Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-08-2011, 05:44 AM

Mein Auto: 4W
Is this logical?

Two symptoms that I have noticed on my new i35.

1. The right outside mirror changes (tilts down) it's angle when the shift is put in revers? Is there any reason for this to occur?

2. Is this real, or I'm imagining that the car on some occasions lowers itself down?
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2011, 06:36 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
When your mirror adjuster switch is set to the driver's side, the passenger side mirror tilts down when you reverse to help you see the parking lines better when you park. This is completely normal and is stated in your car manual as well. If you don't what it to tilt down, just switch your mirror adjustment switch to the other side.

I apologize if I got the switch direction wrong but basically if it's tilting now, just switch the adjustment switch to the other side in order to disable to mirror from going down when reversing.

I find this very useful when parking, especially if you don't have cameras on both sides of your car.

Cheers!
SJ
Old 05-08-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
When your mirror adjuster switch is set to the driver's side, the passenger side mirror tilts down when you reverse to help you see the parking lines better when you park. This is completely normal and is stated in your car manual as well. If you don't what it to tilt down, just switch your mirror adjustment switch to the other side.

I apologize if I got the switch direction wrong but basically if it's tilting now, just switch the adjustment switch to the other side in order to disable to mirror from going down when reversing.

I find this very useful when parking, especially if you don't have cameras on both sides of your car.

Cheers!
SJ

That is a great answer and the one that gives me relief. Manuel is so dry to read and I thought is going to make sense by just interacting with the car directly. Obviously, not in this case.

How about car raising its body up and down on some occasions? (I do not have DHP.)
Old 05-08-2011, 07:07 AM

Mein Auto: 2005 Acura RL
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAncel… View Post
That is a great answer and the one that gives me relief. Manuel is so dry to read and I thought is going to make sense by just interacting with the car directly. Obviously, not in this case.

How about car raising its body up and down on some occasions? (I do not have DHP.)
I wasn't too sure about the car raising its body up and down. Even with DHP, it only offers electronic dampers, which, to my knowledge, do not affect the height of the car. Anyone else have an idea? I am still waiting for my car to get produced unfortunately...

SJ.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:28 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
Reading the Manual with any BMW is very good advice. BMWs have lots of features that need explaining, and you will learn some things that you likely will never know by just "fiddling" with the car. It may be "dry" to read, but it is very useful.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:29 AM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
Quote:
Manuel is so dry to read.....

it's not a novel we hope you like to read , it a document that could save your life..Pick it up again and get thru it.... my wife read it twice.

RTOM.....
Old 05-08-2011, 07:42 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
Like they say, "when in doubt -- read the instructions"!
Old 05-08-2011, 07:44 AM
Retired

pretty sure the owner's manual is embedded in the car, thru the display too!

RTOM.....
Old 05-08-2011, 08:24 AM

Mein Auto: 2012 135i E82 MSport
I really don't "get" why ppl don't read the Manual..?? Personally, it's one of the neat things about getting a new car, reading up on all the things you can do. If I don't understand something in the car, I will go to the Manual way before I will ask a question on here.

Besides, reading it often lets you avoid asking seemingly "dumb" questions.
Gone: 2011 X35i, Vermillion Red, MSport.
Gone: 2007 328xiTouring, Barbera Red, Lemon, 6MT.
Gone: 2009 M3 Sedan, Alpine White, Black Novillo, M-DCT.
Gone: 2008 535xi, Alpine White, Black Dakota, MSport.
Long Gone: 11 other BMWs between 1971 and 1986.
Old 05-08-2011, 08:27 AM
Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by No12 View Post
I really don't "get" why ppl don't read the Manual..?? Personally, it's one of the neat things about getting a new car, reading up on all the things you can do. If I don't understand something in the car, I will go to the Manual way before I will ask a question on here.

Besides, reading it often lets you avoid asking seemingly "dumb" questions.
The people that really pi$$ me off on all forums are people who don't search or read and then come her and blatantly asks the question because they are lazy , and in many cases will tell you that. " I don't have time to read", etc...And someone takes up his valuable 3 minutes researching it and never even gets a thank you - welcome to the internet....

RTOM.....

Last edited by Glen E; 05-08-2011 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 AM

Mein Auto: 5
Quote:
Manuel is so dry to read

Pour a couple of beers in him first. That'll loosen him up.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:57 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
I can second that the side mirrow tilt is a great thing... as someone who parallel parks every single day in the city... it really helps you see where the curb is - which naturally helps not to damage your wheels and tires.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:37 AM
Ukemi - that's how I roll

Mein Auto: 2013 Audi S4 2010 MT MCS
People are lazier then you think.

I was trouble shooting a technical problem this morning and asked the radio talent host, " Is the component you are using the silver or black model?" Umm, errr, ummm, I think its silver. Sir there is a big difference between black and silver. Which is it please?

Oh its in the other room i'll have to walk there. How far away is it sir? Ummm about ten feet.

Sir, do you drive a car? Yes, I do. Ok let me know when that happens so I can make sure I am no where near you.

Yes people are just that lazy. He didnt read the manual either

In defense of the OP I usually try to figure it out and then go back and read the manual to fill in the gaps.
2005 GC
2000 Jeep Cherokee
1997 Twin Turbo RX-7
1984 GTI Wolfsburg Edition Neuspeed and more
Old 05-09-2011, 09:39 AM

Mein Auto: (soon to be '11 X3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whispered View Post
I wasn't too sure about the car raising its body up and down. Even with DHP, it only offers electronic dampers, which, to my knowledge, do not affect the height of the car. Anyone else have an idea? I am still waiting for my car to get produced unfortunately...

SJ.
Mirror = yes (put that to bed)

X3 lowering itself down = NO. (unless someone is letting the air out of your tires at a light)
The X3 does not have the ability to lower itself...that is not a function of anything within it's suspension setup...not DHP either. I think you are referencing the X5 setup.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:35 AM

Sorry guys for upsetting you. I usually do read the manuals except this time. Anyway, thank you for your answers to my questions especially because they are all positive.