Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-16-2013, 02:48 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6
HELP diagnosing broken shifter!

I was parking and put my car into reverse and before I know it I hear a snapping like sound and the knob is moves out of place all the way to the left. I believe I have a rogue engineering SSK (rogue decal on shifter) which the previous owner had installed. It has been fine up till now with no signs of any problems this just happened out of nowhere.

Also even when its pushed in "gear" you can move the shifter all the way left and right. You can push it into a spot where the gear should be but the car won't engage.

Can anyone help eleborate on what is wrong and how I should go about fixing this?

Here is a video demonstrating what is wrong.

Ads by Google
Old 11-16-2013, 03:55 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Your going to have to get under the car to take a look at the linkage.
If you pull the shifter straight up is it loose? If not, get under the car.
The back of the shifting arm, #2 that the shift ball fits into is attached to the body with a bearing, #14. This bearing just pops into a few slots on the body.
The "bearing" is just a round metal tube with rubber on the inside that the back of the shift arm slides into.
I think that this piece has come loose. Hopefully you can reuse it as its now a $100 part that a few years ago was ~$20. The price is wrong in RealOEM.
http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=25&fg=05

Last edited by JimLev; 11-16-2013 at 04:15 AM. Reason: Added link and fixed typos
Old 11-16-2013, 11:09 AM

Mein Auto: 1998 528i 5-sp 103K miles
This post below should help you fix the problem.

DIY: E39 Short Shifter Kit using E60 545i shifter
http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=546591
Old 11-16-2013, 11:51 AM

I don't really undestand how #14 is the problem. it seems as though #2 has snapped hence why I am able to move the shifter so freely, but I wouldn't know forsure im no expert haha. But anyways I'm going to hopefully be able to get the car towed back to my house soon and I'll take a look inside.

Also thanks for that DIY cn90 I'll take a look at it once I have my car in my possession its currently parked at a friend's house where this shifter 'snapped'.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:59 PM

2 fits into 14.
If 14 has come loose 2 will flop around side to side.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
2 fits into 14.
If 14 has come loose 2 will flop around side to side.
Thanks for the help. I see what you mean, now that I have been able to go underneath my car. Can you watch this video and tell me if you recognize the problem or whatnot? Item #2 seems to be pretty loose when I'm moving around the shifter connected to it.

Another top view in the drivers seat but with the rubber boot off.

Last edited by b2ke; 11-17-2013 at 03:26 PM.
Old 11-17-2013, 03:50 PM

I didn't really see anything abnormal, but the video of under the car was difficult to see what was happening.
Didn't look like you moved the shifter L/R as much as you did before.
The front of the shift arm is pinned to the top rear of the tranny. The rear fits into the bearing that is attached to the body.
Get under the car again and see if you can move it with your hand.
The shift rod that connects to your stick shift connects to the top back of the tranny too. You need to have someone in the car moving the shifter with you under the car so you can see what's really happening.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:17 PM

See if I can move the shift arm with my hand under the car? If so then no. But I can move the selector rod pretty easily which is what that first video of me under the car is.

Also I started shifting while my dad was under the car. It seems as though the problem is/closer to the tranny and we cannot see that part of the car. Looks like I'm going to need to get it towed to the shop sadly as we can't get access to where the problem is.
Old 11-17-2013, 04:18 PM

Mein Auto: e39
There is no obvious cause shown in the videos. Determine whether the selector rod is connected at transmission. Use a mirror if necessary. You should not be able to move the selector rod easily by hand. If the shift rod at the transmission moves easily by hand you have an internal issue. This is not likely but start from there.
Old 11-17-2013, 05:02 PM

Here's a few pics I took when I changed my clutch 4 years ago. The text was added when I was helping another person.
The numbers refer to the diagram in RealOEM.
The C ring holds the pin in place to allow the shift rod to shift the tranny.
If you remove the rear cross support and lower the back of the tranny with a jack you will be able to get a much better look at the top rear of the tranny.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...09&hg=25&fg=05

There how the shift arm attaches to the tranny. The selector rod is disconnected.

2000 540/6 Slightly tweeked...everywhere

Last edited by JimLev; 11-17-2013 at 05:14 PM. Reason: added link and another pic
Old 11-17-2013, 05:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmjd View Post
There is no obvious cause shown in the videos. Determine whether the selector rod is connected at transmission. Use a mirror if necessary. You should not be able to move the selector rod easily by hand. If the shift rod at the transmission moves easily by hand you have an internal issue. This is not likely but start from there.

I will check again tomorrow if the selector rod (#4) is connected to the tranny. However I can move it easily by hand...
you can see me moving it at 25 seconds in, I just move it a little to show.

If the selector rod (#4) is indeed connected to the tranny and I am able to move it easily by hand, then is it likely I have an internal issue?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
Here's a few pics I took when I changed my clutch 4 years ago. The text was added when I was helping another person.
The numbers refer to the diagram in RealOEM.
The C ring holds the pin in place to allow the shift rod to shift the tranny.
If you remove the rear cross support and lower the back of the tranny with a jack you will be able to get a much better look at the top rear of the tranny.
Seeing as I can move the selector rod (#4) easily by hand, could it be items #5-10 be the problem?
Old 11-17-2013, 06:05 PM

In answer to your questions, yes and yes. Try use a mirror to see what it looks like.
Old 11-17-2013, 06:29 PM

Alright I'll check it tomorrow, I'm hoping I just need to replace items #5-10 rather than having internal tranny problems. I really can't afford to pay someone to fix this if its serious

To add I never had problems shifting in gears or driving in any gears. When the shifter first 'broke' the other night I was driving perfectly fine throughout the day and then all of a sudden this happens. I'm no expert but if it was a transmission problem wouldn't I be experiencing symptoms rather than it just break out of nowhere?

Last edited by b2ke; 11-17-2013 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 11:43 AM

I think I may have found the problem. Pretty much everything seems to be connected fine. However I did not have a mirror to see closer to the end of the selector rod (#4) connected to the gearshift rod joint (#7). So I took pictures and also felt up the end of the selector rod (#4) where it connects to the tranny.

As you can see the selector rod (#4) looks a little off from connected to the gearshift rod joint (#7) whether it is suppose to look a little off or not I do not know.

Which brings me to this...

This is an image of a brand NEW rogue engineering selector rod (#4) ^

Now here is both ends of MY selector rod (#4) (I still haven't fully taken it out yet to inspect)...
This end connected to the shifter

and this is the other end connected to the gearshift rod joint (#7)...

In my conclusion it seems that this part on one end of the selector rod is missing which I'm hoping is the problem. So I just need to get a new one...right?

Last edited by b2ke; 11-18-2013 at 01:39 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:33 PM

In the second picture the selector rod connection doesn't look quite right to me but if you're sure it's all properly connected then the only other thing it could be is the pin #10 that connects #7 to the shift rod. Are you absolutely sure that everything is connected properly? Can you put one finger on the shift rod at the trans and move the selector rod and see if the shift rod moves? The next step is to pull the exhaust and drop the driveshaft if necessary to get a good look at things. If it ends up being an internal issue you'll have to do that to pull the trans anyway. On the plus side it appears that your shift rod seal is still good, so that's something.

Last edited by djmjd; 11-18-2013 at 01:34 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djmjd View Post
In the second picture the selector rod connection doesn't look quite right to me but if you're sure it's all properly connected then the only other thing it could be is the pin #10 that connects #7 to the shift rod. Are you absolutely sure that everything is connected properly? Can you put one finger on the shift rod at the trans and move the selector rod and see if the shift rod moves? The next step is to pull the exhaust and drop the driveshaft if necessary to get a good look at things. If it ends up being an internal issue you'll have to do that to pull the trans anyway. On the plus side it appears that your shift rod seal is still good, so that's something.
Check my post again I just editted it with pictures. Let me know what you think!

thanks.
Old 11-18-2013, 01:53 PM

That does make it look like the selector rod is the issue. Pull it out and take a look. The clips #6 come off fairly easily and are reusable if you don't mangle them.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:13 PM

Looks like you found the problem.
Remove the tranny support and use a jack to lower the rear of the tranny a few inches.
You will have much more room the get in there.
I've got a Rouge shifter too.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:42 PM

I've removed both the securing clips however the end that is connected to the shifter is a bit stuck and I'm having a hardtime trying to slide it out.

Heres the end of my rod compared to a brand new one. Not only is the little black bolt missing but there is a gap in the piece.

Another thing is that I am able to wiggle the gear shift rod (#7) from left to right. Will I need to replace this too or is that normal?

Last edited by b2ke; 11-18-2013 at 02:54 PM.
Old 11-18-2013, 06:58 PM

That missing allen bolt keeps the rod attached to the end piece. That's the problem, replace the bolt and you'll be ready to roll.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:38 PM

Okay thanks for the help. I emailed Rogue and was told it was an "old selector rod" and that I could send it in for FREE repair. Unless do you think I could find a bolt at an auto store?
Old 11-18-2013, 08:19 PM

You probably could find the correct bolt, but you would need to take the rod out to make sure you get the correct bolt.
Ask Rouge, they should be able to tell you the thread size/pitch.
Rouge is a stand up company, I visited their shop many years ago before I bought my SSK.
After I had it for a few years I had a problem with the shifter rod (the one the knob attaches to), they sent me a new one no charge.
Old 11-19-2013, 12:10 AM

#7 should pivot side to side along the axis of pin #10.