Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 09-28-2014, 07:34 PM

Mein Auto: Lancer
Question about side mirror in 2012 E89

Hi,

I recently bought 2012 E89 CPO vehicle few days ago and I have been enjoying it a lot. However, I am curious about one thing.

When I change the gear to 'R', the right side mirror automatically points downward, which is convenient for me. However, left side mirror does not do that. Is this suppose to be like this or configurable? Or does my left side mirror has problem?

If it is a mechanical problem that should not happen, will it cost money to fix it at the dealership? The car is still under original warranty and also has extended CPO warranty. I wonder if bumper to bumper warranty covers it.
Advertisement
Old 09-29-2014, 12:35 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 is
mirrors

Hi this is correct only the passager mirror tilts when put into reverse gear and drivers mirror does not tilt. It must be a German thing other cars both mirror tilt when put into reverse.
Old 09-29-2014, 02:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mopars1964 View Post
Hi this is correct only the passager mirror tilts when put into reverse gear and drivers mirror does not tilt. It must be a German thing other cars both mirror tilt when put into reverse.
I am unsure if this is a joke/sarcasm or if this is real. In fact, I had never owned German cars before this Z4, so I cannot verify this..
Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i, 2006 525xi
A simple reading of your owner's manual will resolve your question.

2012 Z4 35i, ED 2/24/12, Melbourne Red Metallic, Black leather, 6 MT, ///M Sport, Premium Package, Premium Sound Package, Cold Weather Package, Nav, Comfort Access, LED Angel Eyes, BMWPedals pedal covers, stubby antenna, Luxon strut bar, CF engine cover, LCI side marker, powder coated calipers, Extra Enjoyment Package
Old 09-29-2014, 11:29 AM

Mein Auto: Z4 is
Hi yes its in the manual and the answer I gave you was not a joke.
Old 09-29-2014, 05:04 PM

Mein Auto: not a Z4 just yet
Quote:
Originally Posted by pthread View Post
I am unsure if this is a joke/sarcasm or if this is real. In fact, I had never owned German cars before this Z4, so I cannot verify this..
No joke. And I think if you move the mirror selection switch to the other mirror, it won't do it if you don't like it.
Old 09-29-2014, 08:08 PM

Thanks everyone for the reply. I looked up owner's manual as suggested, and I was able to verify that it is an expected behavior. It is called 'Automatic Curb Monitor', and it is enabled in passenger side mirror only. Sliding the mirror change over to the left will enable it while reversing. Sliding the mirror change over to the right will disable it.

Thanks everyone!