Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)

7 Series - F01 / F02 (2009 - current)
The new re-designed 7 series F01 / F02 leads off the BMW Fxx chassis code!

Old 05-24-2011, 10:50 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 650cic/ 2012 M3 ZCP
i just went through a software update due to my right - side view camera being replaced. My iDrive menu now has Connected Drive on the list. I haven't had the chance to explore to see if any additional functionality is present. Production date 11/09. I'm just wondering if the naming conventions - BMW Assist to Connected Drive is universal with current/future software updates.
2012 X3 35i Titanium Silver/Black ZAP/ZPP/TECH/APPS/Breyton GTS/Continental Extreme DW (20's)
Old 05-27-2011, 07:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740 Li
I would like to add my name to this letter
Old 06-02-2011, 06:19 PM

Mein Auto: 750I
Smile 09 connectedDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levster View Post
Hey guys, I've been researching BMW ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps for a while now and it really peevs me that those of us with Combox's can't get a software update to add this feature. I've been talking to a couple vendors who do their installs and they don't have anything available for us 7 series yet, so I want to solicit BMW NA on behalf of as many F01/F02 owners as I can get formally requesting a software update for ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps. I'll write the letter and submit it to the board for approval and then we can all sign and send to BMW NA. I know its a longshot but it's not a lot of work for anyone it can only help. If you don't care about ConnectedDrive or think the BMW Apps are useless to you let me give you a few points to consider:

Having CD/Apps will raise the resale value of your car because it's a feature many regular owners won't have/pay money for

The current apps available (Facebook, Twitter, Pandora) are JUST the beginning. Imagine saying the iphone is useless because you didn't like the apps on it when it first came out, the BMW App store WILL GROW. It's not hard to imagine weather apps and movie showtime apps in the future just to name a few, in 1-2 years the suite of apps will be amazing I'm sure, and we'll miss out on all of them if we don't make a push to get it now.

ConnectedDrive will have more than just apps, ConnectedDrive is a platform to drive all types of functions in iDrive like internet browsing for example. Right now the only way to get CD is through the BMW Apps/6NR option, I'm sure in the future this may change but for us it
may be the only opportunity for us to get this function.

You already paid for the damn car! Don't let yourself get shortchanged because you happened to get your car in the wrong month, you paid 80 grand plus for the car you might as well have at least the opportunity to have every single function thats available to other buyers of the car, within reason, and trust me this is within reason, if 3rd party vendors can add this function for other models you know BMW's engineers are fully capable of incorporating it the next software update. And just to be clear, I'm not asking BMW to make it free, we should pay just like everybody else, it's only $250, compared to the price of the car or an iphone cradle its nothing.

I'll post more links on CD/BMW Apps in a seperate thread soon but for now I need to get interest in who's willing to put their name on this letter, it's not a lot of work at all, it's basically no work to be honest all you have to do is read the letter and sign of you agree, and if for nothing else sign it for your fellow 7 owners who do value and want this feature.

Thanks for reading this far and sorry this turned into a monster post

hi there..
i think you can go delership let them update you idrive
cause my idrive cannot receive google map.. then they update my idrive..so before my idrve show BMWAssist ..now is show ConnectedDrive...and also works with iphone app..which is you can check you car Current location... sound Horn...Flash headlights..
09 750i
Old 06-13-2011, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 740iL
Is there a latest status on this topic? Im interested, but it seems to had died down a bit. I have contacted BMWNA myself and put significant pressure on them for this and it resulted in a sit down discussion with a factory rep - he said at the highest levels of BMW they understand that this is an issue; however, there are no plans in the works for any kind of retrofit/upgrade. Its going to be up to the outside shops to get this done it sounds like.
Old 06-14-2011, 06:39 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750LI Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepeatBMWGuy View Post
Is there a latest status on this topic? Im interested, but it seems to had died down a bit. I have contacted BMWNA myself and put significant pressure on them for this and it resulted in a sit down discussion with a factory rep - he said at the highest levels of BMW they understand that this is an issue; however, there are no plans in the works for any kind of retrofit/upgrade. Its going to be up to the outside shops to get this done it sounds like.
Thanks for the update. I still believe a large show of support for this issue can drive it further through the BMW bureaucracy. Would you check with your contact and see if he/she can designate an email and/or phone number where owners can direct their desire for this specific feature. That way, we don't waste our energy, and they are not taken by surprise. I believe things will go viral from there.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:00 PM

Mein Auto: F02
I too have been in dialog with several BMW service advisors and as echoed above, expect nothing from BMW for retrofit.
It's important to be heard but, BMW knows time moves on and so do new updated vehicles.
Maybe something will be offered from aftermarket resellers in time.
Given the many leases and 2-4 year vehicle turnover by buyers, most will have something to look forward to in getting in to a newer build by BMW.
Would I personally have waited for Connected Drive? Not one to wait for what's next but I am one to plan and not have buyers remorse.
I can blu tooth my phone to the F02. I can wait till I am at a laptop for mobile aps as social networking.
What you maybe interested in from this site's home page is the info on the new flat panel instrument cluster of which many complained about.
Nvidia at 2011 Consumer Electronics Show had a stand alone exhibit with a new 5 series and Aston I think. Glass cockpits are comming, take it or leave it... it will leave you behind, technology does not wait.
Old 06-14-2011, 01:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laureate2 View Post
Thanks for the update. I still believe a large show of support for this issue can drive it further through the BMW bureaucracy. Would you check with your contact and see if he/she can designate an email and/or phone number where owners can direct their desire for this specific feature. That way, we don't waste our energy, and they are not taken by surprise. I believe things will go viral from there.
Happy to get a center point of contact and I agree with you on the united front of pressure.

The reality is that BMW made a mistake and at the very least they should figure out a retrofit for the post Sept 2010 builds that have 99% of the hardware in place. Apps isnt all that interesting today, but the future possibilities are in its advancements. Chevy has complete remote features via an app platform like this that unlocks doors; sets alarms; manages lighting etc. Even UK BMW has the same thing. Im sure that they will invest beyond Facebook and Twitter here and its value will grow (I suppose Im repeating the basis of this thread - my bad).

Ill reach out and update the forum once I have something to run with.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:56 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750LI Xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by RepeatBMWGuy View Post
Happy to get a center point of contact and I agree with you on the united front of pressure.

The reality is that BMW made a mistake and at the very least they should figure out a retrofit for the post Sept 2010 builds that have 99% of the hardware in place. Apps isnt all that interesting today, but the future possibilities are in its advancements. Chevy has complete remote features via an app platform like this that unlocks doors; sets alarms; manages lighting etc. Even UK BMW has the same thing. Im sure that they will invest beyond Facebook and Twitter here and its value will grow (I suppose Im repeating the basis of this thread - my bad).

Ill reach out and update the forum once I have something to run with.
Great Thanks!!!
Old 06-19-2011, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheemer View Post
whats the latest?
radio silence (sigh).
Old 06-19-2011, 07:37 PM
R.E.44

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 750i/2007 750i
Guys. I can help you with this. I have a friend of mine who got a custom retrofit i'n his car. Cost 900 but i'n my opinion completely worth it!
I'm looking to take the dive i'n my f01.

I work with him so i can provide pictures tommorow, along with additional info
Old 06-30-2011, 12:44 PM

Mein Auto: 750LI
any update on the pics or the retro fit
Old 06-30-2011, 01:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostface113 View Post
any update on the pics or the retro fit
If this actually exists for the F series cars the its up there in legendary status of a well kept secret. So, after its revealed, Im expecting to hear where Hoffa is burried in the same thread.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:43 AM
Vroom

Mein Auto: 2011 750Li
Bueller? Bueller? Bueller?
2007 335ci Titanium Silver, Auto (sold)
2004 745i Sapphire Black (sold)
2004 330cic Silver, SMG (sold)
2001 330xi Black, Steptronic (sold)
Old 07-17-2011, 06:35 PM

I have been in contact with Alekshop on this. And, I'm happy to say that he has my car and is testing with it this week. I'm acting as a test bench so there are no guarantees but with some hard work and testing on his end, I should walk away towards the end of the week with a full functioning version of apps. I have a 10/10 build date so my car does have the combox. I'll keep everyone posted on the outcome and if it's successful I'll give a complete review. As a side note, we are shooting for full functionality so I will require a comm wire install from the phone cradle back to the main unit etc.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:15 PM

Last edited by RepeatBMWGuy; 07-21-2011 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive50i
So I have one of the first 2011 X5's that rolled off the line around May 2010. Does this mean I am screwed on being able to upgrade my iDrive in any way? I would be happy if I could even just have Bluetooth "Audio" (not just phone) option, but ideally want Apps.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Mein Auto: 750 xdrive
I'm very interested in getting the BMW Apps ? I just got a 2012 750i got all the options but didn't order the $250 Apps option!! How do I go about getting Pandora and iPod artwork to work? What do I need software update and equipment update and is my car able to have his option work since it wasnt ordered from he factory? I have ask several different sales/parts people they all have different answers!! Please help with good info
Old 08-03-2011, 11:28 AM

Mein Auto: 750 xdrive
Cnet Just announced Pandora is now available with the BMW Apps! Is there away I could get the BMW Apps without having the factory option ? Can I just pay for a software update ?
Old 08-03-2011, 02:00 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 xDrive50i
Since this was an option when you bought the vehicle, I would think it should be as easy as letting your dealer know you want it when it arrives and paying for it, but I could be wrong as BMW has been pretty shi**y about iDrive upgrades.

BMW has really let me down this round on my X5, by not offering any upgrade path for me at the moment.
Old 08-05-2011, 08:54 AM

Mein Auto: 530i
I would be interested as well.
Old 08-07-2011, 02:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 750i
I'm interested. Let me know where to sign.
Old 09-30-2011, 04:14 PM

Mein Auto: 08 650i convert
Whats the latest? Mobile Office is the main reason I want to get the Connecteddrive thingamajig in mine.
Old 06-26-2012, 10:24 PM

what happened to the retrofit or aftermarket teases?

fo
Old 06-27-2012, 01:49 AM
Wardaddy in retirement

Mein Auto: f01 750i
I find it ridiculous that they don't give you BMW online in the States. That's like half of the whole gadget/user experience. I can't imagine having no e-mails, news, RSS feeds in my car. Remote functions are also pretty cool.

Btw combox as such has nothing to do directly with CD or BMW online. It's a hardware piece, and only for the Ipod/Iphone output and a few apps like twitter. Like,showing the videos from your Iphone. Meh.

You get Internet browsing, BMW Online, Google search, and all the normal OEM BMW apps without the combox.

Last edited by beamlord; 06-27-2012 at 04:15 AM.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:46 AM

combox and connected drive

thanks for the info beamloard - I was told about a year ago that because my car didn't have that gixmo, I couldn't access all the apps or the email - it really ticks me off that folks at the dealerships don't seem to have a clue, nor does customer service guy I had called from my car to ask these questions. if anyone has a suggestion on who I should contact to get this activated I would appreicate hearing