Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > X Series > X3 F25 (2011 - current)

X3 F25 (2011 - current)
The latest X3 brings some added style and some new features to the BMW SUV family. Talk about the new F25 now!

Old 05-16-2011, 10:20 AM

Mein Auto: Cadillac CTS
Base model?

First time poster here.

My lease is up at the end of July and am considering the X3 28i, however it is a business car and I'm on a budget. Figured out all the monthly payments and if I want the X3; I'm going to have to get it base (close to base...maybe could go up $1k)

I'm concerned about a couple of things:
- The look of Leatherette vs. Leather?
- The look of the silver matte trim?
- Are there any must have options you suggest (that aren't included in the packages?)

Has anybody on here gotten one almost completely base? If so, how do you like it and could you post interior pictures? Any other opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Ads by Google
Old 05-16-2011, 04:15 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 BMW X3 28i
Must haves are very subjective. The car does come very well equipped as a base model.

Seeing that you're in Chicago a must have is the winter package. Those heated seats are a MUST!

The leatherette looks good IMO. Most will think it's real leather.
Xenon's are a must for me as it really improves my night vision.

Roof rails if you plan on hauling anything.

Park distance control or backup camera is a nice safety feature.

The base handling is good and much better than just about anything out there. The extra sports options are a heck of a lot of fun, but for driving the pot-hole bad concrete roads in Chicago, even with those sport options I'm willing to bet that 90% of your time would be spend in normal mode.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:31 PM
Tar Heel Faithful

Send a message via AIM to AzNMpower32
Mein Auto: 2006 325i sport
There is absolutely nothing wrong with a base model. In the US, we already get a lot of standard features that other countries have to pay extra for.

If you are on a budget, get either the bi-xenon headlights or the Park Distance Control a la carte. If you're doing mostly urban driving, pick the latter. More rural driving, the former. The Bi-xenons include cornering lights, adaptive headlight control, LED DRLs and taillights so it's a pretty good deal.

A few classified Ads from Germany (where everything costs extra)- don't worry, the US gets more standard equipment like an automatic transmission and iDrive. Click on the picture in the ad for the slideshow.

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=v4cdlrtv4rug

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.aspx?id=b4lrurxe4gja

http://www.autoscout24.de/Details.as...ihijum&asrc=fa

Last edited by AzNMpower32; 05-16-2011 at 06:33 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 06:39 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 28i & 2013 328iX
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdhoosier View Post
First time poster here.

My lease is up at the end of July and am considering the X3 28i, however it is a business car and I'm on a budget. Figured out all the monthly payments and if I want the X3; I'm going to have to get it base (close to base...maybe could go up $1k)

I'm concerned about a couple of things:
- The look of Leatherette vs. Leather?
- The look of the silver matte trim?
- Are there any must have options you suggest (that aren't included in the packages?)

Has anybody on here gotten one almost completely base? If so, how do you like it and could you post interior pictures? Any other opinions/feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
My car is coming with Black letherette and the standard silver matte... and it will look just fine!!! Don't get carried away with these issues specially that it is a lease. My car is mine and I took those same options.
I spent a couple of days evaluating the difference between leather and letherette and to be really honest, I couldn't justify the price difference $2,000 which accounts for a solid 55" Sony Bravia HD TV that you can enjoy at home!!!!
Go for functionalities that would make your life and driving easier...not looks!
for a $1k, I'd go for the PDC and things like that...

Last edited by Shaw; 05-16-2011 at 06:40 PM.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:51 PM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
The base X3 is a great vehicle and is well equipped.

I personally don't think there is much of a difference between leather and leatherette. In fact, leatherette might be more durable. No one will know the difference unless you confess.

If I were to splurge on one thing, without question it would be the panoramic moonroof. It transforms the interior making it airy and bright.
Old 05-17-2011, 06:59 AM

Mein Auto: Cadillac CTS
Thanks...I really appreciate the feedback. I guess my main concern was the the leatherette....most of the other options I can do without. I currently have a 07 CTS, and frankly, don't use a lot of those features anyway. My wife may miss the heated seats, but after using them for 1 minute I'm uncomfortably hot. The only thing I will miss is that Oyster Leather...I just think that color looks incredible.

I'm going to pull the trigger and just get the pull up shades in the back (you'd think my kid is a vampire when the sunlight hits him).
Old 05-17-2011, 07:14 AM

Mein Auto: 2011 528iSport, 2012 E93
I would spring for the heated seats. I love mine in my F10 and I live in Ca. You have cold winters and it would be well worth it to get them.

2011 F10 sport, 2012 E93M sport (totaled)
Old 05-17-2011, 11:37 AM

Mein Auto: '06 X3
+1 on the heated seats. I have them in my '06 X3 and they are great! BTW, those and the 18" factory wheel option are the only options on my car and it has everything I want or need, even the sunroof and roof rails which I didn't want and would not have gotten, but they were included in the base price.

Last edited by UncleJ; 05-17-2011 at 11:38 AM.
Old 05-17-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judyg951 View Post
I would spring for the heated seats. I love mine in my F10 and I live in Ca. You have cold winters and it would be well worth it to get them.
His sig says he's from Chicago, so it will get sub zero in the winter.
Heck it was only 38 when I left for work today.

Get your facts first, and then you can distort them as much as you please. (Mark Twain)

any spelling or gramitical errors on my part are just glitches that appear to those that are not pproperly keyed into my code generator. If this occurs, pleas PM me for an updated deKription key.
Old 05-17-2011, 10:25 PM

Mein Auto: 11 E93is & 11 F25 N55
I agree with all of the other posts in regards to options, but if the X3 is a business car for you then don't forget the tax benefits of the business expense. Meaning, based on your federal tax bracket (assumed 25%) for example a $500 per month payment will have a 'net' cost of around $375 based on the tax deduction. Figure out how much you want your 'net' monthly lease payment to be and then work backwards with the tax deduction of the business expense. You could probably afford more options (if $500 is your 'net' budget amount, then your 'gross' payment should be $666). This is based on if your leasing and and assuming 100% of the car is used for business.

2015 X5 50i M Sport- On order
2015 435 Cabrio M-Sport ED (9/2014) On order
2011 X3 xDrive 35i M-Sport (6/2011 PCD) Soon to be retired.
2011 335is Cabrio ED (9/2010)/PCD (12/2010) Soon to be retired.
2007 X3is PCD (1/2007)-Retired
2007 335i Cabrio PCD (6/2007)-Retired
2004 328i Cabrio PCD (3/2004)-Retired
BMWCCA Lifetime Member
Old 05-18-2011, 06:33 AM

Mein Auto: German
If you're really keeping to a budget:

I'd suggest:

Bi-Xenons (they really are worth the cost)
PDC + rear view camera
Heated seats (automatically adds heated steering wheel)

I know I can't live without these features on my new X5d
Old 05-18-2011, 07:22 AM

Does the heated seat option automatically include the heated steering wheel now? In my '06 it is was stand alone item (the seats).
Old 05-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Does the heated seat option automatically include the heated steering wheel now? In my '06 it is was stand alone item (the seats).
Heated seats are separate from the Steering wheel heating. The latter requires the former, though.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:54 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 M Coupe
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Heated seats are separate from the Steering wheel heating. The latter requires the former, though.
Are you sure about that? It is my understanding that with the F25 for the US market the heated seats and steering wheel are always bundled together.
Old 05-18-2011, 10:21 AM

Mein Auto: German
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhrir View Post
Are you sure about that? It is my understanding that with the F25 for the US market the heated seats and steering wheel are always bundled together.
On BMW's website online, when you're under options, when you add heated seats, it automatically adds heated steering wheel. Maybe when you custom-order thru the dealer, then you can get it seperately, but online, you can't
Old 05-18-2011, 10:59 AM
Tar Heel Faithful

Huh, that's a new marketing decision for the X3 then (one that I disagree with). Makes the case for getting the entire Cold Weather pack then, since you're forced to pay $190 on top of $500 for the heated seats and steering wheel.
Old 05-18-2011, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AzNMpower32 View Post
Huh, that's a new marketing decision for the X3 then (one that I disagree with). Makes the case for getting the entire Cold Weather pack then, since you're forced to pay $190 on top of $500 for the heated seats and steering wheel.
It's still cheaper to do it this way if you don't need the rear seats heated and the headlight washers.

$1,150.00 vs $690.00

Old 05-18-2011, 03:49 PM
Retired

Mein Auto: 12 z & 09 Accord Coupe
seats and wheel are the only way...at this point...

RTOM.....
Old 05-18-2011, 08:24 PM

Sports package will be a huge bang for the buck for you... you get the xline trim, and more importantly the sport seats, which might be my favorite thing about the vehicle, thank G-D i got them because I was so close to not... they will really add a step up to the interior and the overall luxuriousness of the car.. i do have premium package as well so I cant answer about the leatherette but I dont believe you'll get the contrast stitching w/ the leatherette... Id say if you go premium package + sports package... you're not going to feel like your car is base anything!

Last edited by jasonskitchen; 05-18-2011 at 08:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:05 AM

Just be sure you really like those sport seats -- not everyone does. I found them very uncomfortable in my short test drive of the new X3. I wanted to drive one without the sport package but for some reason none was on offer at that time.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:12 AM

Mein Auto: BMW X3
Heated seats and bi-xenons is the only 2 options I would get.
Old 05-19-2011, 01:47 PM

Mein Auto: 2011 X3 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleJ View Post
Just be sure you really like those sport seats -- not everyone does. I found them very uncomfortable in my short test drive of the new X3. I wanted to drive one without the sport package but for some reason none was on offer at that time.
Did you know you can adjust the side bolsters on the sport seats? Makes a big difference on how they feel!
Old 05-19-2011, 03:15 PM

Mein Auto: 11 E93is & 11 F25 N55
The OP has selected the 28i, so I don't feel that he's into the performance aspect of the sports suspension and sport seats, as either ZAP or ZMP should be a must when ordering the 35i.

I assume that its going to be a lease, so leatherette would be fine, but if it was purchased then leather should be considered for the re-sale value.

I personally feel that Navigation, heat front seats, xenons and premium package should be ordered, as these options add to the safety of the car.

2015 X5 50i M Sport- On order
2015 435 Cabrio M-Sport ED (9/2014) On order
2011 X3 xDrive 35i M-Sport (6/2011 PCD) Soon to be retired.
2011 335is Cabrio ED (9/2010)/PCD (12/2010) Soon to be retired.
2007 X3is PCD (1/2007)-Retired
2007 335i Cabrio PCD (6/2007)-Retired
2004 328i Cabrio PCD (3/2004)-Retired
BMWCCA Lifetime Member
Old 05-19-2011, 05:05 PM

Uncle j - me too until I learned the side bolsters were adjustable. Whoever sat in before me had them super tight
Old 05-19-2011, 06:53 PM

Mein Auto: X3
I have sat in other BMW sport seats and didn't like them much but these are by far the best I have sat in. They are soooo comfortable. (When adjusted correctly I might add.) I am so glad I got the SAP.

-CR