Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 07-23-2015, 07:22 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Apple scores coup - where's BMW?

Apple CarPlay confirmed in 2015 Honda Accord.

There's no better play for Apple - so - where's BMW on this? Audi/VW?

Anyone?
Advertisement
Old 07-24-2015, 05:30 AM
Bimmerdex 7.4!

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
As soon as Apple puts a knob on it which requires three days of teaching by a BMW "Genius" to master...they're all over it.
Old 07-24-2015, 05:35 AM
-- Robert S. Johnson 56FG

Mein Auto: 2008 535i
Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
Apple CarPlay confirmed in 2015 Honda Accord.

There's no better play for Apple - so - where's BMW on this? Audi/VW?

Anyone?
What is really so great about car play?

535i, Monaco, Cream, Light Poplar, Comfort Seats, PP, Nav, ED.

Last edited by Kamdog; 07-24-2015 at 05:38 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:15 AM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kamdog View Post
What is really so great about car play?

For Apple, they're in a major base of respected product.

For the driver, apps - should include web browser - on the car's screen....huge upgrade.

What if....rear seat screen[s] could connect to passengers' iphones?

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; 07-24-2015 at 07:18 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 07:24 AM
Speed's mentor...

Mein Auto: 650i, 2010
YES! We've all been anxiously awaiting something new that would distract the minions from driving, even more than what they already have.
Old 07-24-2015, 08:44 AM

Mein Auto: Z3
It's not a complete coup for Apple either, Honda system will support Android Auto as well:
http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/2...y-android-auto

VW has announced that many(all?) 2016 models will get Android Auto and Apple CarPlay and MirrorLink with their new MIBII infotainment system:
http://www.cnet.com/news/volkswagen-...t-at-ces-2015/

I would assume Audi Porsche as part of VAG will get the same.

and the Koreans are the first to market with Android Auto (not surprising considering Samsung):
http://www.androidheadlines.com/2015...ai-sonata.html

Some good information on all of this:
http://jalopnik.com/lets-get-some-fa...d-a-1690402557

and Android Auto:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2015/06...n-car-efforts/

BMW who knows? Feet dragging and hand wrenching on where to make up the revenue in infotainment addons, exclusivity deals - before reluctantly adopting it due to lost car sales is my prediction..

These are real game changers as far as technology is concerned - customer demand will force the issue, personally I am holding off on a purchase of a VW, yes it's that important to me, and I would dare say I am with the majority on this. This determines if you have state of art Navigation and other smartphone features going forward. The days of paying 2-3k for a quickly outdated infotainment/nav system are coming to an end.

Last edited by ZGator; 07-24-2015 at 11:30 AM.
Old 07-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
BMW had to be dragged kicking and screaming to make cup holders, usb ports and CD players available. I wouldn't hold my breath until they introduce something that is going to make their 3500 dollar tech package(even more) obsolete. I wish they would let me buy cooled seats for a decent (or any) price in the 3 series. Oh well, none of their customers live anyplace hot, like S. Cali, Texas, Florida, Arizona. Small insignificant piece of the small insignificant American market. N4S
Old 07-24-2015, 02:10 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Been able to do this stuff with 3rd party hardware for years. I hate how far behind built in tech lags behind
Old 07-25-2015, 09:31 AM
Not Inherently Unreliable

Mein Auto: 2013 E93 335is 6MT
I'm not going to plug in my phone every time I get into the car. I had to do that every day with my old 2008 335i, which had no USB port, BT audio, or nav -- only an AUX input. Now I'm happy with my 128GB USB stick.

I could run Pandora, Tune In radio, and the like with ConnectedDrive/BMW Apps by connecting my phone to USB, but it doesn't work, and as I said, it's nice to be able to keep my phone in my pocket. There's a snap-in option on my car, but BMW is notoriously behind with adapters. Really, they have one for the BlackBerry 8800 -- the creme de la creme of 2007 -- but not for any Galaxy phone since the S2. I have a ProClip mounted on the dash for when I want to datalog on my phone, or run Waze, which I don't see available on Android Auto. (Google Maps is nice, and certainly better than the sucky nav, but it's not Waze.)

There's a read-back text and email option with ConnectedDrive, but it's a gimmick, and so it will be with Android Apps and Car Play. I could do that on my mounted phone if I wanted. But I don't.

Web browsing? Yeah, that's what we need for drivers nowadays. Although I will confess I've done it from time to time, most recently when I some guy in a Porsche Panamera zooming around and I "OK Googled" that car's 0-60 time (6.0 secs. for the record -- I laughed.)

Past friends: 1999 Accord V6 * 1993 Prelude * 1988 CRX * 1984 Subaru GL * 1976 Gran Torino * 1970 Corona Mark III

[D]rivers of manual transmission cars are in an exclusive club, one whose members are arguably experiencing the true
essence of the Ultimate Driving Machine. Mike Miller

Last edited by James57; 07-25-2015 at 09:34 AM.
Old 07-25-2015, 11:07 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by James57 View Post
I'm not going to plug in my phone every time I get into the car.

Nor should you. Recently purchased Honda automatically connects and takes up where music left off, via Bluetooth....Apple CarPlay promises to do that, and move the phone's interface from the face o'the phone to the car's built in screen via Bluetooth or WiFi or wired connection.

Yay! My apps available - love that. Internet access - love that. Would be unsurprised to hear that face recognition + phone enables the car; phone becomes the fob we carry now.

Unfortunately, there's no better way to ID who's in the car and record travel history, position accurate to within a couple of centimeters. That would be broadcast to anyone able to receive it with far more detail than BMW SOS services can now provide, including audio. See, you can't operate your car without your key, which has become your phone, which stands to become your bio-metrically verified secure key to most things in your life.

Draw your own conclusions!