Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old Yesterday, 05:50 PM

Mein Auto: 328i
Multiple misfire on single bank (4, 5 & 6)

Hi Ladies and Gents,

(2008 328i E92, with 55K on the clock)

There has been many articles published about multiple misfires, I think I have read them all!!

Any help in my particular issue would be very much appreciated!!!

My car started playing up about 2 months ago, here is the problem

In neutral and revving the car (above 2K RPM) < all is fine.
When I drive the car and exceed 2K RPM The car starts to miss fire and the clever BMW shuts down cylinders. In fact all 3.
It is always the same 2nd bank i.e 4, 5, & 6
Issue happens hot or cold (I live in LA so never really cold)

Shutting down the engine and removing the key OR clearing the errors fixes the issue until I go over 2K RPM again.

What I have tried

Replaced both VANOS valves (they were sticking and cleaning did not solve)
Shuffled the Plugs and Coils
Removed and cleaned all injectors (but left in same order) < no leaks and all fine.

I really do not want to throw money at this without first understanding the problem, there is no more errors other than the misfire.

Thanks in advance,

Adrian
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 06:22 PM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
More information needed. Do you have a scanner and have you accessed BMW specific codes?

Otherwise we are all guessing, like this guess: Three cylinders in one bank and you've eliminated coils, plugs and (probably) injectors. My guess is bad Air Fuel ratio sensor. Or bad ground connection. Or plugged cat. I could go on. See what I mean?

Last edited by DSXMachina; Yesterday at 06:23 PM.
Old Yesterday, 07:45 PM
Reregistered User

Mein Auto: 09 E93 335i somewhat mod
Quote:
Originally Posted by adrian.crowther View Post
Removed and cleaned all injectors (but left in same order) < no leaks and all fine.

I really do not want to throw money at this without first understanding the problem, there is no more errors other than the misfire.

Ah, but how do you know there are no other errors? Be aware not all errors show on the dash - you gotta read 'em - with a BMW capable reader, NOT Autozone fer Crissakes!

Yep, it's been said many times, many ways....

To read all the codes
Is very bold
The info will bring
Ya in from the cold

Dude! The holiday season's bringin' on a Haiku....don't get me started!

Oh, and you know what to do about injector/plug troubleshooting.

Last edited by CALWATERBOY DUE; Yesterday at 07:47 PM.
Old Today, 04:59 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '06 AW 330xi
My bet is the up stream o2 is bad on that bank.

| LCI Msport Conversion | Custom Kevlar/Carbon Fiber Wind Splitter | Exotic Tuning Front Lip | H&R Coilovers | M3 Subframe Bushings | E93 M3 23.6mm Rear Sway Bar | Whiteline 27mm Front Sway Bar | Ground Control Camber Kit | L7 | Hand-Made LED Angel Eyes | Breyton GTS-R | Bridgestone Pole Position S-04 | CarPC with Centrafuse Front End | Alpine MRP-M500 | Custom LED Reverse Lights | OEM Blacklines | BMW Performance Trunk Spoiler |
Old Today, 06:03 AM
Non compos Mentos

Mein Auto: 335i E92 TiAg 6MT ED
Quote:
Originally Posted by fdriller9 View Post
My bet is the up stream o2 is bad on that bank.
Yep. And a graphing scanner would show that in seconds. Seems he would have a CEL for that with STFT locked at max adaptation. Are you thinking the A:F is signalling rich and he's ending up with a lean miss?