Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)

E36 /7 Z3 (1996-2002)
E36/7 Z3 roadster and coupe talk with our gurus here.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:44 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2004 Z4 2.5i
Question Z4 - What is this leak?

Happy Mother's Day!

I was under my car today and saw this (see pics.) I was under the front bumper, head first for reference. Can anyone tell me what this leak might be?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	leak1.JPG
Views:	387
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	277709   Click image for larger version

Name:	leak2.JPG
Views:	348
Size:	205.3 KB
ID:	277710  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive in a pretty, well-preserved body. Rather you should skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and proclaiming loudly, "Wow, what a ride!"" Unknown
Ads by Google
Old 05-08-2011, 01:52 PM

Mein Auto: 97 White 328iC
Judging by the location and color, I'm guessing either oil and front crankshaft seal, or coolant and water pump or thermostat housing. Just a guess though.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:10 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
Looks like water pump. There is a weep hole in the bottom of the water pump . When the water pump is going bad water will leak out of this weep hole. Good luck.
Old 05-09-2011, 04:22 AM

Mein Auto: 2003 Z4 3.0i
+1 on the water pump. Judging by the buildup in the leak area (white / yellow substance), its coolant for sure. Water pumps are a known issue on the M54s. Its a cheap fix if you take care of it now.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: Z4
Just curious whats consider a cheap fix ? replace the pump right before the engine overheats ? is that a diy or not really ?
Old 05-09-2011, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsutoratosu View Post
Just curious whats consider a cheap fix ? replace the pump right before the engine overheats ? is that a diy or not really ?
Yeah, the water pump/cooling system is very DIY-able. I haven't seen a Z4 specific guide, but the Z4 is very similar to the E46 chasis so any of those guides should work.
Old 05-09-2011, 07:00 PM

It should be a 2 hr job with no special tools required
Old 05-09-2011, 07:23 PM

Now see, the last post I saw about changing the water pump said I had to jack the engine up 10mm to get the pump out thanks to the brilliant engineers in Germany. Bruce had some excellent links, too. Geez. I thought I was going to get my feet wet on the DIY stuff with polishing my headlights and an oil change.

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention to arrive in a pretty, well-preserved body. Rather you should skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and proclaiming loudly, "Wow, what a ride!"" Unknown
Old 05-09-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wag-zhp View Post
When it absolutely, positively, has to be destroyed overnight! OohRaah!!!
U. S. M. C.
Semper Fidelis.

Whoo hoo! OohRaah!!

Old 05-09-2011, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraM View Post
Whoo hoo! OohRaah!!
LOL

I say get your feet wet with all three DIYs. Just plan for a long weekend. If you are going to replace the water pump, you have to take several of the cooling system components off to gain access to the pump, so you should go ahead and do the whole cooling system overhaul. (If the water pump is failing, chances are the thermostat and expansion tank are not far behind...)

Oh, and surfing around on the web a little, it looks like you may be right in that you have to unbolt the left motor mount and raise the engine a little to get the water pump out... Brilliant
Old 05-11-2011, 01:49 PM

Parts List?

So I've been trying to come up with a list of replacement parts I'd need. This is where I am:

Ribbed V-Belt - Main Drive 11287509520
Thermostat Housing with Thermostat 11537509227
Thermostat gasker 11537509357
RMFD Water Pump 11517527910 - that was on the site. What kinds of water pump should i get? Graf? Stewart?
O-Ring 11511711484
Expansion Tank 17117573751
Ribbed V-Belt - Air Conditioning
Water Hose 17127514404
Water Hose 17127514406
Temperature Sensor 13621433077
Expansion tank Levelling switch 17137553919

What else do I need? Any special tools? I have ramps and I can borrow a jack. I also have metric wrenches from 8mm to 18mm.

Thanks!!

Old 05-11-2011, 07:12 PM
BruceJ

Mein Auto: Z4 Si, 330i
Quote:
So I've been trying to come up with a list of replacement parts I'd need. This is where I am:

Ribbed V-Belt - Main Drive 11287509520
Thermostat Housing with Thermostat 11537509227
Thermostat gasker 11537509357
RMFD Water Pump 11517527910 - that was on the site. What kinds of water pump should i get? Graf? Stewart?
O-Ring 11511711484
Expansion Tank 17117573751
Ribbed V-Belt - Air Conditioning
Water Hose 17127514404
Water Hose 17127514406
Temperature Sensor 13621433077
Expansion tank Levelling switch 17137553919

What else do I need? Any special tools? I have ramps and I can borrow a jack. I also have metric wrenches from 8mm to 18mm.
Thanks!!
If you have the electric fan (pretty sure you do, pls look) vice the clutch driven one that sits on the water pump pulley then you should not need any special tools.

ECS Tuning (http://www.ecstuning.com/), Autohaus Az (http://www.autohausaz.com/index.html), Pelican (http://www.pelicanparts.com/index.htm) are great places to get parts from. I would also check Tisher(getbmwparts.com). Shipping may make a difference. You may end up with several options for water pumps and thermostat housings. It is not necessary to buy BMW OEM parts. There is no expectation of quality vice any other part.

The Aluminum thermostat housing is a hot item right now, but I think its b/o at ECS. When cost is not a killer I will spend more for New, vice rebuilt though. You def do not want another BMW Plastic impeller pump.

Tools - Whoo - tools can be a bear, First, if you dont have a tool box get something. Be prepared to spend 50-200 on some basic tools if you dont have them already. Sometimes the best, most economical, way is to get sets from sears, lowes, home depot.
You may not use all of this on this job but you will use them eventually. Or you can just use the guy cop-out, " but honey, we need these tools", let me know how that works, lol... If you are trying to drill it down, you will need to scour the DIY's for specific tools used.
A common Toolbox at a minimum -

1. A set of regular metric sockets(3/8" drive, 8-18mm should do)
2. A set of deep well metric sockets (same drive & sizes) Optional if you get #4 instead, but nice to have if you keep working on the car.
3. A 3/8" drive ratchet
4. Ratchet extensions, 3/8" drive - I think they come 1.5 in, 3 in, and 6 in lengths. The 1.5 and 3 should do.
5. 3/8" universal joint
6. A 24 in, 3/8" drive breaker bar. It does exactly what it sounds like. when you initally need to get bolts loose and the regular ratchet does not give you enough Torque.
7. Set of metric combo (box and open end) wrenches
8. Hammer - sooner or later you have to hit something. Just a regular nail type will do or you can get a ball peen
9. Set of Metric Allen wrenches
10. Set of Torx wrenches
11. later maybe a set of Torx sockets, 3/8" drive
12. Screwdrivers, phillips and Flathead Blade. There are at least two common sizes of each.
13. Adjustable wrenches - there are about 3 common sizes that go up to approx 12" in range. get all.
14. Slip joint Pliers - some of the newer autofit (squeeze the handle and they conform) are nice.
15. Needle nose pliers.
16. Inspection mirror on extending handle. - for stuff you cant see any other way
17. Magnet on an extending handle. - dropped nuts bolts, etc.
18. Paper towels for the Garage
19. Box of latex gloves can be nice - they break but thats why you buy a box.
20. Safety Glasses or goggles After a while you learn not to put your head under the parts you are wrenching on but initially it seems like everything wants to get in your eyes.
21. Gallon of never used, barely opened, distilled water kept near by where you are working - ONLY USED To flush your eyes when something like radiator fluid ends up there. No dignity required - FLUSH
22. Hand degreaser - also works on clothes
23. shop light
24. Head light - flashlight on a head band, most have an angle adjustment, great thing. - never knew what I was missing, no longer need 3 hand to work and see at the same time. Leaves interesting indentation on the forehead though.
25. Electrical Extension cord (25 ft, 14 gauge).
26. Blanket that you dont treasure - (cheap, soft, and medium color) great for putting on the car side panels when hood is open. You want to know when it is dirty so you dont scratch the paint when it is used. Always soak, degrease, hand wash in a 5 gallon bucket couple times
before putting in washing machine. Bad juju put greasy stuff in domestic goddess household power tools, dont ask how I know.
27. 5 gallon bucket - Lowes sells these in the paint department - tons cheaper than the new washing machine I was threatened with, a bargin by any measure, really about 5 bucks.
28. #1 through #5 again in 1/4" drive - not so applicable for this job
29. Razor knife of some sort.

Onto the PARTS
1. Most of the time you can get the thermostat and water pump complete with gasket/Oring. But they are cheap to get seperately just in case.
2. Water pump - Unless you are going to get underdrive pulleys later on (frees up 3-5 hp) and or plan on tracking your car (paying money to drive like a maniac on closed course) you do not need the Stewart.
3. The water hose 17127514406 is not one of the main upper/lower radiator hoses. It is not typically changed, although you can.

Parts not on your list that you need:

4. You need part 17127514405 - Lower Radiator Hose
5. You need part 11537793373 - Upper Radiator Hose Vent Screw
6. You need part 17112249366 (or 17111437362, depending on the production yr/month of your car) - Expansion tank transmission thermostat - these get broken 80% of the time when the expansion tank is removed.
7. You need part 17111742231 - Radiator Cap.
8. You need part 17111711987 - its the oring for the left side of the "T" looking connector that goes into the bottom of your expansion tank.
8. Some kind of silicone lubricant for the orings and gaskets on all the parts you will replace. Just assume everything has a seal, look for them, cause nearly everything does. Lubricating prior will make them a ton easier to put on. The seals can bind/tear/not seat if not lubricated. In a pinch lube with the new radiator fluid but I like a silcone gel type lubricant for this.

If I can dredge up the E46 DIY thread (there are several) on this that I remember using/liked the best I'll post a link later.

Life's Good!
07 Z4Si - Mods: M front Bumper, Mstache, Alarm, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, mudflaps, windscreen, DaveZ GDO, Intravee II, Gaptech Remote +, Diet hamburgers and a Fat steering wheel.
03 330i - Mods: MTechII front Bumper, 125K and rollin!

Last edited by BruceJM; 05-11-2011 at 07:22 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:14 AM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 3.0
Water pump comes with an o-ring installed. I went with the Stewart Water Pump. Got mine at Dealership at a fair price. You might want to check with your Dealership to make sure all parts are in stock if that is where you are getting your parts. They had to order the upper radiator hose for me. Do not forget the 2 bolts you will need to back the water pump out . I'm sorry I cannot remember the size of those. I also had to take the bolt all the way off my Drivers side motor mount. I just used a very small screwdriver to line bolt back up with the mount hole and lowered my jack real slow and it went right back in. Also when you install your all of your hoses rub a little antifreez on all the o-rings on the inside of the hoses. This help them seal better. You will also have to bleed extra air out of your system. Leave that upper shroud off and drive your car around your neighborhood this will get everything up to temp. Slowly loosen the bleed screw to let extra air out and you are done ! Top off system. Good luck.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:26 PM

http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...ssembly=252162

Thanks Bruce and Mikey. I need all the help I can get. Bruce, I can definitely tell you write how-tos.

My car is a manual. Do I need the expansion tank transmission thermostat? p/n 17112249366 seems to reference automatics. The website above shows parts for a manual transmission and it doesn't show a thermostat.

Also, generic parts? Belts? hoses? Can these be "other" brands?

Thanks again!!!

Last edited by LauraM; 05-12-2011 at 01:30 PM.
Old 05-12-2011, 05:35 PM
BruceJ

Quote:
http://parts.bmwofsouthatlanta.com/s...ssembly=252162

Thanks Bruce and Mikey. I need all the help I can get. Bruce, I can definitely tell you write how-tos.

My car is a manual. Do I need the expansion tank transmission thermostat? p/n 17112249366 seems to reference automatics. The website above shows parts for a manual transmission and it doesn't show a thermostat.

Also, generic parts? Belts? hoses? Can these be "other" brands?

Thanks again!!!
You are right, no exp tank thermostat, sorry missed that in the RealOEM drawings.
You also wont need pn17111711987. as that goes with auto tranny mounting plate.
Generic brands - just fine, BMW OEM is not the end all be all. I think I used a rebuilt Graf WP
Upper radiator hose may come with the plug if you want to skip getting that seperately - but check.

This is the DIY I liked for this job. Its done for a manual tranny. (Thanks Paul180 of E46Fanatics)
Notes about it:
1. It pulls the engine block coolant plug - personally, I dont remember doing that.
2. Before you remove the belt in step 41 break loose the 4 bolts on the water pump pulley.
3. The bolts Mikey talks about to remove the water pump are in step 47 - you'll see that you have them already.
http://www.bmw330ci.net/maintenance/completecoolant.php

Heres a link to some specifics for the expansion tank removal as that can be the biggest mystery to get to come loose then come out. It just really reinforces Paul180's DIY. http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthr...=#post11089000

Life's Good!
07 Z4Si - Mods: M front Bumper, Mstache, Alarm, Hardtop Retrofit & Hardtop, mudflaps, windscreen, DaveZ GDO, Intravee II, Gaptech Remote +, Diet hamburgers and a Fat steering wheel.

Last edited by BruceJM; 05-12-2011 at 05:53 PM.
Old 05-13-2011, 06:49 PM

Cool. I've been pricing parts and I think I can do this for about $375. I wonder what the dealership would charge...

Bruce do I need the clutch tool to remove the fan on a manual? I don't think I do but I want to confirm.

Thanks for all your help. I know you've put in a lot of time helping me. Appreciate it greatly!

Old 05-14-2011, 11:23 AM

Just bought all the parts, including a metal thermostat housing and added a right cup holder, handle recess and cover for under the emergency break and a cigarette lighter socket.

Grand total? $424.66 and that includes shipping.

How'd I do?

What should a dealership charge do you think?

Attached a snap of my spreadsheet.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CoolingSystemParts.PNG
Views:	116
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	278445  

Old 05-14-2011, 03:39 PM
BruceJ

Quote:
Cool. I've been pricing parts and I think I can do this for about $375. I wonder what the dealership would charge...

Bruce do I need the clutch tool to remove the fan on a manual? I don't think I do but I want to confirm.

Thanks for all your help. I know you've put in a lot of time helping me. Appreciate it greatly!
You should not need the fan clutch tool unless they somehow put a Manual Clutch Fan on yours. Look at the water pump pulley. If there is no fan attached then you have the electric fan. It is loads easier to remove.

With the 3 series cars manual tranny = electric fan, although the electric is nearly a drop in replacement for autos w/manual clutch fans.

You are welcome, always glad to see another brave soul willing to work on a car.

Life's Good!
Old 05-14-2011, 09:39 PM

I just did the cooling system on my car minus the expansion tank. Compared your prices to the ones I got from Bimmerspecialist and you did very well.
FYI I did the job with the car on ramps and used a floor jack to raise the engine for water pump removal. Make sure to use a piece of wood between jack and engine to spread to load. Use coolant or light grease on the 'O' rings (WP, hoses, temp sensor) to ease assembly. It took me about 4-5 hours(w/lunch), but I was trying to be as careful as possible.
Here are some torques for re-assembly.
Torque Specs:
Coolant drain plug on Engine Block: 25Nm
Pulley on Water Pump bolts: 10Nm
Water Pump on Block nuts: 10Nm
Engine mount to front axle support (removed during WP R&R) 42 Nm
Old 05-15-2011, 06:20 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Laura, if you were not so far away, I would say to come up and you can do the work in my garage and I will teach... My wife loves it when someone comes over for a car repair session. She likes cooking for everyone....
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 05-17-2011, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shipkiller View Post
Laura, if you were not so far away, I would say to come up and you can do the work in my garage and I will teach... My wife loves it when someone comes over for a car repair session. She likes cooking for everyone....
I mapped it and you're about 9 1/2 hours away. I'm so very sad. I would have LOVED to have some of your wifes cooking. The use of your garage was also very generous, of course.

My plan is to do as Reptor did, ramps, a borrowed jack, a block of wood. The parts have been ordered but I don't think they'll all be here by this weekend so I'll have to wait til the next weekend. I've been reading and reading like Bruce said. Now all I need to do is figure out torque.

Thanks again for the offer - VERY generous of you.

Old 05-17-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptor View Post
Here are some torques for re-assembly.
Torque Specs:
Coolant drain plug on Engine Block: 25Nm
Pulley on Water Pump bolts: 10Nm
Water Pump on Block nuts: 10Nm
Engine mount to front axle support (removed during WP R&R) 42 Nm

What kind of torque wrench do I need? I did an amazon search but nothing shows Nms. What does that stand for, anyway? I saw some wrenches that were $1,400!!!!

Old 05-17-2011, 11:04 AM
Underway on Nuclear Power

Mein Auto: Me
Quote:
What kind of torque wrench do I need? I did an amazon search but nothing shows Nms. What does that stand for, anyway? I saw some wrenches that were $1,400!!!!
You do not need a Newton Meter (Nm) torque wrench. Any good quality SAE torque wrench will work. Just use Google and convert from Nm to Ft/lbs.... Some wrenches have a dual scale. one SAE and one Metric..

I have five torque wrenches. Some read in in/lbs and others are different scaled ft/lbs units.

If you take your wheels off a lot, then at good 0-100 or 0-150 ft/lbs wrench is your best choice.

When you use a torque wrench, always 'sneek up' on your value. Say you want to torque it to 80 ft/lbs. Tighten all fasteners to 40 ft/lbs, then redo the sequence and torque them to the proper values.

If you have a 'clicky' type wrench, the non-dial type, NEVER leave the wrench set to a torque value and store the wrench. Always zero the wrench out for storage.
Furthermore, does legality establish morality?
Slavery was legal; apartheid was legal; Stalinist, Nazi, and Maoist purges were legal. Clearly, the fact of legality does not justify these crimes. Legality, alone, cannot be the talisman of morel people. - Walter E. Williams
Old 06-11-2011, 05:44 PM

Unhappy OK, I 'm stuck. Help pretty please?

Hi guys,

I have everything taken apart on my complete cooling system redo. The water pump is loose and ready to come out. I'm ready to jack the engine up by 10mm but I dan't see where the "left engine mount" is. The BMW TIS DVD uses a special gizmo to lift the engine up so that's not helping. I did fine "engine mount" parts at the realoem site but I can't figure out what i should be loosening up in the engine compartment.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho....php?p=2965458

I also watched you tube videos on torque wrenches and managed to break three bolts of the four that hold the thermostat housing in place. Luckily that was an easy replacement. I know I had the torque set right but I couldn't tell when to stop tightening.

Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Oh - and I should say that i *think* i know where is it (left side, no duh, way down on the side kind of below were the front O2 sensors go. If that's it though, I haven't a clue as to what tool to use to get it out. It is 16mm like the DIY says but I don't know how to reach it.

Thanks again...

Last edited by LauraM; 06-11-2011 at 06:48 PM. Reason: added some info
Old 06-15-2011, 11:46 PM

Laura,
Sorry for the delayed reply, I was on a business trip this weekend.
I'll try to answer you questions.
For the torques wrench, if it's a "click" type(most common) stop pulling when you feel and hear a clicking sound.
The engine mount is the metal bracket bolted to the left side of the engine. You will be removing the nut that secures the mount to a stud the car frame. I can send a picture if you need it.
To get to that nut, I used a 16 mm socket, universal joint, and about 18" of extensions to get the wrench handle clear of the other parts in the engine bay.
After you remove the nut and start lifting the engine, you may need to wiggle the engine to break it free. According to the TIS lift the engine about 3cm, which I found to be the mount at the top of the mounting stud. To make it simple, lift the engine a little and try to remove the pump. If it won't come out, lift a little more and try again etc.
Hope this helps. Let me know if you have other questions.