like my choice. Maybe I will reconsider it and go with Door #1 or Door #2 instead.
I get it and understand your frustration. And for those who don't realize, that guy that quack is "flaming" from another post is me. I did not want to walk 5 blocks to my garage in the freezing cold to get the answer to a question that I assumed was easily answered by someone on this forum. Could I have spent 30 minutes trolling through old posts to find the torque specs for lug nuts??? Yes. But why bother when I know there must dozens on this board who know the answer and should be happy to provide it.

This is forum for people to ask questions with the expectation of answer. If i wanted to be scolded by someone I would talk to my wife about wanting to go fishing. The option to subscribe to a post or not is completely your own. I get that it may be annoying to receive an email about a question that may have been answered a year ago, but that's the nature of a forum.

But to each his own. I will agree to disagree and won't expect any help from you in the future. No hurt feelings or ill will.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:

I think the above post explains our point of view quite well. If you're gonna post the same **** over and over again and spam our box, we are entitled to use attitude.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Not very productive.
Oh please, spare me the bull****.

This same topic has been beaten to death thousands of times. A simple search on here to xoutpost would've gotten you every single answer. No reason to spam the E70 board asking.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:09 PM

Quote:
I think the above post explains our point of view quite well. If you're gonna post the same **** over and over again and spam our box, we are entitled to use attitude.
I understand your point. But you "experts" are the minority and those with questions are the majority. If a duplicate post annoys you ( which I understand) then why don't you just ignore it?
Old 01-14-2012, 02:12 PM

Quote:
If a duplicate post annoys you ( which I understand) then why don't you just ignore it?
What part of "it sends us an email for every reply" do you not understand? It's even worse because my Android vibrates on every new email.
Old 01-14-2012, 02:17 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

I don't know any of these ***holes.

A
Old 01-14-2012, 02:19 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Because we're subscribed, so the spam arrives. And you missed part of my point (the biggest part from where I sit). I gladly shared with you (and everyone else) a piece of information of which I think you were unaware. Namely, that you can download a PDF version of your owner's manual and research stuff any time you want from your computer or even your phone. In my experience, that PDF manual is really valuable, even though I only have to walk downstairs to my garage to get the paper version. And the long term owners ("experts" is too much of an overstatement) like ard, AutoUnion, quack and a bunch of others freely offer our expertise and experience, despite the personal insults from the occasional noob d-bag.

It is a rare 'Fester that says "thank you." And although I disagree with you about a lot of things, I will give you props for saying "thanks" on the other thread.

Let's let it go at that, and I'll take you up on your offer. Don't ask me for any help, and I won't offend you by offering. Deal?

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-14-2012, 02:23 PM
///Monkeyazz Duck

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I don't know anyone I enjoy more than these ***holes.

A
Fixed

Current BMW's:

Prior BMW's
2011 535ix MSport
2011 X5 35D
2008 ///M3 Vert
2008 X5 3.0
2007 X5 3.0
2006 X5 3.0
2006 550iA SP
2003 540iA M-Technic
Old 01-14-2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Because we're subscribed, so the spam arrives. And you missed part of my point (the biggest part from where I sit). I gladly shared with you (and everyone else) a piece of information of which I think you were unaware. Namely, that you can download a PDF version of your owner's manual and research stuff any time you want from your computer or even your phone. In my experience, that PDF manual is really valuable, even though I only have to walk downstairs to my garage to get the paper version. And the long term owners ("experts" is too much of an overstatement) like ard, AutoUnion, quack and a bunch of others freely offer our expertise and experience, despite the personal insults from the occasional noob d-bag.

It is a rare 'Fester that says "thank you." And although I disagree with you about a lot of things, I will give you props for saying "thanks" on the other thread.

Let's let it go at that, and I'll take you up on your offer. Don't ask me for any help, and I won't offend you by offering. Deal?
Agreed
Old 01-14-2012, 03:47 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I get it and understand your frustration. And for those who don't realize, that guy that quack is "flaming" from another post is me. I did not want to walk 5 blocks to my garage in the freezing cold to get the answer to a question that I assumed was easily answered by someone on this forum. Could I have spent 30 minutes trolling through old posts to find the torque specs for lug nuts??? Yes. But why bother when I know there must dozens on this board who know the answer and should be happy to provide it. ll.
1. Go to BMW owners circle, download the manual. WTH, you should have it anyway, right?

2. I found it in 45 seconds. Lit-trally. It took google, 3 links to cross check, then converted the N-m to ft-lbs to make sure the number was right,

There is a certain maturity that member earn here- and in other forums. (You think this is rough, try porsche). A post that starts with "Guys, I've found 3 DIYs and have read a bunch of posts, but have one question on...." paints a different picture than "Any one know why my CEL is on". Not saying anyone needs to be one or the other, but people can control who they are treated by how the present themselves.

Anyways....back to the game
Old 01-14-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
What part of "it sends us an email for every reply" do you not understand? It's even worse because my Android vibrates on every new email.
What part of "it is completely up to you to subscribe to a thread or not" do you not understand? Perhaps you should go to the android forum, spend 30 minutes searching for, "how to make sure my phone doesn't vibrate every time someone posts a question that was answered X years ago" or you can be a luddite like myself and just ask the question.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
I don't know any of these ***holes.

A
ard,

nobody called you a d**sh so no need to call us "***holes". That could have been said in PM as there are few that care about how frustrated you must be with this thread.
Old 01-14-2012, 05:06 PM

Quote:
What part of "it is completely up to you to subscribe to a thread or not" do you not understand? Perhaps you should go to the android forum, spend 30 minutes searching for, "how to make sure my phone doesn't vibrate every time someone posts a question that was answered X years ago" or you can be a luddite like myself and just ask the question.
you asked a question, we answered it (getting us subscribed to this ****show) and you keep on spamming us.

and me having to search the android forums for phone help is none of your business. unlike you, I realize what the search function is there for. it literally takes a couple seconds to figure **** out.
Closed Thread