Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)

X5 E53 (1999 - 2006)
The X5 SAV Forum

Old 03-02-2004, 10:37 AM

Mein Auto: 2004 X5 4.4
04' 4.4i Radio in for Problem 30 days old

Well, I finally broke down and took X5 into the shop for the radio problems. I'm having problem with static on channels in the car that are the strongest in the city. I've never seen any car have problem receiving these channels. It also seems to have a volume problem. At city driving speeds (under 35mph) the volume seems to randomly go up and down a few notches.

The dealer drove the car without me in it yesterday and said he couldn't hear the problem. Then I showed up, got in with him and within 100yds of driving he heard it and continued to hear it through our little 2 min drive around the block. I guess he wasn't listening to the station loud enough to notice the drops in volume.

So... sounds like they are targetting the Amp or the Radio and possibly both as a swap out.

Anyone else have similar problems with their X5? I've read and heard about AM reception problems, but these are FM reception (and volume) problems I'm talking about.

Thanks!
Tom
04' X5 4.4i, with DSP and Nav, also SP, PP, CP
Ads by Google
Old 03-02-2004, 04:21 PM
I always have an opinion

Mein Auto: '06 325xiT
I've not had any trouble with my X5 radio, but the problem you describe sounds similar to one I had with an older Mercedes.

We gradually replaced everything - first the head unit (it didn't have CD player), then the amp, and then finally the speakers. It turned out we had a bad speaker wire. I'm not sure if it's a bad or good thing - it would have been cheaper to just locate and fix the bad speaker wire, but in the end, when everything was replaced, it sure sounded good!

2006 325xiT | Alpine White | Black Leather