Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-10-2012, 08:15 AM

Mein Auto: 335i xDrive
fyi - I was successful installing the "Road Map North America Premium 2012" on my 2009 335i xDrive. Yes!
- Got 3 DVD images from: http://www.demonoid.me/files/details/2829786/21974616/
- Got FSC activation code from Ebay: Search "BMW CIC "FSC GPS NAVIGATION ACTIVATION CODE" UNLOCK 2012 MAPS".
Old 02-10-2012, 08:24 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Good to know, but I got one hit for GBP 95.00 or Approximately US $150.51. Sergei is $97 US.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 02-10-2012, 08:42 AM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunder Dump View Post
I don't believe the code is tied to the year, only to the VIN of the vehicle. But it is a use once code. I believe you could buy a code this year (2012) but not use it this year. Then next year (2013) you could buy those maps and then use the code. So it doesn't matter what year you use the code on, but you can only use it for one year.
I wonder how the car knows the date so that it can reject a previous year's FSC. Surely they wouldn't just rely on the user-entered date/time, would they? That would be an easy over-ride: just dial the car back to the year the code is known good for, update with the latest maps for the actual calendar year, and then turn the car's date/time forwards again.

Maybe it uses the built-in cell phone component to obtain the date/time from the cellular operator. (That's what I'd do, but then I'd also use that signal to set the car's clock). Or maybe it looks at the most recently modified file in the CIC's file-system and uses that modified date as a guarantee that the whole disk has been present in the modern era.

Anyway, I'm in! I'm going to the local dealer this afternoon anyway (my slipping transmission, see other thread) so I'll see if I can order/collect 2012 maps from their parts dept.

Thanks for this thread and all contributors.

Frank.

Last edited by FrankAZ; 02-10-2012 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:23 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335d
+1 for Sergei (*****************)...

Last edited by minus13; 02-11-2012 at 04:13 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:29 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi LCI
Nobody has had any problem going in for any service and the dealer says "you used some bogus code to install aftermarket software, your warranty is now voided"? That is my greatest fear I have the iso's already, just need a code and am hesitant...
Old 02-11-2012, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
Nobody has had any problem going in for any service and the dealer says "you used some bogus code to install aftermarket software, your warranty is now voided"? That is my greatest fear I have the iso's already, just need a code and am hesitant...
Wow... I think you might be worrying too much. Who said these are bogus codes?

Anyway, I think you'll be fine, but I'm in no position to confirm that.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus13 View Post
Wow... I think you might be worrying too much. Who said these are bogus codes?

Anyway, I think you'll be fine, but I'm in no position to confirm that.
I don't think it's a stretch to be concerned about paying a lot of money for one of these cars and then possibly risking a warranty void because I bought a code "off some guy on the internet" lol. I don't know this guy, if he works at an actual dealer and is just underselling codes, or if he cracked the code-generating algorithms and it's all bogus.

I'm not saying he's a scam, it seems lots of people on here bought from him. I'm just saying it's a concern of mine, and I don't feel it's wholly unjustified.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:39 AM

Quote:
I don't think it's a stretch to be concerned about paying a lot of money for one of these cars and then possibly risking a warranty void because I bought a code "off some guy on the internet" lol. I don't know this guy, if he works at an actual dealer and is just underselling codes, or if he cracked the code-generating algorithms and it's all bogus.

I'm not saying he's a scam, it seems lots of people on here bought from him. I'm just saying it's a concern of mine, and I don't feel it's wholly unjustified.
No offense intended - I just think you might be worrying too much. If you're that concerned, then I would argue that the extra $200-$300 to have the dealer do it is worth the peace of mind.

Good luck, and let us know how it goes regardless of what method you employ.
Old 02-11-2012, 09:47 AM

None taken. This is my first expensive car purchase, so I am definitely being cautious

If the cheaper codes were somehow problematic and bogus, I would go the more expensive route at a dealer. However if they are safe, then naturally I cannot justify a higher cost. So here I sit in limbo, thinking lol.

It took days to torrent the isos, about ready to md5 check them before burning. Will post my results!
Old 02-11-2012, 10:19 AM

Last edited by minus13; 02-11-2012 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:32 PM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Another +1 for Sergej. Emailed yesterday afternoon, a quick PayPal event, and he emailed the code during the night. I have my code.

I went to my AZ BMW dealer yesterday after lunch and paid my $6.99 (including tax) for the set of DVDs. They don't have any in stock but the service manager showed me his set to make sure we were talking the same item. They'll be delivered early next week, Tuesday suggested. They told me that the code would be fine but were surprised I was getting it elsewhere. They say they have to pay PRICE for the code when they access the BMW mother ship, where PRICE is ~3x the price I paid.

I imagine that BMW charge different prices in different geographies and the online reduced rate reflects the price in EUR/Zlotys/Rubles/beads charged somewhere else. If BMW were interested in locking it down they would require that the car be attached to the mother ship, perform some check on the VIN sold-to location and the access point requesting the code, or even require that the GPS reports a dealer location while the update initiates. They don't. I don't feel bad since I am certain that the code is coming from BMW's system somewhere and the map license fees are taken care of even if my dealer is missing out on the usual fees. The user of that BMW terminal is probably violating BMW rules, but not doing anything illegal or which deprives the licensee.

I find it impossible to imagine an illicit 3rd party would be privy to the codes used with the VIN and perhaps the date to generate the FSC without accessing the BMW mother ship. It is almost certain to involve a one-way hash function using a proven robust algorithm and would not be reverse engineerable without a huge supply of known mutations to test with and an enormous - really enormous - compute resource. If it could be reverse engineered then my respect of BMW is on the floor.

I was told there were 51 DVD sets in stock at the central BMW facility as of 2pm yesterday. I am a little nervous that the DVDs, normally sold only direct to dealer, will be put on restrictions if too many people suddenly order them at what must be less than production cost.

PM me if you are in AZ, ideally Chandler/Tempe borders or vicinity, and want the DVDs after I am done with them.

Frank.

UPDATE 2/16/2012: My set of maps arrived at my dealer and I collected them this afternoon. As hoped my $6.99 bought me the set of three 2012 Premium map DVDs, and per other's experiences a set of three 2011ii Premium map DVDs. I'm now good-to-go for some updating this weekend.

Last edited by FrankAZ; 02-16-2012 at 11:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW E60
hello all
FSC codes are not to be original and not original,this is just a sequence of numbers and letters,
it allows to install new maps or not,
To this day, none of my client did not have any problems
Since the majority of original maps used are purchased from dealers (5-10 dollars
and the code itself and you can guess accidentally
best regards Sergej *****************

Last edited by sieras5; 02-12-2012 at 12:44 AM.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:15 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW 335d
Okay...my bad. I went to FSCmap.com and thought that was Sergei. My apologies. I would have tried Sergei and used Paypal. However, I would have only saved $106 in the long run, so I am not disappointed having spent about $225 with all purchases from a dealer.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffj View Post
Okay...I would have only saved $106 in the long run
That's a lotta chedda!

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 02-12-2012, 12:32 AM
Account Under Review

My price with dvd map is about hundreds of dollars,
Generating FSC code takes from ten minutes to several hours
(when you pay money in the night, code generation takes much longer-code you will got next day morning, in Europe the time is different)
Code generation from dealer takes much longer.
So, you have a choice from where buy FSC code
Old 02-12-2012, 04:15 AM
The Driver

Mein Auto: 2014 M5
Quote:
Originally Posted by sieras5 View Post
My price with dvd map is about hundreds of dollars,
Generating FSC code takes from ten minutes to several hours
(when you pay money in the night, code generation takes much longer-code you will got next day morning, in Europe the time is different)
Code generation from dealer takes much longer.
So, you have a choice from where buy FSC code
Thanks for posting

Everyone - This is Sergej and several of us got the code from him within 24 hours and it worked flawlessly.

2014 ///M5 Individual
Frozen Grey, Silverstone Full Merino, Piano Black, Exec Pkg, Drivers assistance pkg, LED Package, Bang and Olufsen, 20" Forged wheels
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328ix 2001 z3
Did you figure out a way to update without running the car? I'm having the same problem. I put in the key did NOT touch the brake and pressed start twice. It still shuts off.
2009 328ix

Last edited by RedsoxMurphy; 02-14-2012 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:44 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 328ix 2001 z3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak View Post
BTW, I tried to install the Navigation DVD update without running the car at first. I hooked up a battery charger and put the key.
This was to help not to drain the battery.
After few minutes, the navigation update system still turned off.
So, the Navigation software resumed and finished the update after I started the car and then drove around.
Was wondering if there was a way to update navigation without the car running?
Did you figure out a way to update without running the car. I'm having the same problem. I put in the key did NOT touch the brake and pressed start twice. It still shuts off.
2009 328ix

Last edited by RedsoxMurphy; 02-14-2012 at 10:50 AM.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsoxMurphy View Post
Did you figure out a way, to update without running the car. I'm having the same problem. I put in the key did NOT touch the break and pressed start twice. It still shuts off.
2009 328ix
Get one of these.

Old 02-14-2012, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankAZ View Post
I wonder how the car knows the date so that it can reject a previous year's FSC. Surely they wouldn't just rely on the user-entered date/time, would they? That would be an easy over-ride: just dial the car back to the year the code is known good for, update with the latest maps for the actual calendar year, and then turn the car's date/time forwards again.

Maybe it uses the built-in cell phone component to obtain the date/time from the cellular operator. (That's what I'd do, but then I'd also use that signal to set the car's clock). Or maybe it looks at the most recently modified file in the CIC's file-system and uses that modified date as a guarantee that the whole disk has been present in the modern era.

Anyway, I'm in! I'm going to the local dealer this afternoon anyway (my slipping transmission, see other thread) so I'll see if I can order/collect 2012 maps from their parts dept.

Thanks for this thread and all contributors.

Frank.
Most cars can use an OnStar/BMWAssist mechanism to set an internal date/time clock with the correct time. It may also be a requirement of the FSC code, to encode the date into the string--thus the car can "know" the current year and if the code was valid for last year only.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:59 AM

I had to keep the car running and driving around.
I tried to hook up a battery charger but it still shuts off
after a while.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bballfreak View Post
I had to keep the car running and driving around.
I tried to hook up a battery charger but it still shuts off
after a while.
Try this:

1. Put key in key holder thing (or whatever the F you call it)
2. Press start button once, wait a few seconds, and press again (car should be on now and all the lights in the dash light up - after a few seconds all warning lights go out and only the "service engine soon" light stays on)
3. Connect charger to positive and negative posts under hood.
4. Start upgrade process.

The car should not turn off.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:55 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus13 View Post
Get one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedsoxMurphy View Post
Did you figure out a way to update without running the car. I'm having the same problem. I put in the key did NOT touch the brake and pressed start twice. It still shuts off.
2009 328ix
so
need a powerful battery charger (about 50A), otherwise the probability is that the update may, together with the car off.
domestic standard charger will not be sufficient!
therefore the need to check for updates,
and controlling the ignition stays on,
but soon to have a good solution
Upgrade from one USB
This is a quick solution.

Last edited by sieras5; 02-14-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sieras5 View Post
so
need a powerful battery charger (about 50A), otherwise the probability is that the update may, together with the car off.
domestic standard charger will not be sufficient!
therefore the need to check for updates,
and controlling the ignition stays on,
but soon to have a good solution
Upgrade from one USB port
This is a quick solution.
Actually, the charger was only drawing approximately 14 to 18 AMPS during the upgrade process, so you wouldn't need a 50A charger in my opinion.

Just a heads up.
Old 02-14-2012, 01:07 PM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Most cars can use an OnStar/BMWAssist mechanism to set an internal date/time clock with the correct time. It may also be a requirement of the FSC code, to encode the date into the string--thus the car can "know" the current year and if the code was valid for last year only.
XE-XE
I will give you a little secret
Everything is very simple
2011 years of the last two letters in the code is BQ,
and in 2012 the last two letter code is a CA,
So with the 2011 code not update 2012 map,
and the 2012 code is not updated the 2013 map
hope I satisfy your curiosity
regards