Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 7 Series / 8 Series > 7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)

7 Series - E65 / E66 (2002 - 2008)
Discussion pertaining to the flagship BMW here.

Old 05-03-2011, 02:04 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
Change Battery

My 745li display "Recharge Battery" on the dashboard once I put it on start with out starting the engine. Dealer said: you need to replace battery and charge me $500 to replace it. Therefore, I decided to go to autozone and a new battery for $170 and do it myself. I understand it require reset/register the new battery, can I use INPA to do registeration ? If yes, is it complicate and what is the path to it. Also, does it impact other parts of the electrionic components after the battery changed. Your help is appreciated.
Advertisement
Old 05-03-2011, 02:22 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
did you get an AGM battery? I believe you can use INPA, search and there's a step by step here somewhere!
Old 05-03-2011, 04:44 PM

Mein Auto: 03 745Li
I got the answer from this post. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+battery+steps Thanks

BTW.. What the difference between AGM battery vs. Durlast battery sell in autozone ?
Old 05-04-2011, 01:05 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 760Li
Quote:
Originally Posted by ngrich View Post
I got the answer from this post. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...+battery+steps Thanks

BTW.. What the difference between AGM battery vs. Durlast battery sell in autozone ?
AGM batteries are a different animal from regular batteries:

Quote:
Wet Cell (flooded), Gel Cell, and Absorbed Glass Mat (AGM) are various versions of the lead acid battery. The Wet cell comes in two styles; Serviceable and Maintenance free. Both are filled with electrolyte and are basicly the same. I prefer one that I can add water to and check the specific gravity of the electrolyte with a hydrometer. The Gel Cell and the AGM batteries are specialty batteries that typically cost twice as much as a premium wet cell. However they store very well and do not tend to sulfate or degrade as easily as wet cell. There is little chance of a hydrogen gas explosion or corrosion when using these batteries; these are the safest lead acid batteries you can use. Gel Cell and some AGM batteries may require a special charging rate. If you want the best,most versatile type, consideration should be given to the AGM battery for applications such as Marine, RV, Solar, Audio, Power Sports and Stand-By Power just to name a few. If you don't use or operate your equipment daily, AGM batteries will hold their charge better that other types. If you must depend on top-notch battery performance, spend the extra money. Gel Cell batteries still are being sold but AGM batteries are replacing them in most applications. There is a some common confusion regarding AGM batteries because different manufactures call them by different names; some of the more common names are "sealed regulated valve", "dry cell", "non spillable", and "Valve Regulated Lead Acid" batteries. In most cases AGM batteries will give greater life span and greater cycle life than a wet cell battery.
Old 05-04-2011, 04:33 AM
Master Tinkerer

Mein Auto: 2007 Alpina B7
I'm in Houston as well and can register the battery for you, and help you put it in if you need. Battery registration takes just a few seconds. Let me know if you want to meet up, I'm Heights-ish.

Black 2007 Alpina B7
Tension strut bushings

White 2007 Alpina B7
Supercharger clutch/bearings, replaced exhaust valve/pulled head, sunroof seal, 6000K angel eyes

Black 2002 BMW 745Li (sold)
KW v3's, blue angel eyes, 8000K headlights & HID fogs, rebuilt alternator & mounting bracket gasket, sunroof seal, CCVs, plugs, sway bar bushings, timing & valve cover gaskets, valve stem seals, guibo joint, mechatronic sealing sleeve, trans fluid, sanded headlights...

Last edited by Keif; 05-04-2011 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-10-2011, 02:03 PM

Mein Auto: 745Li
Because of all of the electronic components on this vehicle, purchase the battery from BMW and install it yourself. Its pretty simple.