Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)

F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
The new chapter in the highly successful story of the BMW 5 Series Sedan (F10) and wagon (F11)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 05-09-2011, 06:13 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 422
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
wait for the 2012 model?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoc72 View Post
I have to options for a lease:

Ill gues Im desesperated to get mine early /fall , and avoid price jump/deals
or just to make shure to have it before the snow comes
"Gues"? "Desesperated"? "Shure"?

Arrgh!!!

Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Runon MD1 Runon MD1 is offline
Runon MD1
Location: Rancho Santa Fe, CA
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 422
Send a message via AIM to Runon MD1
Mein Auto: 335i Sedan
Wait for the 2012 model?

Oh...one more thing to be added to the disaster...

I forgot "I have "to" options."

Good grief, man! Wassup?

Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-09-2011, 06:55 PM
jondoc72's Avatar
jondoc72 jondoc72 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 340
Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
not mucho man
__________________
9/11 2012 535i jet black , Nappa oyster- black/anthracite Premium,SAT, premium sound pack, sunshades, HUD, top/side cameras, tech pack,ARS, heated seats, sport pack.

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:09 PM
bodonx's Avatar
bodonx bodonx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by quackbury View Post
Could go either way, depending on what BMWFS does to the MF and residual. They often (not always) sweeten the leasing deals 2-3 months before EOP. Then one month before EOP, the deal gets worse, as they lower the residual. Then 3 months later they really sweeten the deal to clean out the prior year models sitting on dealer lots. But you cannot predict this with any accuracy.

If I plan to lease then might buy the car at the end of the lease (assuming the car behaves), is there any difference buying 2011 and 2012 from financial standpoint?

I think with $1730 option credit, it's pretty good deal to buy 2011 now, ain't it? What do u guys think?
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-09-2011, 07:38 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,561
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
If I plan to lease then might buy the car at the end of the lease (assuming the car behaves), is there any difference buying 2011 and 2012 from financial standpoint?

I think with $1730 option credit, it's pretty good deal to buy 2011 now, ain't it? What do u guys think?
Imagine you had a choice between a 2011 delivered in June and a 2012 delivered in August.

From a depreciation standpoint the 2011 will depreciate more because 3 years from August, the 2012 will be valued as a 3 year old car, and the 2011 will be valued as a 4 year old car even though the age difference is only 2 months. But the lease residual at which you buy the car will be roughly the same.

So those 2 months of earlier ownership cost a whole year of depreciation.

So basically its dumb to buyout a leased car if you bought it just before the model year. On these leases the manufacturer usually eats that increased cost, but if you buy them out then you eat it.

I'm buying my car so for me this is a black and white issue. The only way I would buy a 2011 550i is if its used. Otherwise the depreciation from now until August will be $20,000 or $7k a month. You'd have to be really lose with your finances to buy a car at this stage of the year. If you are just doing a 3 year lease and walk, then go for it - let BMW take the hit.

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 05-09-2011 at 07:40 PM.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:11 PM
bodonx's Avatar
bodonx bodonx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Thanks for the input.

If I am not mistaken, buying out price at the end of a lease is negotiable. I don't need to pay the residual value and can still haggle down depending on the used "market" price at that time.

Is this right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN75 View Post
Imagine you had a choice between a 2011 delivered in June and a 2012 delivered in August.

From a depreciation standpoint the 2011 will depreciate more because 3 years from August, the 2012 will be valued as a 3 year old car, and the 2011 will be valued as a 4 year old car even though the age difference is only 2 months. But the lease residual at which you buy the car will be roughly the same.

So those 2 months of earlier ownership cost a whole year of depreciation.

So basically its dumb to buyout a leased car if you bought it just before the model year. On these leases the manufacturer usually eats that increased cost, but if you buy them out then you eat it.

I'm buying my car so for me this is a black and white issue. The only way I would buy a 2011 550i is if its used. Otherwise the depreciation from now until August will be $20,000 or $7k a month. You'd have to be really lose with your finances to buy a car at this stage of the year. If you are just doing a 3 year lease and walk, then go for it - let BMW take the hit.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-09-2011, 08:13 PM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,561
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
Thanks for the input.

If I am not mistaken, buying out price at the end of a lease is negotiable. I don't need to pay the residual value and can still haggle down depending on the used "market" price at that time.

Is this right?
I wouldn't count on it. Sometimes they do and sometimes they don't.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-10-2011, 06:47 AM
a72 a72 is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 89
Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 530i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN75 View Post
Imagine you had a choice between a 2011 delivered in June and a 2012 delivered in August.

From a depreciation standpoint the 2011 will depreciate more because 3 years from August, the 2012 will be valued as a 3 year old car, and the 2011 will be valued as a 4 year old car even though the age difference is only 2 months. But the lease residual at which you buy the car will be roughly the same.

So those 2 months of earlier ownership cost a whole year of depreciation.

So basically its dumb to buyout a leased car if you bought it just before the model year. On these leases the manufacturer usually eats that increased cost, but if you buy them out then you eat it.

I'm buying my car so for me this is a black and white issue. The only way I would buy a 2011 550i is if its used. Otherwise the depreciation from now until August will be $20,000 or $7k a month. You'd have to be really lose with your finances to buy a car at this stage of the year. If you are just doing a 3 year lease and walk, then go for it - let BMW take the hit.
It may or may not be dumb to buyout a leased car just before model year, however buying a car straight out prior to model year makes no difference on the cost of ownership if you keep the car a few years - i.e 5yrs. The value saved by purchasing the car right at the end of the model year actually equates to the additional depreciation loss when you trade/sell the car at the end of ownership. So the decision from a financial aspect is do you wish to spend the loss now or later. The only possible exception is if the model gen changes and that's happened. Usually I like to spend less money up front.
__________________
2011 550i xdrive Carbon Black, Black Leather, Premium 2, Cold Weather, Comfort Access, MSport, Sports Trans, BMW Apps, 3M Paint Protection, Dinan Stage 2 Performance Boost

Sold 2006 530i Jet Black Paint, Black Leather Interior, Premium Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Satellite Radio, Navigation
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-10-2011, 07:54 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,561
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by a72 View Post
It may or may not be dumb to buyout a leased car just before model year, however buying a car straight out prior to model year makes no difference on the cost of ownership if you keep the car a few years - i.e 5yrs. The value saved by purchasing the car right at the end of the model year actually equates to the additional depreciation loss when you trade/sell the car at the end of ownership. So the decision from a financial aspect is do you wish to spend the loss now or later. The only possible exception is if the model gen changes and that's happened. Usually I like to spend less money up front.
Yes, but to get this benefit you have to keep the car at least 5 years, and more likely 6 or 7 before people care purely about mileage and not model year.

If you are keeping car 4 years, you will take a hit, because, for instance, people today perceive 2007 cars to be out of warranty even though it is technically possible for a 2007 to be under warranty until as late as January or February. There is a big price diff between 2007s and 2008s with the same mileage.

BTW I am not against buying a car late in the year. Usually if you buy off the lot, during post season close-out you get some great cash deals.

Last edited by Stealth.Pilot; 05-10-2011 at 07:58 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-10-2011, 03:32 PM
jondoc72's Avatar
jondoc72 jondoc72 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 340
Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
is it wise to lease in chicago??
it seems that you have to pay the tax for the full price of the car , and even if you plan to purchase at the end you need to pay full tax again
chicago members please give your experience
__________________
9/11 2012 535i jet black , Nappa oyster- black/anthracite Premium,SAT, premium sound pack, sunshades, HUD, top/side cameras, tech pack,ARS, heated seats, sport pack.

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-12-2011, 03:41 AM
NJ_BMW_535XI NJ_BMW_535XI is offline
Registered User
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 44
Mein Auto: 535 XI
I would wait for the 2012 the vibration issue in the steering wheel is a pain. I am dealing with that and it is no fun.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-12-2011, 05:15 AM
BobRBob's Avatar
BobRBob BobRBob is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Toronto, Canada
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 585
Mein Auto: 2011 528i
Quote:
Originally Posted by BATMAN75 View Post
I'd be surprised if they increased the price. The 5 series is already the most expensive car in this class if you compare it to E-Class, XF, A6, and M37/56. More than 5k above nearest competitor. And there will be 2 new entrants in 2012 (new Audi and Lexus competitors) plus a facelifted and very stunning Jag XF. They will not gain revenue if they raise price when they are already 10% above everyone else.
Currency fluctuations are not brand specific. The same forces apply to the competition as well. A falling US $ will eventually lead to price increases in imported goods. There's really no way around it unless you expect foreign suppliers to lose money in the US market. Inflation is coming.
__________________
Current BMW
2011 BMW 528i
Cashmere Silver/Black Dakota
Ash wood trim
Sport Package
Premium Package
Nav
Premium Sound/Sirius
Comfort Seats



Prior BMWs
2001 530i Sport (deceased)
Cosmos Black

Other
2005 Subaru Outback 2.5XT
1977 Corvette 383 Stroker
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-12-2011, 05:23 AM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is offline
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,371
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoc72 View Post
is it wise to lease in chicago??
it seems that you have to pay the tax for the full price of the car , and even if you plan to purchase at the end you need to pay full tax again
chicago members please give your experience
There is no incentive to purchase the car after the lease is up in Chicago. You still have to pay tax on the purchase price of the car up front, but that's just the way it is in Illinois. That is why they invented the Owners Choice program.
__________________
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-12-2011, 05:32 AM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,021
Mein Auto: 11 550i
The steering issues have been fixed. In June they will announce changes for model year 2012.
__________________
04 Successfully lobbied BMW NA and BMW FS to prohibit dealers from using residual values based upon Euro Delivery MSRP and to use US MSRP saving BMW Enthusiasts several thousand dollars on each lease

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-12-2011, 06:03 AM
jondoc72's Avatar
jondoc72 jondoc72 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: orlando
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Posts: 340
Mein Auto: 2012 535i/2009 x5
Owners Choice program?? can someone give the 5cents on this
__________________
9/11 2012 535i jet black , Nappa oyster- black/anthracite Premium,SAT, premium sound pack, sunshades, HUD, top/side cameras, tech pack,ARS, heated seats, sport pack.

2008 328i dark graphite ,cold weather pack,USB/ ipod/black leatherette SOLD
hers: 2009 X5 alpine white, dakota tobbaco leather,sport, DHP
premium pack
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-12-2011, 06:53 AM
bhaas bhaas is offline
Registered User
Location: Boston,Ma
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 19
Mein Auto: 2009 BMW 535ix
2012 Models

I'm considering leasing either a 2011 or 2012 535 ix with M package. I don't like the cinnamon brown interior and was wondering if there is any chance they might make the saddle brown available on this model for 2012.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-12-2011, 07:01 AM
07X3platinum's Avatar
07X3platinum 07X3platinum is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Chicago
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 356
Mein Auto: 2012 E550 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhaas View Post
I'm considering leasing either a 2011 or 2012 535 ix with M package. I don't like the cinnamon brown interior and was wondering if there is any chance they might make the saddle brown available on this model for 2012.
I'm with you. I normally love brown interiors, but I hate the Cinnamon brown color. Ironically, in Europe and other countries you can get Saddle Brown on the F10, but in the US we're stuck with Cinnamon.
__________________
1999 Z3 Coupe
2007 X3
2010 528i
2011 328i Convert
2012 E550 4Matic
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-12-2011, 07:04 AM
Me530's Avatar
Me530 Me530 is offline
Happily Driving
Location: Illinois
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Posts: 5,371
Mein Auto: 2014 550i M Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by jondoc72 View Post
Owners Choice program?? can someone give the 5cents on this
The best person to describe it to you would be your dealer. It is essentially a balloon payment loan with a pre-arranged buyback price in the contract. Your name goes on the title instead of BMW FS and hence if you buy the car at the end of the term it is simply a matter of making or refinancing the balloon amount. If you don't want to buy the car BMW will buy it back from you at the contract price. So it works a lot like a lease but it isn't actually a lease.
__________________
2014 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2014
2013 X3 35i, Dealer Delivery July 2012

Gone, but not forgotten:
2006 530i
, European Delivery June 2005
2008 335i Coupe 6MT, PCD November 2007
2011 550i M Sport, European Delivery May 2011


BMWCCA #350568
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:06 AM
Crmgr Crmgr is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Brunswick Hills Ohio
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 471
Mein Auto: 2008 535XI
I also believe there could be some shared liability at lease end. If the car is worth more then the stated buy back price you keep the difference, if worth less you pay the difference. Not a fan of this type of program.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-12-2011, 08:18 AM
Needsdecaf's Avatar
Needsdecaf Needsdecaf is offline
Everything's Bigger in TX
Location: The Woodlands, TX
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 7,106
Mein Auto: 2007 MDX
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ_BMW_535XI View Post
I would wait for the 2012 the vibration issue in the steering wheel is a pain. I am dealing with that and it is no fun.
What vibration in the steering wheel issue? I haven't heard any reports of this aside from yours?
__________________
2011 535i
Sophisto Grau / Oyster - Black Nappa, Anthracite Wood Gone but not forgotten.

Heaven is where the police are British, the cooks are French, the cars are German, the lovers are Italian and it is all organised by the Swiss.

Hell is where the police are German, the cooks are English, the cars are French, the lovers are Swiss, and it is all organised by the Italians
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Stealth.Pilot's Avatar
Stealth.Pilot Stealth.Pilot is offline
The Driver
Location: Florida
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Posts: 4,561
Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobRBob View Post
Currency fluctuations are not brand specific. The same forces apply to the competition as well. A falling US $ will eventually lead to price increases in imported goods. There's really no way around it unless you expect foreign suppliers to lose money in the US market. Inflation is coming.
I don't know. USD has been stable against Yen and strengthened against pound. Plus these car manufacturers are increasingly globalizing production to stabilize currency pressures.

Lexus has said the fourth generation GS will priced similar to current model. I can't imagine Infiniti or Jag raising price for 2012 models since both want to boost sales. And then there's a resurgent Cadillac.

I see these 4 brands as a source of price pressure.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-12-2011, 11:04 AM
bodonx's Avatar
bodonx bodonx is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: LA
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 455
Mein Auto: 2014 F10 M5 CP
Quote:
Originally Posted by pharding View Post
The steering issues have been fixed. In June they will announce changes for model year 2012.
When was it fixed? March 2011 build or 2012 model?

Last edited by bodonx; 05-12-2011 at 11:41 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-12-2011, 11:59 AM
EvolutionTheory's Avatar
EvolutionTheory EvolutionTheory is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Southern California
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 170
Mein Auto: 2004 325i
Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
What vibration in the steering wheel issue? I haven't heard any reports of this aside from yours?
I have read many on here and on 5Post. Maybe a search? *Not sarcasm*
__________________
  • Planned: 2012 Space Gray 535i xDrive ///M Sport.
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-12-2011, 09:47 PM
yogi799 yogi799 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Ontario
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 1,231
Mein Auto: '11 535i, '99 328i retd
My rep told me they perform fixes all the time (when needed) to all new models coming out of the factory. Unless he's lying, it makes perfect sense. If a fix is available, why wait till September to start implementing it and in the meantime consciously keep producing flawed cars which will end up costing them more in warranty repairs? Makes no sense. The rep's version seems correct.
__________________
2011 535i F10 delivered
1999 328i E46 retired



LOGMYMPG sponsored by ckvideo.ca
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-13-2011, 02:08 AM
pharding pharding is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: Somewhere
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Posts: 3,021
Mein Auto: 11 550i
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodonx View Post
Thanks for the input.

If I am not mistaken, buying out price at the end of a lease is negotiable. I don't need to pay the residual value and can still haggle down depending on the used "market" price at that time.

Is this right?
They only negotiate the price at that point if demand is soft. It all depends on their needs at that time. Obviously they do not like to do this because it undermines the process.
__________________
04 Successfully lobbied BMW NA and BMW FS to prohibit dealers from using residual values based upon Euro Delivery MSRP and to use US MSRP saving BMW Enthusiasts several thousand dollars on each lease

14 550i Euro Del
14 X3 2.8i
11 550i Euro Del, Retired
08 550i Euro Del, Retired
06 330i Euro Del, Retired
04 545i Euro Del, Retired
01 530i Euro Del, Retired
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
2012 5 order new


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > F10 / F11 (2011 - Current)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:46 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2011 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms