Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-07-2011, 05:33 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3
i suppose another question...saw on another thread about the future new engine for 28i.

do you guys think it will be better to wait for the new twinturbo4? or the current 6cyl is better?
Old 05-07-2011, 05:37 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
you can drive yourself crazy with that question - as no one here has driven it but I expect many will have opinions, again based upon their prior experience with 4 cyl's. The BMW people at the New York show says it feels exactly the same, better in torque a bit, except the sound is a bit different. A good clip here from the NYC auto show...

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-07-2011 at 05:40 PM.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:48 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Aside from the fact that inline 6's are smoother than 4's who's to say. With the balance shaft technology now common on 4's it is hard to really tell, but I suspect that the 4's are going to be the wave of the future (like they were in the past during the great fuel crisis - green flags, alternate days for odd even plate numbers -- etc.) across the industry.
Old 05-08-2011, 01:07 PM

Mein Auto: 2009 Venza
Timeline for new turbo 4 for the X3

Does anyone have any clue about when this will happen for the X3? I'm looking forward to purchasing an X3 and was going for the 28 because it's more affordable for me. This won't happen until early 2013 so I'm jealous of all of you guys who are in the midst of purchases right now.

Thanks for a great forum - I'm learning so much from all of you.

Mike Carroll
Old 05-08-2011, 08:57 PM

ha, today went to a dealer to look at these again. casually asked the sales person the price. he said best he can do is sticker/msrp...i walked out shortly.

what is best way to talk down the price on these? i read many ppl got invoice+500~1000?
Old 05-09-2011, 07:31 AM

dc, where in CA are you? There are a plethora of BMW stores in CA and unless you are in the hinterland somewhere there should be several to choose from. Check out Cars.com and you will get a list of internet mgrs at the closest stores you can "blast" your request to. Expect rapid responses with attractive offers! Do your homework first of course and get the invoice price with options (Edmunds, or truecar.com are good sites) so you know what is a good deal and what is dreck. Good luck!
Mike, look on the bright side. When you get your X3 all the bugs will have been worked out of the new model at the new plant with the new workers! Waiting is good sometimes!

Last edited by UncleJ; 05-09-2011 at 07:38 AM.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:35 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Venza
Thanks, UncleJ. Patience is a virtue of which I'm in short supply so this will be a growing experience for me. I'm grateful for forums like these because I will be better prepared for the next automobile experience than I was the last time.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:43 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
Have you thought about the new X1, the new Q3 by Audi, and then there is the Mini cooper Countryman. You can have it ( the mini cooper) the fully loaded with every option available and still get under $34k.

All excellent price point.

If I was starting again I would go for the Mini Cooper Countryman if you are price conscience, but want really nice handling and mpg and lots of options. It is awd btw.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-09-2011, 08:40 AM

thought about it, but i think they will be too small, and not sure when will they come out in the states even. we already think Q5 is abit small compare to X3, so the Q3 will not work for sure.

really looking to finalize purchase by summer...current Honda is near 12 years old, and near the 100k miles mark. last time the service told me i may need new brake pads and tires soon....really dont want to spend these money before i buy the new car.

i been researching on truecar.com, thats why i just walked out that dealership quick...we also have costco membership, so might try that route also.

but honest truth, i think my wife likes the RDX more, but only b/c it means we are being "financially responsible" compare to getting an X3...but ill be the one driving it
Old 05-09-2011, 10:52 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dckang View Post
Been looking for a new car awhile now, and have narrowed down to a few choices...including the new X3 28i and RDX w/AWD. Driven friend's BMW before but never owned one myself, could someone give me an honest opinion on if the X3 is really worth the extra 10-15k compare to the Acura RDX (with similar options)?

I am planning to purchase, not lease (which seem like most people do with BMW), and keep for 8-10 years. I only drive 7k/year, and mostly local.

I have test driven both once, and can definitely say i like the BMW more, but not the extra $. I have looked at other small SUVs too, but BMW and RDX seem to be best value at each price ranges....

Appreciate all feed-backs.

-future X3 owner?
Although there have been some GREAT posts here with VERY GOOD advice, this needs to be a very personal decisn for you and you only. Whenever I see posts like this I think telling your own story is impt b/c it gives others a chance to relate.....so here's mine. Me...I'm a BMW person...always love them, always will...owned a 2001 325ci that I loved to death...and I mean loved. When we had our first kid, we sold the 325 and I bought a Subaru (forester) and immediately fell in love with Subies...totally see why "love" is in their ads...and "joy" in BMW. (on that later) So once we had the subie, my wife got an MDX (pay attention to the pattern here). Me=forester wife=MDX. After my forester lease I decided I wanted another "kid car" so I got an outback. (love it even more)..so I leased that. (I leased b/c I knew there was an end game in question). All the time my wife with her MDX...loved that too by the way. For one kid, both are perfect...subie for short trips, MDX for long, both very safe....subie more family car, MDX more luxury/performance.

BUT THEN....along comes kid number 2 in 2009. (still MDX/outback). We IMMEDIATELY knew we wanted a mini-van. (no flaming please...for multiple kids van's are awesome...trust me) So...we dumped the MDX and BOUGHT a sienna. (love that by the way) The sienna is a long term thing for us... 8-10 years...we wanted to eliminate a car payment and also have something that woudl last...hence the toyota. NOW...for me, I have the outback which comes off of lease this summer....timing is awesome b/c now we got rid of the MDX so there's no luxury/performance car b/c now the van is there....so we have 2 family cars. Now dont' get me wrong....nothing wrong with that, but none of us would be posting here if we didn't believe in a performance/luxury car. So...now with my outback coming off of lease and the new X3 being available, I was VERY interested b/c both my wife and I wanetd to have the van plus a luxury/performance vehicle. I was convinced that I was getting the Q5 until I did the X3 difference event...that sealed the deal for me...done, lights out...period.

So net net my theory is this....with kids, you need a true family car...subies are great so I like the recommendation on the Outback. Honestly if I didn't get an X3 or a Q5, it would be to save money and get an Outback...it's the best thing out there...trust me it really is for the money. However for us, we just wanted 1+1...so net net...it was either going to be Van + Q5, or Van + X3 for luxury/family setup, or "save money and go utilitarian mode" and do Van + Outback. My goal is to keep the X3 for ten years...so I knew with an outback I wouldn't do that....I'd just want somethign nicer...with the X3 I got just that...so I sealed the deal. In a few years we'll have no car payments, and a Van that will last forever that we both love, and an X3 that....well you know the deal...

And oh yea by the way....somewhere in between all of the above I managed to sneak an STI into my garage just b/c.....yea just b/c.... however that can't count towards anything except crazy weekend driving with me in the car by myself or a crazy buddy...so discount that one for now!

I think what you really need to ask yourself is "what do I really need" (need first) and then "what do I really want". If need and want match up without too many conflicts, you have your vehicle. And take everything into account...AWD, Space, Comfort, Luxury...and of course PRICE!!! Bottom line on price is this.... if the BMW price scares you just b/c you don't WANT to spend that much but CAN, then just sit on it...b/c when it comes down to it, if you can really affort 45-48K vs 35-38, then you will probably always see X3's pass you and you'll feel like you did yourself an injustice. If you really are going to stretch your finances and family by spending that extra 10-15K...well family and kids first...no question...do the responsible thing.

For me...I do not like spending the 48K I'm spending...trust me...I hate BMW for that...but I love them for their cars. If I wasn't able to do it, honestly I'd be getting a 2.0Q5 for 5K less or an RDX for 10K less.

just my 2 cents....
Old 05-09-2011, 11:50 AM

Mein Auto: 2008 528i
As a Honda owner, you'd be surprised by the potential issues you'll have to deal with on a first year BMW, and Audi Q5 or Volvo won't be any better. As you know, Honda/Acura products are well engineered and they last a long time. I don't think you'll go wrong with RDX, and the SH-AWD version handles very well. RDX being an older model, you should also get far better deals.

If you want to get X3, just do thorough due diligence. With the types of miles you accumulate, extended warranty will only cover you 6 years (less than 60K). If you plan to keep the car for 10 years, you'd better do more maintenance than what the BMW "free maintenance" offers.

Plus, are you ready for run flat tires and the lack of a spare tire?
Old 05-09-2011, 12:34 PM

mole, good post. Have always thought well of subies since going on an off road trip with crazy nephew (modded CJ5 with 350) up some Rubicon-like tracks only to find at the top of the hill, an Outback with a couple of well dressed bird watchers. Never could figure out how they got there. Had new respect for the subies after that one!
Old 05-09-2011, 12:49 PM

im not familiar with BMW, so when you say "potential issues" and "maintaince/repairs", are we talking about a problem every 6 months? or like a minor repair/issue every month or so?

i was hoping my avg of 7k/yr would reduce the occurances of potential issues....
Old 05-09-2011, 01:38 PM

Do a search and you'll find lots of info. Also, ask Mike Miller at Roundel (technical editor at BMWCCA's publication, mmiller at roundel.org) about things to be aware of if you plan to keep a BMW for a long time.

I can think of a couple things here:

- BMW's 'free maintenance' program gives you oil change every 15K (although you still can get a change annually), and does not cover rear differential or automatic transmission fluid change (BMW says it's lifetime fill).
- BMW's battery has known issues if you only drive short trips.
- The run flat tires can be hard to find if you have a flat on a long trip, and are more expensive to replace. There is not enough space under the cargo floor for a donut spare tire.
- I heard that the new Navigation maps are lousy.

Consumer Reports is a good place to check vehicle reliability issues.
Old 05-09-2011, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMQ View Post
Do a search and you'll find lots of info. Also, ask Mike Miller at Roundel (technical editor at BMWCCA's publication, mmiller at roundel.org) about things to be aware of if you plan to keep a BMW for a long time.

I can think of a couple things here:

- BMW's 'free maintenance' program gives you oil change every 15K (although you still can get a change annually), and does not cover rear differential or automatic transmission fluid change (BMW says it's lifetime fill).
- BMW's battery has known issues if you only drive short trips.
- The run flat tires can be hard to find if you have a flat on a long trip, and are more expensive to replace. There is not enough space under the cargo floor for a donut spare tire.
- I heard that the new Navigation maps are lousy.

Consumer Reports is a good place to check vehicle reliability issues.
This is good advice however don't be too scared.....in my opinion, if the reliability and "drive it and forget it factor" are a top decision thing (like 1st or 2nd), then getting a honda/toyota/subaru/nissan is the way to go....I've owned every one of them and they just run.

I feel however that bimmers are some of the best made cars in the world..however with all the "stuff" we get it's definitely not just drive it and forget it. To TMQs point, I'd do maintenance more often than BMW suggests....and more "types" like auto fluid" etc... I'd negotiate the longer maintenance if you could, or find a 3rd party that is cheaper/longer...no question. Also, try and find someone who does "certified maintenance" rather than having to run to the dealer every time...I have a friend who has a business and he offers the same service (warranty approved) as bimmer only much cheaper. Bimmers can run forever you just need to handle with kid gloves.

I'll disagree on the lousy nav maps though... I spent a bunch of time in the new X3 and I think the maps are better than most out there.....the google maps integration alone is worth it...if you want to see lousy maps check out subaru's
Old 05-10-2011, 01:43 PM

Caveat emptor. due diligence is always your friend.

I had a very brief use of the Nav., but read about issues with the newer maps in the F10 section (i..e, the map data, not the software).
Old 05-11-2011, 08:11 AM

dc, remember if you do not drive much (like 7K miles a year) you are allowed a oil service every 12 months regardless of mileage. Another service that is time based is the brake fluid replacement every two years. Don't miss these just because the mileage isn't high enough.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:43 AM

oh yeah ill make sure i do all those no problem. the regular maintainace im not worried about.

just abit concerned about the random issues - like the battery issue people mentioned. would hate to wake up and not be able to go to work b/c of this....

currently the best price i can get seem to be invoice+1200....and they said navi is mandatory...which i wasnt planning to get.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:13 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Quote:
im not familiar with BMW, so when you say "potential issues" and "maintaince/repairs", are we talking about a problem every 6 months? or like a minor repair/issue every month or so?

i was hoping my avg of 7k/yr would reduce the occurances of potential issues....
If the vehicle is sitting for extended periods, say like a month or so, having it hooked up to a battery tender would solve any battery problems. Battery tenders are not expensive, and many of us that let the vehicle sit use them. For eg. I was away for over 9 weeks last winter, and the car sat on battery tender the entire time. Started right up on my return, zero issues.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 05-11-2011, 09:23 AM

oh no, i would need my car everyday, but for short drives mainly. work is only 2-3 miles from home only...the hills make it seem farther though.

i really dont want to go into the dealer and hear them say i dont drive it enough...
Old 05-11-2011, 09:25 AM

Quote:
oh no, i would need my car everyday, but for short drives mainly. work is only 2-3 miles from home only...the hills make it seem farther though.

i really dont want to go into the dealer and hear them say i dont drive it enough...
Shouldn't be a problem then.
Old 05-11-2011, 10:36 AM

Such short drives can be a problem. If you buy the car, battery tender is your friend.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:01 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
dc, remember if you do not drive much (like 7K miles a year) you are allowed a oil service every 12 months regardless of mileage. Another service that is time based is the brake fluid replacement every two years. Don't miss these just because the mileage isn't high enough.
Uncle J, do you know what the mileage cap is to qualify for the once a year oil change? I only put 10,000 on a year so I had planned on having to pay out of pocket to additional oil changes thinking that at the rate I drive, it would be too long to wait for BMW's recommended oil change.
Old 05-11-2011, 11:28 AM

I think (?) you get an annual oil service in the deal, regardless of mileage accumulated. No mileage cap applies. Is that wrong?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
I think (?) you get an annual oil service in the deal, regardless of mileage accumulated. No mileage cap applies. Is that wrong?
I think that's right....

Hey quick question...speaking of oil changes....I know the X3 doesn't come with a "break in" change...which I really don't like... is everyone planning on doing an "extra" break in oil change, and if so, at how many miles? (I was thinking like 2500 or 3000) And then going forward, how often or how many miles are you going to change the oil. I know that with synthetic once a year is fine, but I like to err on the side of caution and I'm thinking like every 10-12K miles