Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)

E85 / E86 Z4 (2003-2008)
E85 Z4 convertible and E86 Z4 coupe talk with our BMW gurus here.

Old 10-01-2011, 05:39 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Mein Auto: 2003 M5-S2, 2002 540iT-S2
Thursday I took Scatha to Meguiar's headquarters for their bi-monthly Tech Session. Mike (tall guy in pic below) runs it and the purpose is for anyone who signs up to be able to come down and test products/learn to operate D/As, etc. for free. I learned quite a bit about how resilient acrylic paint can be, which will be shared in a later post. For now, here are a few quick pics.

More pics from the evening can be found here: http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?s...4577292&type=1
Old 10-01-2011, 05:58 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
I need that garage.
Old 10-11-2011, 03:44 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

This past Saturday Scatha returned "home" to Willow Springs International Raceway for the first time since incorporating Willow in her new paint job. My brother-in-law Ken brought his "looks like stock" Mustang and helped out with photography duty. It was a very good day for both of us. I re-thought my approach to turn 9 and think I have it pretty much nailed now, with more midcorner speed and an extra 1mph at exit. With street tires I was turning in the 1:36s, which is only slightly slower than previous trips using NT-01s. Ken apparently had only been to Willow once before, for his first ever track day years ago. Since then he's tracked a lot but never had gotten back to Willow. His was the biggest improvement, dropping from over 2 minutes to a best of 1:39.6! So, a great day. Now on to pics...

Dawn:

One of the few times the light caught the bronze metallic in the "sticker" paint just right:

Willow. In the background, Willow:

On location at turn 8...

...to taking pics of Ken's Mustang:

Setting up a pass on an M3:

Me, driving the Mustang on the front straight:

Chasing down various Z06s (My best lap in the Mustang was a 1:36.5, with a passenger):

Scatha, apex of turn 1:

Between turns 1 and 2:

Up the hill in turn 4:

Down into 5A:

Apex of 5B:

Setting up to pass an M3 going into turn 9:

Turn 9:

On the front straight:

Last edited by Palantirion; 10-11-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 10-11-2011, 04:14 PM
an audience of One

Mein Auto: BMW M Power
Did they repave big Willow?
Old 10-11-2011, 05:09 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by markseven View Post
Did they repave big Willow?
-They slurry coated it earlier this year I think. No conclusive word yet on whether Willow's faster now. I thought it felt a little grippier in general, but my midcorner speed in turn 2 was exactly what I expected based on running NT-02s there before. Certainly not conclusive.
Old 10-25-2011, 03:01 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

A recent development for my Z4 has been treating the paint. After testing a 540 fender (that I painted with acrylic) at Meguiar's I decided to treat the paint on the Z4 using what I learned from that night. The acrylic clearcoat is much more resilient than I expected.

The process I used was red pad with Ultimate Compound, usually two (heavy) applications, followed by black pad with #7 glaze, followed by Tech Wax applied and removed by hand with a rough microfiber applicator (closer to terrycloth) and microfiber buffing cloth.

The interesting thing about this paint is that it requires a long tooth on any towel to really get into all the texture of the paint. Conversely, the paint is so elastic that it's very hard to scratch. So this is a rare circumstance in which a terrycloth rag is better than microfiber.

Here are a couple before/after pic sets that show the effect of this work. Note that the goal is not to eliminate the brush marks, but to bring a more even gloss to the paint.

Before:

After:

The trunk half the blue area has been treated, the roof's half has not:

Before:

After:

Before:

After:

Overall the paint colors are more vivid and the finish is more glass-like. To describe using Home Depot's interior finish chart I would say it's gone from a 3 (satin) to a solid 4 (semi gloss).

Last edited by Palantirion; 10-25-2011 at 03:03 PM.
Old 05-01-2012, 05:57 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

In preparation for Bimmerfest this year I did a quick patch job on Scatha's lower front bumper. Instead of showing the Art Car this year I will be doing an Art Car painting demo through the whole day. This will be intended to show people how to repair damage to acrylic paint, and also show my process for painting the Art Car. Below is a chronological series of this first "patch" repair, sans final buffing.

1) Rock chips, from tracking on a dirty track close behind another car:

2) Wet sanded with 1000 grit:

3) Washed with dish soap to remove residual wax, rinsed, dried:

4) First coat of paint:

5) Second coat of paint (In this case the opacity of the colors allowed for just one coat):

6) Adding the lines:

7) First coat of gloss, to seal the paint:

8) After three coats of gloss, enough for most parts of the car. After fixing the chips on the rest of the bumper this area will receive 10+ coats of clear to make it more durable against future impacts.

This shows the before/after most clearly. So see me fix the rest, come to Bimmerfest 2012!
Old 05-22-2012, 05:25 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Bimmerfest 2012 was awesome! Thanks again to Jon for letting Scatha crash his booth.

This year I thought it would be interesting to do a "painting demo", or if you like:"How to paint an Art Car." Scatha has been driven/tracked so much since BFest '11 that there were plenty of rock chips to repair. So I spent the day repainting the front end, and modifying some color choices. It was a fun way to interact with viewers.

My pics...
Prior to the show opening:

Staged with Jon's E36 and Brian's James Bond 7:

Extending the medium blue further into the front bumper cap:

Also extending the cloud's purple:

Closeup, with dark blue also repainted:

Closeup showing rock chips in unpainted areas:

My 4-year-old helper priming the lower bumper with colored gesso:

Closing time:

Since I was painting I couldn't take pictures of myself painting. So here are a few that have been posted online by others.

Greg'sM///:

Anthony EAS:

Alex Chen:

AutoSpies.com
Old 05-23-2012, 12:23 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: '08 Z4 3.0si Roadie
I saw you working on your paint job while I was at Bimmerfest last Saturday...and although I know I had seen the car on this board before, my mind did not do the mental leaps and I'm ashamed to admit it. My partner stated, as we left, that about 30 minutes after he would have started, his back would have given out. Your car is absolutely beautiful. I hope you had time to enjoy the show.

jake
Old 05-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Mein Auto: 02 M Coupe

Mods: A Few
Old 06-01-2012, 03:52 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by crewdog843 View Post
I saw you working on your paint job while I was at Bimmerfest last Saturday...and although I know I had seen the car on this board before, my mind did not do the mental leaps and I'm ashamed to admit it. My partner stated, as we left, that about 30 minutes after he would have started, his back would have given out. Your car is absolutely beautiful. I hope you had time to enjoy the show.

jake
-I did have a good time. Just never enough time to talk with people, or to visit with vendor friends. Stay tuned for updated pics based on the work I did at BFest...
Old 06-01-2012, 04:09 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Since Bimmerfest I've been finishing the front-end repair in my garage, in my spare time. Overall I think I have 15 hours into it. About what I expected.

Chronologically...
At Bimmerfest, extending the purple and blue:

In the garage, repainting the dark green (a little lighter) and priming the lower bumper areas with colored gesso:

Paint finished:

Linework finished:

Clearcoat started. I think two layers were done at the time of this photo:

Clearcoat finished, seven layers total:

Finished. Grill centers were also repainted, but not the silver trim.

SUMMARY
The old front bumper paint was good when seen in person, but to a camera the subtle variations turned into a "sea of black".

Scatha v1.1 now has more contrast between the shades in the "black area" and also better integrates the cloud and sky colors from the driver-side front fender while maintaining separation of the hood and fender's skies.

Last edited by Palantirion; 06-01-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:50 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

FWY: For those of you in SoCal, Scatha has been invited to display at the CBS Fireworks Festival and TMPCC Car Show on 7-4-12. The show is, as far as I can tell, open to the public. Should be a lot of fun.

Tickets can be purchased here: http://www.studiocitychamber.com/

More info on TMPCC: http://tmpcc.org/
Old 06-26-2012, 01:55 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

I stumbled upon a modeling blog that explained how Future furniture polish makes scale canopies more optically clear. Since Future was designed as a durable covering for floors, and because it uses an acrylic base, I thought I would try it as a top coat over my Lyquitex Gloss Medium clear coat. Below are pics of my 540i test panel.

Untreated:

Leftmost white and black areas treated:

Clearly more glossy than unpolished acrylic art paint:

So the next step was to try it on Scatha.

I painted Future over 1/3 of the roof, which went fine. When I went back 5 hours later (instead of the prescribed 8 hours) and applied a second coat it clouded over:

But thankfully the clouds disappeared as the Future dried. I also applied Future to a small section on Scatha's nose. The glossiness, however, was not significantly better than the Gloss Medium finish after heavy buffing. At this point I was thinking that Future might still be worth the effort as it is harder then the Lyquitex and probably less porous.

After a few days cracking developed on the test panel, having never left my shop area:

The treated sections on Scatha (on more flexible panels) show no or very little cracking. Perhaps sunlight is a factor? Perhaps much of the Future scrubbed off Scatha when I later applied a polymer sealant?

The bottom line is that this experiment is probably not going to bear fruit. The only advantage I can see for Future now is if it seals up the Gloss Medium's micro pores to prevent the yellow footprint of tree sap from being damn near uncleanable.
Old 06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

A few pics from the past weeks car shows...

At E30 MotorWerk's annual Open House:

At the annual Friend's Church car show:

Old 02-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Found out today that the acrylic paint on Scatha can withstand hail. At least for the few minutes it took me to jump out of the shower, grab the nearest underwear, run outside and pull her into the garage.
Old 04-15-2013, 05:40 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Forgot to post pics from the hail incident.

Old 04-15-2013, 05:41 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

And more recently, this:
Old 05-29-2013, 01:01 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

BIMMERFEST!!! (Did I mention I love Bimmerfest?)

This was Scatha's 3rd time at Bimmerfest as an Art Car. Year one (2011) was the unveiling. Year two (2012) was open air painting on the nose, to fix rock chips and modify a few colors. Year three was focused on repainting some midtone greens on the driver side that I thought didn't quite capture illumination from the light source properly. Thanks again to Jon and Tim for putting Scatha in their booth!

Early morning:

Set up, not yet painting:

Most of the day looked like this:

Painting (photos courtesy of Ted Lighthizer):

Look for Scatha in an upcoming documentary about California BMW culture:

End of the show:

After Bimmerfest I still had a lot of work to do. Scatha has two car shows coming up this weekend: Saturday she will be in Chino Hills for the Friends of Steve McQueen benefit car show, and Sunday she will be participating in the Huntington Beach Concours d'Elegance. So into the garage she went.

Before Bimmerfest I did a little Pshop work to get an idea of how the colors should be changed to better integrate lighting on the driver side. As you can see from the images below this was progress but far from where it ended up.

Original:

Pshop test:

By Bimmerfest I knew I needed to have more variety of color throughout the greens. The grass in the Santa Ynez valley goes through a myriad of reflective colors throughout sunset. And to properly replicate the experience as a stylized snapshot I was going to take some artistic license. The first color I painted at Bimmerfest was a darker "purple", meant to replicate some of the shadow color for the grass and bridge the value between the midtone and shadow areas of the composition:

Next was a subdued, but saturated tan to act as the "center" in hue and value of the midtone area. This is the only color that won't end up be repainted after Bimmerfest:

Each color received two coats. You can see here how I chose to make the tan a little stronger on the second pass:

After Bimmerfest I replaced more green with a muddy orange to bridge between the midtone and highlight areas and also reference direct illumination from the sunset.

Then I decided that the "purple" was too dark and too warm in hue for a shadow color in this context. So I mixed up an odd cool gray that ended up being strangely close to the color of the road surface - considering that they share no tube colors at all! This gray was perfect for the coolest color within the midtones, and as the light during sunset can flatten our perception of surfaces I decided not to worry about confusion between the road and hillside.

Next I repainted the direct-light orange, as I felt the current color still wasn't strong enough to draw in light from the sunset:

But that was too bright, and contrasted too much with the cool gray. So I decided to dither out from the light source, selectively replacing bright orange with a darker smoldering orange. This allows the bright orange to bring in color directly from the sunset while naturally transitioning to the shadow colors. It also gives the area a little lateral movement which better frames the sunset:

Lines are added and clearcoat applied. I think these changes make the scene much more integrated. What you can't see in these close-up pics is how the new colors fade out toward the front and rear of the car - where the original midtone greens are preserved. As the sky changes from sunset to midday blues in these same areas, there is much more movement throughout the driver's side of the car now. I'll post more pics after this weekend's shows.
Old 11-21-2013, 08:47 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

It's been a very, very long time since I updated Scatha's status. My apologies. This past summer and fall were full of car shows, and this left no time for tracking. This is a pattern I will not be repeating. Most recently Scatha has been kicked out of the garage to make room for a new project. So I had a car cover made for her. Details are here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...01#post7971601

Last edited by Palantirion; 11-21-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:44 PM
Z4 Mvangelist

Awesome SoCal car show this past weekend. Info here: http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...80#post8009080