Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > The MINI Board

The MINI Board
The Mini Cooper Forum

Old 05-06-2011, 05:47 AM
resU deretsigeR

Mein Auto: Leaf Tekna
MINI Cooper SD Review

AROnline posted a good review of the new MINI Cooper SD

This is the first production MINI to share an engine with a BMW. The BMW N47 engine is available in all 4 body styles, Hatch, Convertible, Clubman and Countryman.

http://www.aronline.co.uk/blogs/2011...ini-cooper-sd/

Quote:

The engine is taken straight from the BMW 118d, so is the single-turbo version of the BMW N47 motor. This engine, tantalisingly, is available in much more powerful derivations, not least the ubiquitous twin sequential turbo 204hp version seen in the BMW 123d.

You know how this is going to go: in years to come, BMW engines transplanted into MINI Coopers are going to become THE aftermarket conversion to make (complete with all the driveshaft-bending torque problems that'll come with them). Why will they be tempted to go for more? Because of the brilliance of the new MINI Cooper SD, which is already in showrooms and has just been treated to the attention of a BMW GB press launch.

Don't think a MINI diesel could ever be worthy of the Cooper S badge? Think again. This is one deeply impressive car, a fascinating new addition to the MINI range that shows yet more of the smart thinking that's keeping the MINI brand alive and kicking.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 05-06-2011 at 05:52 AM.
Advertisement
Old 05-06-2011, 08:08 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Mein Auto: 2007 X3 (MT)
It would certainly be worth considering a Cooper SD -- if they'd only offer it here in the States...

X3 w/6-speed & Sport Package:
A sports sedan disguised as an SUV...
Old 05-06-2011, 10:28 AM
resU deretsigeR

It might happen. I've seen rumors that BMW is considering bringing 4-cylinder diesels to the US.

We didn't get a Cooper D because we don't drive enough to justify the extra expense. If we were keeping the car for more than 3 years we would have gotten the diesel.

The SD is a game changer. There is a huge fuel consumption difference between the petrol and diesel Cooper S. It's a BMW engine too. The MINI engine built by BMW isn't bad but it isn't the same as an N47.

Still not sure if I'm ready to pay 21,000 for a Clubman SD. We've got 10 months left on our Cooper lease.

Last edited by Andrew*Debbie; 06-20-2011 at 12:36 AM. Reason: fixed a grammar error
Old 05-06-2011, 10:57 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew*Debbie View Post
It might happen. I've seen rumors that BMW is considering bringing 4-cylinder diesels to the US.

We didn't get a Cooper D because we don't drive enough to justify the extra expense. If we were keeping the car for more than 3 year would have gotten the diesel...
I hope they do introduce it. Commute distances here in the U.S. have steadily increased as suburbia spreads outward from the city centers. I think something like a Cooper SD might find a home here, if it were available.

Diesel-powered vehicles got something of a poor reputation here back in the late 70's and early 80's because of the crummy engines introduced by American auto manufacturers during that period. Most (like that available in many of the GM large sedans of the era), were little more than re-worked gasoline engines, the parts in which were not nearly as stout as they needed to be for diesel duty. In more recent years, pick-ups and large SUV's have made use of purpose-built diesel engines, and they've been relatively successful where sales (and reliability) are concerned. But diesel-powered cars are typically "few and far between" here...

Quote:
... The SD is a game changer. There is a huge fuel consumption difference between the petrol and diesel Cooper S. It's a BMW engine too. The MINI engine built by BMW isn't bad but it isn't the same as an N47...
Those are definitely factors in its favor. The current Cooper S engine (I think it's referred to as the N55 or "Prince" engine) is a good engine, but being a collaborative effort with Peugeot, I think it's lacking in certain design and quality areas.

Quote:
... Still not sure if I'm ready to pay 21,000 for a Clubman SD...
Yeah, I hear you. That's pushing $34-35k with current exchange rates -- which is JCW Clubman territory... Plus the price of diesel here in the States has remained quite a bit above that of gasoline; to make diesel vehicles more attractive in this country, the price of diesel fuel would have to fall more in line with gasoline, like it does in Europe.

Old 05-10-2011, 01:47 AM
resU deretsigeR

SD Clubman in Laser Grey is growing on me.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LG2.jpg
Views:	791
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	277863  
Old 05-10-2011, 09:51 AM
MT = Doppler Shifting

Quote:
SD Clubman in Laser Grey is growing on me.
That looks nice, but I prefer to see one "live" before committing to a color.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:05 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 X3
It wasn't just the crummy US diesels that were a problem back in the day. Virtually everyone, including Volvo, Nissan, Toyota, etc. had their version of the diesel (generally what they sold in their home markets -- emissions controls were not so stringent then -- and they pretty much all were "smokers". Some of the Mercedes were among the worse, I had a 180Db that could lay a smoke screen worthy of a Destroyer going up hills and it was not worn out. The ill-fated GM 350 diesels -- converted from the excellent gas small block 350 -- were nightmares. They were not built for the much higher compression and torque the diesels put out. Had a Oldsmobile 4.5 (cut off 350) diesel that actually was pretty good -- decent mileage and I had no problems with it at all. Not a smoker either. The BMW diesel of those days, the 524TD, used a turbo straight six. I would love to see the diesels back again!

Last edited by UncleJ; 06-19-2011 at 05:14 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:47 AM
resU deretsigeR

My mother had a '79 Peugeot 504 diesel that didn't smoke too badly. Overall it was a surprisingly good car. It was terribly slow going up the moderate hills in Los Angeles though.

Some of the smoke was caused by the poor quality diesel sold in the US. Standards have changed and the diesel sold at the pumps is cleaner now.

All of these older diesels are nothing like a modern common rail turbo diesel. The new motors are quieter and don't smoke at all.
Old 06-26-2011, 08:34 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1! The fuel was awful. Now of course it is all the ULSF stuff and in CA all diesel sold is on a par with the "premium" diesel sold in other states (due to our omnipotent CARB -- which every now and again gets something right).
Old 07-06-2011, 06:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335iS Coupe
I just did Euro Delivery for a 335IS and my fiance ran to the MINI when she saw the "SD" in person. She owns a MINI Cooper S right now and wished we had the "SD" in the states. If the states get it, she will most likely buy one.