Welcome to Bimmerfest -- The #1 Online Community for BMW related information! Please enjoy the discussion forums below and share your experiences with the 200,000 current, new and past BMW owners. The forums are broken out by car model and into other special interest sections such as BMW European Delivery and a special forum to voice your questions to the many BMW dealers on the site to assist our members!

Please follow the links below to help get you started!

Go Back   Bimmerfest - BMW Forums > BMW Model Discussions > Z Series > E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

E89 Z4 (2009 - current)

Old 07-10-2013, 04:42 AM

Mein Auto: 2009 Z4 sDrive 3.5i
Question Cracked Rims and a couple of questions

See update in post #10 below!!!

Hello, My first post here, but unfortunately it is because of cracked rims on my Z4 (19inch/RFT, OEM 296's) I have read the many posts about the issue, but still have a couple of questions.

1. My Z4 is a 2009 CPO, purchased by me in February, does part of the CPO certification of a car certify that the rims are NOT cracked? I want to understand if my normal driving is the cause, or if the damage was done before I got the car.

2. Has anyone figured out a Wheel/Tire combination (19 inch) that seems to be more reliable?

3. Does anyone know the results of any of the Class Action suits that were as a result of this issue and can you point me to links that show any resolutions?

4. Does BMW still sell the Wheel/Tire combination in the US, or have they changed the parts to help get rid of the issue?

Thanks everybody for any help you can be, and I will hopefully be a more happy member in the future. I love the car in every other respect, but to me this is a safety issue that I have to resolve either through a new aftermarket set of wheels/tires, or OEM ones that work.

mcgomer

Last edited by mcgomer; 07-13-2013 at 11:51 AM. Reason: added wheel style, a resolution.
Advertisement
Old 07-10-2013, 06:02 AM
Officially Welcomed to the 'Fest

Mein Auto: 2011 Z4 35i
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgomer View Post
Hello, My first post here, but unfortunately it is because of cracked rims on my Z4 (19inch/RFT, OEM) I have read the many posts about the issue, but still have a couple of questions.

1. My Z4 is a 2009 CPO, purchased by me in February, does part of the CPO certification of a car certify that the rims are NOT cracked? I want to understand if my normal driving is the cause, or if the damage was done before I got the car.

2. Has anyone figured out a Wheel/Tire combination (19 inch) that seems to be more reliable?

3. Does anyone know the results of any of the Class Action suits that were as a result of this issue and can you point me to links that show any resolutions?

4. Does BMW still sell the Wheel/Tire combination in the US, or have they changed the parts to help get rid of the issue?

Thanks everybody for any help you can be, and I will hopefully be a more happy member in the future. I love the car in every other respect, but to me this is a safety issue that I have to resolve either through a new aftermarket set of wheels/tires, or OEM ones that work.

mcgomer
Most people on the foum will identify wheel issues by the tire style number. BMW has multiple style types per model year depending on sport / non-sport etc so just saying OEM isn't always clear. It is a three digit number. For example, the wheels on the Z4 in my profile pic are style 108. If you have the car's original sticker, it will have the style number. A dealer should be able to tell you immediately or an internet search should also provide a quick answer.

That is a good question about the CPO warranty. However, if the damage wasn't there when the dealer sold you the car (and presumably you would have addressed that at the time) I don't think they are covered. BMW will say that the damage is due to use rather than any sort of defect. Dealers like to sell a separate tire / wheel policy which does cover these sorts of incidences. BMW alloy wheels are notoriously soft and prone to damage. I once ran over a baseball sized rock with my 18 inch 108's and got a pretty severe imprint on my wheel.

I don't know of any class action suits, but I do reacll an action 3-4 years back about the 108's in northern climates where people succuesfully got BMW to replace 108's due to excessive rash caused by road salt.

By design, those 19 inch tires let you feel every bump in the road and the run flats accentuate that too. My latest Z4 has 17 inch wheels which aren't as pretty as the bigger wheels but give a softer ride. Many Z4 drivers switch to non-run flat tires for the better ride characteristics. There are many threads on this forum discussing that. Use the search function.

Good luck

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 07-10-2013, 06:57 AM

Cracked Rims and a couple of questions

Thank you for the reply.

The wheels are the infamous 296's and appear to be the original set on the car. I am trying to edit the original post to include the data.

My previous car had RFT's (Mini Cooper S) which I ditched as soon as I could. I love the look of the 296's, but will replace them with other wheels and tires if the current OEM replacements would still have the problem.

I have read lots of posts on the issue with the conclusion that there is not much hope of getting BMW to replace the wheels without a lot of pushing and shoving. Most of the posts I have read were posted a year or so back, so I was hoping that something had changed in the interim that I had not seen. I also am not sure what checks the CPO certification does with respect to the wheels, so was interested if I could question if the cracks were there or not when I bought it.

And in case you are wondering, its a weekend car, that to my knowledge has not hit any holes of any significance. Of course with the RFT's, running over a lane reflector seems like I hit a cow.

Thanks again
mcgomer
Old 07-10-2013, 03:31 PM

Mein Auto: 2014 BMW Z-4 35 i
For Me, it was the 18 inch #293 wheels - but this time regular Michilen Pilots - NOT RUN FLATS - much softer ride, look great, and my 2009 with the same 293 rims with run flats, never had a cracked rim, even though many pot holes in the Spring in my area. If I were you - i would sell the 19 inch rums along with the run flats, and buy the 293 rims, with normal tires (not run flats). You will be glad you did !

Phil
Old 07-10-2013, 04:16 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
I run the same tire and wheel setup on my Jet Black 2009 Z4 -tires Michilen on #293 18inch. Looks and ride are great. No runflats on my previous Mini Cooper S either! Sold the Cooper for the Z4 an dmade sure there were no runflats before I purchased it.
Old 07-10-2013, 05:09 PM

Thanks again,

Does anyone have any experience with the Yokohama S Drive's on the Z4? I had them on the Mini and loved them. I also did a set of the Yokohama Envigor's on both the Mini and an EX-35. Great tires there too. But I see everyone loving the Michelins.

I have an appointment with the BMW dealer on Friday to look at the wheels, so I will report back and tell my story. The wife agrees that we need to lose the RFT's, but when we do it will depend on what BMW offers.

I called the CPO Mgr to see what they inspected when they did the CPO certification, he says he thinks that they did not take the wheels off the car to look at the inside rims. But they do inspect the outside for any visible problems or inability to hold air. But that to me is not an indication that there are no cracks. He said he had not heard of the issue, so of course I gave him some online things to read. We shall see how it all turns out.

mcgomer
Old 07-10-2013, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Hello, My first post here, but unfortunately it is because of cracked rims on my Z4 (19inch/RFT, OEM 296's) I have read the many posts about the issue, but still have a couple of questions.

mcgomer
1. Although BMW will tell you it is your fault, it is a combination of the RFT tires, a marginal design, and manufacturing tolerances. I would cry to them pretty hard since it is a CPO to replace with the new design. See more here http://e89.zpost.com/forums/showthre...ed+rims&page=3

2. Replace the RFT's with Non RFT's. This will go a long way to minimizing the issue - but not 100%

3. Hasn't made it to court yet - http://www.girardgibbs.com/bmw/

4. BMW respec'd/redesigned the rear 296's about 2 years ago and these are now the production standard They did not change the part number, as that would practically admit to a design flaw. They 296's are still available as a new car option - of course it is the redesigned version.

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 07-11-2013, 04:44 AM

Exclamation

Thank you. Thats some Great Info!

The RFT's are going to go.
Old 07-11-2013, 12:49 PM

Mein Auto: BMW Z4 & BMW 335
Regrding tire choices - I had Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions on my MCS and they were great! I would recommend contacting or going to Tire Rack website and look what tires they recommend for your car and also look at the reviews of others as well. Discount Tire also has a section where buyers review tires as well.
Old 07-13-2013, 11:50 AM

An update.

Had my appointment with BMW service on Friday. And I have to tell you I was completely surprised.

They did an eval and could find no deformation on the wheels, but they saw the multiple cracks on each rear wheel. I had a calm discussion about the problem with service manager. I described the solution that BMW in the UK was implementing. I told him about the class action suit in California and about the hundreds of people online with the issue. He informed me that he had had a Z4 customer with the exact same issue not less that a month before. He made a few phone calls and was an advocate for my position to the people he talked to on the phone.

The net result was that I got the wheels replaced free of charge. I was in shock. Good shock, but shock.

So while my case is unique because of the results of the eval and my purchase within the last 4 months of a the Z4. Because of the thoughtfulness and consideration of the service manager, my faith in BMW is restored for the moment.

Now to get rid of RFT's and put some good tires on.

Thanks everybody for the input and insight. Being prepared made all the difference IMO.

mcgomer
Old 07-13-2013, 11:52 AM
Salaried Tourist

Mein Auto: '14 Z435 is, Benz's & MGs
Very well-reasoned approach, you brought great info to back up your claim, and got a great result!

Well done.
Old 07-13-2013, 12:04 PM

Quote:
An update.

Had my appointment with BMW service on Friday. And I have to tell you I was completely surprised.

They did an eval and could find no deformation on the wheels, but they saw the multiple cracks on each rear wheel. I had a calm discussion about the problem with service manager. I described the solution that BMW in the UK was implementing. I told him about the class action suit in California and about the hundreds of people online with the issue. He informed me that he had had a Z4 customer with the exact same issue not less that a month before. He made a few phone calls and was an advocate for my position to the people he talked to on the phone.

The net result was that I got the wheels replaced free of charge. I was in shock. Good shock, but shock.

So while my case is unique because of the results of the eval and my purchase within the last 4 months of a the Z4. Because of the thoughtfulness and consideration of the service manager, my faith in BMW is restored for the moment.

Now to get rid of RFT's and put some good tires on.

Thanks everybody for the input and insight. Being prepared made all the difference IMO.

mcgomer
What a great story. So glad you were able to get that worked out. Sometimes finding the right person is all it takes. I used to take my son's Z4 to the dealer we bought it from for service, but they denied him a reasonable warranty claim on the top. Took it to my BMW dealer and they fixed it under warranty, no questions asked. Guess who I take all my BMWs to now for service?

Things like this can make you loyal to the dealer and the brand.

Our family's Bimmers - 3 e89's (one turned in), e90 - 335d and e46 - 325i

Old 07-13-2013, 01:15 PM

Quote:
The net result was that I got the wheels replaced free of charge. I was in shock. Good shock, but shock. Now to get rid of RFT's and put some good tires on. Thanks everybody for the input and insight. Being prepared made all the difference IMO.

mcgomer
NICE! Glad it worked out for you!

HerrK - Keine Eifelfahrt ohne eine Runde über den Nürburgring

May 2010 ED l 2011 35i l Crimson over Ext'd Coral Red w/brushed Alum l 6sp MT l Prem Sound l Sport Pack l 296's l Comfort Access l Alarm l Power Heated Seats l & Nav.
FrauK - 2014 Q5 TDI - May 2014 ED | Cuvée Silver over Pistachio beige | Premim Plus | MMI | Nav | B&O
Old 07-14-2013, 08:52 AM
MJK Z435IS

Mein Auto: 2011 Porsche 911-GTS
My current 128 rims(M sport) with run flates have cracks in the paint. Not sure if the actual rim is cracked- If i was keeping the car i would bitch, but have a new Z4 on order to replace the 128. Just an FYI. Noticed this at only 5,000 miles.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:07 AM

Mein Auto: BMW 335iX drive
I have a 335i X drive and I went from 17" runflats to 18" Enkeis with 255/35-18 Bridgestone Potenza Pole Positions. Great ride and super handling!!
Old 12-17-2013, 01:34 AM
Banned

Send a message via ICQ to rsvpinc13
Mein Auto: cancel
cancel timeshare

There is nothing wrong at all with canceling a timeshare as many people often think. Getting into a deal and getting out of it immediately may be wrong but it is always better to do this than to continue with a deal that you would rather be out of. If you took some time off and studied the deal again and realized that it was wrong for you to enter into that agreement, you are right to cancel timeshare and you can enter into another deal anytime when you feel that it is the right one.
Old 12-17-2013, 09:55 AM

Mein Auto: Sequoia and Civic
Based on all the cracked rim posts for this style rim, has anyone figured out if they are limited to 2009 MY 296 rims, or do they persist through to even current model years.