Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-08-2011, 12:42 PM

Mein Auto: 328 xi 2008
Key Fob battery

My car beeped showing a sign which meant battery needs to be replaced. I opened the key fob and found a panasonic cr2032 battery. Bought an Energizer cr2032 and installed it. Key fob working fine. The only problem is - cr2032 is not rechargable. You can cause battery leakage and damage to keyfob if you place it in ignition lock since placing the keyfob in the ignition lock recharges the battery.

Any idea what's the model # for rechargaeable key fob battery? Mine is 2008 328xi coupe with comfort access.
Advertisement
Old 05-08-2011, 01:27 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
If you have comfort access, the key fob slot does NOT charge the battery so there is no danger of putting the fob in the slot (but there is no reason to do this so I'm not sure you would want to). You can't get a rechargeable battery in that size anyway, and even if you could the car won't charge it.
Old 05-08-2011, 02:56 PM

@thunder dump - thanks for the reply. My user manual says the keyfob is equipped with a rechargeable battery and it is automatically recharged when it is placed in the ignition lock. It does also say that in cars with convenient access, the key fob comes with a replaceable battery. I couldn't find anywhere in the user manual saying my car won't charge the key fob if placed in the ignition lock. Even though having a replaceable battery and what you said, kind of makes sense, I'll double check with the dealer.
Old 05-08-2011, 03:52 PM
bimmerfest Supporting Member

Mein Auto: 2011 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshaheb View Post
@thunder dump - thanks for the reply. My user manual says the keyfob is equipped with a rechargeable battery and it is automatically recharged when it is placed in the ignition lock. It does also say that in cars with convenient access, the key fob comes with a replaceable battery. I couldn't find anywhere in the user manual saying my car won't charge the key fob if placed in the ignition lock. Even though having a replaceable battery and what you said, kind of makes sense, I'll double check with the dealer.
There's really nothing to double-check. As you said, the manual says rechargeable battery except with CA, then it's replaceable. That means there is no rechargeable battery for the CA fob. All of us who own (or have owned) the car know this as fact.

2014 535i Individual | Azurite Black/Amaro Brown Merino | Premium | Cold | PDC | Rear Camera | Anthracite Hdr
Prior: 2011 535i AT | Black Sapphire/Cinnamon | Premium | Heated Sts | Nav | Sirius | Anthracite Hdr & Trim
Prior: 2008 335i 6MT Sedan | Black Sapphire/Terra Leather | Premium | Cold | CA | OEM Alarm
Prior: 2005 330i 6MT | Black Sapphire/Sand Leather | Premium | Cold | UGO | OEM Alarm
Old 05-08-2011, 03:58 PM
Flying monkey herder

Mein Auto: Daihatsu Terrios
Quote:
Originally Posted by markl53 View Post
There's really nothing to double-check. As you said, the manual says rechargeable battery except with CA, then it's replaceable. That means there is no rechargeable battery for the CA fob. All of us who own (or have owned) the car know this as fact.
+1

the CA key does not have the induction charging circuit, so there's no way for the key to even attempt to charge a cr2032 cell. just replace it, nothing to worry about.
the dealer may be even more clueless, they often tell people to put their CA keys into the dash to charge even though they are NOT rechargeable.
Past: 2010 335xi ZMP/ZCW/ZPP/PPK/PE
Present: 2013 335i 6MT ZMM/ZDH/ZTP/3AG/494/508
Current Homeland Threat Level:
Old 05-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Thanks guys for your input. This forum is great.
Old 05-08-2011, 05:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
While there is normally no reason to insert the CA fob into the dash slot, it is a good idea to do this immediately prior to service so that the fob will be updated. Otherwise, simply replace the CR2032 every 2~3 years and everything should be fine.

Tom
Old 05-08-2011, 06:29 PM
Tastes like chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom K. View Post
While there is normally no reason to insert the CA fob into the dash slot, it is a good idea to do this immediately prior to service so that the fob will be updated. Otherwise, simply replace the CR2032 every 2~3 years and everything should be fine.

Tom
The fob is updated every time you start the car when it does the handshake with the computer. Last time I brought my car in for service I did *not* put it in the slot (and it hadn't been in the slot since the last service almost a year prior) and I saw the printout from the dealer's computer showed my current mileage being what it was when I started my car up and left the house (actual mileage was about 20 miles more since I live about 20 miles from the dealership).

Likewise, settings (radio, seats, etc) are "saved" to the fob when you press the lock button.
Old 05-08-2011, 07:18 PM

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
Likewise, settings (radio, seats, etc) are "saved" to the fob when you press the lock button.
If you have comfort access, I assume those settings are saved to the fob when you put your hand on the door handle to lock the car (instead of using the fob to lock)?
Old 05-08-2011, 08:04 PM
*** Team America ***

Mein Auto: 335i
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rajshaheb View Post
With Comfort Access the KEY fob has a "User Replaceable Batterry" w/o CA it does not and when battery dies one must buy entire new KEY FOB...
Old 05-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Tastes like chicken

Quote:
Originally Posted by caesarp View Post
If you have comfort access, I assume those settings are saved to the fob when you put your hand on the door handle to lock the car (instead of using the fob to lock)?
Yes, same thing. When the car locks, it saves the data to the corresponding fob. That's why if you get in your car with one fob, adjust things the way you like it, then get out and get back in with the second fob in your pocket and adjust the settings, all of your first adjustments will not have been saved to the first fob. Think of the lock button like the "save" function on most computer programs. Make your changes, then press lock to save them or you'll lose them.
Old 05-09-2011, 08:54 AM
Ray

Mein Auto: bmw 320d
Hi all, when i bought my 320 the salesman said it had a rechargeable battery in the key fobs. so every few week i swap key fob, to keep batteries charged. Looks like i have been wasting my time. How do you set your fob to comfort access.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:01 AM

Mein Auto: '07 328iT.'13 Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrad View Post
Hi all, when i bought my 320 the salesman said it had a rechargeable battery in the key fobs. so every few week i swap key fob, to keep batteries charged. Looks like i have been wasting my time. How do you set your fob to comfort access.
Comfort Access isn't a setting - it's an option - $500 in the US for the 1 & 3 series, $1000 for the 5 series). Check your owner's manual for more info (it may be listed under "Convenient Access").

Tom
Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 AM

Mein Auto: 328i xdrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by pigrad View Post
You can tell if you have comfort access if you have little ridges on the outside door handle where your thumb would naturally sit on top of the handle as you open the door.

Those ridges are what you touch to unlock/lock your car if you have comfort access.

If you don't have those ridges, you don't have it.