Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > 5 Series > E39 (1997 - 2003)

E39 (1997 - 2003)
The BMW 5-Series (E39 chassis) was introduced in the United States as a 1997 model year car and lasted until the 2004 when the E60 chassis was released. The United States saw several variations including the 525i, 528i, 530i and 540i. -- View the E39 Wiki

Old 11-15-2013, 06:17 PM
Young Gun.

Mein Auto: 01 525i
Crazy wheel shipping idea...

So I am flying back home soon for Thanksgiving and I'm flying Southwest. I have 4 wheels that I'd like to bring home with me to get refinished...Do you think I can somehow bring the rims in my luggage if I wrap them up well? If I remove the tires they SHOULD be able to fit in a suitcase since they're just 17" rims....PLus I'm flying down with someone else and we both get two free bags, do the math and you have four possible wheel bags!

I checked the airline's luggage policy and there was nothing about not bringing auto rims in your suitcase...but that could just be because it's so absurd that they don't feel they need to list it.

What do you smart guys think? Is it doable? Is it even worth it?
Old 11-15-2013, 07:01 PM
BMW's are like women. $$$

Mein Auto: 1999 BMW 528i T Wagon

I suggest you call them. I don't think it will be a problem, but you never know

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app
Old 11-15-2013, 07:46 PM
Young Gun.

I think I'll do that. I'm gonna need to pack them up well, I know how rough the carriers can be with the bags.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:28 PM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Shouldn't be a problem, I've brought all kind of things home from Eurpoe and Asia before. Never had a problem and I had to go thru customs.
Old 11-15-2013, 11:30 PM

Mein Auto: 2001 530i
I wouldn't bother with a suitcase just get them wrapped well. They will likely go through the odd or oversized luggage system anyway.

Recently four of us carried a huge tradeshow stand which was going on a 20x40ft booth and had no issues. They don't care what you carry so long as it's not dangerous or illegal.
Old 11-16-2013, 04:43 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
This is not a problem for the airline. The bigger risk is them losing one of the rims, especially if you have to change planes!
Old 11-16-2013, 05:12 AM

Mein Auto: 540/6, S60 Volvo, Tribeca
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fudman View Post
This is not a problem for the airline. The bigger risk is them losing one of the rims, especially if you have to change planes!
This is true. Put tags or something with your info on the upside of each wheel before you wrap them up. Typically if it gets lost and the outer baggage tag is missing they will open it up to see if there is anything inside that will identify the owner.
Old 11-16-2013, 05:58 AM
Young Gun.

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimLev View Post
This is true. Put tags or something with your info on the upside of each wheel before you wrap them up. Typically if it gets lost and the outer baggage tag is missing they will open it up to see if there is anything inside that will identify the owner.
Yeah, that wouldn't be a fun scenario...If I take them that's something I'll have to do.

So I shouldn't even bother getting them in a bag? I could follow the wheel packing guide posted on the wheel and tires board but then I feel like the airline will try to charge me even more if I have them separately...

P.S the whole point of this plan is I'm a cheapo and I'd like to do this only if it's cheaper than freighting them down.

Last edited by kevbot13; 11-16-2013 at 05:59 AM. Reason: explanation of my frugality.
Old 11-16-2013, 06:30 AM

Mein Auto: '02 530i Sport auto
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevbot13 View Post
Yeah, that wouldn't be a fun scenario...If I take them that's something I'll have to do.

So I shouldn't even bother getting them in a bag? I could follow the wheel packing guide posted on the wheel and tires board but then I feel like the airline will try to charge me even more if I have them separately...

P.S the whole point of this plan is I'm a cheapo and I'd like to do this only if it's cheaper than freighting them down.
Call the airline for a clarification (does your luggage require a handle?). You should be able to do this.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:31 PM
Young Gun.

Quote:
Call the airline for a clarification (does your luggage require a handle?). You should be able to do this.
Called them today. It's no problem to ship them! Don't even need a handle, the representative just told me that I might want to put them in a box or wrap them for their own protection. That went so much better than I expected. After shipping my bicycle all over the country and paying fees upwards of 100 dollars one way (Never flying Delta again) I expected ridiculous fees. Now I get to ship my wheels down the country at no additional charge and frankly I don't believe it. Gotta love Southwest!

Sent from BimmerApp mobile app