Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)

X5 E70 (2007 - 2013)
E70 BMW X5 produced between 2007 and 2013. Discuss the E70 X5 with other BMW owners here.

Old 04-29-2011, 07:54 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5
2007 E70 Overheating???

2007 E70 3.0 - After 25 miles of tollway driving in 78 degree weather, turned onto city arterial, less 10 minutes got orange overheat warning then red. Fan was running at high speed. Pulled over, opened hood but no evidence engine was overheated. Top engine cover was not as warm as expected for normal conditions. Touched radiator in front of fan, not hot. Slowly opened reservoir, hissed a little, but when opened, no steam, no boiling, water level good. Like most problems I've had with BMW's, especially this one, I think it is the sensor. Any history of this?
Advertisement
Old 04-29-2011, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 530
I operate cars in AZ, so I know this stuff. I would suspect a sensor given the fan works, that is ALL electric fans, thermostat is not stuck closed, and water is at level. This is all about water flow, through radiator, block, and air across radiator by speed about 40 MPH or fans.
Old 04-29-2011, 01:59 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
I think the Water pump is also electric and if that failed, you will melt you engine which will not be covered by any kind of warranty.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: 530
Good point if the pump is electric, note my comment on water flow. If it was cool at highway sepped, then overheated when driving slow or stopped, this is likley an airflow issue.

Last edited by boatpi; 04-30-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 04-30-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 TURBO X5 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpi View Post
Good point if the pump is electric, note my comment on water flow. If it was cool at highway sepped, then overheated when driving slow or stopped, this is likley an airflow issue.
If Electric Water pump is not working then there is NO flow of Engine Coolant! That this point when coolant is NOT in a flow and is stand STILL, any air flow will not have any consequence.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:06 AM

Mein Auto: 2007 x5
Fixed

Turned out, according to the codes, to be a failed/failing electric water pump. The electronic thermostat apparently moves itself beyond its normal open position in a last ditch effort to save the overheating engine (or something like that) and destroys itself. Replaced both to fix. Electric water pump, electronic thermostat...dead at 65K miles...another example of BMWs advanced computer engineering thinking and not so advanced implementation capability...IMHO.
Old 05-03-2011, 09:24 AM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbelote View Post
Turned out, according to the codes, to be a failed/failing electric water pump. The electronic thermostat apparently moves itself beyond its normal open position in a last ditch effort to save the overheating engine (or something like that) and destroys itself. Replaced both to fix. Electric water pump, electronic thermostat...dead at 65K miles...another example of BMWs advanced computer engineering thinking and not so advanced implementation capability...IMHO.

You are assuming that what the mechanic (was this a BMW SA?) told you is actually true.

I've never heard of a sensor 'moving beyond normal open in a last ditch attempt and destroying itself'

Oh, the water pump for your car is mechanically belt driven....
Old 07-20-2011, 10:14 PM

Mein Auto: nc, 07 X5 3.0si
My wife's X5 just started getting hot. The fan comes on really loud and stays on 90% of the time. The engine temp high sign came on earlier today and went out according to my wife.
I checked the coolant level and it was low so I put about 1 L of distilled water to top it off but the loud fan still comes on when the engine is on. I drove to the mechanic who was about 2 miles away and the engine temp high sign did not come on although the extra loud fan was on the whole time.

2007 X5 3.0 is w/ 68K miles.
Old 09-17-2011, 05:27 AM

Mein Auto: E70 X5 3.0si
Quote:
Originally Posted by ard View Post
You are assuming that what the mechanic (was this a BMW SA?) told you is actually true.

I've never heard of a sensor 'moving beyond normal open in a last ditch attempt and destroying itself'

Oh, the water pump for your car is mechanically belt driven....
Actually just had similar mis-fortune happened to my 08 3.0si. Fortunately I was able to stop right away and had her towed to the garage.

Looking at the failed waterpump, I do have a feeling that it's indeed electronic.

Needless to say, I'm not amused by the failure of the pump at the age of ~3yrs and merely 38k km! What makes the matter worse is that there is no sign/warning whatsoever. I want my freaking analog water temperature gauge back!!!
Old 09-17-2011, 08:42 AM

It is electronic. It was replaced by dealer for $50 deductible under CPO warranty.
The bill without warranty would have been about $700. Part alone is $500.
If the fan starts to run really hard that's the sign the pump failed.
Old 09-17-2011, 09:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
An electric water pump? Why? Just another very expensive part to fail when a mechanical pump would (should) last until the packing fails and it begins to leak, still never losing the coolant moving capability. Well, I guess it probably saves a hp or two, but at what cost?
Old 09-17-2011, 09:39 AM

Since it is electronic the computer should just tell it is a failed water pump. But the iDrive display didn't show that. The diagnostic computer did however. So it is easier to diagnose.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
An electric water pump? Why? Just another very expensive part to fail when a mechanical pump would (should) last until the packing fails and it begins to leak, still never losing the coolant moving capability. Well, I guess it probably saves a hp or two, but at what cost?
Well, given mine was abt. 3yr and 38k KM old, I fail to see the benefit of technological evolution.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:59 AM

I am surprised not every water pump failed on 2007 X5.
Old 09-17-2011, 10:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edhchoe View Post
Since it is electronic the computer should just tell it is a failed water pump. But the iDrive display didn't show that. The diagnostic computer did however. So it is easier to diagnose.
That's what really ticked me off. No sign, no gauge to tell me how hot the water was running, let alone giving me the idea that water temperature was RISING!

Boom, just a freaking message saying that the engine is overheating. In fact, the message came out probably 30 seconds AFTER I 'heard' this loud fan running and BEFORE I figure out how to deal w/ that fan noise...

This is my 5th BMW and I've always respected the engineering of BMW but this time I'm utterly disappointed!

Last edited by alecela; 09-17-2011 at 11:01 AM.
Old 09-17-2011, 11:02 AM

The e46 sedan my wife had before the x5 was more reliable. It only needed cam angle sensor in 8 years of ownership. And I replaced it myself at home. Part cost $105.
Old 10-08-2011, 05:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2002 X5
This just happened to me yesterday without warning. I am at 64k miles and have an '07 3.0 X5. I basically lost power, yellow indicator popped up and told me to slow down and drive moderately. Fan was running like crazy. Prior to this though I heard what sounded like a small whining noise tha I believe was a bearing.

Then after pulling over, waiting 15 minutes, and trying to get back on the road, I get the red message that the engine is overheated and the fan is running at Mach 2.

A call to roadside assist later, and a tow with a guy named Bucky, I'm on my way back to where I came from to drop the car off at the dealer. Fortunately car is CPO so hopefully everything is covered.

Funny thing is in my e53 that I owned prior to this, I had the water pump replaced at 100k on my own dime to prevent this issue. 64k miles is a little early especially for a part that has been known to fail for so long. When I did the replacement on the last one, i purposely told my Indy not to use the OEM one with plastic impeller and use the metal one instead. Therefore at 115k miles this time around, I'll likely swap this replacement as well.
Old 10-08-2011, 09:24 AM

Wow. I wonder what percentage of these cars are having the same problem with the water pump. If they used the same pump it will fail around 130k miles which means the car will be out of CPO warranty. I will have to pay $700.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:51 PM

Mein Auto: E70Diesel, E46
mine just overheated tonight. Fan running like crazy then message saying it's overheated. It's going to the dealership tomorrow and it's probably the water pump like other posters mentioned.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:46 AM

Mein Auto: X5 35D
What sort of mileage are these pumps failing at? I'd rather replace it before it fails than get stranded on the road somewhere.

| ZCW | ZPP | ZPS | ZRC | ZSP | ZTP | 322 | 2VA | 456 | 4AD | 4UB | 610 | 655 | 6FF | 6FL | Combox + CIC + LCI Headlight/Tailight retro |
Old 12-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Mein Auto: E70Diesel, E46
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue dragon View Post
What sort of mileage are these pumps failing at? I'd rather replace it before it fails than get stranded on the road somewhere.
mine has 43k and others said theirs were around 60k. I guess its a good preventive maintenance to replace it even before it breaks since it will leave you stranded on the highway when it breaks. Like what happened to me last night, in the middle of nowhere (dark and cold) warning came up and engine stopped and to make it worst battery discharged real quick after leaving flashers on. We need to make a poll as to the mileage when those who have broken waterpumps happened.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:38 PM

Mein Auto: x5
Water Pump or Thermostat?

I'm a DYI guy...not so much for the $'s but for the experience...
Just had an overheating experience this morning. No heat when I would normally expect it and then several more miles down the road I got the 'Drive Moderately...warning'. I checked the fluid in the resevoir, lines and cap were cool to the touch, and it looked to be at an ok level. I let things cool a bit, 21 degrees F this morning, and then drove it home. Now I look at the coolant level again and it was very low. I would like to bleed the air from the system to make sure the radiator is full, since their is no radiator cap that I can find... How do I do this?
Old 02-12-2012, 10:30 AM

Mein Auto: X5
Lost our water pump last spring at 50k miles. Stranded on the highway on Sunday. The engine just shut down to prevent damage. Now I know why I have BMW assist.

Sent from my DROIDX using Bimmer
Old 02-12-2012, 11:52 AM

Mein Auto: x5
Mine went out at 68K. I could see it starting to leak but didn't realize it was the water pump. To replace it is a very in depth project but I've had fun. I feel like I can take anything apart and put it back together again...it seems like the whole front end of the car was off. Replaced the termostat at the same time since it is way down in there too...
Old 02-12-2012, 10:19 PM
Mmmmmm…

Mein Auto: '13 Range Rover S/C
I have an appointment at the dealership to fix a lot of things right before my warranty is up…. should I ask them to check this? If so, how would they check this?