Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 01-10-2017, 03:10 AM
bmwfan01 bmwfan01 is online now
Registered User
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: E90 3.28i xdrive
Service Engine Light on after accelerating

I have 2011 3.28i xdrive. Today I was going with 50 -55 mph downhill then I slowed down because I was approaching a sharp turn at the bottom then I accelerated to drive uphill, the car jerked/slipped a bit. I felt the vibration coming underneath the car, it was similar to a feeling when you push the gas pedal and tires spin slightly. The car was still going but not the way you want. I am really not sure what exactly happened then engine service light came on. After driving 2-3 more minutes the light went off. I am really not sure what caused this problem. The light did not come back on when I was driving back home today. Any ideas what caused this and any fix available? Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
Reply With Quote
Advertisement
  #2  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:11 AM
07335's Avatar
07335 07335 is offline
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest
Location: NJ
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 446
Mein Auto: 2011 335is CAB w/DCT
If the light went on then there is most likely a related fault code stored in the ECU. Go to a shop (Mavis tire does this locally) and they will read the code for free.
Recently I was having a similar issue, code was for a misfire on cylinder #2. Replaced the coil and all was well. Your symptoms are a bit different but easy to pull the codes.
Good luck.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 01-10-2017, 07:39 AM
smak91 smak91 is offline
///Member
Location: Michigan - USA
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Posts: 165
Mein Auto: 2013 328i xDrive
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfan01 View Post
I have 2011 3.28i xdrive. Today I was going with 50 -55 mph downhill then I slowed down because I was approaching a sharp turn at the bottom then I accelerated to drive uphill, the car jerked/slipped a bit. I felt the vibration coming underneath the car, it was similar to a feeling when you push the gas pedal and tires spin slightly. The car was still going but not the way you want. I am really not sure what exactly happened then engine service light came on. After driving 2-3 more minutes the light went off. I am really not sure what caused this problem. The light did not come back on when I was driving back home today. Any ideas what caused this and any fix available? Any help or suggestion is appreciated.
How many miles does it have? Possibly still the original plugs and coils so changing those out would be good to do whether or not they even were the culprit (pending mileage of course). But it seems highly probable that is your problem.
__________________


'14 Porsche 911 Turbo S, Jet Black Metallic, Leather interior in Black/Bordeaux Red, Sport Chrono

'13 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Line, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Technology Pkg

'16 BMW X1 xDrive28i, Glacier Silver Metallic, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather / Luxury Pkg

SOLD:
'10 328i xDrive, Jet Black, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather Pkg

'07 328xi, Black Sapphire Metallic, Black int, Premium / Cold Weather Pkg
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 01-10-2017, 08:33 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is online now
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,865
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfan01 View Post
I have 2011 3.28i xdrive. Today I was going with 50 -55 mph downhill then I slowed down because I was approaching a sharp turn at the bottom then I accelerated to drive uphill, the car jerked/slipped a bit. I felt the vibration coming underneath the car, it was similar to a feeling when you push the gas pedal and tires spin slightly. The car was still going but not the way you want. I am really not sure what exactly happened then engine service light came on. After driving 2-3 more minutes the light went off. I am really not sure what caused this problem. The light did not come back on when I was driving back home today. Any ideas what caused this and any fix available? Any help or suggestion is appreciated.

[click here]
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 01-11-2017, 12:21 AM
bmwfan01 bmwfan01 is online now
Registered User
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: E90 3.28i xdrive
I have about 65K miles on the car. It still has original plugs. I purchased maintenance plan maybe I should have the plugs replaced first because I think it is about time, you think so?
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 01-11-2017, 06:39 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is online now
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,865
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfan01 View Post
I have about 65K miles on the car. It still has original plugs. I purchased maintenance plan maybe I should have the plugs replaced first because I think it is about time, you think so?

328i plugs due for replacement at 100k mi. Click the link above; pay attention to misfire diagnosis.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-19-2017, 12:13 AM
bmwfan01 bmwfan01 is online now
Registered User
Location: MD
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 11
Mein Auto: E90 3.28i xdrive
It is not true. My service booklet says it is due at 60,000 miles. I got mine changed around 65K miles recently. It looks like the problem of vibration when accelerating is resolved. If not, next step is to change the coils.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
328i plugs due for replacement at 100k mi. Click the link above; pay attention to misfire diagnosis.

Last edited by bmwfan01; 01-19-2017 at 12:16 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-19-2017, 06:09 AM
CALWATERBOY DUE's Avatar
CALWATERBOY DUE CALWATERBOY DUE is online now
Reregistered User
Location: Fog City, California
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 6,865
Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwfan01 View Post
It is not true. My service booklet says it is due at 60,000 miles. I got mine changed around 65K miles recently. It looks like the problem of vibration when accelerating is resolved. If not, next step is to change the coils.

I've heard BMW changed the mileage rating - thx for that. They backed off 'Lifetime' fluid fill too. Were they honest before reducing expectations?

Automobile manufacturing.....stands on shaky ground....
Reply With Quote
Reply

See More Related BMW Stories


Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series & 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On



Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
© 2001-2015 performanceIX, Inc. All Rights Reserved .: guidelines .:. privacy .:. terms