Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 05-17-2015, 03:36 PM
Aleks

Mein Auto: 2006 BMW 325i
E90 N52 CCV is fine, which means what for oil burning ?

So On the weekend I took out my DISA flappy thing and it was intact and stuck open like it should be. As some of you might know I'm burning about 1L/4000km's so about 1L/2000 miles. I was suspecting a possible bad CCV but upon taking out the disa actuator it is actually quite clean inside the intake manifold with only a slight oily film. Which means only two things.

1. Aging valve stem seals.
2. Poor piston ring oil control.

Which means that the only real solution is to go to a thicker oil without spending stupid money. 5w-50 from Mobil is what I will try next year in my service.

Here's a pick. This is looking in through the whole that is left after taking the DISA actuator out.
Advertisement
Old 05-17-2015, 04:46 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2010 328ix
How did you test the CCV?

Past
2002 X5 4.4i 171k Stahlgrau
2002 Mini Cooper
2000 323ci
2001 540i Sport 6mt
1999 M3 Convertible
1995 525i
1984 533i
1979 320i
Old 05-17-2015, 04:47 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by grussell View Post
How did you test the CCV?
I didn't really test it. I'm assuming its ok since there is only a slight oily film in the manifold. I also don't have high suction on the oil cap that is apparently a typical sine and there are no noises or smoke either.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:38 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Have you checked the valve cover for leaks?

It can leak internally and not show signs outside.

Pull the spark plugs and see if they have oil on them.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-18-2015, 04:40 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
Have you checked the valve cover for leaks?

It can leak internally and not show signs outside.

Pull the spark plugs and see if they have oil on them.
No leaks. Valve cover was recently replaced. I do have some oil on my spark plugs though, which explains the oil consumption it is definitely getting burnt in the combustion chamber, how it is getting there is beyond me.
Old 05-19-2015, 08:19 AM

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
Quote:
Originally Posted by aleks001 View Post
No leaks. Valve cover was recently replaced. I do have some oil on my spark plugs though, which explains the oil consumption it is definitely getting burnt in the combustion chamber, how it is getting there is beyond me.
If it's relatively clean looking oil in cylinders 2 and 3, it's most likely overspill from filling at the fill port.

If it's black oil, it's leaking from the valve cover. Whoever installed the valve cover gasket might have pinched the spark plug well gaskets as they replaced the cover.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old 05-20-2015, 05:25 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
If it's relatively clean looking oil in cylinders 2 and 3, it's most likely overspill from filling at the fill port.

If it's black oil, it's leaking from the valve cover. Whoever installed the valve cover gasket might have pinched the spark plug well gaskets as they replaced the cover.
I installed the Valve cover gasket nothing was pinched, gaskets are fine and car was burning the same amount of oil before and after the gasket replacement.
Old Yesterday, 01:32 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 320i Auto M Spor
I have the same issue I think!

A little smoke when blipping the accelerator or when pulling after idle but not excessive. No oil leaks and I've actually had replaced the CCV (ventilator/ oil separator) and hoses, vacuum pump valve cover gasket and a small number of prints and gaskets around the engine.

It's burning excessive oil about a litre per 500 miles or so. No sign of leaks so I can only guess it's burning it, the blue smoke is a giveaway too.

I really hope its not valve stem seals but I would rather that than a cracked cylinder head or damages o-rings etc

OP what did yours turn out to be? Valve stem seals or print? And did switching to thicker oil work?
Old Yesterday, 02:32 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
I have the same issue I think!

A little smoke when blipping the accelerator or when pulling after idle but not excessive. No oil leaks and I've actually had replaced the CCV (ventilator/ oil separator) and hoses, vacuum pump valve cover gasket and a small number of prints and gaskets around the engine.

It's burning excessive oil about a litre per 500 miles or so. No sign of leaks so I can only guess it's burning it, the blue smoke is a giveaway too.

I really hope its not valve stem seals but I would rather that than a cracked cylinder head or damages o-rings etc

OP what did yours turn out to be? Valve stem seals or print? And did switching to thicker oil work?
Your's sounds very different to mine, I pretty much never have any smoke. Your's to me sounds more like valve stem seals.

It was never fixed as im pretty certain it's the piston rings and it's not worth fixing. Going to a thicker oil helped quite a bit. My consumption has stayed consistent for 100,000KM's hence why I think its the pistons as other broken parts would have gotten worse by now.

What viscosity oil and brand are you running, I do some googling for you and tell you the best oil that will help with the consumption even if its the valve stems.
Old Yesterday, 04:01 PM

Mein Auto: 2007 E90 320i Auto M Spor
I should read RTFI!

At the moment it's Castro edge 5w-30

How much would getting the valve stem seals fixed cost? Are there any special tools required? And are you aware of any guides for 2007 e90 320i I'm based in the uk.
Old Yesterday, 04:36 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyk View Post
I should read RTFI!

At the moment it's Castro edge 5w-30

How much would getting the valve stem seals fixed cost? Are there any special tools required? And are you aware of any guides for 2007 e90 320i I'm based in the uk.
You should first get it diagnosed by someone if your not certain it's the valve stem seals it could save you a lot of money. A good way to test is find a steep hill, drop the a gear or two and coast down the hill with higher RPM, apparently this creates a lot of pressure inside the crankcase and if your valve stem seals are shot you should see smoke. I've never actually personally seen this just what I've read around the internet.

Now for the rest:
Use this site for the repair guide:
https://translate.google.com.au/tran...m/&prev=search

Part numbers can be obtained here:
realoem.com

Not knowing the 320i engine, I would assume it will still be quite labour intensive, the parts will cost peanuts. You will definitely need an engine timing tool kit and some sort of spring/valve compressor.

Actually there is a youtube video

Now start with something easier, that oil is quite thin, nothing wrong with that, but since it is getting past the valve stem seals you should try a thicker oil, you will be supprised the difference it can make, especially if your not planning to keep the car for a long time.

Since you are in the EU (for now :P) You guys use LL04 oils, here are some 5w-40 oils i found that will meet BMW's recomendations for your vehicle and should help with the oil consumption, this is the easiest place to start:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Motul-Speci.../dp/B00N3PF0OU

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-84480-va...ngine-oil.aspx

Both look to be good oils from their spec sheet. Everyone in the world raves on about Motul oils, but pick either you will be fine, valvoline oil seems a little thicker, so might be the better option for this scenario

Let us know how you go.
Old Yesterday, 05:00 PM

Mein Auto: F10 N52 RWD
use liqui moly, shell rotella or motul 5w40. it will help oil consumption.

you consumption isnt too bad. I would probably blame it on the valve stem seals maybe piston rings.

what oil are you using now? do you drive aggressively, particularly when the engine is cold?
Old Yesterday, 05:16 PM
Winding up the M235xi

Mein Auto: 2015 M235xi / 2005 Tacoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by F10-N52 View Post
use liqui moly, shell rotella or motul 5w40. it will help oil consumption.

you consumption isnt too bad. I would probably blame it on the valve stem seals maybe piston rings.
Let's assume you're answering WoodyK, who posted this morning, instead of answering the people who last posted over two years ago.

He's burning 2 qts every 1000 miles, and you think that "isnt [sic] too bad".

And then you tell someone burning that much oil to use Shell Rotella, a diesel oil with components that will poison his catalytic converter at that burn rate.

Yes, we know, you seem to have a key that gives the same bad advice automatically in every oil thread in which you post. However, in this thread, instead of giving advice that's foolish, it's actively harmful.

Prior 40 years of cars: 1967 BelAir wagon / 1968 LeMans Tempest / 1970 Mustang Mach 1 / 1972 El Dorado / 1978 Corvette / 1981 Subaru GL wagon 4WD / 1983 s10 Blazer 4x4 / 1985 Bronco 4x4 / 1996 Bronco 4x4 / 2004 Passat 4motion / 2009 BMW 335i xDrive E92
Old Yesterday, 05:20 PM
Aleks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooks527 View Post
Let's assume you're answering WoodyK, who posted this morning, instead of answering the people who last posted over two years ago.

He's burning 2 qts every 1000 miles, and you think that "isnt [sic] too bad".

And then you tell someone burning that much oil to use Shell Rotella, a diesel oil with components that will poison his catalytic converter at that burn rate.

Yes, we know, you seem to have a key that gives the same bad advice automatically in every oil thread in which you post. However, in this thread, instead of giving advice that's foolish, it's actively harmful.
I wish we could ban this guy of the forum, I've never seen him post anything useful or in general that's not bad advise.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search