Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 05-04-2011, 03:26 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
I think the sensers the "mechanic" is referring to are the brake wear sensors....although I think that would cause the BRAKE light to come on I doubt it would cause an ABS light.

Also, as I said before, engine sludge, while not good, does not automatically cause a catastrophic engine failure. Was it using a quart of oil prior to the Seafoam treatment? Did you use the Seafoam in the crankcase? Engine sludge typically stays put except when you try to clean it out. Indications of sludge causing problems are; smoking (due to the oil not draining out of the head properly and getting sucked through the valve guides), running hot (due to lack of the cooling benefit of the oil since it's being held in areas), flickering oil pressure light (again due to the oil being held in areas because it can't drain back peroperly), and engine noises (caused by oil starvation).
Old 05-04-2011, 05:20 AM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i
I won't have time today to take a tire off for a pic but I found a pic from a DIY thread that will hopefully explain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	dscn2993e.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	121.1 KB
ID:	277236

The way the mechanic explained it to me was then when the new rotor went back on, the sensor was knocked loose and the coat hanger tool helped hold it in place so that is was not damaged. What I had seen (where the arrow points) was the sensor wire hanging loose. It was close enough to the rotor to damage it.

Also

Wow, did I really type "BREAK", instead of BRAKE. I know my typing is bad, but man. My fault.....

Last edited by LoganWolf; 05-04-2011 at 05:25 AM.
Old 05-04-2011, 01:49 PM
Seek to understand,^Value

Mein Auto: 02 BMW 525i M54 auto 130K
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleetman View Post
I think the sensers the "mechanic" is referring to are the brake wear sensors....although I think that would cause the BRAKE light to come on I doubt it would cause an ABS light.
Understood. There are only two brake wear sensors (driver front and passenger rear), while there are four wheel speed sensors. In the wheels with both, they are innervated from the harness at the same junction box.

The brake sensor can set a BRAKE light while the wheel speed sensor might set the classic ABS BRAKE DSC trifecta (or ABS DSC bifecta), if broken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoganWolf View Post
What I had seen (where the arrow points) was the sensor wire hanging loose. It was close enough to the rotor to damage it
Well, you really should find time to paste a picture (I do it all the time ... see any of my threads for plenty of pictures) as you're wasting our time (and wearing us out) by talking about a sensor when you're pointing far away from the sensor (at the connection to the harness) - and you're not even using your own pictures.

And, you're not being explicit enough even with people who know the difference between a brake wear sensor and a wheel speed sensor (both of which are in the same general vicinity).

So as to not waste any more of 'my' time, I'll not respond until/unless you take the courtesy to post a picture. Lord knows, I've done that thousands of times and it 'does' make a difference in eliminating confusion.

Good luck though!

Last edited by bluebee; 05-04-2011 at 01:51 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '11 X5 35d & 98 Cherokee
The picture DID look like the ABS sensor wire so I doubt your sensor problem is the same wire.....brake wear sensors always look burnt to me. I think the coat hanger trick he's referring to is to hold the caliper up so it's not hanging from the brake wear sensor wire....a sure way to damage it.
Old 05-16-2012, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 540i Sport
Sorry to post into an old thread, but I don't think my issue warrants a new thread of its own.

I'm new to the site and have a similar or same problem. I'd like to run my issue by you guys and hear your thoughts. I have a 2000 540i with sport package, auto trans, 150k. I had the transmission rebuilt two years ago.

I get the three light trifecta, but other issues accompany it. Note only do I lose speedo, but also lose RPM and temp. The gauges may intermittently come on during driving, then off again. I also get a console message saying "transmission in fail safe mode" and the transmission remains locked in third gear. After sitting with the ignition off for some time (an hour or so), it drives normal but the whole scenario repeats itself if driven more than 20 minutes or so.

I took it to an independent shop for a printout of the error codes. The mechanic also suspected ABS.

Last edited by ArtP; 05-17-2012 at 09:55 PM.