Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-05-2011, 02:03 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Difference BMW X3 for USA market and European Market

I lilve in Switzerland and I am interested in buying and importing a X3 35i from USA to Switzerland. The price difference is about 35%! (incl. shipment, tax etc.). However I have been informed that the configuration of the carriage, steering, gears etc. for USA market (more comfortable) is quite different in comparison to a X3 made for the european market (sportier). Has anyone an idea or information, if these differences are quite substantial or just marginal.

Many thanks for any feedback.
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2011, 04:54 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
It's not that simple....if a US dealer is found to export a car he loses allocation. You need a USA proof of address and will have to pay all taxes due here. And BMW routinely get "pier reports" - data that tells the US gov when cars are being sent out of the country. The reason they are stringent on this is that switz distributor would have to pay for your warranty and did not sell it. That's something Germany is really strict on, never mind not meeting local emission and spec standards.

Right now Russia will pay 1.5 times what a X5 sells for, if they could get them from USA.

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-05-2011 at 04:59 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:39 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i & 2013 328iX
To add and confirm Glen's :
- You will not get warranty
- what you see is the pre-taxed price most likely which you will end up paying US taxes on top plus import/custom taxes to Europe
- you will not meet the local regulations (emission, some body and feature requirement, etc.), meaning you have to spend green to make it compliant...

on top of that, a car made for Europe is never bad. Quality Control is more stringent in Europe. 80% of the american cars are not allowed in Europe... I lived in Switzerland (6 months Zurich, 6 months Geneva)... quality is great! Don't worry about it...
Old 05-05-2011, 08:18 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
The X3 is assembled in the US and shipped to europe. How does that make the "quality" any better? I seriously doubt that 80% of US built cars are not accepted into Europe either. Even the super critical Japanese never approached that rejection percentage of domestic cars imported to Japan -- and yes there are US domestic cars imported there.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
The X3 is assembled in the US and shipped to europe. How does that make the "quality" any better? I seriously doubt that 80% of US built cars are not accepted into Europe either. Even the super critical Japanese never approached that rejection percentage of domestic cars imported to Japan -- and yes there are US domestic cars imported there.
There are no GM cars in Europe (Only Opel- and that's because it is German engineered and german engined), only a couple model of Chevrolet which Opel sells, No GMC,
There are no Buicks, No Cadillac, only a couple of models of cadillac Sedan. American cars are not driven in Europe, trust me.. have lived in Europe for a decade and in 4 countries (Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Netherlands).
There are absolutely no Acuras, very limited Huyndai, Honda a bit but still limited, what else... mazda, I have only seen a hand full...
Ford is there though very limited and are ONLY the models manufactured in Europe... very different than the crap manufactured in US... have driven both and trust me there's a huge gap!!!

Reasons, american cars have high emissions, too bulky for the narrow and congested roads and streets of Europe, high maintenance costs, high wear and tear compared to European cars.
Also in Europe nobody prefers American or Asian cars and they are not selling well; unless there is fleet program (which is norm in Europe) where employees can choose company cars...) ford is a good bet; again because it is manufactured in Europe.

Last edited by Shaw; 05-05-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaw View Post
There are no GM cars in Europe (Only Opel- and that's because it is German engineered and german engined), only a couple model of Chevrolet which Opel sells, No GMC,
There are no Buicks, No Cadillac, only a couple of models of cadillac Sedan. American cars are not driven in Europe, trust me.. have lived in Europe for a decade and in 4 countries (Germany, Belgium, Switzerland and Netherlands).
There are absolutely no Acuras, very limited Huyndai, Honda a bit but still limited, what else... mazda, I have only seen a hand full...
Ford is there though very limited and are ONLY the models manufactured in Europe... very different than the crap manufactured in US... have driven both and trust me there's a huge gap!!!

Reasons, american cars have high emissions, too bulky for the narrow and congested roads and streets of Europe, high maintenance costs, high wear and tear compared to European cars.
Also in Europe nobody prefers American or Asian cars and they are not selling well; unless there is fleet program (which is norm in Europe) where employees can choose company cars...) ford is a good bet; again because it is manufactured in Europe.
Interesting. I was born in Zurich and while on one of my frequent return trips to visit relatives and friends there was a Lambo and a 69 SS Camaro parked next to each other. Everyone was ogling the Camaro. My aunt explained exactly what you all have stated this is rare because of the extreme costs associated with owning an American vehicle. She drove a Lotus.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-05-2011, 10:34 AM

OK, no american cars in Europe. Thanks for setting me straight! I do have a thought though. Since american cars don't meet european emissions standards, and european cars don't meet american emission standards. Why can't there be a "universal" emission standard that would be applicable across the board? Couple that with a universal "safety" standard and you would be back in the good old days when any european/asian car could be freely imported. Foor for thought. I wonder why Chrysler has gone to the trouble of fitting a euro spec diesel to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.........since you say that no american cars are sold in Europe. I wish that sweet VM turbo diesel was available here.

Last edited by UncleJ; 05-05-2011 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:37 PM

Quote:

I am talking only about a BMW X3!! This should be a european car in my view even if built in USA. Or do you say, that whatever brand, if it is built in USA it is bad quality compared to Europe? This would mean that BMW produces the X3 in South Carolina with 2 different standards: one for the USA market and one for Europe. Do you honestly think it is like that?
Old 05-05-2011, 01:06 PM

Sorry Dylan, the conversation got a bit off track here... I think my reply was mis-interpreted by UncleJ: I never said the quality is better/worse. I said the quality of BMW is great- no matter where it is built, US or EU. So buying it from EU makes no difference in terms of quality.
To back up my argument, I reasoned with the fact that with the American cars-having poorer quality- and Europe being so stringent on high quality cars, doesn't allow import of any low quality cars and that's why you do not see any american cars there. So European cars that are even built outside, must comply to highest levels of quality standards anywhere built specially if they are meant to be imported to Europe.
We provide all the automation solutions for the automotive industry for all the German brands (BMW, M-B, Porche, VW/Audi,...) in most of the world.
The fact that the Xseries factories were relocated to US has to do with the "supply and demand" and not quality... The demand for bigger cars are higher in NA, hence the supply should be closer to the source of demand. However, one key criterion on the German cars is to have the "exact" assembly line with the exact quality measures anywhere in the world and without any quality flaw compared to European standards. Therefore (and going back to my first reply), the quality for German cars (BMW) are the same regardless to the location they are built and no question about that...
So go ahead and buy your dream X3 from the land of chocolates (I strongly challenge Swiss chocolate with Belgian though!!! )

Last edited by Shaw; 05-05-2011 at 01:07 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
OK, no american cars in Europe. Thanks for setting me straight! I do have a thought though. Since american cars don't meet european emissions standards, and european cars don't meet american emission standards. Why can't there be a "universal" emission standard that would be applicable across the board? Couple that with a universal "safety" standard and you would be back in the good old days when any european/asian car could be freely imported. Foor for thought. I wonder why Chrysler has gone to the trouble of fitting a euro spec diesel to the Jeep Grand Cherokee.........since you say that no american cars are sold in Europe. I wish that sweet VM turbo diesel was available here.
Marketing and Sales my friend, Marketing and Sales!
Why go far, when the best example is the good old 220V vs. 110V story?
You think they couldn't harmonise that if they wanted to and not to force everyone to buy from internal markets if they relocated???
I had to sell all my appliances for 1/5th of the price in Europe and now I have to buy everything again because it is 110V!
and the Diesel/Benzine is another dilemma which creates another excellent covering zone... American/Asian cars are really struggling for marketshare in Europe.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:34 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2014 Mazda3 GT
Dylan97, Grüße aus Motor-talk.de

Über Fahrwerk, Lenkung, und Getriebe ist alles gleich. Qualität sollte für alle Fahrzeuge auch gleich sein, aber ich weiß nicht, ob Amerikaner einen Wagen so gut wie die Deutsche bauen können.

US X3s haben kein Sportfahrwerk, nur das normale Fahrwerk und DDC gegen Aufpreis. DDC und Sportlenkung sind nur im "Dynamic Handling Paket" erhältlich. Ich würde "BMW X3 Ordering Guide" in Google suchen für Pakete und Sonderausstattungen. Die BMW USA Webseite hat oft falsche Infos.

Die größten Vorteile sind nur Preis und eine kürzer Wartezeit (zurzeit ca. 6-8 Woche). Wie ich gesagt hab, funktionieren die BMW-Dienste (Assist, ConnectedDrive) nicht in Europa obwohl Navi kein Problem sollte.
Old 05-05-2011, 01:42 PM

Ich stimme mit AzNMpower32. gut gesagt.
Old 05-05-2011, 04:20 PM

Thanks, that puts it all in perspective. Glad to know that my old Alfa was built with the highest european quality standards!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Dylan97, Grüße aus Motor-talk.de

Über Fahrwerk, Lenkung, und Getriebe ist alles gleich. Qualität sollte für alle Fahrzeuge auch gleich sein, aber ich weiß nicht, ob Amerikaner einen Wagen so gut wie die Deutsche bauen können.

US X3s haben kein Sportfahrwerk, nur das normale Fahrwerk und DDC gegen Aufpreis. DDC und Sportlenkung sind nur im "Dynamic Handling Paket" erhältlich. Ich würde "BMW X3 Ordering Guide" in Google suchen für Pakete und Sonderausstattungen. Die BMW USA Webseite hat oft falsche Infos.

Die größten Vorteile sind nur Preis und eine kürzer Wartezeit (zurzeit ca. 6-8 Woche). Wie ich gesagt hab, funktionieren die BMW-Dienste (Assist, ConnectedDrive) nicht in Europa obwohl Navi kein Problem sollte.
Vielen Dank für die Informationen. Ich habe gehört, dass die Fahrwerke beim X3 für den USA Markt über eine weichere Abstimmung verfügen (die Amerikaner mögen es gerne komfortabel) als in Europa (sportliche Abstimmung). Wie sieht du das beim normalen Fahrwerk? Kann es da tatsächlich grosse Unterschiede geben? Kann dies mit DCC irgendwie ausgeglichen werden? Ich möchte dann in der Schweiz nicht mit einer Schaukel herumfahren....

Last edited by dylan97; 05-05-2011 at 11:21 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:40 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 525d 2011
there are other differences too including usa has no auto start-stop function and no prewarm motor heater (standheizung) available.

the usa model does have the orange reflector built into the headlight.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:01 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan97 View Post
Vielen Dank für die Informationen. Ich habe gehört, dass die Fahrwerke beim X3 für den USA Markt über eine weichere Abstimmung verfügen (die Amerikaner mögen es gerne komfortabel) als in Europa (sportliche Abstimmung). Wie sieht du das beim normalen Fahrwerk? Kann es da tatsächlich grosse Unterschiede geben? Kann dies mit DCC irgendwie ausgeglichen werden? Ich möchte dann in der Schweiz nicht mit einer Schaukel herumfahren....
Das Fahrwerk soll für alle Länder gleich sein. Das Serienfahrwerk finde ich zu weich, weicher als in dem X3 oder 3er; ich kann es nicht empfehlen. DDC hab ich nicht probiert weil die Testwagen beim Händler nicht die Ausstattung haben. Ich suche immer noch einen Testwagen damit.
Old 05-06-2011, 08:53 PM
Don't be a hammer

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d
Quote:

That's not true.

Corvettes are sold in Europe, made in the US in Bowling Green, KY.

http://www.corvette-europe.com/?l=en

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...ack-to-europe/
Old 05-07-2011, 07:07 AM

gr, thanks for the threads and info. I had no idea Chev sold so many cars in Europe. I knew that there was a American car presence (else why the diesel in the new JGC) but never really thought about it beyond the Caddie, Vette, pick up truck stuff.
Old 07-08-2011, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: Mercedes
piggyback

Here's a piggy-back for this question. Anybody know the best way/easiest way to import German diesel models into the USA? I know that is is legal, but it sounds like there is a ton of red tape/expense. Any importer recommendations? I was checking out their Deustche site and they are selling 5 and 3 series that are getting 60-70mpg in Germany right now, even x3 that are in the 40s. Even better yet, any way you could to a European delivery program but with a German model?
Old 07-09-2011, 07:34 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by tander View Post
Here's a piggy-back for this question. Anybody know the best way/easiest way to import German diesel models into the USA? I know that is is legal, but it sounds like there is a ton of red tape/expense. Any importer recommendations? I was checking out their Deustche site and they are selling 5 and 3 series that are getting 60-70mpg in Germany right now, even x3 that are in the 40s. Even better yet, any way you could to a European delivery program but with a German model?
It is not possible to import vehicles that do not meet FMVSS standards unless you want to spend considerable expense getting it certified by the EPA, do crash tests, and meet various other requirements. And by considerable expense, I mean millions of dollars.

If it was feasible to import non-US vehicles into the US lots of folks would have already done it by now.

European Delivery is only done on US-spec vehicles and the X3 is made in the US to begin with.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:56 AM

Unfortunately that is the case these days. There are some exceptions - none of which you would fall into (i.e. diplomatic, manufacturer, display only, etc.). Back in the day it was easy to import cars, then it got a bit harder, then really hard when the "Canadian Connection" was ended. Now, virtually impossible. My first Mercedes Diesel was a German car brought back by a returning serviceman and then sold. Lots of them were doing that, buy the car over there at a very attractive price (virtually no tax) drive it for the tour then Uncle Striped Pants would ship it back free. Nice way to make some extra money to buy that great Corvette when you get home.
Old 07-11-2011, 12:10 PM

Mein Auto: X3 on order
[QUOTE=Glen E;6045044]It's not that simple....if a US dealer is found to export a car he loses allocation. You need a USA proof of address and will have to pay all taxes due here. And BMW routinely get "pier reports" - data that tells the US gov when cars are being sent out of the country. The reason they are stringent on this is that switz distributor would have to pay for your warranty and did not sell it. That's something Germany is really strict on, never mind not meeting local emission and spec standards.

Well, it is not all too difficult, CORRECT tough the car needs to be titled in the US, i.e. a US citizen or resident has to purchase it, pay all taxes (unless you live in a state w/o sales tax). At present it is more than likely that Swiss BMW dealers would not honor warranty (that may change) Second, you may not get the 50 year 50K mile service for which you essentially pay for when you buy the car. Though, you are dealing with a used car now and warranties should be honored.

Shipping, duties and some conversion is not that expensive. Emission standards are similar (CA) get in touch with these guys; autozulassung.ch