Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Old 05-06-2011, 09:09 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i
Dinan on a Leased Car?

I picked up a 550i with the MSport package, Hud, etc. last week. My question is: can I add the Dinan mod without getting grief from the dealer/BMW when I turn the vehicle in? I am coming from a 997 Carrera (non S, leased) that I modded pretty extensively, including the ECU mappings and I was able to return everythjing back to the factory specs pretty easily when I traded the car in for this ride. I understand how the Dinan warranty works and that some dealers will do the install. Just not sure if this is a practical approach for a leased BMW. Any thoughts on this?

BTW, seems like the mods for this car cost quite a bit more than what I paid for on the P car.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 05-06-2011, 10:15 AM
dmoney

Mein Auto: 535i Sport,335is vert
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCal550i View Post
I understand how the Dinan warranty works and that some dealers will do the install. Just not sure if this is a practical approach for a leased BMW. Any thoughts on this?
This answer is very simple. NO, this is not a practical approach to a leased BMW.
And then various other BMWs over the years including M5, 540i, 530ix, 740i Sport
Old 05-06-2011, 10:44 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: F10 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnemer View Post
This answer is very simple. NO, this is not a practical approach to a leased BMW.
not a practical approach to a leased BMW, but possible and fun, if you don't mind the cost, do it.
2008 550i Msport auto
2004 545i sport auto
2003 Z4 3.0 sport auto
2001 530i sport auto
2001 X5 sport auto
1999 740il auto
1996 540i auto
1995 M3 manual
1991 525i auto
1987 325is sport manual
1982 320is sport manual
1981 320is sport manual
1979 320is sport manual
Old 05-06-2011, 11:59 AM

Mein Auto: X5 50i, M3
Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
not a practical approach to a leased BMW, but possible and fun, if you don't mind the cost, do it.
i dont know what fault codes show up, but i know when BMW gives you a software update, sometimes it kicksout Dinan. it is possible that it can be erased without mentioning.. you should talk to someone at Dinan

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Doing the best I can

Mein Auto: 2009 335i Coupe
It absolutely will overwrite the Dinan. But they just re-flash with Dinan after the BMW update. Not a problem.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:51 PM

When Porsche gave me ecu updates they would overwrite whatever enhancement I had previously flashed. I would just get it reflashed. No big deal. I am wondering if when I took the car in for service if BMW saw the Dinan they would flag it and hence void the original warranty on the spot and/or create future issues when I turned the car in. I could always have the car reflashed back to original before turning it in. It's the question that if they knew it was previously flashed what are the consequences. I know that there are some ECU packages where you can do the flash yourself after the vendor initially does it (via a laptop) and return things to stock and then flash back. Does Dinan allow for that approach?

Thanks for the replies. As suggested above I will contact Dinan.
Old 05-06-2011, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
When Porsche gave me ecu updates they would overwrite whatever enhancement I had previously flashed. I would just get it reflashed. No big deal. I am wondering if when I took the car in for service if BMW saw the Dinan they would flag it and hence void the original warranty on the spot and/or create future issues when I turned the car in. I could always have the car reflashed back to original before turning it in. It's the question that if they knew it was previously flashed what are the consequences. I know that there are some ECU packages where you can do the flash yourself after the vendor initially does it (via a laptop) and return things to stock and then flash back. Does Dinan allow for that approach?

Thanks for the replies. As suggested above I will contact Dinan.
Would you post what you find out?
Old 05-06-2011, 04:28 PM
Freude am Fahren

Mein Auto: 99 528iA
BMW dealers install Dinan software; it does not void your BMW warranty.

ECU updates probably clear Dinan, but as the dealer installs Dinan software, it probably isn't a problem. I'm not sure how Dinan deals with BMW's occasional ECU updates, but the dealer will be able to tell you at the time.

Only Dinan dealers can flash the ECU. It's not possible to flash it yourself. It may be that they have a similar system to BMW's; web-based flashing.
'99 540i (grandfather's)

Old 05-06-2011, 09:32 PM
Kaos

Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
The Dinan tune will absolutely void your BMW warranty. However, Dinan covers you for the balance of your 4 year, 50K mile warranty.
Old 05-07-2011, 04:21 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i X drive
I have done this...and even more ironically I just came from a black 997 base carrera black to be specific and although the 550i was fast I wanted more. The Dinan upgrade is whicked and made the car so much more fun. I asked all the questions you are asking with my dealership that I leased the car from and is also my Dinan dealer. When you turn the car in they just reset it to factory specs and slap on the certified preowned tag and put it up for sale. Last BMW lease I turned in they just walked around the car and and had me sign papers and I was on my way...i wouldn't sweat it if you don't mind dropping the change. Honestly with the upgrade its going to be tough to part with this car in 3 yrs.
Old 05-07-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by A*aron View Post
I have done this...and even more ironically I just came from a black 997 base carrera black to be specific and although the 550i was fast I wanted more. The Dinan upgrade is whicked and made the car so much more fun. I asked all the questions you are asking with my dealership that I leased the car from and is also my Dinan dealer. When you turn the car in they just reset it to factory specs and slap on the certified preowned tag and put it up for sale. Last BMW lease I turned in they just walked around the car and and had me sign papers and I was on my way...i wouldn't sweat it if you don't mind dropping the change. Honestly with the upgrade its going to be tough to part with this car in 3 yrs.
Too funny... yeah I definitely want more out of the car. The dealer where I got the car doesn't do Dinan but there is a Dinan shop pretty close to where I live. I stopped by there yesterday afternoon and spoke with the owner. He pretty much said the same thing as you.... "BMW doesn't care, they will just flash it back". I asked him about price but unfortunately I missed the 20% discount by a week. He said he would give me 10% off. Based on your feedback and what the Dinan dealer told me I am pretty sure I will take the plunge. Still seems like alot compared to the 997 flash but it is what it is. Only question is if Dinan will have another sale...

Thanks!

Last edited by SoCal550i; 05-07-2011 at 08:39 AM.
Old 05-07-2011, 09:27 AM

Mein Auto: 11 550i
I would just get it done at BMW / Dinan Dealer. You will have 2 warranties but at least you will have 1 vendor.

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Old 05-07-2011, 02:09 PM

I would do that except that the Dealers that offer Dinan are at least a 90 minute drive each way. That's assuming traffic is reasonable and more than likely it would not be.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:35 PM

I did it!!!

Got the Dinan S1 flash last Friday. I took the plunge by driving to the closest BMW/Dinan dealer approx. 65 miles away to avoid any warranty and lease turn-in issues.

Impressions: Totally Awesome! Driving home, traffic was very heavy so I couldn't get on it much. Also, it takes time for the ECU to adapt. At first it didn't seem like much of a difference but after 75 miles... the car took off. The accelaration/power is impressive. I tried one standing start on a freeway on ramp in Sport mode and I spun the tires, had to let up. Need to use Sport + with traction control. Punching it while going 40 - 60 mph puts me at 100 incredibly fast. Breathtaking.... The HUD can't keep up with the speed... On the road now and can't wait to get back home to do some more testing this weekend.
Old 05-17-2011, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Got the Dinan S1 flash last Friday. I took the plunge by driving to the closest BMW/Dinan dealer approx. 65 miles away to avoid any warranty and lease turn-in issues.

Impressions: Totally Awesome! Driving home, traffic was very heavy so I couldn't get on it much. Also, it takes time for the ECU to adapt. At first it didn't seem like much of a difference but after 75 miles... the car took off. The accelaration/power is impressive. I tried one standing start on a freeway on ramp in Sport mode and I spun the tires, had to let up. Need to use Sport + with traction control. Punching it while going 40 - 60 mph puts me at 100 incredibly fast. Breathtaking.... The HUD can't keep up with the speed... On the road now and can't wait to get back home to do some more testing this weekend.
welcome to the club. can't wait for Dinan exhausts...

2013 E70 X5 50i, Saphirschwarz, Dark Burl Walnut Trim, Multi-contour Seats, Sports Activity Package, Premium Sound, Running Boards

2012 E92 M3, Jerezschwarz, Dinan Lower Control Arm Monoball Kit, Dinan Racing Rear Toe Link, Dinan Front Carbon Fiber Strut Tower Braces, Dinan Stage 1 Suspension, Dinan 3:62 LSD, Dinan Underdrive Pulley Kit, Dinan High Flow Carbon Intake, BPM stage 1 and DCT tunes, Passport 9500ci, LI Dual
Old 05-18-2011, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
welcome to the club. can't wait for Dinan exhausts...
Thanks. Have you heard anything about the exhaust? I am interested too...
Old 05-18-2011, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Thanks. Have you heard anything about the exhaust? I am interested too...
i spoke with Dave at MotorWorksWest yesterday and he told me that they were working on something. this follows a conversation i had with Dinan a week ago: copied below (i told him i would rather stick with Dinan but that eisenmann exhaust looks mean)

Hi Chris,

We too would rather you stick with Dinan. We are working on it now and have tested 6 versions so far trying to find the best sound with the most horsepower. No ETA yet from engineering but are very close.

I would suggest signing up for the DINAN Newsletter as it will have the latest news and product releases. The sign up form is located on the dinancars.com home page on the right hand side.

We have been feeling the love from the Bimmerfest community and we very much appreciate it. What is your screen name?

Thanks,

Brian

Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i (Dinan Stage 2)
I too am interested in the answer to this question. Opinions seem to be all over the map.

In my case, I have a company lease. Granted....it's my family company. However, I'm not paying for the vehicle on a month to month basis.
That being said, I also don't wanted to treat the vehicle poorly, just because I'm not paying for it.

However, I would have no problem throwing down my own personal money on the Dinan stage 1 tune, with the completely understanding that it's money down
the drain at the end of the lease.

I'm just trying to decide on wether or not BMW will frown on it, even if I have the tune done by Classic BMW in Plano, Texas.

Would I still be able to turn in the vehicle at the end of the lease or would I have to purchase the vehicle at that point? That would make my decision very easy.
If I can still return the vehicle, I will be tuning it. If it forces me into a purchase situation, I will not be tuning.

Regardless, the 550i really is a torque-beast! It's a terrific performer, with or without the tune.
Old 08-28-2011, 07:52 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 550i (Dinan Stage 2)
I too am interested in the answer to this question. Opinions seem to be all over the map.

In my case, I have a company lease. Granted....it's my family company. However, I'm not paying for the vehicle on a month to month basis.
That being said, I also don't wanted to treat the vehicle poorly, just because I'm not paying for it.

However, I would have no problem throwing down my own personal money on the Dinan stage 1 tune, with the completely understanding that it's money down
the drain at the end of the lease.

I'm just trying to decide on wether or not BMW will frown on it, even if I have the tune done by Classic BMW in Plano, Texas.

Would I still be able to turn in the vehicle at the end of the lease or would I have to purchase the vehicle at that point? That would make my decision very easy.
If I can still return the vehicle, I will be tuning it. If it forces me into a purchase situation, I will not be tuning.

Regardless, the 550i really is a torque-beast! It's a terrific performer, with or without the tune.
Old 08-29-2011, 07:44 AM

Mein Auto: F10 550i X drive
I was told bymy authorized BMW/Dinan dealer that they will just detune the car when I turn it back in. I may or may not have to pay the 2hrs labor they typically charge.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:05 AM

Mein Auto: 06 G, 11 535xi
I have leased many cars over the years and never had an issue. Think in the end it might just boil down to the relationship you have with your dealer. But thats just my .02. Im still waiting on the software to be released from Dinan on my 11 535xi! They need to hurry up.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:14 AM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by highyo View Post
i spoke with Dave at MotorWorksWest yesterday and he told me that they were working on something. this follows a conversation i had with Dinan a week ago: copied below (i told him i would rather stick with Dinan but that eisenmann exhaust looks mean)

Hi Chris,

We too would rather you stick with Dinan. We are working on it now and have tested 6 versions so far trying to find the best sound with the most horsepower. No ETA yet from engineering but are very close.

I would suggest signing up for the DINAN Newsletter as it will have the latest news and product releases. The sign up form is located on the dinancars.com home page on the right hand side.

We have been feeling the love from the Bimmerfest community and we very much appreciate it. What is your screen name?

Thanks,

Brian

Updated at Bimmerfest East, they've gone through 9 iterations on the exhaust now. There's been a challenge producing a drone-free system.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)
Old 08-29-2011, 10:16 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 35i
I'm in the same boat - leasing, but interested in the Dinan upgrade. Setting aside the warranty issues that I think have been pretty well covered, I have a question more on the purchase of the tune.

What is it that you're actually buying? If you're basically buying a software license, does it matter what car is making use of the license? I ask, because I'm not thrilled about the pospect of dropping $3k for the couple of years remaining on my existing lease, but if I could transfer the software to my next car (assuming I get another BMW TT V8 and that I'd just pay for installation), it would make it a much more palatable proposition.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:19 AM
Merc Convert

Mein Auto: '08 550i Sport
regarding exhausts, does anyone else agree that the 4.4 TT sounds like sh*t, even with exhaust??

2008 550i M Sport Carbon Black on Black 6AT SAT

When in doubt, find row zed.

Last edited by chelseafc; 08-29-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:37 PM
0-60 in 4 secs or less!

Mein Auto: '13 X5M, 650xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by chelseafc View Post
regarding exhausts, does anyone else agree that the 4.4 TT sounds like sh*t, even with exhaust??

It all depends on the system and your likes and dislikes. Jimefam has had a bunch work done on his car which makes it pretty unique. The guys at Dinan claimed exhaust system try #1 sounded like an F1 race car, so Dinan is tuning to make their own unique sound. Personally, I've always liked the deep throaty sounds on AMGs.

2013 X5M ........ 2013 650xi ...... 2011 550xi (ret) 2011 335d (ret)