Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-05-2011, 07:06 PM

Mein Auto: x3, m35x
Love my new x3 but...

I love my new x3 35i, it's fast, comfortable, big enough for my fam, and gets pretty good mpg. But, I can't drive it hard, the first day I had it I drove hard only on straight roads, I took it on some twisties today, and I was actually a little scared. It leans and the high center of gravity is unlike anything I am used to. This is my first SUV. I have only had cars in the past, current car is an m35x, before it I had a 328xi, gp gxp, g35, eagle talon tsi, 300e, and honda crx. Is this just something I need to get used to? The car probably handles great, I am just used to cars that sit low. Anybody else have the same experience? fyi, I never thought I would buy an suv.

Last edited by kumarg; 05-05-2011 at 07:37 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-05-2011, 07:27 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
yes, it's an SUV that handles well - but still an SUV. Go drive the competition and you'll be more afraid...

RTOM.....
Old 05-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
It is a SAV and there are trade-offs. Surely you knew that before you bought it??

It is not a sports sedan, but it is one of the best handling SAVs, SUVs or Crossovers.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glen E View Post
yes, it's an SUV that handles well - but still an SUV. Go drive the competition and you'll be more afraid...
I got ya. I probably just need to get used to it. The competition was not even close, the infiniti ex35 probably drove most like a car, even compared to the bmw, but is so small it should not be considered. I guess I will have to get used to the high center of gravity. the new X3 is brilliant, just not what I am used to. I just need to have faith in how it handles! I am not used to body lean!
Old 05-05-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
It is a SAV and there are trade-offs. Surely you knew that before you bought it??

It is not a sports sedan, but it is one of the best handling SAVs, SUVs or Crossovers.
I knew it, I would have bought it no matter what because my wife loves bmw and we needed an suv. this car will be her's for the most part.

I just had my way with it this week, and I guess I was expecting more, unrealistically. The 328xi we traded in handled better, but it didn't work for our family. So, the trade off is fair.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:22 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
Did you order the Dynamic Damper Control (included in Dynamic Handling Package)? I hope it makes all the difference in the world, because I drove a standard 35i and it was quite a bit more tippy in the corners than say, an E83. Was not impressed, especially when I'm used to driving my old-hat X3 around the mountain like my hair's on fire and saying "This is unbelievably good!"

Look on the bright side: At least it rides softer over bad pavement than the old X3.

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 05-05-2011 at 08:25 PM.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:29 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i, 2008 X5 4.8
Quote:
+1
If you want to go scare the living sh&8 out of yourself, go drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had one for 11 years & it was so bad that my wife was scared she was going to tip it over. Compared to this, your X3 probably feels like it's on rails....you'll get used to it!
Old 05-05-2011, 09:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Def. all depends on what you compare it to! Coming from owning a Nissan Murano, I could never take a decent bend at 55mph without braking. Test drove the X3 and did it without even flinching. It felt so connected to the road compared to the Murano. It's all in what you are used to!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:00 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Venza
I'm really looking hard at the X3 and just test drove it. It's light years better than my Toyota Venza in every department. The Venza handles like a car but, like the Murano, you can't really take a corner over 55 without braking. I had no inhibitions about doing that on my test drive of the X3.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:15 AM

Thanks for all the input guys, I am getting used to it. I am sure I will love it in a few weeks. The engine really purrs.
Old 05-06-2011, 09:45 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
So here's my 2 cents... as everyone said, coming from a car, it's a big difference going to any SUV/CUV/SAV...no matter what. Coming from a 3-series is a MONUMENTAL difference. I don't care what you drive CUV wise, it's never going to live up to the 3 series feel...so you need to drop that mindset now...the E83 X3 probably came the closest to the 3 series which is why so many "pureists" love it, however good luck on the comfort...it's horrible. AND...in my opinion from another thread on DHP that was painful, even with DHP you will not get anything close to the 3 series or E83 feel...no way no how not gonna happen. If you got it (or for those of you who are looking), go read the thread on DHP that is active right now...bottom line is that it'll tighten up the suspension a bit when driving hard....and yes I mean hard...not on ramps at 55MPH...I can do that in a honda accord....I mean twisty roads where you are dropping the hammer. If you are doing that, DHP will stop some body roll...some....however not like a 3 series where it's on rails. Every CUV is gonna lean a bit if you are dropping the hammer...just take solice in knowing you are behind the wheel of the one that does it better than any other...with or without DHP.

And again I just want to make sure those of you who have not driven DHP know this.... DHP is NOT going to make this X3 feel like the old X3 or a 3 series...please don't think that, buy it and then be disappointed. Do your homework...there are plenty of expert reviews that advise against it too for most people's driving style.
Old 05-06-2011, 10:02 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post
So here's my 2 cents... as everyone said, coming from a car, it's a big difference going to any SUV/CUV/SAV...no matter what. Coming from a 3-series is a MONUMENTAL difference. I don't care what you drive CUV wise, it's never going to live up to the 3 series feel...so you need to drop that mindset now...the E83 X3 probably came the closest to the 3 series which is why so many "pureists" love it, however good luck on the comfort...it's horrible. AND...in my opinion from another thread on DHP that was painful, even with DHP you will not get anything close to the 3 series or E83 feel...no way no how not gonna happen. If you got it (or for those of you who are looking), go read the thread on DHP that is active right now...bottom line is that it'll tighten up the suspension a bit when driving hard....and yes I mean hard...not on ramps at 55MPH...I can do that in a honda accord....I mean twisty roads where you are dropping the hammer. If you are doing that, DHP will stop some body roll...some....however not like a 3 series where it's on rails. Every CUV is gonna lean a bit if you are dropping the hammer...just take solice in knowing you are behind the wheel of the one that does it better than any other...with or without DHP.

And again I just want to make sure those of you who have not driven DHP know this.... DHP is NOT going to make this X3 feel like the old X3 or a 3 series...please don't think that, buy it and then be disappointed. Do your homework...there are plenty of expert reviews that advise against it too for most people's driving style.
X2 - nothing is gonna change a CG that is raised at least a foot - maybe two....

RTOM.....
Old 05-06-2011, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mole7374 View Post

I think most people like me need to tone down expectations a bit. Because it's a bmw, most people me included, have unrealistic expectations. I am starting to enjoy this car now that I don't expect 3 series handling. Glad I didn't get the dhp, probably would have made me expect even more. My wife is actually still kind of upset we got rid of her 328xi, but I think she will grow to like this car. Presently she drives my 2006 m35x all the time now, and I drive the x3, even though this car is for her. I think she will come around though, once she sees the car for what it is.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Retired

One thing I can tell you - it gets much better as you learn the car - I drove about a thousand miles before I started to realize it was a bit more than a normal SUV. Yes, you can tell in a short drive, but as more situations that present themselves over a month or two, and you will develop a real respect for the balance the truck has. ( LOL - in the biz we still call them trucks)

RTOM.....
Old 05-06-2011, 06:35 PM

Quote:
One thing I can tell you - it gets much better as you learn the car - I drove about a thousand miles before I started to realize it was a bit more than a normal SUV. Yes, you can tell in a short drive, but as more situations that present themselves over a month or two, and you will develop a real respect for the balance the truck has. ( LOL - in the biz we still call them trucks)
LOL...I think Glen and I share a brain..every post he has is something I either completely agree with or was thinking about posting...and seems to be the other way too...
Old 05-06-2011, 06:37 PM
Retired

thx - level heads prevail (LOL)

RTOM.....
Old 05-06-2011, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarg View Post
I think most people like me need to tone down expectations a bit. Because it's a bmw, most people me included, have unrealistic expectations. I am starting to enjoy this car now that I don't expect 3 series handling. Glad I didn't get the dhp, probably would have made me expect even more. My wife is actually still kind of upset we got rid of her 328xi, but I think she will grow to like this car. Presently she drives my 2006 m35x all the time now, and I drive the x3, even though this car is for her. I think she will come around though, once she sees the car for what it is.
You know what...those comments right there are probably the most profound I've seen on this board in a while...reason being is that obviously you are an enthusiast (BMW purist) and within a short period of time you have realized what the X3 is all about...BMW bones--2011 practicality ---and a newly developed BMW attitude. To me this is what the new X3 is alll about...the old X3 was about taking a 3 series and strapping on an SUV body...only problem was they needed to make the ride SO HARSH to make it perform like (or almost like) a 3 series. This BMW X3 is all about refinement, sofistication..and "the secret that lies beneath"...what's that secret? 300 horses and 8 speeds on the tranny, and handling that will make your family happy and the road bleed at the same time. I'll admit that the latter feels different than the older X3 and a "traditional" 3 series feel..however once you trust it, you'll trust it! To me this X3 has become as utilitarian as a BMW could ever become...so for what most of us do every day, it does it better than any other...but the secret comes into play when we are alone....and on that winding road...and we open it up, and we smile...that is the new X3.

And BTW...don't agonize at all over the DHP...I seriously did for a few weeks prior to placing my order...it was the single thing I stressed over the most b/c I somehow felt like I was doing myself an injustice by not ordernig it b/c I was deviating from it being a "true BMW"...I really felt like this in the beginning....however after driving it again...and again...I realized that even with DHP it didn't make it a 3 series...or even the older X3..all it did was add a layer control that I never needed in the first place b/c the folks who engineer every X3 know what they are doing slightly better than we do. And BTW...here is the hidden turd with DHP...if you leave it in "normal" mode, the suspension actually goes into "comfort mode", however in Non-DHP cars, the setup is "normal" not comfort... so basically if you don't want a cushy ride with DHP, you need to leave it in sport all the time...so to me that defeats the purpose of the new X3...meaning, let this amazing vehicle do what it does bets...just drive
Old 05-06-2011, 06:58 PM

Quote:
thx - level heads prevail (LOL)
lmao...sometimes I think that "level heads" are exactly what some folks on bimmerfest don't want!
Old 05-06-2011, 07:58 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
There are some great posts in this thread.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 05-12-2011, 06:05 AM

Send a message via AIM to SchwartzBlack Send a message via Yahoo to SchwartzBlack
Mein Auto: 2001 325Ci, 08 Mazda5
Quote:
Originally Posted by kumarg View Post
I got ya. I probably just need to get used to it. The competition was not even close, the infiniti ex35 probably drove most like a car, even compared to the bmw, but is so small it should not be considered. I guess I will have to get used to the high center of gravity. the new X3 is brilliant, just not what I am used to. I just need to have faith in how it handles! I am not used to body lean!
That's why we got the EX35. Traded in a 3 series coupe. The Infiniti's steering feel is lighter and less "connected" but man this car has an awesome suspension setup. It corners with less lean than the low riding 3-series coupe. At least it feels that way. The double wishbone rears make you feel supremely planted.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:27 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Another one that does well through the cones is the XC60, right there with the EX35, but a little more room -- more like the old X3 in size and a 300 hp turbo inline 6 to boot.
Old 05-12-2011, 07:45 PM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Montgomery Mack View Post
+1
If you want to go scare the living sh&8 out of yourself, go drive a Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had one for 11 years & it was so bad that my wife was scared she was going to tip it over. Compared to this, your X3 probably feels like it's on rails....you'll get used to it!

You aint kidding. I had a 2005 JGC (POS) and knew when I put it up on two wheels going around a simple turn at 40 mph that it was time to go. Traded it in at a loss after 9 months of ownership. Never again will I buy one. And that is after owning two previous jeep cherokees that were fantastic.

I have been critical of BMW for many things, but one thing this SUV does well is handle.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-13-2011, 08:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
My turn

All. I have a little over a thousand miles on my standard suspension 35i. Let me give you my insight as this is my first BMW, although my folks both have 3 series and my brother has a 335d.

First of all I drove a first generation X3 and disliked it immensely. It road poorly, was relatively slow, had a cheap interior, etc imho. Now i have had the priviledge of owning over 5o cars in the 36 years that I have had a drivers license so I would label myself as an enthusiast. I currently have in addition to the new X#, which is my daily driver, a 2010 GL350 Bluetec, an 06 Boxster S, and a 2010 CRV.

This new X3 is great with the standard suspension. Yes it leans a little but it is a tenacious handler with a very good ride. I just drove through the hills and dales of Pa. on a return trip to Long Island and I was very impressed with the tremendous combination of handling prowess, long distance comfort, and an overall 27 mpg. For an SAV, SUV, tall wagon,whatever...this is a very accomplished car and BMW has done a great job with it.

I have minor complaints, none of which I will go into becasue it is silly to nitpik the car. All I can say is that if you come out of a 3 series and are actually disappointed with the handling of an X3 then perhaps you bought the wrong genre of transportation and you should stick with a car. No matter what if it is tall you will not have the same sense of handling than if it were not high. I see that everythime I take out the Porsche. However I could never use that Porsche everyday...it would wear me out.
Old 05-17-2011, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: X 3
Question about your new X 3

I have a question for you. Does your X3 have a first aid kit in the compartment in the boot? Did it come with a CD for the Navigation? Does the navigation map include Canada?
Thanks.
Old 05-17-2011, 12:17 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
I will look re the first aid kit but I do not think so. I believe that the navigation is from a CD but have never checked regarding Canada. I have yet to really explore the car as hard as it is to believe considering that I have now had it a month.