Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions

General BMW Questions
Use this forum to ask general question about the BMW ownership and keep up on the latest BMW news. Direct all model specific questions to model specific forums below.

Old 02-06-2016, 08:45 PM

Mein Auto: Various
3 Series vs 5 Series

I'm really wanting a BMW and first wanted a 06-10 5 Series because I am 6'04" but after sitting in a 02 328xi and 06 330xi I can fit into those pretty good. I have read that the 3 series are faster because of the weight but I won't be racing it. I believe the 5 series will have more rear seat room for passengers. Is that true?

Do the 530 and 330 share the same engine (also 535 vs 335)? What about transmission and AWD system?

Thanks
Advertisement
Old Yesterday, 11:31 AM

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 323i
I always say test drive as many cars as possible for long periods of time to make sure your fully happy with your choice. I was open to both the 3 & 5 series cars when searching because at 5-11 I can fit well in both.
Old Yesterday, 12:18 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: Chevy half ton pickup
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post
I believe the 5 series will have more rear seat room for passengers. Is that true?
Yes My son is 6' 2" and drives a 2009 135i so check them out also.

Check out Certified Pre-Owned BMWs. This adds an additional two years to the original warranty up to 100,000 miles whichever comes first. It will show you all the BMWs within that distance.

Just enter your zip code then when the page comes up select the distance you are willing to travel to check out BMWs. You can Look at all the 5 series the 3 series and maybe even the 1 series within the range you selected.

http://cpo.bmwusa.com/

You can download a BMW owners manual all the way back to 2004. You have to scroll down to see all the BMW models.

http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Owner/dgh.aspx

Last edited by Norm37; Yesterday at 12:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 02:55 PM

Mein Auto:
I had a 3 series prior to my 5 and although I loved the sporty feel of the 3, I truly loved the comfort of the 5!
Old Yesterday, 06:44 PM

Mein Auto: BMW X5 xDrive35d
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowekmr View Post

Do the 530 and 330 share the same engine (also 535 vs 335)?

Thanks
The 530i and the 330i do share a similar engine. So does the 535i and the 335i, they are turbo charged or twin turbo charged depending on the year, and have more power and generally gets better fuel economy. Overall, they do seem to suffer more in terms of reliability.

Last edited by BMW X5 35d; Yesterday at 06:53 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:26 PM

Mein Auto: '13 328cic,'04 325,09 528
I have both. A 328 vert and a 528. I got the 3 for my wife, I love it, but in my line of work, I have to carry clients. I'm 5'10 and it's a task to sit in the back of the 328.

For comfort and passengers, get a 5 series. My 528 is still fun, but it takes good care of comfort for all involved.

Good luck in your search......go slow, be picky, it's out there.

See More Related BMW Stories

Forum Navigation
Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW Questions
Today's Posts Search