Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 06-23-2016, 01:01 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 335i
Was just about to jb4 it then..

..i found someone who does flash tunes for much cheaper. He has plenty of experience in remapping the ecu for more power for cheaper than a jb4 costs. He says i could get the jb4 but he says there's no point if i wont be running meth.

I have no intention of going that far yet, i daily this 335, not that i doubt the engine can handle it because im sure it can, i just want a small boost in power for now.

Is any of what this guy is saying reliable or true? Or should i just get the jb4. He owns a 335 himself and has been working on them 5+ years.

Bs? Or no?
Advertisement
Old 06-23-2016, 01:47 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
What are you plans with the car? Flash it and that's it?

If you plan on modding the car, I recommend the JB4 so you can change maps as you mod.

When you're full bolt on, do an MHD/backend flash and stack the JB4 with it. Then you have the benefits of a flash tune and all the features of the JB4.

If you flash it now, you will need to get it retuned after adding mods.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | Custom Polyurethane Shore A90 Tension Strut Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | UUC Front Sway Bar | Custom Heim Joint Rear Control Arms | Apex ARC-8 | Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec | Modified Dinan Cold Air Intake | aFe Oiled Drop-in Filter | Custom Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |

Last edited by fdriller9; 06-23-2016 at 01:49 PM.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
What are you plans with the car? Flash it and that's it?

If you plan on modding the car, I recommend the JB4 so you can change maps as you mod.

When you're full bolt on, do an MHD/backend flash and stack the JB4 with it. Then you have the benefits of a flash tune and all the features of the JB4.

If you flash it now, you will need to get it retuned after adding mods.
Thanks for responding. May i ask the exact features of a jb4? I know you can change maps and open & close your exhaust valves, what else?
Old 06-23-2016, 02:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i
The jb4 lets you access the fuel gauge to make it a boost gauge. It does plenty of things. Let's you read cel and service engine lights via the jb4. It also had many maps to suit the mods you put on the car. I recommend just using the jb4 because it is easy to install, and does plenty for the car
Old 06-23-2016, 02:36 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by SayItAintTom View Post
..i found someone who does flash tunes for much cheaper. He has plenty of experience in remapping the ecu for more power for cheaper than a jb4 costs. He says i could get the jb4 but he says there's no point if i wont be running meth.

I have no intention of going that far yet, i daily this 335, not that i doubt the engine can handle it because im sure it can, i just want a small boost in power for now.

Is any of what this guy is saying reliable or true? Or should i just get the jb4. He owns a 335 himself and has been working on them 5+ years.

Bs? Or no?

N54 = No BS

PROGRAM - MHS I think - an Android app anyone can apply at swimmingly low price!

I'm killin' time on Interstate 5 - can post detail on available tunes later.
Old 06-23-2016, 02:40 PM
Reregistered User

Ol' fdriller9 has the right info - explore the possibilities at N54TECH
Old 06-23-2016, 02:45 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 335Ci
I think the key words here are "has been working on them 5+ years." He wants you to keep coming back. Ask him if he'll guarantee he won't brick your ECU and your car will pass any present or future emission requirements.

When you flash a tune, you can't turn it off or change it. You can't take it out and sell it or move it to another car. And if the guy decides to move, you gotta do the trip.

I'll stick with the JB4.

'08 335 E92, M-Sport option, 6 sp auto w/paddle shift
JB4 PNP G5 ISO upgrade, 3" charge pipe w/dual CM5 nozzles, meth injection, Oil Catch Can. Zero to 'OH GOD!' in a scream.

CCA Member 109065
CQ ... CQ...Kilo Charlie 3 Bravo Whiskey Zulu calling CQ
Old 06-23-2016, 08:04 PM
Reregistered User

OK [here] is a quick comparison, popular tunes. JB4 METH slays all.....gotta wonder how it'd work stacked on MHD.....
Old 06-24-2016, 02:22 PM

Wow so much info.. thanks guys. Problems though. This morning while doing 140kph on the highway omw to work, when i accelerated to pass someone, the car stuttered.. like i felt it on the pedal. It stuttered like twice then it goes. It did this every time i tried to accelerate at higher speeds.

I did some quick research and gathered that im getting misfires? Could be coils, spark plugs? Or even vanos? Anyone here have any insight.

Id rather deal with this first before i go ahead with this tune.
Old 06-24-2016, 04:26 PM

Mein Auto: 2008 BMW 335i
Deffinitely check the plugs first then go from there... Plugs, coils, injectors, vanos
Read the code the car is throwing first so you have a pinpoint approach
Old 06-24-2016, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335iAaron View Post
Deffinitely check the plugs first then go from there... Plugs, coils, injectors, vanos
Read the code the car is throwing first so you have a pinpoint approach
Not throwing any codes, plus the drive home today was smooth. Dont know whether to ignore it or investigate some more. Maybe there is a shadow code?
Old 06-24-2016, 05:47 PM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Not throwing any codes, plus the drive home today was smooth. Dont know whether to ignore it or investigate some more. Maybe there is a shadow code?

When was your last nutter blast?
Old Yesterday, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CALWATERBOY DUE View Post
When was your last nutter blast?
Not too sure.. dont think it's been done at all tbh. Since im about to start modding i should probably get it done anyway. Is this a DIY or would you recommend it being done by professionals like the dealership?
Old Yesterday, 09:55 AM
Reregistered User

Quote:
Not too sure.. dont think it's been done at all tbh. Since im about to start modding i should probably get it done anyway. Is this a DIY or would you recommend it being done by professionals like the dealership?

[do this] every 40-60k mi.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
Today's Posts Search