Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > General BMW

General BMW
Use this forum to talk about general BMW news/stories and to chat with fellow enthusiasts about the direction that BMW is going in for their cars and/or motorcycles!

Old 05-21-2014, 12:12 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Question Acceptable mileage for a service department test drive?

Long story short, I recently dropped off my 2011 M3 Sedan for minor service (trim pieces like A/C vent handle and door panel clips not holding...only issue was the rough idle at cold start beginning to creep back up) at Momentum BMW West in Houston. The only work performed for the idle was checking for faults, they weren't able to verify so they reset all "adaptation values".

So after waiting for the vehicle for a few minutes (and not seeing anyone near my car), I asked the porter if I could just have the keys so I could get it myself. That's when I found out they were unable to locate the key fob. 45 minutes later after my wife had dropped the spare fob off, I'm pulling out of the dealership when I look at the mileage. It's 17 miles higher than when I dropped it off, but also 13 more miles than what the "mileage out" shows on the paperwork. According to the invoice, the dealership put 4 miles on the car. The odometer showed 17. (I didn't note it when I dropped it off nor did I reset the trip computer.)

So is 17 miles within the standard range for the amount of work performed? I've put a call into the service manager (but have found other posts regarding this dealership that show a pattern of disregarding customer inquiries). I'm also tempted to contact BMW NA to find out 1)is 17 miles acceptable for a test drive and 2) what possible reasons could there be for a 13 mile discrepancy in what the paperwork shows and what the car shows.

Of course, the story about the M5 owner who had his vehicle wrecked while the service techs had it out on a "test drive" comes to mind and I'm assuming that the techs took some liberties in driving the vehicle while he had it. Maybe not, but it's the only reason I could come up with as to why someone would drive the vehicle for 17 miles for such a small amount of work.

Regardless, both the lost key fob and the mileage have caused me to lose any faith in this dealership and it's ability (desire?) to care for customers' possessions while under their control.

I've never been a big fan of this dealership, but it's more convenient than my preferred dealership and as I didn't need a loaner, it was just easier. Needless to say, I won't be going back (after picking up the replacement fob that they had to order).

Last edited by paul.r; 05-21-2014 at 12:17 PM.
Ads by Google
Old 05-21-2014, 03:24 PM

Mein Auto: '13 320i, occ. use of X3
I really doubt BMW NA will do anything other than label you as a problem customer.

A likely explanation was that someone did an errand with your car. What I would do would be to consider whether their technical ability to do repairs are better and if there are other available dealers or independents that you think are better.

Expressing displeasure to the dealer as well as making a request not to drive your car around at the time you bring the car in again (if you do bring the car to them) are probably the best measures.

I don't think most dealers care about your car. There can be variations, though, between lack of any care and desire to do a professional job. I found that independents are often better at conveying that they did a professional job, even if they don't wash the car and have lattes.

Once one dealer scratched a wheel when washing it. I didn't hold them to it except to let them know by phone. The next time, I brought the car for them to fix some trim and the service advisor had them work on the car without driving it. They just worked in the check in area even though I didn't make any requests. I was probably called a problem customer in their logs!

Last edited by Dave 20T; 05-21-2014 at 03:30 PM.
Old 05-22-2014, 10:48 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 X5 5.0
Last time I made a service appointment for my X5, BMW of Manhattan told me to make sure I brought it in with at least a half tank of gas. Naturally I asked why? Sometimes cars have to be stored off site, I was told. Given how busy that dealership is (200 used and 400 new car sales per month if I remember) and all the new development around the dealership now, I could see why. I didn't notice any extra mileage when I picked her up though.

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 05-22-2014, 11:11 AM
Steve In Texas

Mein Auto: 2014 X1 x35i
Wink

Did the service manager look at all like this?
Old 05-22-2014, 05:51 PM

Mein Auto: 09 335Cabrio zsp/11 335d
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe 92 View Post
Did the service manager look at all like this?
Man that was Classic! N4S
Old 05-22-2014, 06:18 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
17miles is abit extreme given the amount of work required. My tech drove my car for 100miles but it was for a larger repair and they asked permission prior, just didn't tell me before hand how many miles they were going to drive it. The tech drove it home and kept it overnight to ensure the problem didn't appear again. At this point there's really nothing you can do. 17miles isn't a lot in BMW eyes. I always make sure I note the mileage before leaving the car and make sure its correct with the SA before I hand the keys over.

Old 05-22-2014, 06:20 PM

Mein Auto: x3 35i
Not to change subject but does bmw really label clients as a problem client? What happens when they do?

Old 05-24-2014, 08:02 PM

Mein Auto: 2000 323i
I hope Momentum is going to replace and reprogram a new fob for you.

And yeah...17 miles is to much. I mean they really didn't do any driveability work right...just ran some codes?

Old 05-24-2014, 11:18 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 X3 28i
Let the dealership people know that you noticed and disapprove of it - then forget about it.

2014 X3 xDrive28i
Old 05-31-2014, 12:38 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 E90 M3 DCT
Thanks. I wont contact BMW NA but will be sure to answer the survey honestly when it comes.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:02 AM

Mein Auto: 2014 335i F30 Sedan
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyver626 View Post
Not to change subject but does bmw really label clients as a problem client? What happens when they do?

Yeah... never heard of this either. Color me skeptical.
Old 06-01-2014, 07:24 PM
BMW Snow Plow User

Mein Auto: 330ci Convertible 2004
Honestly. Sometimes I wish they would test drive more. At least you are more likely to make it off the lot before the next check engine light comes on.