BimmerFest BMW Forum banner

Bilstein Shocks - just purchased

17K views 40 replies 15 participants last post by  ZZ4444 
#1 ·
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to let everyone know Bilstein shocks are finally on sale at BavAuto.
I just ordered a pair for our 04 X3 with 117,000 miles on it. Definitly overdue.
Pairing them with Eibach Pro Kit springs and all new associated strut mounts and pads.

Another member here, Chagrin, did the same suspension swap about a year ago.

I'll give an update when everythings done!

#5 ·
#10 ·
Here are some photos of the X3 after the suspension change.
I don't have any before photos handy unfortunately.

Also, for anyone looking at Thule roof racks, this is the Thule 45050 rack system with a Thule Evolution 1600 box on top. It works really well with no noticeable wind noise.

Attachments

#11 ·
Do you have the sport package or just the standard suspension?

I've got an 2006 with 102k miles on the standard suspension and my left front strut just blew the seal and is leaking, so I'm trying to decide whether to replace the front 2 with OEM, the front 2 with Bilsteins and wait on the rear, or do bilsteins on all 4 corners.

I don't have tools or space to do my own wrenching, so it's going to cost me more at an indy shop.

I've been getting quotes from a couple of shops and both have recommended against the bilsteins and suggested OEM. The first shop mentioned that the bilsteins were more likely to wear out before OEMs. I got a quote for both and the price difference wasn't that much. The 2nd shop also suggested the OEM and said he actually owned an X3 for a couple of years. He said the bilsteins would handle better, but would make a "rough" ride even rougher since they wouldn't react to road imperfections as quickly as OEM.

Thoughts?

#12 ·
I've always heard the opposite; Bilsteins are supposed to last longer than OEM Sachs. The Bilsteins are also supposed to have a faster reaction time than OEM's ( or at least the same ).

Either way, you really can't go wrong. For me, the Bilsteins were on sale and less expensive than OEM. They Bilsteins shocks appear to be very high quality and so far I've been very happy I went this route.

The one thing I would recommend is doing all 4 corners at the same time. You already need 2 new front struts and those are the more expensive of the two. Rear shocks should cost about 1/3 of the front struts. Also, check for broken springs in the rear. These may be broken at the tail end, especially if they're original with that many miles on them.

#17 ·
I too had to replace my leaking right front strut a month ago. So with a bit of a time constraint I went with the OEM struts for the front as well as front Lower Control Arms and sway bar links, came out to around $1400 for the job which was done in one day. I went to the dealer the next week for a $150 alignment bringing the total cost to ~$1700.

I thought about the Bilsteins but was worried they'd be too stiff. Don't get me wrong, I like to corner fast and appreciate the handling capabilities, but don't want to break my back. (I can do that on my hardtail mountain bike thank you very much). Plus I wasn't sure about the pricing for the Bilsteins; the indy shop charged me around $300/ea for the Sachs struts.

#19 ·
Yes, those are 100% compatible with the stock OEM springs. Most guys will replace the springs around 100k miles though. Probably because everything is apart anyway and they're relatively less expensive compared to the struts. Labor cost should essentially the same.

If I were you, I'd shop around and get a few different prices. Also see if any independents will install prepurchased parts.

#20 ·
Yes, those are 100% compatible with the stock OEM springs. Most guys will replace the springs around 100k miles though. Probably because everything is apart anyway and they're relatively less expensive compared to the struts. Labor cost should essentially the same.

If I were you, I'd shop around and get a few different prices. Also see if any independents will install prepurchased parts.
Thanks for the advice. I don't know if I have the luxury of time to shop around at different shops and deals for pre-purchased parts though. I can already feel something wrong with the strut now when I hit rough patches of road and sometimes when braking also. I don't want to do any additional damage to related parts.

#22 ·
Does anyone know if there are aftermarket springs that are OE length but better quality? I don't want the X3 to be lowered but don't want the BMW springs either.

#25 · (Edited)
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and relatively new to BMWs. Anyway, I like this thread. I have been modifying german cars for a while and have always found Bils to be superior to any other shocks. I believe most come with a lifetime warranty too. I want to change the suspension on my 07 X3. I just got it in October. It is my first used car in while, but I like the older technology. It has a lot of charm too. There is not much in the way of upgrades though. I looked into ACS suspension because it has a matched set of shocks and springs and I had considered KWs as well. Now that I have read this thread, I am considering this option.

Mlukas161, I have read that the Bils HDs are for OEM springs only. And, of course the H&R and Eibach springs can be used with OEM shocks. Anyway, how is the set holding up? I am interested to know if the handling is good. Also, did the springs settle any further. I had alway found on previous cars that Eibachs never settled and H&Rs had. Thanks again for the install info.

#26 ·
Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and relatively new to BMWs. Anyway, I like this thread. I have been modifying german cars for a while and have always found Bils to be superior to any other shocks. I believe most come with a lifetime warranty too. I want to change the suspension on my 07 X3. I just got it in October. It is my first used car in while, but I like the older technology. It has a lot of charm too. There is not much in the way of upgrades though. I looked into ACS suspension because it has a matched set of shocks and springs and I had considered KWs as well. Now that I have read this thread, I am considering this option.

Mlukas161, I have read that the Bils HDs are for OEM springs only. And, of course the H&R and Eibach springs can be used with OEM shocks. Anyway, how is the set holding up? I am interested to know if the handling is good. Also, did the springs settle any further. I had alway found on previous cars that Eibachs never settled and H&Rs had. Thanks again for the install info.
Hi derSpeed. Still no complaints with the Bilstein HD shocks and Eibach Prokit springs.
I wouldn't say the ride is any softer than stock, though it does seem more controlled and stable at thruway speeds. Rough side streets are still pretty jarring.

I also increased my tire side wall height by 1" to 235 60 17" Michelin tires. This had been the most noticible increase in ride comfort.

It was my understanding that lowering springs shouldnt be used with OEM shocks and struts... Not sure. But, to answer your questions, I haven't had any issues with addtional settling or spring breakage etc. I did drive for approx 500 miles before having the alignment done just to allow the springs to settle. I did this on a set of tires that needed replacing soon anyways.

Both the Bilstein HDs and the Eibach springs have a lifetime or 1,000,000 mile warranty.
So far so good!

#27 · (Edited)
Awesome. Thanks for the reply. Nice to have options with this vehicle. So far it has been a well-rounded vehicle. Both H&R and Eibach claim you can use their springs with oem shocks. I have always used Bilsteins with my suspension modifications. Anyway, once I get my wheels and suspension set up, I will post some pics. This will be the first SUV I have ever modified. I am going to try to keep, what I think, is a classics BMW look and feel. Looking forward to being a member here.

Regards,
Bryan

#30 ·
I spent around $600 on shocks and struts alone.
Add another $250 for 4 coil springs.
Then approx $100 on new strut bearings, shock mounts and associated hardware.
(make sure they replace these as they are probably worn out with this many miles)

Alignment at the dealer will be around $180

#38 ·
I spent around $600 on shocks and struts alone.
Add another $250 for 4 coil springs.
Then approx $100 on new strut bearings, shock mounts and associated hardware.
(make sure they replace these as they are probably worn out with this many miles)

Alignment at the dealer will be around $180
Do you have the part numbers for the "$100 on new strut bearings, shock mounts, etc"?

#31 ·
Do you have any pics of how the Bilsteins sit with the Eibach Pro Springs? I've got Bilsteins all around with the M-Sport springs and an H&R RSB set to max stiffness, and it came together pretty nicely. Was thinking about doing the springs, but wanted to get opinions on how the car rides (don't want something too jarring) and see how it looks.

Cheers! :)

#34 · (Edited)
Not sure of the part #s. I got my Eibachs at Tire Rack and the shocks, mounts, struts, bearings and spring pads at BV Auto. I searched and those two companies had the lowest prices.

You'll have over $900.00 in parts. My step-father and I did the install, so labor cost was minimal in my case.

Geoffs, check out Post #24 in this thread to see my ride height with Eibachs. I installed the Bils a few months after and the height remained the same.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=681194&highlight=derspeed

#39 ·
Hi folks,

Now it's my turn: one rear spring is broken and I think it's fair now to change 4 springs and shocks, after 8 years and 100 000kms.

I just ordered a pack (B12 pro kit) with B6 Bilstein and Eibach springs. I was hesitating mounting it myself with the great DIY but my shop proposes 400 euros including alignment. And as I got a great deal buying the kit... I may well pull the trigger and delegate this non frequent work.

I have a question for you guys: should I also ask them to change other mounting parts? "Powerballs" or such stuff I've heard about? Bearings? Mounts? What should I ask them?

Thanks!
Kind regards

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.