Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 3 Series / 4 Series > E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)

E90/E91/E92/E93 (2006 - 2013)
The E9X is the 4th evolution of the BMW 3 series including a highly tuned twin turbo 335i variant pushing out 300hp and 300 ft. lbs. of torque. BMW continues to show that it sets the bar for true driving performance! -- View the E9X Wiki

Old 02-19-2012, 07:07 AM
Account Under Review

Mein Auto: BMW E60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fordperf View Post
Do you need to put the ISO on the USB in the special way that maintains the boot sector of the ISO? Or can you simply 'drag and drop' the files from the ISO onto the USB?

simply 'drag and drop' the files from the ISO onto the USB,single DVD ISO be put in a empty USB
Old 02-19-2012, 07:08 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Also trying to find out if the USB in the glovebox is v1.1 or v2.0, can't seem to find that out via search
in the glovebox is v2.0
Old 02-19-2012, 07:10 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2009 335xi LCI
Awesome, thanks! So are there special instructions for doing the USB method? Or just copy files from ISO 1 onto the USB, stick in USB, and start process?

If nothing special, I am ready to use the USB method and order my FSC code from you
Old 02-19-2012, 07:15 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Awesome, thanks! So are there special instructions for doing the USB method? Or just copy files from ISO 1 onto the USB, stick in USB, and start process?

If nothing special, I am ready to use the USB method and order my FSC code from you
iso 1dvd put in a empty USB
then end delete and Insert 2DVD ISO
after the Third,
simple as that.
good luck

Last edited by sieras5; 02-19-2012 at 08:39 AM.
Old 02-19-2012, 09:05 AM

PM sent!
Old 02-19-2012, 09:35 AM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Another thumbs up to Sergey coming through with the Activation Code! He is definitely the cheaper alternative out there...

After receiving my disks (both 2011 and 2012) from getbmwparts.com for under $7 bucks I ordered by code from Sergey.

Did the update over a few trips in the car. The upgrade continues where it left off.
Old 02-19-2012, 12:04 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
Quote:
Awesome FrankAZ, this was the write-up I was looking for! I have a Battery Tender Plus, I don't think I can specify the output--it's all automatic. I hope it works the same way.
Battery Tender Plus will not supply enough voltage to do this update (I know, I tried with mine). That is a trickle charge unit and the draw from the car is much greater than what the unit can supply to recharge the drain. You need a dedicated battery charger if you're going to tether the car to a power source and not run it.
Old 02-19-2012, 01:17 PM

Even with all the lights turned off and a fully charged battery to start AND using the USB method which supposedly finishes in 1/3 the time as the DVD method, you don't believe the car has enough juice to run the computer and hd with a tender attached?
Old 02-19-2012, 02:09 PM

Mein Auto: 328i Monaco Blue 'vert
Seriously guys, just do the DVD update in stages as I did.

Systems just continues where it left off - instead of mucking around with battery chargers etc
Old 02-19-2012, 03:38 PM
Tastes like chicken

Mein Auto: '09 328i E93 SGM/CR
Quote:
Even with all the lights turned off and a fully charged battery to start AND using the USB method which supposedly finishes in 1/3 the time as the DVD method, you don't believe the car has enough juice to run the computer and hd with a tender attached?
With the USB method maybe. That's significantly less time and you're also not spinning the DVD drive the whole time.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
Seriously guys, just do the DVD update in stages as I did.

Systems just continues where it left off - instead of mucking around with battery chargers etc
If I read some of the posts in this thread correctly, one can in fact start the process, drive for 20 mins, shut off the car, and upon restarting and driving the car again, the process picks up where it left off. If that's the case, then I'll prolly do that and have it installed over the course of the week.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:52 PM
Liverpudlian at heart

Mein Auto: 2009 328i Sedan
Quote:
If the USB method is refined then I would certainly advocate doing it that way. I was too impatient to wait, or experiment with a USB method of my own. I would have started by just combining the content of all the pkgdb folders found on each DVD together into a single pkgdb folder in the root of a >22GB USB and seeing whether the car recognized the folder structure on the USB drive connected to the USB port in the glove box. There is nothing special about a boot record since the DVD is not booting - the iDrive software is simply recognizing key files in the same way it detects mp3 files or other audio and invites import of music. I am sure the media ID hard-coded into the index ring of the DVD isn't anything special either. Anyway, I didn't try or experiment so my supposition is probably wrong.

For my money, the convolutions of attaching a charger and leaning in through a window to avoid causing an open-door event are to evade the shutdown triggers which would prematurely pause the import of data. I would not be surprised to learn that the car detects a drain on the battery in excess of some small threshold which is avoided by introducing ~12V from another low-impedance supply. Certainly my measurement of a 90W demand on the battery charger wile I imported my DVDs is inconsequential in the context of a 3 or 4 hour activity. A car battery has many kWh capacity.

It would be worth while avoiding holding the car at full-on for prolonged periods without the car moving though. There are many systems for which that would be an unusual state. The ignition system would be charged ready to discharge through the spark plugs, and never spark. The fuel pumps would be working against inactive injectors. All sorts of ancillary equipment would be held in an unusually lengthy 'ready' state they would never normally experience.

Frank.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:56 PM

Yea I combined all ISOs into one directory tree, comes out to about 22GB. Seeing as the largest USB thumb drive I have is 16GB, the one USB method went out the window.

Does the install process remember its state if the car sits turned off overnight?
Old 02-20-2012, 12:01 AM
Account Under Review

Quote:
Yea I combined all ISOs into one directory tree, comes out to about 22GB. Seeing as the largest USB thumb drive I have is 16GB, the one USB method went out the window.

Does the install process remember its state if the car sits turned off overnight?
"combined all ISOs into one directory"
I tried various options,
but unfortunately failed
or at the beginning or be able to ask you to insert another USB,
Now I get the original file is 22gb fit into one USB
Old 02-20-2012, 07:36 AM

Chalk up another vote for sieras5, his code worked flawlessly!

The dvd install does in fact resume right were you left off, should you start the install and then shut the car off in the middle of it. It takes a few seconds after starting the car before the install resumes, and it picks up looking just like you're installing it for the first time again, but after you click Install in a few seconds it zips right to the last % it was at before you shut it down.

By the time I got to work it was at about 16.5%. My guess is by the time I get home from work it will be asking for dvd 2. 3 days to install new maps with zero hassle and no battery charging issue? Priceless.
Old 02-20-2012, 05:32 PM

Well so far the only drawback is that every time you resume the install process, it wants you to eject the current dvd and insert dvd 1 again, and then a minute later asks for the last dvd you just had in there, and then it resumes. Pain in the ass, but not the end of the world.
Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 PM

Mein Auto: Bmw 5 series f10
Hello, where can i find EU premium 2012 maps dvd to use with code?
Old 02-21-2012, 07:44 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justigador View Post
Hello, where can i find EU premium 2012 maps dvd to use with code?
I believe if you buy the FSC Code from Sergei (sieras5), he allows you to download the appropriate ISO images from his server.

You can check here too though for the 2012 BMW Premium Europe (CIC) download links:

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/bmw/...ic-2012-a.html

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips
Old 02-22-2012, 03:17 AM

Mein Auto: Bmw 5 series f10
Quote:
Originally Posted by shawnsheridan View Post
I believe if you buy the FSC Code from Sergei (sieras5), he allows you to download the appropriate ISO images from his server.

You can check here too though for the 2012 BMW Premium Europe (CIC) download links:

http://gpsunderground.com/forum/bmw/...ic-2012-a.html
Thanks a lot, i have already contacted sieras5
Old 02-24-2012, 08:40 PM

Mein Auto: 328xi
I just bought a 2012 328xi coupe and just noticed that the navigation version was "north american premium 2011i". I went through the glove box and found a letter for the navigation system with a FSC code ending in n"CA", does this mean I have the correct code for the 2012 upgrade and just need the DVD's?
Old 02-24-2012, 08:48 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 535i M-Sport
Quote:
Originally Posted by iMrBIGs View Post
I just bought a 2012 328xi coupe and just noticed that the navigation version was "north american premium 2011i". I went through the glove box and found a letter for the navigation system with a FSC code ending in n"CA", does this mean I have the correct code for the 2012 upgrade and just need the DVD's?
Most likely. My 2012 Code ended with CA, and when I bought the DVD's, 2011i and 2012 came packaged together, so I would imagine the same code could be used on both sets.

- 2011 535i M-Sport (Born 10/10) - AW/BLK/DW - /ZMP (w/ARS, EDC, DHP, & AD) /ZPP /ZP2 (w/ZPS & ZPT) /ZCV (w/SCAD) /6FL /6VC
- Mods - M5 343M 20" Forged Wheels / 6WB MFID / 2TB SAT / 4U1 Ceramic / 6NR Apps / PDV 5k Fogs / Rear Fogs / Euro Tail Lights / Cyba Quad Tips

Last edited by shawnsheridan; 02-25-2012 at 04:57 PM.
Old 02-25-2012, 03:55 PM

Mein Auto: BMW
I have tried three different make/model of USB memory stick and I have not had any success.

The steps I took were as follows:

- Format USB memory sticks with FAT32.
- Copy content from the Disc 1 ISO onto the USB memory stick. I.e. on the root of the USB memory stick I have the a "pkgdb" folder and a "config.nfm" file.
- Insert USB memory stick into the USB port that is located within the glove box.

Nothing would happen.

I do have some DVD DL discs, so that is an option but I was hoping to get the USB method to work.

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestion...please do let me know.
Old 02-25-2012, 04:11 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
I just successfully upgraded my CIC to the 2012 North American High maps.

2012 DVDs from BMW
Battery charger to maintain voltage

DID NOT NEED THE FSC code!!!

Strange, but I have a 2012 built in 9/2011...perhaps BMW had preloaded 2012 FSCs for 2012 cars??? Hoping to head off mad customers?

Needs more research

A

PS I can recommend Sergej- quick, good communications, trusted.
Old 02-26-2012, 03:34 PM

Mein Auto: 2012 BMW X5 35d
2012 NAV upgrade for 2012 X5 35D

Gear ARD, how did you upgrade your NAV - I see alot of posts, but no details.
How can I buy the maps for low price and do I need the FSC code?

My car was delivered October 31st 2011 and it is a 2012 X5 model.

I plan to go with complaint to th edealer anyway as I see the movies on the BMW site showing that wonderful Integrated on-line manual but I do not have that option.
So, I hope there is an iDrive Software upgrade that will fix that for me (also no 3D navigation - only perspective view)

So if know how to ordr and install th elatest maps - please share.
Thanks, Vladimir
Old 02-26-2012, 04:14 PM
Resident Curmudgeon

Mein Auto: '12 X5 35d/E39M5/996TTX50
Go to your dealer and order part number was 01990037287...should be $8-11. They will try and talk you out of it, tell you it wont work or that your car needs a download from the BMW server. Smile, but politely insist they order the disks.

I am willing to bet you do NOT need an FSC!

Here is how: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...&postcount=138

Now, if you want to pull the dealer into the process, insist on updates, etc have at it.

A

PS I really want someone with an early 2012 to prove out my theory.... worse case scenario is that you car asks for the FSC and you just cancel.