Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > 5 Series DIY

5 Series DIY
Knowledge Is Power! ~ The place for do-it-yourself threads on a variety of topics. Start a thread describing a particular job (oil change, cooling system overhaul, brakes, shocks and springs, etc.) or search for one you need help with!

Old 05-03-2011, 08:13 PM

Mein Auto: 525I
Cool fuel pump removal

Hi: I 'm new to this site, sounds very informational, I have a 1994 525I, did some testing of relays, fuses, etc. to fuel system, it looks like my fuel pump is bad, would like to know how to remove fuel pump from module or housing, so i can replace just the fuel pump, and not the whole module, any expert, step by step advice would be appreciated. thanks!
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: American
Step 1. Disconnect the battery. Always do this when working on the fuel system.

Step 2. Open the trunk lid and lift up the carpet. You will see a cover with a bunch of screws holding it in place. Take the screws out and remove the plate.

Step 3. Disconnect the plug from the sending unit.

Step 4. Undo all the nuts holding the sending unit in place. Also disconnect the hoses attaching to it. Remember where they go! I don't remember what size the nuts are.

Step 5. Carefully lift the sending unit out. There are 2 wires coming out and 2 more hoses coming out that is attached to the fuel pump sitting in the bottom of the tank.

Step 6. Reach inside the fuel tank and look for 2 clips holding the pump in place. They are built into the pump. You might have to work it as the return line attached to the pump going into the bracket at the bottom of the tank.

Step 7. Undo the wires from the pump and undo the hoses from the pump. Now is the time to get new hose clamps. Remember where the wires go. It will be marked on the new pump as well as the old one. Look for - and + signs on the pump. Mark witch wire went to what.

Step 8. Install is in reversal.

Here's a little advice. Before you seal up the tank. Make sure the pump turns on by jumping terminals 87 and 30 where the relay sits. Have a friend listen for the pump. If all is good, button everything up and enjoy your new fuel pump. It's also a good idea to change the fuel filter located behind the rear passenger wheel in the wheel well area. Sorry that I don't have pictures. But, I think you'll get the idea.

Last edited by somerandomdude; 05-09-2011 at 02:41 PM.
Old 05-09-2011, 01:57 PM

Mein Auto: 525I
Hey Somerandomdude: Thank you very much for all your information, this was exactly what I needed, good advice, worked out great, did everything you mentioned, now just waiting for fuel pump to arrive, Thank You!!! I did find a site on line for super prices on fuel pumps,ordered from treperformance, what a difference in price from original BMW. saved $200.00 if it functions OK.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:31 PM

Good, glad to hear it's working out for you Keep us updated! I picked up a new Bosch unit on Saturday from a local auto parts store. It was 347 dollars for it. Can't complain at least lol.
Old 05-29-2011, 05:38 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 X5 35d
Do you need to pump all fuel out from the tank? I need to do this as well and dealer wants $1600 for this job...

BMWCCA Member # 447308
Old 05-29-2011, 06:59 PM

Just make sure it's not filled up to the top. I did mine with a little less then half of tank left. You will get your hands wet. Also, make sure to clean out any debris out of the holder for the pump and make sure nothing falls in there.
Old 08-07-2012, 11:43 PM

Mein Auto: 318i
Fuel Pump Threaded Collar Ring Removal Tool

If you're having problems removing the threaded collar ring on the fuel pump or fuel level sender unit, we sell a tool to un-tighten the ring for removal and tighten it for install. See our webpage at:

http://mysite.verizon.net/res8nm26/bmwtools/index.html

Thanks.