Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E60 (2004 - 2010)

E60 (2004 - 2010)
BMW 5-Series (E60 chassis) was first seen in the Unites States in the fall of 2003 with a 2004 Model Year designation. The E60 is now available as a 528i, 528xi, 535i, 535xi, 550i and a 535xi sports wagon! -- View the E60 Wiki

Old 05-05-2011, 10:50 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Car
Got New Brakes bc of Squeaking per a SIB

So my warranty is up in a couple weeks, so I complain about everything, mostly just to have them look at everything, who knows, they might find something.

Well they did.

I said the front brakes are squeaking, turns out there is a SIB 34 03 09 for this and I qualified, thus new pads, front and rear

My pads were 6mm for the rear and 7mm for the front.

In part the SIB says:

Depending on the driving conditions, the occasional brake squeak and/or squeal is normal. The condition listed
in this bulletin occurs during all light to moderate brake applications and is caused by contact between the
brake pad wear sensor and the brake rotor/disc. This situation can occur on the front or rear axle brakes.
CAUSE
The geometry of the brake wear sensor, combined with individual driving habits, can result in a particular
wear pattern which causes a squeaking and/or squealing noise whenever the brakes are applied with light
to moderate force.
CORRECTION
Road test the vehicle to determine the source of the noise. If the noise is coming from the brake system,
inspect the brake pad wear sensor of the affected axle. If the sensor is in contact with the rotor/disc, remove
the sensor and drive the vehicle.
If the noise is not eliminated, further diagnosis is required to determine the cause of the noise.
If the noise is eliminated, replace the brake pads and wear sensor of the affected axle.
Measure and record the thickness of each of the brake pads to be replaced. Refer to the
Warranty section of this bulletin for important information regarding the correct usage of
warranty defect codes based on brake pad thickness.

Brake pad thickness which measures between 7.5 mm and 3.8 mm should be claimed using the defect
code below for the brake pad wear sensor noise .

Brake pad thickness which measures 3.7 mm or less must be claimed using the following applicable
BMW Maintenance Program defect code.

Brake pad thickness which measures greater than 7.5 mm will not have a brake pad wear sensor that
contacts the brake disc.

Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2011, 01:46 PM

Mein Auto: '08 535i sport
Nice post. I have been having a squeeking noise much like the conditions noted in the SIB. I'll have to bring it to my SA's attention next time I take my car in. Thanks!!
Old 05-05-2011, 05:05 PM

Mein Auto: 535
My warranty is running out soon too and I was wondering if there was anything else you'd advise mentioning. I have an appt for the injector recall coming up and I plan on bringing up:
Squeal when turning - Car makes a squealing noise when turning into parking space, they haven't been able to reproduce it though as it only happens in the cold.
Plastic trim on steering wheel
Oil sensor gives inconsistent reading - i.e. max one day, idrive says it is below minimum next
Engine hesitates at startup- engine also hesitates off the line
idrive has been laggy recently - possible update needed

Last edited by aapl; 05-05-2011 at 06:11 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:26 PM

Mein Auto: 528xi, w/Spt, Nav, PP, CW
I had new pads replaced on the front and they started squealing whenever the car sat for a short while. After driving a few miles, the squealing stopped.

Its still distracting as well as loud. I think I will take it in to have the Dealer take a look.

Thanks for the post.
Old 05-05-2011, 06:36 PM

Mein Auto: 07 BMW 530i
Nice post. I have squeaking issues also with light braking such as easing thru a drive thru. Was told it was the sensor but warranty or maintenance plan did not cover it since my brake pads were not yet worn enough. I will have to bring up this SIB as I am due for an oil change in the next couple of days. Thanks for the post!
Old 10-05-2012, 03:36 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
47500 miles.

I had oil change done this week along with squeaking front end complaint which got me new front pads as sensors are worn out and pads 4.5mm (SIB 34 03,,,, 09, defect code 3411043900). I thought sway bars/front bushings or something gone loose/bad per previous posts but it looks like brakes making that noise when I turn steep right into garage port. They topped off power steering fluid too. Checked for leaks under engine area.

Also had intermittent below min oil level warning twice this month. They found leaks on "Oil filter housing gasket and oil cooler gasket", replaced them. Fault code 2F9E/Diag code: D1140_B00000000_70_312.

A/C was not cold enough, found Schrader valve leak, recharged after replacing it. Now blowing cold air but weather is getting colder in GA also.

When I stop the car after driving good distance like 20 miles and restart with in 5 - 20 mins, radiator fan or something was making big loud noise. It looks like it went away, keeping an eye on it yet. It may be engine is too hot and system is trying to keep it cool running hard. Sound stays for couple of mins and goes down but not heard today. Since A/C is fixed and better, it may not be an issue now, keeping fingers crossed. Worried something wont damage Engine due to being too hot. United BMW right away said it is normal but ....Global BMW checked thru atleast.

Spark plugs changed.

Complained about battery but they came back said it is good. I felt channel +/- missing clicks and volume button on dash not muting on/off now and then. I think I press them good but signal missing or mind/sense is going bad!

Most of the future maintenance dates looks good now.

Still have 2500 more warranty miles and shall see how it goes.

Switched from United BMW to Global BMW, like their service staff courtesy and attention to customer concerns.
2009 535i BSM/NB/Prem pkg, Sport pkg, comfort access, Navigation, Sport Transmission with Shift Paddles, PDC, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adaptor, Satellite Radio, BSW Stage 1 Speaker upgrade, JBL MS8 DSP, Technic Harness and BMW Individual co-axial center speaker ==> Superb Custom LOGIC 7, New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Route 66 Extended Warranty till 5+yrs:1/26/2018 or 100k miles, Beyern Spartan Chrome Concave Rotary Forged Wheels 18x8.5 ET15, 18x9.5 ET25.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:45 PM

Mein Auto: 535i
on last visit I got steering wheel trim cover 32-34-6-775-300 replaced due to peeling on one edge.
Both times, tried to get prematurely worn leather edge fade but no luck. Global can get it dyed for about 125$s. Hope this info helps!
2009 535i BSM/NB/Prem pkg, Sport pkg, comfort access, Navigation, Sport Transmission with Shift Paddles, PDC, Heated Front Seats, iPod and USB Adaptor, Satellite Radio, BSW Stage 1 Speaker upgrade, JBL MS8 DSP, Technic Harness and BMW Individual co-axial center speaker ==> Superb Custom LOGIC 7, New Michelin Pilot Sport A/S tires! Route 66 Extended Warranty till 5+yrs:1/26/2018 or 100k miles, Beyern Spartan Chrome Concave Rotary Forged Wheels 18x8.5 ET15, 18x9.5 ET25.